• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Blinding said:
I'll be on in a second, got dragging into playing Monopoly with the family, have to go do a couple things with the animals real fast.

uhh... yeah... ok... I'm not gonna judge you, but...

I'm gonna go ahead and delete Blindinggggggggggggggggggggggg from my friends list

Ordered this game last night, should arrive by end of week. Haven't played an NHL game since 08(except for borrowing a friends NHL11 copy for a few days) so will be pretty useless. Few weeks of prac and I will prob come back here and post my details :) Rather not embarrass myself.

Gritesh

Bought this game today, seriously regretting it.

Can't even score a goal, probably played about 15-20 games tonight, total goals scored by me=3 opponents=10000

Feels like I seriously don't know how to play a hockey video game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gritesh said:

Can't even score a goal, probably played about 15-20 games tonight, total goals scored by me=3 opponents=10000

I was like that too when I first bought NHL 11 last year just keep at it you'll get the hang of it eventually

Blinding

Gritesh said:

Just because you can't score a goal doesn't mean you can't be useful, if you're having trouble putting the puck into the net then try to focus on making good passes in the zone/on the rush, and make sure you're defensive play is the best it can be.

Milly79

Blinding said:
Just because you can't score a goal doesn't mean you can't be useful, if you're having trouble putting the puck into the net then try to focus on making good passes in the zone/on the rush, and make sure you're defensive play is the best it can be.

You're one to talk. I kid, I kid. :)

Milly79

Well, they sure could snipe. High percentage? Or maybe it's kinda the exploit this year. Seemed like they only shot when they knew it was going to go in. I remember it being 3-3 with them having 6 shots and we had 15~.

Marvie_3

Banned
Blinding said:
That game was utter bullshit.
Yeah every weak piece of garbage was going in.

Milly79 said:
Well, they sure could snipe. High percentage? Or maybe it's kinda the exploit this year. Seemed like they only shot when they knew it was going to go in. I remember it being 3-3 with them having 6 shots and we had 15~.
That's the way every game is in the NHL series.

Blinding

Milly79 said:
Seemed like they only shot when they knew it was going to go in.

And they only shot for the top shelf corners. I hate losing games like that because I don't think we could've done about it without exposing the slot.

Marvie_3

Banned
Revenant said:
playing D certainly didn't help my +/- -26 ftw!
b9cce885563fd99d0c6852c0ce9a1f73.png

Marvie_3

Banned
Our Sept. record last year was 58-70-24. We're 37-35-3 right now, so we're quite a bit better than we were at the start of last year.

Also, we really should be grinding through OTP games to build up stat points if nobody else is on. Kinda sucks getting matched up with so many teams that are way ahead of us already.

Gritesh said:

Don't give up on it. What difficulty are you playing on? Don't be afraid to play on the easiest difficulty and move up from there until you get a hang of the controls. If you haven't played previous NHL games since they redid the controls it's a bitch to play at first. I played 2k series until NHL 10 is when I made the switch and I absolutely hated the controls at first and actually played with "classic" controls until I finally gave in and tried to learn the new controls. They seem weird as hell until you use them more and then it feels like second nature. I'm sure most of us felt the same you do now, I know I did when I switched from 2K to EA.

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
Our Sept. record last year was 58-70-24. We're 37-35-3 right now, so we're quite a bit better than we were at the start of last year.

Also, we really should be grinding through OTP games to build up stat points if nobody else is on. Kinda sucks getting matched up with so many teams that are way ahead of us already.
Excuses only go so far.

We should have beat the last team last night. We shit the bed.

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
Excuses only go so far.

We should have beat the last team last night. We shit the bed.
Maybe you should cherry pick less and play defense. ;)

I said we were doing better than we were last year. We should be doing even better than we are now but being behind some teams in stats holds us back in the little things at times. If everyone makes their player better, we'll eliminate almost any advantage other teams will have over us and we'll start winning a lot more games.

