• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

My lady got me this Nixon for my birthday yesterday.

T36AO.jpeg

I love it.

Ah I had no idea gaf had a Watch thread.

My dad is thinking of passing on his Calatrava to me. I love looking at watches, but I've never really had a nice one myself. I obviously won't be wearing the Calatrava on a daily basis. Is there anything I should know about the maintenance and wearing of such a watch that isn't normally passed on? Thanks!

Desavona

Yeah..lady's sizes nowadays are leaning towards midsize for standard. Even 31mm looks small but go back 20 years and a standard lady's size was 26. I went with the 26 as well and it paid off. Most important thing is she likes it. And I hope that resizing was free. =P

Yeah it was free :) even though I didn't even purchase it from them. Fantastic customer service really.

Yeah..lady's sizes nowadays are leaning towards midsize for standard. Even 31mm looks small but go back 20 years and a standard lady's size was 26. I went with the 26 as well and it paid off. Most important thing is she likes it. And I hope that resizing was free. =P

Really? Now it seems like lady's watches are HUGE, as in 38mm and bigger. I've seen women with gigantic even for men watches on. The largest size I wear is 34mm and even then, it feels kinda clunky under my sleeve. If that's the look I'm going for, it's fine, but there's something nice about an understated, smaller watch.

I have a lady's watch from the 60s and it looks so tiny compared to my "normal" sized 34mm watches.

The thing I don't understand about large watches is that isn't it uncomfortable? With my larger watches, the lug ends up hitting the back of my hand, where it meets my wrist, whenever I bend my hand back and it's pretty annoying. Doesn't that hurt you guys?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Really? Now it seems like lady's watches are HUGE, as in 38mm and bigger. I've seen women with gigantic even for men watches on. The largest size I wear is 34mm and even then, it feels kinda clunky under my sleeve. If that's the look I'm going for, it's fine, but there's something nice about an understated, smaller watch.

I have a lady's watch from the 60s and it looks so tiny compared to my "normal" sized 34mm watches.

The thing I don't understand about large watches is that isn't it uncomfortable? With my larger watches, the lug ends up hitting the back of my hand, where it meets my wrist, whenever I bend my hand back and it's pretty annoying. Doesn't that hurt you guys?

Er.. I think you're agreeing with me, right? That today's lady's watches are leaning towards bigger and that we prefer the smaller style. Hence why I got my wife a 26mm when most of Rolex's mainline Datejusts start at 31mm. Men's standard dial sizes have gotten bigger too. Not just talkin bout Panerai heh.

Okay, so I recently ordered a Russian Vostok watch. This has had an unfortunate side effect.

Now I'm being sucked in the world of Russian/Sovjet watches. There's one type that I've been obsessing about in the last few days. The Raketa 24h watch. On quick look on ebay and there seems to be enough on offer. Yet after consulting WUS it seems that most of them are fakes/frankenwatches. Most of them have wrong movements (12h converted to 24h), wrong dials (German WWII themed, lol) or wrong hands.

To be fair, most of the fakes seem to be made out of original parts and run just as well as the originals but now that I slowly becoming an self proclaimed expert on 24h Raketas, it has become a challenge to get that reasonably priced but original watch.

Damn.:p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Santa brought me this beauty.

8307754256_716b77dd00_b.jpg

Edit: Whoops, it wasn't on here for a while. Fixed now.

Beautiful watch. I've always liked Breitling, and have come close to buying one a couple of times.

However, something always feels "off" to me about the materials they use or the build quality. I can't quite put my finger on it and point to a specific issue, but I always chicken out on a purchase because of that nagging irrational doubt.

Might just be the highly polished look that I am not really used to. Does anyone know if they do anything else different than other luxury manufacturers to help me pin down my issue?

Donos

I love digital watches and currently have a Casio G-Shock Earl of Dawn (GW-810BXD-1ER). Need a new one and eyeing the Casio Pro-Trek PRW-1300T-7VER (below).
Seems to me that Casio is one of the few who makes high quality sporty/elegand digital watches with nice features (e.g. solar, radio controlled).

What are other Watchmakers with similar watches? Suunto has some nice ones but most of them seem to be Sportwatches with features for cardiotraining. Don't really need that.

