• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

CFMOORE!

480 bucks for a service???? Fuck!

haha. yeah. i was a bit surprised too. the woman did warn that it could get higher so to be prepared. who knows what 12 years of no service has done to it. I am hoping it stays at the $480 though.

Meanwhile, being without a watch for 10 weeks is going to suck. I already feel so naked without it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
haha. yeah. i was a bit surprised too. the woman did warn that it could get higher so to be prepared. who knows what 12 years of no service has done to it. I am hoping it stays at the $480 though.

Meanwhile, being without a watch for 10 weeks is going to suck. I already feel so naked without it.
buy another one for the duration ;)
regular service for a Rolex is 300EUR, btw.

CFMOORE!

buy another one for the duration ;)
regular service for a Rolex is 300EUR, btw.

I've been on the hunt for a Speedmaster like the one at the top of this page Or that watch I posted a few posts above. I know it doesn't compare to the Omega, but I like it. I was thinking of searching on ebay for the Speedmaster. Thoughts on going that route?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I've been on the hunt for a Speedmaster like the one at the top of this page Or that watch I posted a few posts above. I know it doesn't compare to the Omega, but I like it. I was thinking of searching on ebay for the Speedmaster. Thoughts on going that route?
LOTS of fake Speedmasters on the bay, avoid at all costs.

mintylurb

I have my eyes on this bm watch. Any other recommendation? My current budget is $3000.

UVQbQ.png

Mar

LOTS of fake Speedmasters on the bay, avoid at all costs.

This is certainly true, however there are reliable sellers there too. Look for feedback and specifically for people who have taken the watches after receiving them to get them verified.

I bought my McLaren Tag on eBay but ensured that there were previous buyers who had verified their watches, and that the seller would take it back if my watch was deemed a fake by the Tag service centre.

Never, ever buy from people who say they do not give refunds.

Also, on the subject. I'm a bit weirded out by the fact there are watches going for hundreds of thousands of dollars on eBay. Anyone with that kind of money would just go to a real jewelry store and wouldn't flinch at an extra 50 grand or more...

And on that subject. The second watch I bought I purchased from retail. Every store I went to knocked off around $1500 off the price as soon as I mentioned I was looking at it online. If you think you can't afford a nice watch brand new, you should probably think again and try a few retail stores.

I figured it could be risky for such high profile items. Hmm, if looking to find a legit one on the secondhand market, would you happen to be able to point me in a reliable direction?

Yeah like someone said, check the omega section of the watchuseek forums. There are a few well known and trusted used Japanese Speedmaster sellers on ebay.

Also make sure you're getting the speedmaster professional.

The automatic version is a bit smaller and less desirable. Also you may see other mechanical winding MK II, III, IV speedmaster models, some of which are still cool, but they are worth considerably less than the original professional model, so don't overpay if you do want one.

CFMOORE!

Yeah like someone said, check the omega section of the watchuseek forums. There are a few well known and trusted used Japanese Speedmaster sellers on ebay.

Also make sure you're getting the speedmaster professional.

The automatic version is a bit smaller and less desirable. Also you may see other mechanical winding MK II, III, IV speedmaster models, some of which are still cool, but they are worth considerably less than the original professional model, so don't overpay if you do want one.

so a self-winding in the speedmasters AREN'T desired?

CFMOORE!

Correct. The most desireable of the Speedmasters are the Speedmaster Professionals. They are hand-wind. The Pro is the famous "Moon Watch".

Gotcha. I was on the Omega website yesterday and like you said, I did notice the professionals all being hand wound. I've only ever owned my Seamaster which is selfwinding. Damn thing is still in for service and won't be back with me till the 3rd week of July. I need a watch on my wrist!!!

Correct. The most desireable of the Speedmasters are the Speedmaster Professionals. They are hand-wind. The Pro is the famous "Moon Watch".

Yeah I don't know if an automatic movement is reliable in space. But the 321 hand wind movement is what makes it special. Flight certified by NASA and all that. It was designed by Albert Piguet, of the famous Piguet watchmaking family, where the latter half of the Audemars Piguet brand comes from.

