• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
That's a nice watch. Pulled out my wallet and was about to enter my credit card details when I saw the Wired review...

But hesitated because of the blinking red light. I think that'd drive me crazy...

That's fair enough. I cant imagine I'm going to notice it unless I'm looking at the face. I was also looking at a Hamilton Khaki Auto but overall I prefer the look of the Victorinox.

Which thread is this? I'm interested in reading it.

BTW if your budget is ~$100, I feel like SEIKO is the way to go. I was unsure about them at first, but after getting a 5-series from them for the low low price of $65, I like it. Keeps great time and the price is insane for a decent automatic.

Although $150-$175, I would also recommend Mondaine for that chic minimalist look. The advantage with these watches are that you tend not to see them out and about.

mondaine-watch.jpg

official_swiss_railways.jpg

massoluk

Banned
Anyone have suggestions for a better suggestion for a watch similar to this?

ME3022_main

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/ansel_stainless_steel_watch_black-me3022p.html

Looking for a skeleton watch that doesn't have to be completely revealed on the dial and prefer steel straps over leather. Max price I'd pay is around $500. Thanks!

I could have sworn I saw a bunch of skeleton watch before at this site (I always check it once a day for deal)
http://www.sharkstores.com/Watches

Aw cute Timex. I like it because it reminds me of a classroom clock. Except it actually moves at a fast pace, unlike the last 5 minutes before the end of class.

zchen

received these two over the weekend. Everything I read about the bracelet and strap that come with these being junk is true, so on went some nato straps; otherwise they are great and I'm already thinking about another amphibia.

0gK4f.jpg

Cousteau

Those Skagen are actually really, really nice...

What do you say GAF, titanium or steel?

Steel should be less scratch-prone, right?

Skagen watches seem to have a problem with cracking crystal.Perhaps due to the sleek design.
This is of course not covered under warranty.

received these two over the weekend. Everything I read about the bracelet and strap that come with these being junk is true, so on went some nato straps; otherwise they are great and I'm already thinking about another amphibia.

0gK4f.jpg

Love the look of those Vostok watches. The Russian versions.

CrankyJay

Banned
Any recommendations for a ladies watch around $200-250? My wife wants a watch from Coach but I told her she'd probably be better off getting a watch for the same price from a company that specializes in watches.

new to this thread and I love the seiko coutura snac75 the black and gold one. apparently its not in season anymore.any leads where I can pick up one similar?

pwack

Any recommendations for a ladies watch around $200-250? My wife wants a watch from Coach but I told her she'd probably be better off getting a watch for the same price from a company that specializes in watches.

Not knowing anything about style, but only your price point, I would recommend either Seiko (which has a metric crapload of styles to choose from, often available on Amazon) or maybe Christoper Ward (a British-based watch company; if you are in the US, check out http://www.christopherward-usa.com).

Edit -- I was gonna edit to say "But if she wants a Coach watch, maybe you should just get her that." Then I looked at their website and said, Damn, those are overpriced for quartz watches, at least at MSRP.

Oppo

I picked up this guy a few weeks back... definitely a "fashion watch", but I really liked the design. I like most of the Vestal stuff actually.

d772q.jpg

Vestal Observer

D6AMIA6N

Hey Onk, and watch GAF! I am hoping to take delivery of my new Stowa Seatime ProDiver within the next few weeks. I ordered on September 5, paid on November 28, and am now waiting for the watch to be shipped from Germany. Stay tuned....

Cruceh

Banned
Anyone ever buy something from the watchuseek forum? I don't trust wire transfers and would rather do paypal. Are there any protections on paypal in case of scams or is it just a roll of a dice?

Also, I think I need a sapphire crystal for my next watch. No idea what happened, but my current watch has a giant gash on the glass as well as multiple small scratches. Last time I checked, it was fine. Maybe it was from skiing last weekend. :lol

D6AMIA6N

Anyone ever buy something from the watchuseek forum? I don't trust wire transfers and would rather do paypal. Are there any protections on paypal in case of scams or is it just a roll of a dice?

Also, I think I need a sapphire crystal for my next watch. No idea what happened, but my current watch has a giant gash on the glass as well as multiple small scratches. Last time I checked, it was fine. Maybe it was from skiing last weekend. :lol

I've bought and sold on there a bunch. There is no protection, you pretty much have to "buy" the seller or buyer. Do your homework on the seller and you'll be fine. Also, PayPal is generally accepted or negotiable.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

the watchuseek store itself is a trusted store,,no problems there. as for forum members buy/sell sections, I sold several watches there without problems. I'd always check the post history of the buyer/seller before transaction and only do trades there via PayPal.

pwack

Acrylic crystal? Buff that sucker out with Polywatch (about $5 on Amazon) or toothpaste.