They have to be at least radio controlled and a metall wristband would be nice. Price range 100 - 300€

I know this is more a place for analogue watches but maybe someone has other suggestions.

kaskade

Was browsing through some of my picasa pics and found some shots I made of my watch this summer.

2012-10-06%252014.09.36.jpg

2012-10-06%252014.10.00.jpg

2012-10-06%252014.15.41.jpg

2012-10-06%252014.14.15.jpg

Nice pics. My dad has this one in stock and it's been here for like two years and no one bought it yet. I'm tempted just to take it for myself. Looks really nice at night with the luminous hands.

Hackbert

broken imagelinks and/or access denied if showing in new tab... just fyi. still wanting that Seiko Snda 65.. Should have bought it off amazon for 160 euros.. now it is out of stock for maybe ever

Got my Russian beauty! Vostok Amphibia (scubadude) automatic.
It's a bit on the small size but I'm not that much a big-watches type. This one comes with a rubber strap. Compared to the stories about how bad the leather and links straps are, I can find no fault with this one. Despite that, I'll probably buy a bund strap for this one.

broken imagelinks and/or access denied if showing in new tab... just fyi. still wanting that Seiko Snda 65.. Should have bought it off amazon for 160 euros.. now it is out of stock for maybe ever

Before I bought it, I always browsed co.uk and the damn price wouldn't go down. Then I thought of looking at .fr .es and .de. And what do you know. After a few days the camelizer send me a message with 'your watch is now 130 euros.' BOUGHT!

The thing is, amazon.co.uk still has it in stock for £139.00.

AND

amazon.es has it for 158 euros! Both are of the same stock from etaileruk.

Hackbert

Before I bought it, I always browsed co.uk and the damn price wouldn't go down. Then I thought of looking at .fr .es and .de. And what do you know. After a few days the camelizer send me a message with 'your watch is now 130 euros.' BOUGHT!

The thing is, amazon.co.uk still has it in stock for £139.00.

AND

amazon.es has it for 158 euros! Both are of the same stock from etaileruk.

nice watch. not my style. and wow thanks. i feel ashamed to forget about uk. i found the seiko on .com without mailing opportunity to europe. Thank you again.

So as a Birthday/Christmas present from my friend in Europe, she decided to send me a watch, which I wasn't expecting at all.

She basically got me a Swatch Blue Rebel (obviously not my pic):

SWATCH-SUON700-Blue-Rebel.jpg

I like it a lot really.

Does anybody have any recommendations on where the best places to sell can be found? I have a Stwa Marine Automatic which I just don't seem to use anymore and while it's a very beautiful watch I feel like selling it would be more useful.

Does anybody have any recommendations on where the best places to sell can be found? I have a Stwa Marine Automatic which I just don't seem to use anymore and while it's a very beautiful watch I feel like selling it would be more useful.

I'd suggest trying watchuseek, they have a specific sales forum with crazy activity and a lot of Stowa lovers, or simply ebay. Either way you are unlikely to get a good price if you have no account and no history... And PM me the price and pics if you are okay to ship to Canada :)

Pocks

You could try right here in this thread.. :)

I have the metal strap version of this one:

CMD-40-1ZTER.jpg

I use the calculator and IR functions regularly, so I couldn't really switch to another type of watch at this point.

I remember as a kid having this watch and trolling department stores by turning off all their T.Vs

didn't know they still existed.

I'd suggest trying watchuseek, they have a specific sales forum with crazy activity and a lot of Stowa lovers, or simply ebay. Either way you are unlikely to get a good price if you have no account and no history... And PM me the price and pics if you are okay to ship to Canada :)

You could try right here in this thread.. :)

Really? I thought it might be against the rules to outright start selling things here. Okay, if anyone is interested then here are some photos. For anyone who isn't then I hope you enjoy some photos of a beautiful watch instead. :)

1.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Anyone who is interested, feel free to PM me. I'm based in the UK but I guess I would be willing to ship it internationally if shipping isn't crazy.

I bought it for about £460 so I guess £350 would be a fair price, plus whatever shipping is.

Edit: The watch has now been purchased.

Maybe this is my strange sense of humor, or my natural indulgence for crazy elitists, but I've been enjoying a lot the 'watch snob' column on the (usually very boring) askmen portal.
He's genuine mean attitude makes him fun to read, and he always has a very traditional/historic point of view which makes me questions stuff in general around the subject.

