• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Roofy

OnkelC said:
200 in which currency?
well I'm Canadian but for simplicity's sake, USD

Closest resemblance would be the Stowa Antea, which is a bit more pricey but a design icon:
http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,130900297921967,en,1309002992-22089,antea,,,,.htm
http://www.stowa.de/cosmoshop/pix/a/z/anteakskleinesekunde/g/Antea-KS-weiss-3.jpg[/mg]

Or go Seiko Automatic with the Riki Watanabe Alba:
[url]http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-AAAA101/ALBA-Automatic-Watch-RIKI-WATANABE-AAAA101.html[/url]

[ig]http://static.zoovy.com/img/kseiya/W640-H480-Bffffff/s_aaaa101a.jpg

I've seen the Stowa Antea before and loved it but its much much more than 200 dollars, let alone euro's. Thanks for the advice though :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Anyone have suggestions for a simple but elegant woman's watch for about $200-250 Aussie dollars?

I want to buy it for my wife as a present as she recently busted her everyday watch (she has a nice gold one that I bought her but that's for going out).

torontoml

Hey guys wondering if someone here can answer this question, I'm thinking about getting this watch:
yhst-61328479525951_2162_36231634

its the Citizen Titanium World Perpetual A-T.

What I'm wondering about is what is the range on this radio frequency atomic clock. I'm in Canada on the Atlantic coast, Halifax most of the time.

EDIT: NVM I just found the manual for the watch online, and it seems I'm out of range so its kinda a waste to buy this watch.

olore

Witchfinder General said:
Anyone have suggestions for a simple but elegant woman's watch for about $200-250 Aussie dollars?

I want to buy it for my wife as a present as she recently busted her everyday watch (she has a nice gold one that I bought her but that's for going out).

In that range I would look at the japanese; Seiko, Citizen etc

Looking for a Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos right now, so if anyone knows of one for sale... Yes, probably a longshot but you never know

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ended up buying a nice but simple Seiko for the missus. Should be here soon, hopefully.

In the meantime, I've decided to treat myself and get a decent watch for everyday use as my old Seiko dies long ago and have been watchless ever since. I was going to buy a Stowa as I love the clean Bauhuas aesthetic but it's a little too nice for a day-in-day-out watch and I'd rather save up for a proper dress watch like an Omega or a Grand Seiko.

So my current pick is this:

SEIKO Automatic Alpinist SARB017

s_sarb017a.jpg

It looks great, seems ruggedly built and comes with a strap rather than a metal bracelet which I'd rather on a dress watch. A couple of questions:

Is buying it from Seiya Japan the best way to buy it? (I live in Australia)
Is it worth spending a bit more to get the crocodile strap over the standard one?

Any other watches I should be considering? I'd consider spending up to about $800-900 MAX.

Cheers.

(As an aside, reading through this thread made me realise just how expensive this hobby is, until I remembered that I'm an audiophile who's spent the equivalent of a decent Patek Philippe on my stereo. hell, just the cartridge on my turntable costs more than a starting Omega)

Those models are for the japanese domestic market only so going with Seiya Japan would be one of the few ways to get that watch. According to the watchuseek forums Seiya japan has an excellent reputation.

Takuan

So my current pick is this:

SEIKO Automatic Alpinist SARB017

s_sarb017a.jpg

It looks great, seems ruggedly built and comes with a strap rather than a metal bracelet which I'd rather on a dress watch. A couple of questions:

Is it worth spending a bit more to get the crocodile strap over the standard one?
That watch had me drooling a few years ago. It's a really nice piece.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Takuan said:
That watch had me drooling a few years ago. It's a really nice piece.

It is. I'm also contemplating this one:

s_sarb065a.jpg

It's more of a dress watch than the Alpine but the Alpine is probably better for everyday use. Plus you can read it in the night.

Aaaaah, I can't choose!

TxdoHawk

So, if I'm looking at dropping $250-300 on a watch, who should I look at besides Seiko and Orient? I'd especially love diver suggestions at that price range...I love the look of the Submariner, but it seems anything resembling one clocks in at several grand or has some goofy detail I don't particularly like. Closest thing I have found that appeals to me is the Seiko SKX173. Actual diving capabilities do not matter to me, I'm lucky if I see the ocean once a year.

TxdoHawk

Okay, so, looks like Seiko makes some excellent homages I totally missed. Question, is it worth it to now find the discontinued SKX031, compared to importing one of the newer 2011 "Sea Urchin"'s? I didn't see many differences, but I know OnkelC has/had a 31 from earlier in this thread.

slider

I use this currently:

25k6dc8.jpg

I know I'm being very fussy. It's great for various activities as it has an altimeter, compass, thermometer and various other functions. But, and this really annoys me, it's stopwatch only goes to 60min.