Enron

Banned

Ive never bought a watch from the forums, but I have bought bracelets/straps/tools from there before. Never had an issue. Like Onkel said, do you homework on the poster.

So my new Orient watch has a problem. Once or twice a day the second hand gets stuck at the 49 second marker and the watch just locks up. The only way to get it going again is to basically start swinging the minute hand back and forth. How major of an issue is this? I was thinking if it's a minor defect I could take it to a repair shop rather than RMA.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finally picked my watch up from service, 650€ later :/ but happy to be wearing it again.

pwack

I'm thinking about picking up this watch for myself:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UV50HW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It would be my first nice watch.

Nice watch.

One thing: check out what sort of warranty you get. Since you aren't buying from an authorized dealer, Hamilton/Swatch group won't warranty the watch. Amazon gives a 2-year warranty on everything they sell that isn't covered by a manufacture warranty, but that particular watch is being sold by some third-party grey market dealer I've never heard of, not Amazon itself.

Nice watch.

One thing: check out what sort of warranty you get. Since you aren't buying from an authorized dealer, Hamilton/Swatch group won't warranty the watch. Amazon gives a 2-year warranty on everything they sell that isn't covered by a manufacture warranty, but that particular watch is being sold by some third-party grey market dealer I've never heard of, not Amazon itself.

I ended up going with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GXPMP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The band and face are a little simpler, and it's sold directly by Amazon.

Ecto311

Looking for some advice. Figured this would be the best place to ask.

I am looking at a few different g-shock models.

The 5600 solar/atomic
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00134JNJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Riseman
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A62M04/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Mudman
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UV0MJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and Even the 5600 green black display solar no atomic
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00791YWXE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My problem is they all have something the others do not. Just looking for opinions on them all if anyone here has them or used any of them. I have heard good and bad about all the models too. Some solar don't work after so long, some atomic's don't sync and the riseman alt is not reliable. I don't need the extended features of the riseman/mudman but I do like the look of them. Just looking for the best long term watch with the best value out of these here.

Thanks for any advice.

Also I'm in Colorado and there is an atomic station in ft. collins so that should work well as far as I know. Just not sure if the atomic feature is needed or just nice to have.

Ok, so after about a couple of weeks with my Seiko SNA545, the spring pin the the adjustable holes broke in half. I bought the watch from a website called Broadway Watches. I'm hoping they will give me a refund, because this gives me another excuse to get an Orient Mako watch, and I would definately swap the metal band for a leather strap. I think metal bands look awful on my tiny wrists. I have really skinny, bony wrists, so I'm just afraid if I remove anymore links, the same problem will happen again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sent my tag aquaracer in for service after it locked up. Tag replaced the bezel and glass because they noticed scuffs. Now that's service!

Just got my first automatic today. Seiko 5 SNK809

IMG_20121212_171219.jpg

Nice! I have the khaki/tan colored one. I switched out the band that comes with it to a leather band and it looks great. Keeps good time too.

I've been wearing this one lately since it's less bulky under thin sweaters.

It's tiny compared to my more modern watches.

equap

Banned
god damn! this watch is finally on sale but it's so expensive...well I think it's expensive only because I can't afford it right now.

qlocktwo_W_EN_brushed_300.jpg

$770
qlocktwo_W_EN_black_300.jpg

$880

Nice! I have the khaki/tan colored one. I switched out the band that comes with it to a leather band and it looks great. Keeps good time too.

Is the band fairly easy to change? I've been looking to buy the same Seiko and change the band to a leather one like you have but fear that I will mess it up.

Yeah, I plan to pick up a brown leather strap for it soon. It'll flow nicely with what I usually wear to work. Khakis/Polo. Although for the price these go for the khaki/tan one wouldn't be a bad pick-up. :)

Is the band fairly easy to change? I've been looking to buy the same Seiko and change the band to a leather one like you have but fear that I will mess it up.

Yep, pretty easy. You can always take it to a watch repair shop and have them do it for you for < $10. I did mine myself with just a small flat-headed screwdriver. They have a special tool for it, but I found the small screwdriver worked fine. I have small hands though, so maybe if you have large hands, it'd be awkward.

Top Bottom