• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
If I describe a particular watch that I saw someone wearing, could someone help try to identify it? It was fairly brief, seeing as the guy was getting off the bus and only had his wrist in front of me for a few seconds, but I got a very good look at it:

- Lightweight metal mesh band, 3/4" wide; I'm guessing steel, although it had a faint brown tint.
- Thin, shallow bezel, same silver/sand color as the band. One tiny winding stem.
- Round, clean face design. Four Roman numerals, typeface was a bit elongated and very thin, white/silver color. I think there were four dots alternating with the numerals, as well.
- Face was a metallic blue, almost the color of the blue LEDs on a lot electronics.

Naturally, the only thing I didn't see was the brand! I've never worn a watch in my life (I've got child-size wrists and don't really like things on them in the first place) but this one really caught my eye.

Stalfos

Cosmic Bus said:
If I describe a particular watch that I saw someone wearing, could someone help try to identify it? It was fairly brief, seeing as the guy was getting off the bus and only had his wrist in front of me for a few seconds, but I got a very good look at it:

- Lightweight metal mesh band, 3/4" wide; I'm guessing steel, although it had a faint brown tint.
- Thin, shallow bezel, same silver/sand color as the band. One tiny winding stem.
- Round, clean face design. Four Roman numerals, typeface was a bit elongated and very thin, white/silver color. I think there were four dots alternating with the numerals, as well.
- Face was a metallic blue, almost the color of the blue LEDs on a lot electronics.

Naturally, the only thing I didn't see was the brand! I've never worn a watch in my life (I've got child-size wrists and don't really like things on them in the first place) but this one really caught my eye.
Kind of sounds like some Skagen's that I've seen on Amazon except for the lettering part
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C9ZBZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007X9F74/?tag=neogaf0e-20

h3ro

So I've received my Seiko Black Monster. Gorgeous watch. Only thing is, I need to pick up a Watch Winder.

Can anyone recommend a cheap winder that I can use since I'm not going to be wearing the watch on a daily basis?

Peru said:
The pic is right above you! Well, almost. It's the Omega Seamaster Diver 2220.80.00, Co-Axial Chronometer

22208000-50.jpg

I will undoubtedly turn into an annoying unboxer when it arrives.

Very nice.

The Seamaster PO has been great so far. Still love it very much. It being my first automatic I'm actually quite delighted by its accuracy. One of the features I've come to appreciate is the crazy luminescent job. It's at least twice as bright as that of my Sinn and lasts considerably longer (in fact I have not had it run out on me in the dark).

soultron

Banned
tumblr_lpbu0xB38T1qigxx0o1_500.jpg

Hoping this isn't a generic and that someone can help identify it. Reminds me of the nicer Braun watches we've been seeing lately.

Enron

Banned
h3ro said:
So I've received my Seiko Black Monster. Gorgeous watch. Only thing is, I need to pick up a Watch Winder.

Can anyone recommend a cheap winder that I can use since I'm not going to be wearing the watch on a daily basis?

Don't bother. Not worth the space it takes up. Just pick up the watch when you aren't wearing it and jiggle it about 20 times. that should keep it running for another day or two.

soultron

Banned
Does anyone here know a good place or brand to look for when replacing cloth straps?

I have a really nice canvas strap on one of my day-to-day watches, but it's really worn. I'm trying to get a decent canvas or sailcloth strap, but I don't really know where to begin. It's a single-piece strap watch, if that helps.

I've got myself a Seiko "World Time" Flight chrono w/ analog/digital (SNJ018). I like it, but it's sort of a battery hog. It's also annoying to try and read in low light, as the "glow-in-the-dark" pretty much sucks unless you charge it up really good in the sunlight and move to a dark room shortly after.

76017-7.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation to get a look/style like this with either motion or solar power? Also, a huge plus would be if it automatically sets time via radio (I really regret not fiding a watch with this feature last purchase). Obviously a better low-light solution would be appreciated. =)

Peru said:
Yes the PO is a badass watch. May be a bit big for my small wrists. Which color did you go with again?

Well, the regular size is smaller and should be appropriate for small wrists. I have medium-smallish wrists I guess, but I like the 45.5mm size much more. Looks good on the wrist to me and also in the mirror. All down to personal preference.

5511068732_a67f2c272a_m.jpg

The version with orange numbers was a little too much for me. I prefer the white.

Have you received your 300m yet? You have yet to post up pictures ;)

TheExodu5

Banned
My Orient already has a little scratch in it. I guess that's what I get for not getting something with a Sapphire window. =\

Some mineral crystals are pretty strong, like the hardlex on seiko divers. Not quite as tough as sapphire but very scratch resistant. Is your Orient the mako?? those crystal are prone to get scratched easily...cant have it all for that price unfortunately.

TheExodu5

Banned
Orient Metro, as posted on the last page. I think it happened this morning as I fumbled
and dropped the watch from 4 feet as I was trying to put it on (leather band is not as easy to put on as metal bands).

TheExodu5

Banned
Winged Creature said:
They have generic crystals for all types of watches shapes and sizes, so you should be able to find one.

This is my watch:

watch.jpg

The face is square and very curved...not very traditional. Where would I begin to look for such a crystal?

BigAT

Hi Watch-GAF, I come looking for advice as I'm about to buy a new watch and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I haven't really had one since I was in high school (about 8 years ago) so I'm looking for what stores/brands would be a good place to start browsing.

If anyone has any specific recommendations I would appreciate it. I think I'm looking for a leather strap, as the metallic ones tend to pinch my arm hair, and the most I want to spend is around $200, although I would prefer to keep it under that if possible.

The discus burger is a japan only model that is supposed to be sold out, I luckily managed to find one. Ive also seen the white one around. Very hard to find.

SUPREME1

Banned
Guevara said:
51YKNmUfaFL.jpg
517NwptDZNL.jpg

Anyone have recommendations on the Seiko 5? I like that it's automatic but I'm not sure if the size is right.

I don't usually like watches with that type of band, but I love that one.

Nice.

S. L.

Guevara said:
51YKNmUfaFL.jpg
517NwptDZNL.jpg

Anyone have recommendations on the Seiko 5? I like that it's automatic but I'm not sure if the size is right.
you should check it out in real life, it's a fairly small watch

Snaku

Banned
Winged Creature said:
The discus burger is a japan only model that is supposed to be sold out, I luckily managed to find one. Ive also seen the white one around. Very hard to find.

Yeah, I can't begin to describe my intense jealously.

Akim

Banned
Anyone know anything about this watch? It's a Timex Skiathlom, I think it was made for skiing. Google is failing me. I'm wondering if it's worth the $10 I paid for it.

ZmYYM.jpg

pj

Banned
I got a Seiko SNZF17K1 "Sea Urchin" from ebay for $139, like someone else did a few pages ago.

I really like it so far. It looks great and is very accurate. It fits my wrist pretty well, but I wouldn't mind if it was a mm or two larger.

seiko-snzf17k1f.jpg

Mine
6029493707_ac7bb9622f_z.jpg

moist

snzb24j1-1.jpg

The rents got me this snzb24 for finishing my degree and I really like it.... till I can afford a the Bremont Supermarine i have been lusting after.

JoeMartin

Does anyone have any experience with Stowa (EDIT: or any other good companies, I know the Flieger is a popular model)? I'm seriously considering buying a Flieger.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
JoeMartin said:
Does anyone have any experience with Stowa (EDIT: or any other good companies, I know the Flieger is a popular model)? I'm seriously considering buying a Flieger.
Very nice small manufacturer, big recommendation.

Top Bottom