Anyone know of something similarly specced but with a 24hr stopwatch? Solar power would be useful but not essential (as it has gone flat on me a couple of times!).

Enron

Banned
TxdoHawk said:
Okay, so, looks like Seiko makes some excellent homages I totally missed. Question, is it worth it to now find the discontinued SKX031, compared to importing one of the newer 2011 "Sea Urchin"'s? I didn't see many differences, but I know OnkelC has/had a 31 from earlier in this thread.

I also had an skx031 which is now in the hands of another gaffer. I like the Sea Urchin better. Nicer hands, and most certainly has what will be a nicer bracelet. The 031 bracelet is one of the worst ones of all time.

TxdoHawk

Enron said:
I also had an skx031 which is now in the hands of another gaffer. I like the Sea Urchin better. Nicer hands, and most certainly has what will be a nicer bracelet. The 031 bracelet is one of the worst ones of all time.

Yeah, I think it's definitely looking like the urchin, then. Thanks for your input!

D6AMIA6N

Hey Onk! Thought you'd appreciate this one. Just ordered a Seiko SRP043K1. Citizen Skyhawk AT Black Eagle last month, and a "spork" this month. After hearing all the praise for Seiko divers, I had to get one myself!

srp043k102.jpg

TxdoHawk

Here's another vote for Seiko divers! Fired up the 'Bay and pulled the trigger on a Sea Urchin: About $130 after a $10 upgrade to expedited shipping.

SNZF17K1-1.jpg

Looking forward to getting this one in, seems like a lot of watch for the money based on impressions found. I'll try and get some decent shots when it arrives.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
slider said:
I use this currently:

25k6dc8.jpg

I know I'm being very fussy. It's great for various activities as it has an altimeter, compass, thermometer and various other functions. But, and this really annoys me, it's stopwatch only goes to 60min.

Anyone know of something similarly specced but with a 24hr stopwatch? Solar power would be useful but not essential (as it has gone flat on me a couple of times!).

I enjoy this, for some reason I like watches that do a lot of shit, and look like Bond gadgets.

Link to it?

Anyone else have any reasonably priced watches that look like Bond watches? :p

D6AMIA6N

TxdoHawk said:
Here's another vote for Seiko divers! Fired up the 'Bay and pulled the trigger on a Sea Urchin: About $130 after a $10 upgrade to expedited shipping.

SNZF17K1-1.jpg

Looking forward to getting this one in, seems like a lot of watch for the money based on impressions found. I'll try and get some decent shots when it arrives.

WOW! For the price that is an amazing watch! Impressed, nice pick up TxdoHawk!

Was looking into more of the classic/old-school G-Shock 5000 or 5600 styles...until I came across this bad boy:

Casio G-Shock GX-56 - 'The King'

GX-56-1B_l.jpg

It's just so massive compared to the original 5000/5600

322662d1284728041-gx-56-1a-vs-1b-%2A%2Apic-heavy%2A%2A-gxw6.jpg

I'll eventually get a cheap 5000/5600 later on.

Enron

Banned
D6AMIA6N said:
WOW! For the price that is an amazing watch! Impressed, nice pick up TxdoHawk!

I wouldn't call it amazing. It looks good, for sure, but the automatic movement isn't all that fancy (although it is near bulletproof), and the materials and fit/finish aren't going to be what you'd find in a swiss watch. The bezel in particular is kinda plasticy and isn't that solid (at least on the 031) and the bracelet will be adequate. It's nice for the price, but amazing no.

Edit: I really like that Seiko Spork. I havent been keeping up with Seiko the last couple of years, but I may have to get me one of those.

Enron

Banned
Marinemaster - Oh so nice looking, but oh so huge. I dont have small wrists, but that thing looks like id be wearing a stack of pancakes on my arm ;_;

slider

Deadly Cyclone said:
I enjoy this, for some reason I like watches that do a lot of shit, and look like Bond gadgets.

Link to it?

Anyone else have any reasonably priced watches that look like Bond watches? :p

It's a Casio Pro-Trek. I just Googled it and, apparently, it's a: Casio PRW5000-1ER Protrek Radio Controlled Watch!

It does temperature too and probably a whole load of other stuff I don't know about. Was quite expensive when I got it but from that Google search is available for a lot less now.

I've recently discovered http://www.creationwatches.com/ and they seem to have some good deals.

