• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

My GW-M5600

1DS0o.jpg

I had the original one, very similar to the one in the photo. I wore it for many years, including after it getting smashed when I was working in a locked psychiatric hospital during a takedown of a violent patient. The plastic case came off, but underneath, the cast and machined aluminum body was fine and looked so bad-ass.

G-shock, the Terminator of watches.

Edit : not my photo but it looked just like this:

219p1n8.jpg

Hi, GAF!

I'm a dirty poor, so my ability to acquire a new watch is rather limited. However, since I'm about to start a Masters and have a $100 Stauer coupon I'm able to get a new watch in... 6 years. The last one I got was Stauer, too, and I'm rather happy with it.

Right now I'm contemplating this:
nYjWa.jpg

Anyone heard anything about this watch in particular?

Toppot

Watch-GAF I humbly ask for your help.

I'm looking for a binary watch. I want something like 01 The One's Zerone. I like the layout but I would prefer it to be cheaper, in black but most importantly I don't want the numbers on it.

I can find things like this, which is a good price and has the right layout, it just isn't black and still has the numbers. Even something like that but in black might be acceptable, I'd just hate to have to stick on something to cover up the numbers though.

Any help would be massively appreciated =]

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Watch-GAF I humbly ask for your help.

I'm looking for a binary watch. I want something like 01 The One's Zerone. I like the layout but I would prefer it to be cheaper, in black but most importantly I don't want the numbers on it.

I can find things like this, which is a good price and has the right layout, it just isn't black and still has the numbers. Even something like that but in black might be acceptable, I'd just hate to have to stick on something to cover up the numbers though.

Any help would be massively appreciated =]

Are you looking specifically for something in binary, or just abstracted and minimalist?

Can't speak to their build quality or comfort but have you checked out Tokyo Flash? While a lot of what they have is over the top and gaudy, they have some interesting abstracted designs including binary variants.

http://www.tokyoflash.com/

Toppot

Are you looking specifically for something in binary, or just abstracted and minimalist?

Can't speak to their build quality or comfort but have you checked out Tokyo Flash? While a lot of what they have is over the top and gaudy, they have some interesting abstracted designs including binary variants.

http://www.tokyoflash.com/

I'm open to all three. I want something minimalist, I want someone else looking at it to be confused as to what the time is (Hence my no numbers on my original binary specification), but not so complicated that it takes ages to explain and work out. I see binary as a good way of confusing someone while also being minimalist. But I am open to other abstract timekeeping designs/methods.

Thanks for the link =] I have checked them out, I think you hit the nail on the head with most being gaudy, though their RPM design does look very nice, just not digging the layout. If their are any other binary/abstract watch sites I'm all ears =]

I have a rubbish watch background, I've bought the same watch for the past 12 years everytime it breaks (on my third one atm), its a simple cheap reliable Casio W94H. I'm now looking to get something different to the normal digital/analogue.

Forsete

I've been using this for a while. Its a Quartz, all my others are automatics.

But I like it a lot. :p

My work-watch has taken a huge amount of abuse but its still ticking along. Lets see if I can take a pic of it. BRB.

3vZyj.jpg

It needs to be cleaned. Urk! :/
zp2hE.jpg

Here it was new! :>
4325365135_1e8aea617e_o.jpg
What is the service interval for these watches? This one I've used for almost 3 years now.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Does anyone know if Stührling is an ok company? I really love the look of their watches that they have a really bare look and just shows the internals with hands pretty much. Is there any other companies that do this? I don't really want to spend over $200 so I've been looking at this

vxAof.jpg

And amazon link:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GPOMU2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks!

It's called Skeleton watches, and a lot of companies do them. More in the higher end though, I haven't seen all that many in that low price class.

For example:

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Skeleton

2Gk5A.jpg

Trey

Is it some faux pas to wear your wrist watch on the right wrist? I've recently come across some who assert that wrist watches should be worn on the left wrist exclusively.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Does anyone know if Stührling is an ok company? I really love the look of their watches that they have a really bare look and just shows the internals with hands pretty much. Is there any other companies that do this? I don't really want to spend over $200 so I've been looking at this

vxAof.jpg

And amazon link:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GPOMU2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks!
stührling is a chinese brand that cashes in on its self-given German sounding name. internals are chinese copies of swiss movements. wouldn't buy one, personally.

cdyhybrid

I kinda want a nice watch because I think they look great as an accessory but my arms are really hairy so wearing them can be a bit of a pain at times :p

I could just wear one with a leather band or something but I don't like those as much =\

stührling is a chinese brand that cashes in on its self-given German sounding name. internals are chinese copies of swiss movements. wouldn't buy one, personally.

