• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

ChanHuk

Banned
Then sit on it a bit, buying a luxury watch is like buying a car. You're going to lose money on it no matter what. Used like the car market is definitely the way to go unless you're like me and just prefer to always buy new. A starter luxury watch you look into is any of the Hamilton line of watches. Anyone who knows watches will tell you that you can never go wrong with a Hamilton watch. I'm looking to pick up a Hamilton Khaki King now as a everyday watch.

Enron

Banned
The SMP is borderline fashion watch, that's why they pushed the Planet Ocean. Take away the band from the SMP and you got yourself a watch that looks like a fossil no offense. It's a nice watch, but its not a timeless design like the Speedy or Planet Ocean (Which is a Seamaster).

Oh good lord. Where do I start...

Yeah, not timeless at all. It's only based on the designs from the 50s/60s Seamaster 300 diver.

Here's the history of the original Seamaster 300 diver

Here's the old school Seamaster 300

fe2ec296.jpg

Here's the 2254.50 again

5228099515_df85a44963_o.jpg

Big lumed sword hands and large lumed rectangle/triangle indices for maximum visibility underwater. Shares probably 75% of the design of the original diver. Also has a lumed dot on the bezel and a release valve to prevent gas buildup inside the case. Yeah, what a total fashion watch! Looks JUST like a fossil as well.

Then sit on it a bit, buying a luxury watch is like buying a car. You're going to lose money on it no matter what. Used like the car market is definitely the way to go unless you're like me and just prefer to always buy new. A starter luxury watch you look into is any of the Hamilton line of watches. Anyone who knows watches will tell you that you can never go wrong with a Hamilton watch. I'm looking to pick up a Hamilton Khaki King now as a everyday watch.

Well at least I can agree with that. Why the hell would anyone buy a watch as some sort of investment?

ChanHuk

Banned
The SMP, has the classic diver watch design. That being said, get yourself one of those Seikos listed earlier. The SMP has nowhere near the same pedigree as the Speedy. Everyone that I've known that has a SMP usually sells and get a PO or a Speedy.

Haha... the reason for the new movement is to combat chinese copies.

New movement, new window in the back to see it.

The chinese copies are of a very high degree of accuracy (they've even gotten the idiosyncratic lack of upturned feet on the omega symbol correct (as Omega uses the upturned feet for all their other models)). But they use the sea horse plate etching on the back which hides the movement (but is accurate to the older models).

Even so, the actual cost of manufacturing one of these couldn't be more than a couple hundred in material, and maybe upto a grand in labour.

Nice watch though, enjoy it.

Not just so that the Chinese cant copy, but also to say they have a in-house built movement and not one just sourced by ETA. Those things bring more prestige to a brand.
Some of the new Seamasters have ceramic bezels as well.

Mar

Well, soon after buying my first watch it seems I've been bitten by the bug. While I absolutely love what I have, I've been attracted to getting a mechanical watch and something less 'functional'. At first I thought I had to have a chronograph and luminous hands, but thinking about it, watches aren't really for function as it will always be beaten by that other thing on you at all times, the smart phone. So I began looking for a watch that I could appreciate purely on design.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this in the next few weeks:

Baume-et-Mercier-Classima-8688-1.png

I went and saw it in person the other day, and unlike another watch I was considering, actually looks as good if not better than what it does in photos.

I've always loved watches, but never could afford the really nice ones. I went through your typical cheapie's, with a few stand-out watches I wish I had kept. (Casio calculator watches, Swatch watches, the usual).

A couple years ago I bought myself my first "expensive" watch when I entered into my current career.

At the time I thought it was an expensive watch anyways at just under $500. It's a Seiko SNJ018 world time flight chrono. It's got a lot of bells and whistles I will never use. I really liked that it had both analog and digital movement.

18215105_260.jpg

It was, (and still is) a great workhorse watch for me. I smash it into things without thinking twice. Really nice Quartz watch.

Well, I recently took on a new job, and a new pay scale, and I am ready to buy another watch to mark the occasion. This time I want an automatic, and I am looking for something a little more timeless than the Seiko.

I love the size of my 45mm Seiko, so immediately I am drawn to the Omega Planet Ocean (previous generation model with non-transparent back). At $3000, it's at the extreme top end of my budget. (and at over $6000 for the current generation I don't know what they're thinking!!!).

My love of Omega watches has always been with the Speedmaster mentioned in the OP (better or worse, the idea of the "moon" watch is pretty damn cool), but hot damn if the Planet Ocean isn't something special to look at. The pricing on the Speedy is about the same as last gen's PO.

What do you guys feel about the Planet Ocean when comparing it to the Speedmaster? Keeping in mind, this will potentially be the only super luxury watch I will own for the next 10 years. Is the PO w/ orange horns/bezel going to be as timeless as the classic blackface Speedmaster? Where is the money better spent?