EDIT: And Here's mine on that website.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Winged Creature said:
Speaking of large watches, how large would the Seiko Sumo wear? Is it similar to the seiko 007 or the seiko monster??
it's rather on the 007 side:
smallCIMG5451.jpg

smallCIMG5453.jpg

smallCIMG5519.jpg

comparo with 007. (actually a 009)
smallP1000029.jpg

smallP1000030.jpg

SBDX001 for good measure:
smallP1010471.jpg

smallP1010470.jpg

smallP1010472.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
they are about the same diameter, but the marinemaster wears much taller/higher on the wrist and is a good bit heavier than the sumo.

Peru

I'm literally staring at a screen where I can confirm with one click that I'm ordering an Omega Seamaster Diver chronometer - my 'goal' watch, the big one. I finished my master's degree this spring and got a job, and I always used to say that once the steady income was established, I'd spoil myself with this. I still live cheap so it's within my range at this time in my life.. I gotta do it, but can I? Will I? Brb

h3ro

Anyone have experience or own a Seiko Black/Orange Monster? What do you guys think of it? I think it's a gorgeous watch and I've had good experience with my previous Seiko.

I'm looking for an everyday watch for work that isn't going to break the bank. It's currently a tossup between that and the slightly more expensive Tissot PRC200 (black face).

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd like to stay under US$300 if possible. I know it's not a lot, but I'll save my splurging once I finish up my training. :)

Peru

Peru said:
I'm literally staring at a screen where I can confirm with one click that I'm ordering an Omega Seamaster Diver chronometer - my 'goal' watch, the big one. I finished my master's degree this spring and got a job, and I always used to say that once the steady income was established, I'd spoil myself with this. I still live cheap so it's within my range at this time in my life.. I gotta do it, but can I? Will I? Brb

It's done. Now for the waiting game.

007d-500x291.jpg

Peru

Thanks! A lot of money, had to do a real thinkover about it.. but in the end spending a month's wage on a brand watch that will last forever isn't that hard a choice.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Peru said:
Thanks! A lot of money, had to do a real thinkover about it.. but in the end spending a month's wage on a brand watch that will last forever isn't that hard a choice.

Exactly, that's the same way I felt. It's better to buy when you can, instead of waiting for another time/opportunity since that time might never come. And if it comes again you can always buy another watch.

Enron

Banned
Peru: which one did you get? pic plz

I want another Omega, but with three already I find it hard to justify a 4th.

Peru

The pic is right above you! Well, almost. It's the Omega Seamaster Diver 2220.80.00, Co-Axial Chronometer

22208000-50.jpg

I will undoubtedly turn into an annoying unboxer when it arrives.

Cruceh

Banned
Just bought this. Not bad for $90. It gains 4-5 seconds a day.
A few minor complaints, though:
-No lume on second hand. No idea why as there's definitely enough space to fit a dot in.
-Mineral crystal. I haven't scratched it yet, but sapphire would've been nice.
-A second crown to change the days of the week? Really?

I want a Planet Ocean eventually though. Those things are beauties.

eZAid.png

2Ej4m.png

h3ro

So I went ahead and ordered a Seiko SKX779K Black Monster today. :D Looking forward to receiving it!
Fi98V.jpg

WYnBi.jpg

Love the look of this thing. <3

Enron

Banned
Cruceh said:
Just bought this. Not bad for $90. It gains 4-5 seconds a day.
A few minor complaints, though:
-No lume on second hand. No idea why as there's definitely enough space to fit a dot in.
-Mineral crystal. I haven't scratched it yet, but sapphire would've been nice.
-A second crown to change the days of the week? Really?

I want a Planet Ocean eventually though. Those things are beauties.

That's the biggest complaint about the Orient Mako. The silly little gimmicky push-button date set. That's the only reason why I don't have one in the watchbox. Otherwise its great for the price.

Sailor

Winged Creature said:
This is the one i have (not my pics). The quality for the price is very good. Sapphire crystal on front and back. Made in Japan in house movement. Dual time zones. The movement is hacking but not handwinding. The clasp on the leather belt is very good quality. I highly reccomend Orient (they are now owned by seiko). I think japanese watches offer better value for the money when compared with the swiss. The quality of this watch is on par with or better than most automatic Tissot's but for the fraction of the price.

17.jpg

12.jpg

What watch is this??

Baconbitz

Banned
linkboy said:
http://www.casio.com//resource/images/xlarge/gw500a-1v_xlarge.jpg

This is my watch, its not as nice as the ones posted, but I love it. I love the fact that its solar-powered and automatically sets itself.
Could you tell me the name of this watch?
Edit: I figured it out by looking at the link.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn this thread, I keep finding watches I like only to find that I cannot afford 3/4 of the things in here. Might just do a G-Shock.

Top Bottom