• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
img078.jpg

think this'll be my next purchase.
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/detail.html?pid=SBGX091

I just order a Black Mako on Monday it should be at my doorstep tomorrow, I kinda feel I should have went with the Blue Mako as its more of eye candy compare to the black.

5479776947_d670b21f72_b.jpg

Picture not mines but same watch.

hitsugi

be very careful with the glass and bezel on that Orient.

I have a blue Mako, and while I love the watch, the glass somehow got a scratch on it and replacing the glass would cost almost as much as simply buying a new watch. The bezel also got a few nicks on it. Again, I like the watch, a lot.. but I wish they'd give it a sapphire; even the knock off crystals used in replica watches don't get scratched.

Enron

Banned
several years ago i was thinking about jumping on an Orient Mako, but i just couldnt get past that gimmicky push-button. Nice looking watch otherwise. Definitely chose right with the black - much classier than the Blue imo.

So I was never really a watch wearer but I figured it was time. After a lot of research I wanted to get a starter-level but high value automatic watch. Ended up going with the Seiko 5. In fact, this exact one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/desben/273490066/

But it doesn't come with that strap, which leads me to my next question. 1) where is the best place to get a band as close to that as possible at a decent price and 2) what do you guys think, steel or the leather? I know the general pros and cons but maybe someone like Onkel or anyone here would have more insight for that specific watch and just overall and whatever.

Thoughts, etc....go!

Enron

Banned
So I was never really a watch wearer but I figured it was time. After a lot of research I wanted to get a starter-level but high value automatic watch. Ended up going with the Seiko 5. In fact, this exact one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/desben/273490066/

But it doesn't come with that strap, which leads me to my next question. 1) where is the best place to get a band as close to that as possible at a decent price and 2) what do you guys think, steel or the leather? I know the general pros and cons but maybe someone like Onkel or anyone here would have more insight for that specific watch and just overall and whatever.

Thoughts, etc....go!

watchuseek forums. There's a whole subforum dedicated to straps. The answer lies within.

How does Tissot compare to seiko and citizen? I know seiko and citizen are about equal but I see Tissot mentioned a decent amount when I was messing around on watchuseek forums.

I got my Seiko 5 btw. It's fucking great. Amazing starter watch, great value. Just waiting on my leather strap to come in the mail now.

I'm actually really attracted to some of the Seiko 5 watches. I'm really considering just getting one of those in the meantime and saving up for a better watch.

I know they aren't considered "top end" but I have never went wrong with Citizen or Bulova watches.

Stylistic and never had any issue with them quality wise.

I currently have this one

bulova-automatic-self-winding-watch.jpg

Guevara

I got my Seiko 5 btw. It's fucking great. Amazing starter watch, great value. Just waiting on my leather strap to come in the mail now.

Which band did you get? I have a Seiko 5 in navy and I was thinking about replacing the band but it's such a weird size. Post pics if you can when you put it together.

pwack

How does Tissot compare to seiko and citizen? I know seiko and citizen are about equal but I see Tissot mentioned a decent amount when I was messing around on watchuseek forums.

Seiko and Citizen have huge ranges, and run from $50 entry pieces to $8000 heirloom quality Grand Seikos.

Tissot is a good entry level Swiss watch. It is owned by Swatch, like a whole lot of other brands (Omega, Longines, Hamilton, tons more). My understanding is that it is very good for a entry level automatic ($400-$1000).

I have a Tissot Visodate and two seikos -- a "Stargate" diver and a SARB033, which is a mid-range model sold in Japan and importable to the US via Seiya. The SARB and the Visodate are comparable price and both decent quality. The SARB keeps better time (+/- 2 seconds a day, versus +/- 15 for the visodate).

Seiko and Citizen have huge ranges, and run from $50 entry pieces to $8000 heirloom quality Grand Seikos.

Tissot is a good entry level Swiss watch. It is owned by Swatch, like a whole lot of other brands (Omega, Longines, Hamilton, tons more). My understanding is that it is very good for a entry level automatic ($400-$1000).

I have a Tissot Visodate and two seikos -- a "Stargate" diver and a SARB033, which is a mid-range model sold in Japan and importable to the US via Seiya. The SARB and the Visodate are comparable price and both decent quality. The SARB keeps better time (+/- 2 seconds a day, versus +/- 15 for the visodate).

Ya, I was looking at the range of $400-$500 for watches and there was one or two Tissot that I liked when looking around and I was curious how they are. I'm still considering holding off on that and waiting until I can spend closer to $1000 for a nicer watch I'll want to keep but not sure.

nib95

Banned
I've always been a huge fan of Seiko. Used to have several when I was younger, and every one of them still work well today, even if they are battered and bruised. They were mid level watches. A couple of vendors on eBay used to sell them with huge discounts. I'd advise trying to get one with sapphire crystal (so the glass is much harder to scratch) and one of their automatic (instead of quartz) movements.

Whilst I've never bought or worn a Hamilton watch, they're a new brand I think do some really nice looking designs.

nib95

Banned
Why would you advise going automatic instead of quartz? Going automatic seems to be a more subjective than objective choice to me.

