• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Enron

Banned
GamePnoy74 said:
If I had loads of extra expendable cash I'd want to get the modern versions of Steve McQueen's watches:

Rolex Explorer II (new 2011 model coming out later this year)
rolex.jpg

I think the old school Explorer is so much nicer. It's the only Rolex I truly want.

Rolex_EXPLORER_1.jpg

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Ok. Now I'm curious.

I want to know a bit about watches. WTF would a timepeace without exotic metals and jewels costs thousands of dollars, when I can buy a perfectly good timepeace that costs less than 100 bucks? What is it about swiss "movement" that makes it so desirable and expensive? How can you tell a knockoff from the real deal when handling high end watches like Rolex?

Enron

Banned
mr jones said:
Ok. Now I'm curious.

I want to know a bit about watches. WTF would a timepeace without exotic metals and jewels costs thousands of dollars, when I can buy a perfectly good timepeace that costs less than 100 bucks? What is it about swiss "movement" that makes it so desirable and expensive? How can you tell a knockoff from the real deal when handling high end watches like Rolex?

Do what i did. watchuseek. All you ever wanted to know contained within its boards.

Enron said:
I think the old school Explorer is so much nicer. It's the only Rolex I truly want.

Rolex_EXPLORER_1.jpg

The old school 1655-series Explorer II is a beauty...the extra orange hand is what sets it off and I like how the new model is inspired by that detail...the 1655 is now considered a collector's item and is priced accordingly...

exp6.jpg

Enron

Banned
GamePnoy74 said:
The old school 1655-series Explorer II is a beauty...the extra orange hand is what sets it off and I like how the new model is inspired by that detail...the 1655 is now considered a collector's item and is priced accordingly...

Every damn used rolex is a collector's item :<

I don't think im ever going to own one.

Lamel

Banned
I have been looking to get a nice watch, some general info: I'm in my teens, budget of around $100 and I prefer leather strap over metal.

Any recommendations?

Enron

Banned
Saadster said:
I have been looking to get a nice watch, some general info: I'm in my teens, budget of around $100 and I prefer leather strap over metal.

Any recommendations?

Seiko or Citizen

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Enron said:
The Seiko Marinemaster is HUGE. I don't think it'd dress up well. Onkel used to/has one so maybe he can chime in.

I own a Seamaster Pro (2254.50, one of the last automatic ones before all this coaxial business) that was brand new under 2 grand. You could probably find a used one of those for around 1200 or so. Seamasters dress up pretty good. They aren't chunky or widehuge and will work as an everyday and a dressy watch. Especially if you get an Aqua Terra. Those dress up great. Planet Ocean is a bit larger, and is the most "tool-y" of the Omega divers (Ploprof aside). Tags are ok, but if the price range is similar i'm going for Omega every time.
Seamaster Pros seem to be going for around $1500 used over at WUS. I actually didn't like the Tags that much but I just saw the new Aquaracer 500 in person and it is a damn nice piece.

Sinns are pretty tooly but pretty iconic, bombproof and look good in a simple sort of way.

Not sure...

D6AMIA6N

Ok, here is what I decided on. Citizen Skyhawk A-T JY0005-50E Should be here next week. $383 from Amazon, retails for $699. I really like that Omega Planet Ocean, but I just don't have that kind of dough to blow on a watch.

EDIT: That one says Titanium, but the one I ordered is stainless I believe.

JY0005-50E__84616_zoom.jpg
citizen-atomic-radiocontroled-jy0005-50e_97079.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
offtopic said:
Maybe a Sinn U1, UX or something along those lines. Depends on your budget though...

I'm studying up for a first real watch purchase as well. Something in the 1.5-2k range. I'm not going to collect but I'd like ONE nice diver that can be dressed up or down and that is a very durable watch that can be worn every day. So far thinking of Sinn U1, used Omega Seamaster Pro (or maybe planet ocean), Seiko Marinemaster or Tag Heuer 500m aquaracer (the new one).

Anyone have thoughts on these if you could only wear ONE watch? Anything to add to the list?
UX is a nice watch, actually I'm wearing it right now:
smallP1040053.jpg

Might be too big/heavy for wrists below 17cm circumference, though.

Mind that it is Quartz-driven, so at least every 7years you'll have to send it in to Sinn for battery replacement and oil refill.

another great everyday watch from Sinn would be the EZM3, it's more the Rolex Sub size:
smallP1040068.jpg

smallP1040046.jpg

smallP1030749.jpg

If you want something rare, you could also go for a Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001, great watch but only via Japan import:
mm5rt6.jpg

smallP1020427.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Yeah the EZM3 is definitely nice as well. Go back and forth between that and the U1 as to which might be a better fit for me.

BrettWeir

latinlikeaviolin said:
Hey Wristwatch-GAF, have I a tip for you: Orientwatchusa.com is having a private 50% off sale. Just use coupon code SecretSale50. I've never handled their watches before, but they look nice.
I have a Mako, which is decent. I would get Orient over Alpha any day of the week.

