• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Hackbert

I prefer the top one of those two. Looks classier and can dress both up and down better I would say. Though maybe switch in a soft black leather strap like the bottom one has?

thanks. the strap of the first one was bothering me too. Will be replaced, if i buy them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
10 hours? Yeah that's crap mate. You'll want to get a winder for it so you don't drive yourself batty setting the damn thing every other time you put it on.
more like three days, but the point is you have to treat it like a habit. Which I perversely enjoy.

magicstop

I'm sporting this . . .
3NQww.jpg

I really, really love it, except the metal band around the face tends to get dinged up, and when it does, the silver color of the metal underneath shows through a bit. I wish it were a little more resilient and tough for the $300 is goes for . . . Chump change to you guys, it would appear, but far more than I typically spend on anything like this.

olore

that´s the one i am looking at to get for my birthday:

The upper one gives me Suunto vibes so go for that.

I am pretty pleased with my 14060M but miss the date complication so am looking for a Submariner/Seadweller with date. The Deepsea 116660 is fantastic but $$$

fa6704f9.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The upper one gives me Suunto vibes so go for that.

I am pretty pleased with my 14060M but miss the date complication so am looking for a Submariner/Seadweller with date. The Deepsea 116660 is fantastic but $$$

fa6704f9.jpg
I am so happy that I got one of the last series of the "original" Sea Dweller a few years ago:
100117Mix018_DxO_raw1024x768.jpg

gate777

Here's my collection. The first 2 are mine (battery). First one is a Roots watch, second is GUESS but it doesn't keep the correct time any more, even with a fresh battery.

The rest are my Father's, all mechanical watches. Far right is AETOS brand with 25 rubies, the one beside it is a SEIKO (almost 30 years old) with 17 jewels and the rest are just general SEIKO mechanical.

3JdYo.jpg

Here's the one I chose to wear. It has a cheap band on it so I'll replace that and get it cleaned as well.

z4tz9.jpg

Enron

Banned
I dig that Seiko. Get that crystal replaced and stick another bracelet on it, and it would be really nice. If you could somehow get the case refinished, it'd look dynamite. I have an Omega Geneve that has a similar look to it from the 70s, and I absolutely love it.

gate777

I dig that Seiko. Get that crystal replaced and stick another bracelet on it, and it would be really nice. If you could somehow get the case refinished, it'd look dynamite. I have an Omega Geneve that has a similar look to it from the 70s, and I absolutely love it.

Thanks, I dig it as well. It works great so far. How much do you think replacing the crystal would be? It's pretty scratched up so I would like to replace it along with the band and give it a good cleaning/oiling.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
what's a good watch review site?

i want to get this watch, but i'd like to read some reviews on it.

http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/products/model/BM6770-51E

Usually, if a manufacturer ist well recognized, you can buy any watch in their portfolio. Citizen is one of the large watch manufaturers with a long and excellent heritage, you can buy any model without hesitation.

Edit:
Meant to say that there are only a few variants of watch movements around. most models only differ by the design of the watch face/dial/hands and the case and band/bracelet design. All movements in the "renowned" brands are foolproof if you don't abuse them and will last you several years.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
quick question: are all G-Shock watches battery operated? I wanted to get a knock around watch but I have a hard time justifying buying a watch if it uses a battery.

Chromax

quick question: are all G-Shock watches battery operated? I wanted to get a knock around watch but I have a hard time justifying buying a watch if it uses a battery.

There are many solar powered G-Shocks. I think a full charge can last at least half a year without seeing the sun again.

Zaptruder

Banned
I got my latest addition to the collection by courier today - a limited edition turquoise Casio G-Shock DW-6900SN-3JF. The colour is amazing.

(not my photo)

My collection now currently looks like this

That's a nice colour. Would be nice to wear if I could rock the skinny jeans hipster look.

gate777

Ok GAF. Here's the before and after pictures of my Father's 1978 Seiko 7009. The watchmaker replaced the bracelet and buffeted the crystal. Result: Looks like new!

He also hooked it up to a chronometer and it turns out it's off balance by about 30-40 seconds. No big deal though as it still works great.

