• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Milly79

I don't see it being a mess, honestly.

Here's what usually happens:

A) Short side shot. Sue me. It looks nice if it goes in, especially since I'm left handed.
B) Back to the point.
C) Back to the D cutting to the high slot.
D) Throw it into the slot and hope for the best...
Possibly E) Ring it around the boards
F) Get slammed.

I honestly think Center goes to the slot (permitted he's not backchecking still)
Opposite winger goes behind the net for support

I mean, honestly. What is the other winger going to do if the center goes to the slot area? He could go high slot, yeah, but it would be much more effective if he went behind the net. Why? It's unexpected. Most teams aren't going to get back there quick enough and the winger should have enough time to figure it out.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just for reference, here's what I try to do when the RW has the puck if and when we actually set up in the zone(something we need to do more).

juy1U.png

(RD should be on the boards for a pass back and LD should be at the point. Center is setting screens or trying to get open down in the low slot.) As a LW, I tend to float around that barf colored area trying to give the RW a passing option or get read for a rebound if he or another player he passes to shoots it. If we want to start using behind the net, just say so and I'll move deeper in the zone to snag the puck back behind the goal line. This formation gives us a lot of options on offense. If the puck works its way over the the LW, then the whole thing shifts to the opposite side and the barf colored area is where the RW should be.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Milly79 said:

A) Short side shot. Sue me. It looks nice if it goes in, especially since I'm left handed.
Short side away, you have to score for the both of us <3

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
Just for reference, here's what I try to do when the RW has the puck if and when we actually set up in the zone(something we need to do more).

juy1U.png

(RD should be on the boards for a pass back and LD should be at the point. Center is setting screens or trying to get open down in the low slot.) As a LW, I tend to float around that barf colored area trying to give the RW a passing option or get read for a rebound if he or another player he passes to shoots it. If we want to start using behind the net, just say so and I'll move deeper in the zone to snag the puck back behind the goal line. This formation gives us a lot of options on offense. If the puck works its way over the the LW, then the whole thing shifts to the opposite side and the barf colored area is where the RW should be.

Beautiful. Maybe it will all change once we get on the same speed attributes (or near there).

Usually I don't have enough time to do anything beside getting it back to the point or taking a quick shot because you guys are still kinda catching up and they are on my butt.

Oh, and the right handed number has went up. I changed. :x

Easier for me to pull of the "dance" as Viz likes to call it, and the one handed deke.

Revenant

Marvie has it right i think, We need better support for whoever has the puck.

I typically try to get in front of the net since my character is a power forward built for that, if i need to go behind the net more often I can though. I just prefer to screen, I did it in real life so it just sorta happens in EASHL.

on a side note, maybe im imagining this, but do you get a bit of a stat buff at teh beginning based on your position. I'm a right winger according to my pro, but i've been playing a lot of left wing, feels like my right wing is slightly higher overall.

Milly79

And if you guys want to play, just post in here. Currently trying to root my phone to no avail. About to throw it under Shea Weber's windup.

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
Usually I don't have enough time to do anything beside getting it back to the point or taking a quick shot because you guys are still kinda catching up and they are on my butt.
Cherry pick less? ;)

Revenant said:
Marvie has it right i think, We need better support for whoever has the puck.

I typically try to get in front of the net since my character is a power forward built for that, if i need to go behind the net more often I can though. I just prefer to screen, I did it in real life so it just sorta happens in EASHL.

on a side note, maybe im imagining this, but do you get a bit of a stat buff at teh beginning based on your position. I'm a right winger according to my pro, but i've been playing a lot of left wing, feels like my right wing is slightly higher overall.
Did you actually go in and set your attributes for your different positions? :lol

Blinding

Double hatty from me and Milly. :> Marvie got like 20 breakaways and couldn't find the back of the net though, oh well.

Marvie_3 said:
We don't take kindly to your eurotrash ass around here.

I put you at RW for now. We're pretty stacked at the wing but it's a good spot to start at and learn club play from if you're new.

RW is fine. I played a bunch in NHL 10, but kind of took last year off so it might take me a minute to get back into the swing of things.

Marvie_3

Banned
Blinding said:
Double hatty from me and Milly. :> Marvie got like 20 breakaways and couldn't find the back of the net though, oh well.
It would probably be better for me just to stop and wait for someone to pass to instead of taking it in on breakaways. I don't think I've scored on one all season yet.

My +/- is up to an improved -7 now. We had some really solid games tonight. Still a few fuckups here and there but we played pretty well. Gotta go pick up Gears 3 now but I might be up for a few more games later.

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly, this is what I was talking about instead of being out by the right halfboards.

EVRAE.jpg

If there are a bunch of guys CLOGGING THE SLOT, I try to take the puck up a bit because a lot of teams leave a gap between their high and low defensive spots. If you move in closer I can hit you with a quick pass through that gap and set up a good scoring chance for you.

Milly79

Alright Marv. Jesus Christ.