Okay, I'm sure that this watch isn't much by the standards of you aficionados, but here's the watch I've been wearing pretty consistently since it was given to me as a gift about twenty years ago, when I was in middle school:

5205443127_0e41a588ca_b.jpg

It's part of the "Age of Discovery" series from Seiko that was released in 1992 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' 1492 voyage, which is why it and its brethren have a theme that looks kind of old world, and a little bit like a ship's steering wheel. I think I remember that it retailed for $300 or $350 originally. I've had the crystal replaced a few times, the movement once, and the black snakeskin wristband as well (the photo isn't mine, but my watch is identical although a little more beat up).

For the movement, I had to send it back to Seiko USA's HQ in New Jersey. The original movement, unfortunately, has been discontinued so they had to put in a slightly different one that took away the timer function. I've kept my eyes open since then for the proper one I can cannibalize. Even though the timer doesn't properly work right now, the stopwatch does, and so does the alarm, which has a really nice chime to it. The dummies also replaced the hour hand on the lower alarm clock for some reason, and they did so with a reflective hand instead of a white hand like the rest of them. Nobody else would notice it, but I did immediately. The back has an etching of a ship at sea.

I know it's pretty dated (although now it's quickly becoming vintage instead), but I've always come back to it for daily use, and I hope I never lose it.

besiktas1

My watch gave me a rash :( First time it's ever happened to me in over 10 years. I'm scared to put it back on...

P.S. I want that Gucci grammys watch soo bad. I will get it soon. I just need someone to enable me to do it...

Got this Citizen Wingman C080 at a thrift store the other day:
WrpDH.jpg

Was surprised that once I got a new battery in it everything worked great. Pretty cool being able to keep track of the time in 3 different time zones at once.

Echoes

I want an &#937; Speedmaster Professional. However, I need some guidance in here. I don't really know what I want exactly. I don't understand the minor differences between the Speedmaster Professionals. Anyone can shed some light on me?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Echoes said:
I want an &#937; Speedmaster Professional. However, I need some guidance in here. I don't really know what I want exactly. I don't understand the minor differences between the Speedmaster Professionals. Anyone can shed some light on me?
What exactly do you want to know?

First Difference is between the Speedmaster line (automatic movement) and the Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) line (manual winding movement).

Within the Speedmaster Professional line there are a plethora of limited/special editions, but the basic watch and movement are mostly identical. Differences come from the printings on the dial and other details.

Echoes

I love its looks and most importantly the fact that it's the first watch to land on moon. Yesterday I went to an Omega store near my house and the salesman showed me 2 watches, one seemed "traditional" while the other is automatic (has "co-axial" printed on it). I really want the 40th Anniversary LE but I can't find it, so I'm fine with the regular one. But not sure what's the difference between those two.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Echoes said:
But not sure what's the difference between those two.

OnkelC said:
First Difference is between the Speedmaster line (automatic movement) and the Speedmaster Professional (aka Moon Watch) line (manual winding movement).
You are looking for the latter.

My current watch... Strap is slightly darker though, also the hands are also black. Much less chrome on the real thing.

fc1033b.jpg

And this is my other watch. Batteries need replacing though.

Twelve_5-9_L.jpg

Echoes

OnkelC said:
yes. Go for "Speedmaster Professional", not any other name.
Is there any difference between the automatic & manual? Setting the watch every day seems uninviting.

Also, what do you think of this one? There's only 2 of it in Kuwait (where I live) and I like it, but I'm not sure if it fits the "landed on moon" criteria that I want (since it doesn't have "Professional".)

Last but no least, your thoughts on this (seems like what I'm looking for): http://rbkk.org/7aht

Takuan

latinlikeaviolin said:
Hey Wristwatch-GAF, have I a tip for you: Orientwatchusa.com is having a private 50% off sale. Just use coupon code SecretSale50. I've never handled their watches before, but they look nice.
Can anyone else vouch for this company? I'd never heard of them until today. Their site shows some pretty decent watches, and very few are particularly expensive even before the 50% coupon.

Takuan said:
Can anyone else vouch for this company? I'd never heard of them until today. Their site shows some pretty decent watches, and very few are particularly expensive even before the 50% coupon.

This is the one i have (not my pics). The quality for the price is very good. Sapphire crystal on front and back. Made in Japan in house movement. Dual time zones. The movement is hacking but not handwinding. The clasp on the leather belt is very good quality. I highly reccomend Orient (they are now owned by seiko). I think japanese watches offer better value for the money when compared with the swiss. The quality of this watch is on par with or better than most automatic Tissot's but for the fraction of the price.

17.jpg

12.jpg

Echoes said:
Is there any difference between the automatic & manual? Setting the watch every day seems uninviting.

Also, what do you think of this one? There's only 2 of it in Kuwait (where I live) and I like it, but I'm not sure if it fits the "landed on moon" criteria that I want (since it doesn't have "Professional".)

Last but no least, your thoughts on this (seems like what I'm looking for): http://rbkk.org/7aht

Thats the automatic one, not the moon watch. This is the speedmaster watch

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional/35705000

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Echoes said:
The Speedmaster Pro has a power reserve of 48 hours, so it will run for two days when fully wound. If you wind it every day, it will never stop an you only have to set the date every other month.