The actual movements inside from what I have been told are of much higher quality in their automatic range. The quartz range encompass their more affordable range, and the quality of movement workmanship and reliability isn't quite up to par. Though I suppose it's all relative to the cost.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Why would you advise going automatic instead of quartz? Going automatic seems to be a more subjective than objective choice to me.
it's about knowing that the (automatic) timepiece on your wrist is an elaborate work of mechanics that keeps running powered only by the movement of your wrist. Quartz is a battery-powered piece of electronics.
everytime i take a look at an automatic watch, i know that this is going on in that tiny case right now:
http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

Is reliability even an issue with quartz movements? I always learned that quartz watches excel in reliability and accuracy.

it's about knowing that the (automatic) timepiece on your wrist is an elaborate work of mechanics that keeps running powered only by the movement of your wrist. Quartz is a battery-powered piece of electronics.
everytime i take a look at an automatic watch, i know that this is going on in that tiny case right now:
http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

This I certainly understand. I would certainly not advise against it coming from that viewpoint.

nib95

Banned
Hamilton? New?

Only started seeing them in UK stores (popularly) the last 5-10 years or so. Seiko and Tissot being sold in most major high street stores (HSamuel, Argos, Goldsmiths etc). I'm assuming by your post they've been around a long while?

EDIT: Lol according to Wiki, they're pretty ancient.

nib95

Banned
Anyone ever bought any additional straps or bracelets for their watches? Got this Ted Su Diver strap a while back for my U-Boat. Bit bulky but I thought it looked cool. Solidly built.

dive01.jpg

pwack

so I saw this beauty today at the mall. I love the look and style. Can someone recommend me something that looks similar and or used watch stores so I can look for it, I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 6k on a watch.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/deville/hour-vision/43130412101001
aa26ed5dcdfd6085b81996a58d7fb93f.jpg

What sort of price range are you looking for?

1. You should never pay MSRP on a fancy watch. These things are designed to be negotiated. It won't happen at an Omega boutique, but if you go to an authorized dealer, they will work with you on price. I would guess about 20% off.

2. If that is not low enough, for used watches, check out watchrecon.com, a used watch search engine. However, there are no Deville Coaxials on there right now.

nitewulf

Wedding gift from my wife/in-laws (a watch as the gift to the guy is pretty customary in Bengali tradition these days, as is gold for the women)! They gave me a budget so I did the best I could within that budget, which in this case was nearly 70% off retail.

It's second hand but mint condition and with only 2 months off the manufacturers warranty (even called up to double check the serial, service record and purchase details), I'm not complaining. Guy I bought it off had a huge arsenal of prestigious wrist watches and didn't seem too fussed when I made the (ballsy) offer. If it wasn't a gift I would have sold it off for a profit lol. Seen it sell on forums and eBay for much more.

Squelette.jpg

Squelette2.jpg

EDIT: Uploaded better pics!

good looking watch. never realized you were bengali, i got a watch too from my in-laws.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What sort of price range are you looking for?

1. You should never pay MSRP on a fancy watch. These things are designed to be negotiated. It won't happen at an Omega boutique, but if you go to an authorized dealer, they will work with you on price. I would guess about 20% off.

2. If that is not low enough, for used watches, check out watchrecon.com, a used watch search engine. However, there are no Deville Coaxials on there right now.
6k was online, in the store it was 11k

My range is kind of broad, 200 to 1500. I like nice looking watches that aren't going to fall apart after a year, but I'm not too concerned with brand as long as it has a good warranty. I've been looking since I saw that watch and I have liked watches from citizen Eco, seiko, Hamilton, revue thommen, tissot etc.

But really what I like about that omega, is the black dial accented by the silver and black and red with its overall simplistic style.

Thanks for the used site, I'll check that out.

nitewulf

What did you get? And yea, watches as gifts from in laws to the groom seems to be common practise in Bengali culture lol.

i know, im from bangladesh...my in-laws aren't wealthy, so i didnt actually request anything, because the wedding itself was such an expense. they bought me a nice seiko.

Enron

Banned
so I saw this beauty today at the mall. I love the look and style. Can someone recommend me something that looks similar and or used watch stores so I can look for it, I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 6k on a watch.

There are also a number of reputable Omega sellers on ebay - the Omega board on watchuseek has a thread with a list of them, I believe.

nib95

Banned
i know, im from bangladesh...my in-laws aren't wealthy, so i didnt actually request anything, because the wedding itself was such an expense. they bought me a nice seiko.

That sounds fair enough. Seiko's a great brand. To be fair, I think my in-laws splashed out because we splashed out on their daughter lol. Luckily we were able to stay way under budget with the wedding, despite having so many guests.

Guevara

I'm thinking of putting my Seiko 5 (in navy) on a brown leather Nato band. Anyone do this before? Will it be too bulky for the small face?

51AqF63QlvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+

lnato-coffee-18-01.jpg

Top Bottom