Like I said, I'm more used to trying to play defensively responsible, so I kinda hang back rather than rushing closer to the net. I mean, it makes sense, but someone has to hang back a bit. I'll try and work on it, but I can't promise anything. I've been playing the same way since '08.

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
Alright Marv. Jesus Christ.

Like I said, I'm more used to trying to play defensively responsible, so I kinda hang back rather than rushing closer to the net. I mean, it makes sense, but someone has to hang back a bit. I'll try and work on it, but I can't promise anything. I've been playing the same way since '08.
Wait, so you play defense when we're in the offensive zone yet are nowhere to be found when the other team has the puck in our zone? whathehellman

I'll just yell at you until you learn. Plus, since I'm moving back out with the puck, I can just keep going and drop back to play some defense after I've gotten the puck to you.

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
Wait, so you play defense when we're in the offensive zone yet are nowhere to be found when the other team has the puck in our zone? whathehellman

I'll just yell at you until you learn. Plus, since I'm moving back out with the puck, I can just keep going and drop back to play some defense after I've gotten the puck to you.
I'm better playing defense on the rush. And I'm no where to be seen? Lol. Guess you need to get your eyes checked.

Milly79 said:
I don't see it being a mess, honestly.

B) Back to the point.
C) Back to the D cutting to the high slot.
D) Throw it into the slot and hope for the best...
Possibly E) Ring it around the boards
F) Get slammed.

I honestly think Center goes to the slot (permitted he's not backchecking still)
Opposite winger goes behind the net for support

I mean, honestly. What is the other winger going to do if the center goes to the slot area? He could go high slot, yeah, but it would be much more effective if he went behind the net. Why? It's unexpected. Most teams aren't going to get back there quick enough and the winger should have enough time to figure it out.

You're not going to win, I got yelled at last year because of tendency to always go to the boards behind the net when the puck was on the other side.

Marvie_3 said:
We don't take kindly to your eurotrash ass around here.

I put you at RW for now. We're pretty stacked at the wing but it's a good spot to start at and learn club play from if you're new.

More like Jagr is testing the waters to come back to the NHL! :D

Marvie_3 said:
Records are done for the first time this season.

Most Hits (overall)
Marvie_3 - 160
Milly79 - 96
DokterrHouse - 71
TheVisualizer - 66
Blindinggggg - 61

Highest Hits/game Avg.(min. 20 games)
Marvie_3 - 2.96
Nozdeuce - 2.19
Milly79 - 1.75
Revenant - 1.59
TheVisualizer - 1.43

who dat?

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
I'm better playing defense on the rush. And I'm no where to be seen? Lol. Guess you need to get your eyes checked.
I take that back. I do see you but you're usually by the other team's blue line just hanging out. ;)

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
More like Jagr is testing the waters to come back to the NHL! :D
That's fine then. I was worried he was going to try to come back to the EASHL.
:D

TheVisualizer said:
Most Hits (overall)
Marvie_3 - 160
Milly79 - 96
DokterrHouse - 71
TheVisualizer - 66
Blindinggggg - 61

Highest Hits/game Avg.(min. 20 games)
Marvie_3 - 2.96
Nozdeuce - 2.19
Milly79 - 1.75
Revenant - 1.59
TheVisualizer - 1.43

who dat?
That's gotta be at least 20 times the total number of hits you had last year.

Marvie_3 said:
I take that back. I do see you but you're usually by the other team's blue line just hanging out. ;)

That's fine then. I was worried he was going to try to come back to the EASHL.
:D

That's gotta be at least 20 times the total number of hits you had last year.

You know what I meant dammit!

LiveWire

Good games last night. We started really well and did well cycling the puck (particularly on the first two goals). That late rally by the other team though was rough. I'll take some of the blame since I had been out of position on RD. I'm still trying to figure out if it's OK to pursue the opposing player with the puck to the boards if my side is covered, or if my sole defensive responsibility to is park my ass on the blue line for cycling the puck and preventing breakaways? I have great ratings for hitting people, but I'm wary of trying to lay someone out and risk leaving an open passing lane.

Marvie_3 said:
When you moved there, pinko

One thing I do hate is how they're money is different sizes. Why the hell would you make a $100 big enough where it doesn't fit comfortably in wallet so everyone can see if you have at least $100.

Just got my copy (on the 360), this is my first NHL game since the gamecube/ps2 era. Looking forward to loosing a lot of games trying to figure out the control scheme. Any recommendations you got for me?

Marvie_3

Banned
Clockblockers said:
I already assumed that part, why get a new game if I play with the old scheme
Exactly. It'll take a bit to get the hang of it but once you do, it's great.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
One thing I do hate is how they're money is different sizes. Why the hell would you make a $100 big enough where it doesn't fit comfortably in wallet so everyone can see if you have at least $100.
Because if you're dumb enough to carry that much cash, you deserve to get mugged. They're trying to help you!

Top Bottom