:( That's disappointing then. Are there any decent brands that make skeleton watches that aren't super expensive? Maybe I'll just get a normal Seiko I was looking at. :/

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is it some faux pas to wear your wrist watch on the right wrist?

I'd only do so if you are left handed otherwise you have both a higher chance of catching it on stuff and knocking it as you go about your day and a higher chance of having something in your hand (like a drink) when you want to check the time.

I've had the Tag I got as a wedding present for almost 3 years. The automatic function stopped working. Anyone ever had one break and had to get it fixed? Is it going to cost or would they cover it?

Dead Man

My work-watch has taken a huge amount of abuse but its still ticking along. Lets see if I can take a pic of it. BRB.

What is the service interval for these watches? This one I've used for almost 3 years now.
What model is that top watch? Looks nice.

Thanks. Seiko SNDA27P1 but with a proper NATO bracelet, the one which comes with the watch sucks. :/

What's the bottom one you use for work? I really like the colors of it.

Edit: And you can get the face glass replaced? I have two older citizen watches from my grandpa that I never work because the glass cracked on one and is scratched on the other but the metal is ok looking. Can you go to a normal jewelry store like kay or littman jewlers? Or do you need like an actual watch repair shop?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What's the bottom one you use for work? I really like the colors of it.

Edit: And you can get the face glass replaced? I have two older citizen watches from my grandpa that I never work because the glass cracked on one and is scratched on the other but the metal is ok looking. Can you go to a normal jewelry store like kay or littman jewlers? Or do you need like an actual watch repair shop?
I'd just go ahead and ask.

Dead Man

Thanks. Seiko SNDA27P1 but with a proper NATO bracelet, the one which comes with the watch sucks. :/

Nice. Yeah, love the nato bracelets, I have them on a couple watches. I'll have to see if I can track one of those down to have a proper look, I really like it.

Edit: Ahhahahah, I've looked at them before and was put off by the band! LOL.

Toppot

I managed to get the watch I was looking for! I found a site in the uk called led-watches. They had a black binary watch but it had numbers and Naruto branding on it. I emailed the company and for a small charge they were able to turn the face around, sand it and repray it black to get what I wanted.

It originally looked like this.

After the modifications it now looks like this

hjqLm.png

Is that the SNDA65 or SNDA57?

I'm considering getting the 65. However, I´m a bit apprehensive to get a nato strap with it. I always imagine that the double layer underneath pushes the watch up too much. The position of the clasp could also be a drawback for me. Can you tell me your experience with it?

Or I could just go for a maratac zulu strap. It's a bit thicker but it enable me to position the clasp at will. Choices choices.

I managed to get the watch I was looking for! I found a site in the uk called led-watches. They had a black binary watch but it had numbers and Naruto branding on it. I emailed the company and for a small charge they were able to turn the face around, sand it and repray it black to get what I wanted.

It originally looked like this.

After the modifications it now looks like this

hjqLm.png

Damn. That's service right there. Interesting conversation piece I'm sure.

Howdy fellas. Watch noob here wondering if someone can help me. I can see this is an Aviator watch but could someone tell me specifically what model it is?

isKQknkkeNo6w.jpg

I'm not a watch guy and don't wear one currently but I could possibly make an exception for that one.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Howdy fellas. Watch noob here wondering if someone can help me. I can see this is an Aviator watch but could someone tell me specifically what model it is?

isKQknkkeNo6w.jpg

I'm not a watch guy and don't wear one currently but I could possibly make an exception for that one.

Sorry, don't recognize it.

Finally got my new bracelet!! So happy to be able to wear a watch again!

DRYnkl.jpg

Danj

Still rocking my Casio CMD-40 that I posted in this thread like 3 years ago, but lately I've been thinking about getting something like one of these:

or another similar Android smart watch.

Has anyone tried one of these? What are they like in actual usage?

Top Bottom