CFMOORE!

just taking a glancing look on Amazon at the prices, the Speedmaster Professional with the hand-winding is about $1600 less than the automatic. So it is cheaper AND more desireable? I won't lie, I like my automatic Seamaster, but it would be pretty cool to hand wind my watch. Hmm, it strikes me as odd that the automatic is so much more with regards to this particular watch.

Enron

Banned
just taking a glancing look on Amazon at the prices, the Speedmaster Professional with the hand-winding is about $1600 less than the automatic. So it is cheaper AND more desireable? I won't lie, I like my automatic Seamaster, but it would be pretty cool to hand wind my watch. Hmm, it strikes me as odd that the automatic is so much more with regards to this particular watch.

uh, what? 1600 LESS than the auto? I dont see how that can be unless the entries on amazon were mislabeled.

Edit: Waaaaaaait a second............Omega isn't making Speedy Pros with their new Co-Ax movement are they? If so, maybe that's why the difference.

Either way, I would get the manual wind.

I need some advice on watch straps.
I'm buying a unisex watch and it comes in two different types of straps. One is steel mesh and the other is black leather. Is either of these more masculine or feminine? Does it not matter? I know which one I like better, but I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Steel mesh

past-present-future-stainless-band.jpg

Black Leather
ppf-leather-high-res.jpg

Thank you
(and sorry if i corrupted the thread with this kind of watch, I'm into this kind of weird stuff.

Guevara

Damn what an amazing Diver. Too bad it's highly customized.

Custom Seiko Samurai "Black Tie"

Base: Seiko SDBA005 Titanium Samurai (JDM)
- 7S25 movement
- SNM009 dial and chapter ring
- SNM033 bezel insert
- Bead blasting by Motor City Watchworks
- Custom bezel lume pip
- Taikonaut "Tank" LE strap
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanelin/5346012800/

5346012800_3c4b8e86dd_z.jpg

TxdoHawk

Phosphor Mann Buzzin Appear - wanted to get something fun as a conversation starter when out on the town. A little more understated in person than it looks in the photo, but when people notice it they are intrigued. Girls love it.

Short review video which shows the face in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fx4KoGrcbE The watch in the video has a patent leather gloss finish, while mine has a matte black finish (the only thing that separates the guys versions from the girls version).

phosphor-swarovski-crystal-watch-1107-14-abenini@1.jpg

This is pretty great. That said, this is one of those moments where I wish companies didn't feel it was mandatory to have their logo visible on the front. Would be an even better effect if the entire face was just a wall of crystals.

Not the most practical, but damn good looking. The Ziiiro celeste in gunmetal grey.

Celeste_gunmetal_mono_front.png

The first day I wore it to work I thought I was late. Turns out I had put it on upside down.

This is awesome too, and arguably a lot more readable than most "gimmick" watches.

nOoblet16

Phosphor Appear is a great conversation starter, and its an absolute hit with the ladies. One of the best watches I've ever bought, and I love it more than my Rado, which was like more than 10 times costlier.

rado-sintra-ceramic-and-white-gold-mens-watch-r13335732.jpg

Pocks

I've never been much of a watch guy, but I'm in the market for one now. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should spend $100 or $500 for my first watch. It's between this Bulova and this Jazzmaster (incidentally, the same as a member above).

Obviously the Jazzmaster catches the eye more than the Bulova. However, I do like the seconds hand on the Bulova.. not to mention it's 5x less expensive.

So, do I save up for a couple months to get the Jazzmaster, or just go with the Bulova for my first watch?

Enron

Banned
I've never been much of a watch guy, but I'm in the market for one now. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should spend $100 or $500 for my first watch. It's between this Bulova and this Jazzmaster (incidentally, the same as a member above).

Obviously the Jazzmaster catches the eye more than the Bulova. However, I do like the seconds hand on the Bulova.. not to mention it's 5x less expensive.

So, do I save up for a couple months to get the Jazzmaster, or just go with the Bulova for my first watch?

Which do you want more? The Jazzmaster isn't prohibitively expensive. If that's the one you really want then save and get it. If you don't, you'll never be satisfied whenever you look down at the Bulova on your wrist.