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
Maybe you should cherry pick less and play defense. ;)

I said we were doing better than we were last year. We should be doing even better than we are now but being behind some teams in stats holds us back in the little things at times. If everyone makes their player better, we'll eliminate almost any advantage other teams will have over us and we'll start winning a lot more games.

Cherry pick = when down goals. Usually I am the first one back or covering for the D-men... I know you added the ;) though. Wanted to get my point across.

Those guys were not good. Had we been on top of them all game, we would've had them. I'll admit I am not the best on defense (better when rushing back into the zone). I just lose track of the guys moving around, since they are moving a lot. If we all committed to team defense, we would be pretty damn good. More often than not the center is up high with the wingers covering the points while there is an open guy in the slot. Centers need to stick with the centers, no exceptions (and not calling anyone out - everyone is responsible here).

Also, passing. It needs to be worked on. Everyone should be using "classic" or "overhead" camera (imo) so you can get full (or better) vision of the ice. Also, remember you can pre-charge passes. If the passes are on the way to you, hold down RT and aim it to the player you want it to go to.

Forcing passes has been happening a lot. We need to stop trying to go for the cross crease, especially when it's not there. Shoot, pull back, use the points... Something. We are getting screwed on this.

Blinding

Milly79 said:
More often than not the center is up high with the wingers covering the points while there is an open guy in the slot. Centers need to stick with the centers, no exceptions (and not calling anyone out - everyone is responsible here).

I was down in the slot all game, in fact I'm pretty sure I poke checked a few pucks that could've become potential scoring chances. I feel that I've been getting better defensively since that was first mentioned, and I know that I stayed in our zone until the puck left it a majority of the time.

Forcing passes has been happening a lot. We need to stop trying to go for the cross crease, especially when it's not there. Shoot, pull back, use the points... Something. We are getting screwed on this.

I felt like the first two periods last night, there weren't any forced passes, at least not consistently. But as soon as they scored those 3
bullshit
goals to tie the game up, we got into panic mode and started playing sloppy on the rush (and not to mention their center decided to apparently start trying in the faceoff circle.)

I agree that there is a lot to improve upon, but we also aren't playing with the same group of guys, so until everyone gets used to each other I think it's best to go Marvie's route and play the fuck out of OTP to get attributes up just to even the playing field.

LiveWire

Marvie_3 said:

I ground out 10 games on Saturday to get up to Rookie Status. Will try to grind up to Pro tonight.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just ordered a 360 power cable off of ebay. Hopefully it works when it gets to me...
We don't take kindly to your eurotrash ass around here.

Got the Shakes said:
Is there a position you need most?
I put you at RW for now. We're pretty stacked at the wing but it's a good spot to start at and learn club play from if you're new.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Soooooo im buying a booster pack.....I know shameful but I just don't have time to grind out a character right now with everything going on, and I'm tired of getting rocked by guys who play 12 hours a day, so that's that. Hoping to get some games in later, but my roomies are always using my 360 now to watch shit.

Skipped NHL 11 (was too burnt out from the cheese goals of '10), but got '12 and got over 20 games in of OTP during the weekend.

Yeah, checking has been "nerfed" a bit too much, though I realize it does help with the battles in front of the net. In previous games, using the hit stick, you would many times completely knock down people in front of the net either having to get interference penalty or completely getting away with it. This would lead to a lot of cheap goals. But now, using the hit stick, you can briefly nudge people- likely breaking up a scoring chance without risking an interference call or cheaply taking the person out the play for multiple seconds.

For OTP:

- I hate the kids who call for the pass the entire fucking game. If some of the players are computer controlled, their calling for a pass force the pass, generally a weak one, across the rink, which usually get intercepted. Or worse, they'll call for one when the goalie has it, and there are from the opposing team still sitting right next to the net.

-On the topic of passing, this game does show who did/does and doesn't actually play hockey. Passes do not magically go through people as much as they did in the previous games. Passing from deeper in the defensive zone to near the other team's blue line is usually risky. People need to understand the concept of "passing lanes" and the angles a puck has to take in order for it to reach them- you're going to get a pass while two player of the other team are between you and your teammate with the puck. Forwards need to stay in the zone and properly break out- giving their defensemen actual outlets.