Before:

After:

Enron

Banned
Ok GAF. Here's the before and after pictures of my Father's 1978 Seiko 7009. The watchmaker replaced the bracelet and buffeted the crystal. Result: Looks like new!

He also hooked it up to a chronometer and it turns out it's off balance by about 30-40 seconds. No big deal though as it still works great.

Before:

After:

I told ya man! It looks like new!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Thought the Nomos Orion, Stowa Antea, and Junghans Meister Handwinding are super nice... until i found out that they are only waterproof up to 3 ATM, that means i cant even take them into the shower. Major kick in the balls if you ask me.

gate777

I told ya man! It looks like new!

Yeah, thanks for that! I had no idea that the crystal could look like new just from buffing. It had so many scratches on it. I can't believe it's almost 35 years old.

My collection is now up to 5. Next purchase will be a nice watch box.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thought the Nomos Orion, Stowa Antea, and Junghans Meister Handwinding are super nice... until i found out that they are only waterproof up to 3 ATM, that means i cant even take them into the shower. Major kick in the balls if you ask me.
you shouldn't take a watch with a leather band to the shower first place.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Here's my watch. Family bought it for my 30th birthday recently.

IjxIWh.jpg

O9Ooch.jpg

GFWKSh.jpg

Simple, elegant and practical. Very happy with it.

7-600X4002.jpg

Greatest looking watch ever? I fucking think so.

Goddamnit, Droz. Whyyousoexpensive?!
Love it. Can you tell I have a thing for roman numerals on my watches?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Well yeah. Thing is that for that kind of money a certain amount of craftsmanship should be expected.

the most expensive watches in the world are only rated to 3ATM, water resistance has nothing to do with craftsmanship. Why would you wear a dress watch in the shower anyway? you can get 20ATM waterproof watches for under 100USD.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
GAF, I'm looking for a middle of the ground do-it-all watch: something sporty but still luxury enough to floss, with a face that really catches the eye but not overly crowded.

DFTCyl.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BS2NZ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm considering this one, I can get it for much cheaper than that browsing around, of course. My only hesitation is that the face does look a little "busy".. The biggest draw for me is the atomic time keeping, which, let's face it, is the purest reason I would be buying a timepiece to start with. What say you? Any other suggestions..?

Chromax

I posted my 2 new watch pickups already in the pickup thread but this is a more suitable thread to post them as well as my current collection.

I picked up a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Dual Time and the Maharishi G-Shock towards the end of July. Here's some unboxing photos!

DSC_1973.jpg

DSC_1988.jpg

DSC_1992.jpg

DSC_1995.jpg

and here's my current collection:

DSC_2017.jpg

From left to right:

Corum Admiral's Cup 44 Chronograph
Calibre de Cartier
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Dual Time
Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL Chrono Alfa Romeo
G-shock GA-110MH-7AJR

I think I'm missing a simple dress watch without a crowded face. Also want a solar powered G-Shock next.

pwack

I'm considering this one, I can get it for much cheaper than that browsing around, of course. My only hesitation is that the face does look a little "busy".. The biggest draw for me is the atomic time keeping, which, let's face it, is the purest reason I would be buying a timepiece to start with. What say you? Any other suggestions..?

I say reconsider the need for atomic. Any modern quartz watch from a reputable manufacturer is going to be reliable enough for practically anyone's needs.

As for that particular model, if you want a chronograph style watch, there are more functional versions out there that will measure beyond 60 mins. I personally hate 24 hour subdials on chronos, like what that watch has in the left side. If the main hand says 10pm, do you really need a second dial to tell you if it means 10am versus 10pm? Better to use that dial for timing.

If you want style, I would suggest looking at Tissot quartz chronogrpahs. Better looking in my opinion and cheaper. Readily available on amazon. Note that Tissot chronos generally have a 30 minute timing limit. You can also check out Seiko.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
the most expensive watches in the world are only rated to 3ATM, water resistance has nothing to do with craftsmanship. Why would you wear a dress watch in the shower anyway? you can get 20ATM waterproof watches for under 100USD.

I guess, being new to the watch-game, my understanding of craftsmanship differs from yours.
technically there is little to no reason why only diver watches can hit the shower and not these nice business watches (I'm not talking about diving, mind you).
To be honest i was quite shocked that these watches can't see water. Like you just said, if a 100USD watch can take it ...