I've been looking at watches on Ebay and I wanted to see if you guys think this is legit. The seller has a ton of feedback and offers refunds so I'm assuming he's not a scam artist but the price for the watch seems pretty low, although I have no idea how much such a watch actually goes for. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-Mens-Watch-Seamonster-Logo-Date-/140782705243?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20c74d9a5b

Same goes for this watch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-DeVille-Mens-Watch-14kgf-Seamonster-Logo-/140779133894?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20c7171bc6#ht_6205wt_1032

I've been looking at watches on Ebay and I wanted to see if you guys think this is legit. The seller has a ton of feedback and offers refunds so I'm assuming he's not a scam artist but the price for the watch seems pretty low, although I have no idea how much such a watch actually goes for. Let me know what you guys think.

Nice looking watches. They are "cheap" because they are vintage pieces and nowadays considered undersized for a man's wristwatch.

34 and 34.5 mm, that's smaller than many of today's women's models.

Starting about 15 years ago, watches started getting bigger. Some thought it was only a passing fad, but it seems like tastes have changed permanently, with even conservative companies like Rolex updating their models to reflect the modern trend, i.e. the new Datejust II is up to 41mm. 20 years ago, 41mm would have been considered big. Now it's average.

Basically, a 34-35mm man's watch is "out of style".

As cool as those Omegas are, I wouldn't buy one unless you have small wrists.

pwack

Ah thanks for pointing that out, I definitely do not have small wrists and they would probably look pretty stupid on me.

I was looking at similar vintage Omegas a while back. I ultimately ended up going with a Tissot Visodate; similar-ish style and similar heritage (Tissot used to be a sub-brand of Omega, now both are owned by Swatch). Other similar looking watches, at least to my eye, are the Hamilton Viewmatic or Seiko SARBs (Asian market higher-end seikos, available on ebay or at www.seiyajapan.com). These will all range from 38-41mm, if I recall, and be a little cheaper than the Omegas (~$500-600).

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
these Stowa watches seem to be exactly what I've been looking for: automatic (fucking batteries), elegant, clean, and within my price range. thank you!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got my first ever "nice" watch. I had dreamed of getting a Patek Philippe, but realized I would just live in terror of losing or breaking it. I also have real trouble wearing a watch, so my Tag Aquaracer has a brilliant feature for me - the automatic movement will run out of juice after about ten hours if you DON'T wear it, so it's like built-in coaching to remember to put it on.

I didn't like the metal band because I get hair caught in those and they are unforgiving of wrist-size fluctuation (and I think they look lame), so I had them put a black rubber strap on.

MorNH.jpg

Chromax

The G-Shock GA110MH-7 Maharishi Limited Edition is coming out this month. Anyone interested? I'm still trying to find the actual release date...

gshock-maharishi-00.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Just got my first ever "nice" watch. I had dreamed of getting a Patek Philippe, but realized I would just live in terror of losing or breaking it. I also have real trouble wearing a watch, so my Tag Aquaracer has a brilliant feature for me - the automatic movement will run out of juice after about ten hours if you DON'T wear it, so it's like built-in coaching to remember to put it on.

I didn't like the metal band because I get hair caught in those and they are unforgiving of wrist-size fluctuation (and I think they look lame), so I had them put a black rubber strap on.

MorNH.jpg

10 hours? Yeah that's crap mate. You'll want to get a winder for it so you don't drive yourself batty setting the damn thing every other time you put it on.

h3ro

The G-Shock GA110MH-7 Maharishi Limited Edition is coming out this month. Anyone interested? I'm still trying to find the actual release date...

gshock-maharishi-00.jpg

G-Shock love hi-five!

I'm looking at the new Earth series Mudman myself. The GA110 looks great, but the Maharishi version doesn't look too different from the stock white model.

Hackbert

that´s the one i am looking at to get for my birthday:
FS4711_main

this one i like also
JR1354_main

dont know, but i like the mix of digital /analog. but there are quite few with a nice look out there in my price range ^^(still student)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
that´s the one i am looking at to get for my birthday

I prefer the top one of those two. Looks classier and can dress both up and down better I would say. Though maybe switch in a soft black leather strap like the bottom one has?

Top Bottom