• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

soultron

Banned
Winged Creature said:
I would doubt that its a knockoff since Seiko 5s are really cheap as is and it wouldnt be worth it to make fakes.
Thanks! I'll be pulling the trigger next week. My Nixon Private is on its last legs (strap is about to tear) so this will make for a nice replacement.

pj

Banned
So, turns out old ass watches are super cheap. Went on a bit of a spree today and yesterday.

6259487934_66c4e61a73.jpg

6259487714_e5bd2a12e5.jpg

6256657266_08492e3f3d_b.jpg

6255725901_781d19750b_b.jpg

All for less than $200 total! Can't wait to get them

CFMOORE!

pj said:
So, turns out old ass watches are super cheap. Went on a bit of a spree today and yesterday.

6259487714_e5bd2a12e5.jpg

All for less than $200 total! Can't wait to get them

i really like this one. tell me about it so i may find one dirt cheap!

pj

Banned
CFMOORE! said:
i really like this one. tell me about it so i may find one dirt cheap!

It's a Titoni airmaster. I paid $42 + $20 shipping. From the little research I've done, it's a swiss brand that was mainly sold in asia. There's tons of them on ebay

soultron

Banned
Worst watch sales man ever.

Asked if he had the military model of the Seiko 5 (the one a few posts up) with the cloth strap. He said, "I have the Seiko 5 autos, yeah. And a Seiko solar with a cloth band. I can switch the strap out for you, no problem." I didn't want him to sell me a watch that wasn't the specific model I was looking for, so I asked if he could order it, to which he said he wasn't willing to do that because he would just switch the strap from the solar onto one of the metal-band Seiko 5s.

I left without waiting for him to finish. What an ass.

IMACOMPUTA

PandaJones said:
Hey Gaf, can any of you help me identify this particular watch? I found it on ffffound (ha) but there was no info to go with it. tineye has a couple of hits too but they're no help either.
If anyone has any suggestions it'll be greatly appreciated.

vWG9i.jpg

I'm really interested in buying one of these (im cheap, so i'd prefer the knock off)

or this

camel4.jpg

I really know nothing about watches, so can someone give me a tip on what i should search to find one of these?

soultron

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
I'm really interested in buying one of these (im cheap, so i'd prefer the knock off)

or this

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6602/[/IM]

I really know nothing about watches, so can someone give me a tip on what i should search to find one of these?[/QUOTE]
Using tineye, I found this result:

[URL="http://szhaman.livejournal.com/602967.html"]This is in Russian.[/URL]

It's a [B]Marina Militare[/B]. I want one now too. :c

EDIT: They're $20K. [I]Damn.[/I]

pj

Banned
3341450692_3b4eef932a_b.jpg

Got one of these for 68 bux used, never worn.

I think I'm done buying watches for a while. Buying used and vintage makes it too easy to end up with a pile of something that you can only use one at a time.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
IMACOMPUTA said:
These sites have them for under 100 USD.

http://www.siswatch727.com/index.do
http://www.jacksontse.com/index.html

The 20k ones are actually Panerai's.

These Marina Militare are homages to Panerai.

(not knock-offs, because they don't pretend to be Panerai)

I'm just having a tough time finding one that matches the picture..

Homage is a bit generous, they might not knock-offs but they sure are rip-offs/copies. They copy the design exactly.

Edit: maybe I'm misinterpreting homage (might mean the same thing)

Zaptruder

Banned
Keen said:
Homage is a bit generous, they might not knock-offs but they sure are rip-offs/copies. They copy the design exactly.

Edit: maybe I'm misinterpreting homage (might mean the same thing)

You are not. a homage makes iconic design elements obvious and stand out, while still respecting the intellectual property rights of the original designers.

A rip-off is a rebranded copy. If you're going there, you might as well get a proper rip-off.

Bought this as a christmas present for myself last year and it's been good to me so far. It's been the first 'proper' watch I've had and despite having the time on my phone, I've really enjoyed wearing it and it's definitely changed my outlook on watches in general. What does GAF think?

bWFDU.jpg

the face itself looks awesome in person. It's like carbon fibre soundproofing. The only thing so far is that like a dick, I fell over being a bit too drunk and have scuffed a bit of the metal around the face. Luckily enough the glass is unharmed. Can I get that buffed out anywhere? Is it worth it?

soultron

Banned
Zaptruder said:
You are not. a homage makes iconic design elements obvious and stand out, while still respecting the intellectual property rights of the original designers.

A rip-off is a rebranded copy. If you're going there, you might as well get a proper rip-off.
It looks decent, but some elements look noticeably "cheap." Namely the faux leather/suede straps. I'm thinking of getting one custom built from him, just asking him to leave the strap out so that I can get my own.

EDIT @ Barnaby_Jones: I normally don't like full-metal watches, but that's very slick! Was it a present to yourself for meeting a life goal or something? c:

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zaptruder said:

Then I stand by my initial statement.

soultron said:
EDIT @ Barnaby_Jones: I normally don't like full-metal watches, but that's very slick! Was it a present to yourself for meeting a life goal or something? c:

I got it during a very productive spell in my life as a reminder of how quickly time can fly if you don't keep a close eye on it.

I guess I've joined the watch collectors.
Got the Fossil in the spring, just received the Citizen today as a work milestone gift (had my choice of several items... chose the watch).

Quite the difference between the two watches. The Citizen feels dainty after wearing the Fossil. Still needs sizing too.

6354969805_51238ccb7d_z.jpg

Murkas

Been thinking of getting a watch but my hairy wrists always holds me back, every watch I've been given has been the ones with those clicky metal bands (like the watch on the left in the above post), this makes my hair get caught in between it and it hurts :(

I would like a nice watch with a leather band which (I hope) eliminates that problem.