-Another thing, some people playing D are backing up too far and too quickly. As a D, you want to progressively narrow the gap between you and the puck carrier- mostly trying to force the carrier to the outside. If the carrier gets near the dots and in between them and there's still a gap between you guys, then you need to step up immediately.

-As one of you mentioned above about not forcing a pass around the next area of the offensive zone, that's definitely a good point. For me, I like to have my forwards spread out- two guys behind the net, and one guy up in the slot, with quick passes to the D from the guys behind net in their respective corners. Quickly pass it around, and wait for one of the opposing players to over-commit and eventually someone will have a more open shot.

Milly79

Something Wicked said:
-As one of you mentioned above about not forcing a pass around the next area of the offensive zone, that's definitely a good point. For me, I like to have my forwards spread out- two guys behind the net, and one guy up in the slot, with quick passes to the D from the guys behind net in their respective corners. Quickly pass it around, and wait for one of the opposing players to over-commit and eventually someone will have a more open shot.

Definitely one of our problems. Forcing is becoming an issue, although I am somewhat part of it (I don't condone doing it, it's just habit). Usually you'll have one guy wide on the boards or very close to it, one in the slot and one below the guy in the slot near the boards. We don't do enough behind the net action. You'll hardly see forwards go there unless they are pushed, and people definitely don't try and use the ones behind the net - they would rather try and force it.

If we can just get out of the habit of trying to force it and use other players, we'd be doing a lot better. Once again, I'm not perfect. Just trying to help.

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
Definitely one of our problems. Forcing is becoming an issue, although I am somewhat part of it (I don't condone doing it, it's just habit). Usually you'll have one guy wide on the boards or very close to it, one in the slot and one below the guy in the slot near the boards. We don't do enough behind the net action. You'll hardly see forwards go there unless they are pushed, and people definitely don't try and use the ones behind the net - they would rather try and force it.

If we can just get out of the habit of trying to force it and use other players, we'd be doing a lot better. Once again, I'm not perfect. Just trying to help.
But what if we like raping the slot with the puck? I know I do. I force that puck in there whether the slot is open and willing to take it or not.

Records are done for the first time this season.

Revenant

Just a few thoughts.

- milly touched on it and I think he's spot on, we have to be more aware of the situation, rather then just try and do the cross crease stuff. If its there it's there, but we need to set up more. D men are still underused, I feel like passing back to the point more and getting the dmen involved up top would be a good step.

Also Dmen need to be keeping their eyes open and getting open as well. Sometimes I see dmen standing 4-5 feet in and basically in a position where an opposing player can block the passing lane easily. Basically the dmen stay scrunched up rather than wider out in the O zone.

- Also, since some of us are new and are still getting to know each other, watch your teammates, learn their tendencies.

- for instance Viz likes to carry it in, If i'm on his side I watch how far he skates up with it, if he passes the center line I slow down a bit as I bet he's taking it in. So new guys, read your teammates!

this applies ESPECIALLY on D!. We have mics, dont be sheepish, even if sometimes the voice lags a bit behind it still can be useful when a puck is dumped in deep and one of you need to retrieve, or as an option to pass to to avoid the forecheck etc. Tell forwards when you're carrying it into the zone or dumping it in.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Milly79 said:

From the games I've played with you and whoever else on the other wing there seems to be a pretty set pattern. You stick to your wing which is fine, and I chill in the slot waiting for a pass from you which may or may not come (which is fine, you like to do your shortside shot a lot but you pass to me a ton too, i'm not bitching one way or another) or I try to get into a screen/tip in position. But me and the LW seem to get all jumbled up in the slot drawing every defender to us (one of us gets tied up, the other is shadowed) and then you can't do a whole lot. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, it just seems that when Milly has the puck the rest of us are a mess. It'd be sweet if we could capitalize on all the juicy rebounds we tend to miss out on : (

Top Bottom