The Non-Professional/Automatic Speedmasters are "only" good Chronographs without the heritage of the Moon watch.

Enron

Banned
Echoes said:
I love its looks and most importantly the fact that it's the first watch to land on moon. Yesterday I went to an Omega store near my house and the salesman showed me 2 watches, one seemed "traditional" while the other is automatic (has "co-axial" printed on it). I really want the 40th Anniversary LE but I can't find it, so I'm fine with the regular one. But not sure what's the difference between those two.

Try giving Torneau in Atlanta, GA (Lenox Mall) a call. I think they had a 40th Anniversary LE last time I was in there. I think. Worth a shot.

OnkelC said:
The Speedmaster Pro has a power reserve of 48 hours, so it will run for two days when fully wound. If you wind it every day, it will never stop an you only have to set the date every other month.

The Non-Professional/Automatic Speedmasters are "only" good Chronographs without the heritage of the Moon watch.

They are also a bit smaller than the Speedy Pro. I have a 7.25"ish wrist, and the speedy auto that i tried looked way tiny.

Roofy

Onkel, hopefully you can help me.

I'm looking for something resembling the Uniform Wares 300/200 series watches. Something with quasi Bauhaus design no more than 200. Any ideas?

please dont tell me there's nothing and I'll have to wait to pick up a 200 series :(

Echoes

I got two watches, one from Calvin Klein and the other is from Oris, which I'm so friggin' happy about.

I can't take a good picture with my iPhone for the CK watch; it's the one this guy is wearing:

Screen%20shot%202011-06-25%20at%209.50.42%20AM.png

It's real classy and goes well with all my outfits. Got it for 200$.

The Oris is such a fantastic watch. I got the Oscar Peterson Limited Edition, limited to 1925 pieces, and only 3 are available in my country.

Photo-Jun-25,-9-32-02-AM.jpg

- the dials resembles piano keys (Oscar Peterson is an 8-Grammys jazz/pianist)
- you can't see it in the photo, but the VIII roman number is gold-plated, a nod to his 8 Grammys
- the inner circle is a small depiction of a vinyl record

I'm not a huge follower of Oscar Peterson, but this watch has the same trait I was going for with the Omega Spedmaster Professional: a noble goal behind it that represents me. Albeit both are entirely different, I love for fashion to well represent me and this watch does this thing pretty well. I'm a huge music fan in general, and every time I glance at the piano keys, all I can do is smile. Such a fine piece of art.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Winged Creature said:
Onkel what do you think of the new speedmasters with the Omega in house movements??
i haven't hat the chance to collect experiences with one of them. all that i know is that they run with less than 28,800bpm. Since the base movement is still an ETA one, i am not too thrilled by them tbh. If somebody offered me a new PloProf, I would not reject it, though ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Roofy said:
Onkel, hopefully you can help me.

I'm looking for something resembling the Uniform Wares 300/200 series watches. Something with quasi Bauhaus design no more than 200. Any ideas?

please dont tell me there's nothing and I'll have to wait to pick up a 200 series :(
200 in which currency?

Closest resemblance would be the Stowa Antea, which is a bit more pricey but a design icon:
http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,130900297921967,en,1309002992-22089,antea,,,,.htm
Antea-KS-weiss-3.jpg

Or go Seiko Automatic with the Riki Watanabe Alba:
http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-AAAA101/ALBA-Automatic-Watch-RIKI-WATANABE-AAAA101.html

s_aaaa101a.jpg

OnkelC said:
i haven't hat the chance to collect experiences with one of them. all that i know is that they run with less than 28,800bpm. Since the base movement is still an ETA one, i am not too thrilled by them tbh. If somebody offered me a new PloProf, I would not reject it, though ;)

According to Omega the 8500 and 9300 are completely inhouse

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Winged Creature said:
According to Omega the 8500 and 9300 are completely inhouse
Omega watches is part of the swatch group, which happens to own ETA as well, so technically (and legally) even a stock ETA movement can be labelled an Omega In-house movement. the specialty of the Omega movements is a special / newly designed escapement, resulting in the lower BPM count.

Gvaz

Banned
So currently I got this one as a gift:
vn0Sk.jpg

But I really really want this one, but it's a bit of money for me.

eisb7.jpg

Cruceh

Banned
Winged Creature said:
This is the one i have (not my pics). The quality for the price is very good. Sapphire crystal on front and back. Made in Japan in house movement. Dual time zones. The movement is hacking but not handwinding. The clasp on the leather belt is very good quality. I highly reccomend Orient (they are now owned by seiko). I think japanese watches offer better value for the money when compared with the swiss. The quality of this watch is on par with or better than most automatic Tissot's but for the fraction of the price.

http://ugcs.caltech.edu/%7Eohazi/misc/CDH00002B/17.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://ugcs.caltech.edu/%7Eohazi/misc/CDH00002B/12.jpg
Yeah, I was browsing the site and that was the watch that immediately stood out to me. Either that or this:
tQzgh.jpg

thinking of getting one.

Top Bottom