I prefer the Speedmaster Pro to the Planet ocean, although i do like the new 8500 movement alot since it uses and silicon hair-spring and has a largers power reserve. If I were to go Planet Ocean I would go with the current generation. Otherwise Speedy pro all the way.

I prefer the Speedmaster Pro to the Planet ocean, although i do like the new 8500 movement alot since it uses and silicon hair-spring and has a largers power reserve. If I were to go Planet Ocean I would go with the current generation. Otherwise Speedy pro all the way.

I think you probably are right.

Part of me is jealous of Solideliquid a few posts up, but I honestly think I will be just as happy with a speedy.

Did Omega ever put out a speedmaster at larger than 42mm?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Here's the 2254.50 again

5228099515_df85a44963_o.jpg

Big lumed sword hands and large lumed rectangle/triangle indices for maximum visibility underwater. Shares probably 75% of the design of the original diver. Also has a lumed dot on the bezel and a release valve to prevent gas buildup inside the case. Yeah, what a total fashion watch! Looks JUST like a fossil as well.

Well at least I can agree with that. Why the hell would anyone buy a watch as some sort of investment?

I'm usually not that fond of the seamaster professional, but that is really stunning!

edit: Here's a really pretty awesome collection of watches. The guy whose wrist they are on is to my understanding a watch photographer and/or a dealer, so not all are his. Either way I'm speechless.
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5846752&rid=0

Enron

Banned
My love of Omega watches has always been with the Speedmaster mentioned in the OP (better or worse, the idea of the "moon" watch is pretty damn cool), but hot damn if the Planet Ocean isn't something special to look at. The pricing on the Speedy is about the same as last gen's PO.

What do you guys feel about the Planet Ocean when comparing it to the Speedmaster? Keeping in mind, this will potentially be the only super luxury watch I will own for the next 10 years. Is the PO w/ orange horns/bezel going to be as timeless as the classic blackface Speedmaster? Where is the money better spent?

I would buy the Speedy Pro all day, every day over the Planet Ocean. If that's what you want, get it. Don't settle. Otherwise every time you look at your PO you'll think about the Speedy Pro.

fancimus

great thread, seems like we all have some pretty nice watches! Here's my Omega Speedmaster:
qeQMt.jpg

This is pretty much the standard/classic speedmaster, but I like the look and have had it now for almost a year. Maybe someday, if I'm making the big bucks, I'll upgrade to a Rolex or a Vacheron.

great thread, seems like we all have some pretty nice watches! Here's my Omega Speedmaster:
This is pretty much the standard/classic speedmaster, but I like the look and have had it now for almost a year. Maybe someday, if I'm making the big bucks, I'll upgrade to a Rolex or a Vacheron.

Don't bother. Get another Omega! Nice speedy btw.

Rage Kage

Neo Member
8100-ST-05207_FSA.jpg

Got this one for a graduation present. I have never heard of Raymond Weil before, but apparently it's a quality watch. Got any wisdom to throw down about this, GAF?

Mar

qeQMt.jpg

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that said, I never understood the attention Rolex get. Very uninteresting and plain designs in my opinion.

fancimus

I think it's more of a nostalgia thing for me with Rolex/Vacheron...more that I've just grown up seeing them in my family and what-not.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
A vacheron is just watchwanking!

Sure they're expensive, but my definition of watchwanking would more be something like Hublot. Something more style than substance. VC is one of the oldest manufacturers and has many great watches. It's not considered part of the big three for nothing...

Don't bother. Get another Omega! Nice speedy btw.

I appreciate the speedmaster, and I have a titanium X-33, but the speedmaster pro just isn't my thing.

I don't like chronographs, and the second hand should be for seconds. Something about a second hand just not moving at all (as in not counting the seconds) bothers me.

I think the Seamaster Pro is a handsome watch. I especially like the waves on the dial. But if I were to buy an expensive diving watch it would have to be a stainless steel submariner with a black face. But I too love the Speedy Pro. I'd love to own one. I'd probably go used either way. I think you can get a nice 80/90s vintage for around 2,000. I believe a new speedmaster pro without the sapphire caseback is over 4 grand. The new ceramic bezel Rolex Subs are over 7. I think the green tinted milgauss are cool too.

It sucks they cost so much. There is really no reason for it other than they can charge that and people will still pay. I have read adjusted for inflation, submariners used to be much less expensive than now. Omegas too. They have really skyrocketed in price the last few decades.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I've developed an unhealty obsession with the AP Royal Oak, especially with the leather strap (here on the rose gold):

uTVbyl.jpg

Pq1zdl.jpg

It's stupidly expensive, but hopefully in a couple of years, provided I get a good job after I graduate in the spring, I might be able to buy one.