...And his usual rant against Panerai is just sooo much fun :)

Have a read when you have some times and tell me what you think watch gaf.

Loomba

Really? I thought it might be against the rules to outright start selling things here. Okay, if anyone is interested then here are some photos. For anyone who isn't then I hope you enjoy some photos of a beautiful watch instead. :)

I bought it for about £460 so I guess £350 would be a fair price, plus whatever shipping is.

Gorgeous watch... I was just about buy a 390 from Stowa and wait until June! much rather get off a fellow gaffer! pm'ed

Brera

Banned
My Seamaster Chrono is currently in for a full service and repair to the crown and stem after they fell out and got lost :-[

Currently sporting my Suunto Yachtmaster. Have had it years but only recently started wearing it!

67EE52B8-65CF-4545-B718-C40792D6C9BD-4311-0000022FAD91A993.jpg

Can't wait till I get my Chrono back. Daily watch for 4 years and feel bare without it :-(

I'm thinking about buying a used Tag Aqauracer. It would be my final watch. I want to try Ebay, but i'm not familiar with how Ebay works. I'm guessing this is the starting bid at $100? Seems awfuly low for a $1500 watch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-TAG-HE...843484935?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item460bab4707

Does that look legit?

It can definitely be legit as it is just the starting bid. Ebay has different kinds of auction:'buy it now' where the price you see is the one you pay, or timed auction where the price will increase with each bid, which usually happens at the very end.

That said, are you absolutely sure about that Aquaracer or do I have a chance of convincing you there are cooler options for the price?

:p

What are cooler options? I like that ocean blue color. I was also thinking about the Glycine combat sub:

gcs001.jpg

Is that a better buy? It's cheaper, too.

I was honestly thinking about a Omega Seamaster PO quartz, used, lol.

EDIT-Also, if I wanted to cancel on the bid even if I win, can I?

What are cooler options? I like that ocean blue color. I was also thinking about the Glycine combat sub:

gcs001.jpg

EDIT-Also, if I wanted to cancel on the bid even if I win, can I?

Honestly, for a thousand, I really think the Tag is just not good value for money - this is me making the most of my second hand knowledge, I have not owned one. I would save up a bit more than a thousand and try to get my hand on a used Sinn Chronograph or an vintage Omega Seamaster Automatic.

If you prefer to save a bit, the Glycine is a good choice, I would also recommend Orient.

Ebay> if you win you will have to see this with the seller, but as he will owe ebay a % of the sale, you will surely have to pay something.

Eh, no way I'm ever paying $3500 for an Omega Seamaster. Not even $2,000. I'm going to spend under a grand for my final watch, and I want it to be great. No bigger than 42mmx12mm. Preferably want a 40mm auto.

Iph

Banned
Are there any reasonably priced, analog, moon-phase watches out there for ladies?

I've been shopping around for a 'forever' watch recently. I accidentally wore a cheap timex watch diving (forgot it was on once, ruined it) and haven't owned another since. It's been over ten years since I bought a watch and I find most women's watches to be girly fashion watches, the dials are too big, or the bands are too big for my wrist. I know this is customizable, but I have really small wrists and would like to buy something that I can get to fit right out of the box.

I know I'm probably asking a lot. I've liked the look of Seiko's, and a few other brands mentioned in this thread but I've overwhelmed by the selection and am looking for some advice. :3

Oppo

My Seamaster Chrono is currently in for a full service and repair to the crown and stem after they fell out and got lost :-[

Currently sporting my Suunto Yachtmaster. Have had it years but only recently started wearing it!

67EE52B8-65CF-4545-B718-C40792D6C9BD-4311-0000022FAD91A993.jpg

Can't wait till I get my Chrono back. Daily watch for 4 years and feel bare without it :-(

Suunto watches are so badass. I have an Observer.

What does everyone think of Diesel watches? I'm kind for torn between liking some of their designs and also thinking that they're kind of ugly. But I really like the giant watch faces.

I think the Glycine Combat Sub is a cool watch. It uses a basic ETA movement, but it looks good and should be rugged and reliable.

The Aquaracer has a known problem, the threads on the crown have a tendency to strip.

Top Bottom