Anyone know where I can get such a thing that ships worldwide/to the UK for a decent price? Browsing through this thread has intimidated me with all those different shops/websites.

MedIC86

I almost bought this the other day

Untitled-1112.jpg

Its so beautifull, but spending that kind of money on a watch, i dont know. it just feels wrong. i've been looking at it for some time now, but i can never get myself to actually buy it. im afraid of getting buyers remorse somehow :p

LazyLoki

So, as I've said before in this thread (on page 1), my current watch is this:

TAG Heuer 2000 series men's chronograph
2000menschronor2cia.jpg

I love it to pieces and wear it constantly, but recently, I feel I need something more casual. Also, bigger. The TAG looks almost tiny on my wrist, but a big enough "real" watch will take a while, as my standards are a bit high and every watch that I'd like is a bit out of my current price range :(

I kinda like Fossil, and I think I'll buy this one:
jr9990cqdjv.jpg

Any reasons not to? What's GAFs opinion on Fossil in general?

I don't get all the love for analogue watches. My digital watch has an alarm, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, etc. Why go for something less functional?

Guevara

^Fossil has some really nice designs. The problem is that the dome is just regular glass so they tend to get scratched quickly and/or look foggy as they get wear. Good for the price though.

Hayvic

are a bit high and every watch that I'd like is a bit out of my current price range :(

I kinda like Fossil, and I think I'll buy this one:
jr9990cqdjv.jpg

Any reasons not to? What's GAFs opinion on Fossil in general?

I got a similar model and since I bought it I'm swimming in pussy. Go for it!

LazyLoki

I don't get all the love for analogue watches. My digital watch has an alarm, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, etc. Why go for something less functional?

Well, for me, my watch isn't just another gadget. This is what I use my iPhone for, I tend to view watches more like jewellery.
They're about style and aesthetics.
And I'd really feel dumb if I used my iPhone as a watch :)

Looks like the watch may be too big for my wrist. It is leather, which is lighter than the metal band, but with the case thickness at 15 mm and the case size at 46 mm, I'm SOL.

I'm kinda bummed out. It's a very nice looking watch.

Venfayth

Okay, so, a starcraft 2 caster (Day9) posted that he has this pocket watch:

AeuX_VKCIAAYl-g.jpg:small

I know that this is a wristwatch thread, but does anyone know where I could find this? It's so badass.

Oh, wow. I just checked out the specs to my Jack Bauer spec ops watch: case size is 42 mm. I think it may just work out! And it's 25 dollars cheaper on amazon!

A lot of analogue ones do too, including my everyday Seiko (from 1992):

5205443255_537cfe10be.jpg
A stopwatch function with analogues, though? Why give up decimal values and accuracy for a vague pointer?

Well, for me, my watch isn't just another gadget. This is what I use my iPhone for, I tend to view watches more like jewellery.
They're about style and aesthetics.
And I'd really feel dumb if I used my iPhone as a watch :)
Incomprehensible to me...!

LazyLoki

Looks like the watch may be too big for my wrist. It is leather, which is lighter than the metal band, but with the case thickness at 15 mm and the case size at 46 mm, I'm SOL.

I'm kinda bummed out. It's a very nice looking watch.

Is there a huge price difference between buying online and in-store? Just try it on, it might fit after all.
(aside from that, finding a perfectly sized watch can indeed be a bitch)

Edit: Obsolete, see above.

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
Okay, so, a starcraft 2 caster (Day9) posted that he has this pocket watch:

AeuX_VKCIAAYl-g.jpg:small

I know that this is a wristwatch thread, but does anyone know where I could find this? It's so badass.

I tip my hat to you, fellow pocket watch enthusiast.

Girlfriend got one that looks really similar to that off of ebay.
Came from Hong Kong, so I'm not sure if it is a rip off of anything or not.
Hers has held up pretty well though.

Just look for skeletal or skeleton watches, there's tons of cool looking ones out there.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I almost bought this the other day

Untitled-1112.jpg

Its so beautifull, but spending that kind of money on a watch, i dont know. it just feels wrong. i've been looking at it for some time now, but i can never get myself to actually buy it. im afraid of getting buyers remorse somehow :p

I bought myself a Tag Kirium 10 years ago as a gift to myself, and never regretted it for a second. Tag's are very versatile watches that dress up and down easy, are reliable, and not so expensive that you'll second guess that purchase in future years.

So, as I've said before in this thread (on page 1), my current watch is this:

TAG Heuer 2000 series men's chronograph
2000menschronor2cia.jpg

I love it to pieces and wear it constantly, but recently, I feel I need something more casual. Also, bigger. The TAG looks almost tiny on my wrist, but a big enough "real" watch will take a while, as my standards are a bit high and every watch that I'd like is a bit out of my current price range :(

When I wanted a more casual, cheaper alternative to my Kirium, I picked up a Tag Formula 1 watch. These come in at the bottom end of the Tag range price wise but are also bigger than average.

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/formula-1/formula-1-models

I also recently picked up a Seiko Orange Monster which is good value for money IMO.

I generally wear watches for style, not function (beyond basic timekeeping at least).

Besides, all but one of my analogue watches have stopwatch etc functions including 1/10 and 1/100s accuracy, not that such accuracy actually means anything given human senses and reaction times.

FL4TW4V3

I just ordered a Seiko SKX007K2 but, having not seen the watch in person, I don't like the jubilee bracelet that much. My question is, which is the highest quality NATO strap I can get? I'm looking for a black with grey stripes (Bond) one with 5 rings. I've read there are a lot of really cheaply made online. Cheers!

Staab

Grabbed myself this baby as a pre-christmas gift :

Swiss brand based in Geneva, great quality, love the look and not that expensive.
FC-315BS4C26.png

Top Bottom