A deep inner voice prevents me from buying a watch that's not water resistant, i can't explain it but it's true. This got me to really look at diver watches.
It's really strange how a watchtyp i always thought looked ugly became one of my favorite.

Anyway, since i have really thin wrists, a tight budget and don't really wan't an automatic (even though the technical marvel behind automatics is really appreciated by me, i just don't see how cheap automatics can keep time accurately), i got a Citizen Promaster BN0000-04H (quarz clock/steel unibody/solar powered).

The regular wristband is not only ugly, but uncomfortable as hell - so i replaced it with a natostrap.
I like the sporty, slightly vintage look.

I'm currently in the market for a $100 - $300 casual, yet classy, watch. The watch I have right now is this Movado, but I find it too formal to wear as an "everyday" watch. Recommendations would be great!

pwack

I'm currently in the market for a $100 - $300 casual, yet classy, watch. The watch I have right now is this Movado, but I find it too formal to wear as an "everyday" watch. Recommendations would be great!

The Seiko 5 line has a lot in the $50-200 range that looks classy, with reliable mechanical movements. You could also look at quartz Hamiltons or Tissots All three of those are plentiful on amazon.

Abother optipn for a good watch at a cheap price is Seagull. Chinese movements with a very good reputation for bang for yor buck. They have both US and EU websites, but also look at the eBay store ran by "trusthonestman.".

torontoml

K guys hopefully you guys can calm my fears. I bought a Tag Heuer Calibre 16 last Christmas, and wore it almost everyday until May. I was going to work in a location that I wouldn't want to wear an expensive watch so I left it home. I do not have a watch winder so it has been sitting idle for over 3 months now, will that have any effect on it?

I read today that I should have kept it wound up so that the lubrication inside wouldn't settle. So I'm really hoping that my watch is OK and will be buying a watch winder asap.

Any suggestions on a quality winder?

Thinking of switching up my watches and am looking at this from J. Crew:
timex-vintage-field-army-watch.jpg

But, due to the price, I'm wondering if you guys have any other suggestions for a watch similar to this style.

Thanks!

torontoml

Anyone?
K guys hopefully you guys can calm my fears. I bought a Tag Heuer Calibre 16 last Christmas, and wore it almost everyday until May. I was going to work in a location that I wouldn't want to wear an expensive watch so I left it home. I do not have a watch winder so it has been sitting idle for over 3 months now, will that have any effect on it?

I read today that I should have kept it wound up so that the lubrication inside wouldn't settle. So I'm really hoping that my watch is OK and will be buying a watch winder asap.

Any suggestions on a quality winder?

MYE

I'm thinking about buying a new watch. I'm willing to spend up to 250€ and I'm currently eyeing these:

opinions plz :p

I'm not very informed on this matter so suggestions are more than welcome

I'm 25 btw (if that helps)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm thinking about buying a new watch. I'm willing to spend up to 250€ and I'm currently eyeing these:

51aGwDPXVHL.jpg

opinions plz :p

I'm not very informed on this matter so suggestions are more than welcome

I'm 25 btw (if that helps)

I like the second Seiko on the right (above). Looks like it would dress both up and down really well, making it the most versatile.

Though I'd pick up the Armani if you spend most of your time snappily dressed or in long sleeved dress shirts as its the classier of the three.

Outside of that, can you offer more about how you will wear it and your usual style? Hard to recommend something without that.

torontoml

Was wondering if I could get advice on getting a watch winder. First is it a requirement? Right now I only have one automatic watch but will eventually have more, and sometimes I can go a few weeks to months without wearing it. Second, I could use some suggestions on where to get a good one.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I figure I'd put this here in the watch thread...

...anyways...

I was kinda geeked watching these 'Evolution of G-Shock' videos on YouTube:

Design
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NidwdLIoMk

Structure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ues7UPwqBNs

Performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRFk68N1QM

Function
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1JyOcv2EY

I thought each video looked pretty epic to me for some reason lol

Edit: given that next year is the G-Shock 30th anniversary Casio should re-release the watch that started it all, the OG DW5000...

Top Bottom