And to make matters worse, I have this as a grail watch (but that is way way out of my league price wise). A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1. Such a beautiful piece!

M3v4Pl.jpg

moon phase:

WG
xaPP6l.jpg

RG
dN13Fl.jpg

Time to hit the lottery...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I got a couple more watches to add to the collection (images not mine).

Seiko Orange Monster - I bought it around Christmas 2010 but it was broken out of the box and it took me a year to get round to having it fixed. Have been wearing it almost every day since for the last few weeks, changing up from my Tag Heuer Kirium which has been my mainstay for over 10 years.

581830d1324273249-spotting-wis-wild-monster.jpg

Phosphor Mann Buzzin Appear - wanted to get something fun as a conversation starter when out on the town. A little more understated in person than it looks in the photo, but when people notice it they are intrigued. Girls love it.

Short review video which shows the face in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fx4KoGrcbE The watch in the video has a patent leather gloss finish, while mine has a matte black finish (the only thing that separates the guys versions from the girls version).

phosphor-swarovski-crystal-watch-1107-14-abenini@1.jpg

D6AMIA6N

Just placed an order for a Stowa Seatime Prodiver. Will look very similar to this, orange minute and seconds hands, green bezel, same bracelet and dial color. Estimated delivery, late June, but I just hope it arrives in time for my birthday, July 18!

*This is another owners photo, not mine!

Stowa_Prodiver000.jpg

TCRS

Banned
My new watch arrived today. This is my first watch as an adult since I was... nine I think. Soon after mobile phones became mainstream and I never had any reason to wear watches. But now I'm starting to appreciate them.

Due to limited funds however I was very restricted in my choice so I decided for something simple and solid:

A Casio MQ-24-1BLLGF

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NLTZZC/

Still better than pulling out your fone to check the time.

Hey guys. I am looking to finally get a nice watch. I've really only owned a couple sport watches awhile back, but want something I can wear casually that also looks really good when I'm out.

I really like the Movado watches, but also saw some nice ones by Fossil that are cheaper. What do you all think?

AsEHDl.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OCR8EC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

QTyIwl.jpg

nMCoyl.jpg

How much do you want to spend? I would always reccomend Seiko over fossil anyday on a budget and even when not on a budget.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=fVMOY19...SEIKO-Mechanical-Automatic-Watch-SARB033.html

this watch has a fantastic mechanical movement for the money.

Mar

I don't know if Instagram works as an image host.. Apologies if not and I'll fix later.

But this is my 'collection'. A chrono and a dress watch. I want to get a dive watch next, something I can bang into walls without my heart skipping beats. But the ones I have my eye on are a little expensive... At least so soon after buying my last watch anyway.

871364ce728211e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

31084d84806e11e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

89cbd3145c8311e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

sruckus

How much do you want to spend? I would always reccomend Seiko over fossil anyday on a budget and even when not on a budget.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=fVMOY19...SEIKO-Mechanical-Automatic-Watch-SARB033.html

this watch has a fantastic mechanical movement for the money.

I would like to stay under the $250 mark if not well under. This is my first "real" watch and I don't need anything incredibly fantastic quite yet, but I do want something stylish, simple (I like the silver and black face look), that looks get with jeans and dressed up.

Is Seiko worth getting over the ESQ Movados or no? I saw cheaper ones over at ashland.com

CFMOORE!

went for a walk in the beverly center today, didn't know they had an Omega store and so I decided to walk in and ask about servicing my Seamaster. Owned it for 12 years and never had it serviced. I figured it was time.

I'll be watchless for 10 weeks! And the initial quote is $480 for the service. It will probably go up from there.

I almost want a new watch to tide me over till the service is done.

sruckus

Well aside from just now looking that up on Google since I didn't know what the difference was, I don't really have an opinion on it ha. What's the general preference or reasons for choosing one over the other?

Quartz is more accuarate then automatic, but require batteries. Automatic/mechanical work by having your movement winds a spring which powers the watch, no batteries are needed. The power reserve is 40 hours. Generally most watch enthusiasts prefer automatic/mechanical watches since they are the way watches were traditionally made. Most of my watches are automatic with the exception of my G-shock. It all boils down to preference. The one of the most evident visual differences is that an automatic has a sweeping seconds hand and the quartz has a ticking seconds hand. Most of the watches in this thread appear to be of mechanical nature, just like the Baume and Mercier posted above with the open heart show casing the balance wheel.

Enron

Banned
went for a walk in the beverly center today, didn't know they had an Omega store and so I decided to walk in and ask about servicing my Seamaster. Owned it for 12 years and never had it serviced. I figured it was time.

I'll be watchless for 10 weeks! And the initial quote is $480 for the service. It will probably go up from there.

I almost want a new watch to tide me over till the service is done.

480 bucks for a service???? Fuck!

Top Bottom