• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Alright, thanks but the Stowa seatime is actually just a bit over 13mm, which isn't that bad. Plus it's under $,1000. Great movement I suppose. I may think about that one.

The sea time stowa? Cool looking watch, but the thickness ins over 15mm. That's big for my skinny ass bony 6 inch wrists.

You are right on the gycine then I guess, or save a lot and just buy an Orient Mako with Orange Bezel

IMG_0151-1.jpg

Here's a video of the Glycine combat sub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HZgFaJxRWQ

So it has a basic movement? That's not pleasant to hear.

This is also another watch I was thinking about, too:

sarb0315001a.jpg

God, it's so hard to choose.

The 'basic ETA' movement is also used in the Tag Heuer you were eyeing at the beggining, and other watches which are much more expensive, it's a basic, yet very reliable movement don't worry.

If you are also into dress watch, then that makes the array of possibility much bigger. And the Seiko above is much preferable choice (with the Glycine) than the Tag in my opinion.

I just found this article from my beloved watch snob where he is asked about the aquaracer, and while he sounds like a jerk I understand why he is strongly against it...

What does everyone think of Diesel watches? I'm kind for torn between liking some of their designs and also thinking that they're kind of ugly. But I really like the giant watch faces.

I don't want to sound old, but I really hate those. Far too big, overpriced, not particularly readable... If you like super big watches at least I would recommend TW Steel which are in the same $250-$400 price range, sometime you could even fetch a U-Boat on sale for around $400 if you are lucky.

East Lake

Are there any reasonably priced, analog, moon-phase watches out there for ladies?

I've been shopping around for a 'forever' watch recently. I accidentally wore a cheap timex watch diving (forgot it was on once, ruined it) and haven't owned another since. It's been over ten years since I bought a watch and I find most women's watches to be girly fashion watches, the dials are too big, or the bands are too big for my wrist. I know this is customizable, but I have really small wrists and would like to buy something that I can get to fit right out of the box.

I know I'm probably asking a lot. I've liked the look of Seiko's, and a few other brands mentioned in this thread but I've overwhelmed by the selection and am looking for some advice. :3
Surfing ebay might be an option. Search moonphase and sort them by lowest price. You could definitely find a seiko/citizen/timex vintage moonphase for a fairly low price and usually even the men's watches of this type are small enough diameter to look fine for a woman.

Eh, you know, maybe I'll go with the Stowa Antea:

lv31ffmz6b8vj58ezr-img_2854.jpg

Looks classic, plus I want something other than a SS bracelet. I don't think I'm going to be in a situation where I'm swimming with a watch or stuff like that, so a leather band is fine. I think the more formal looking stowas are the best bang for the buck.

Yeah, I've read on Watchuseek that Tags are overpriced.

What about Boschett? They seem to be alright:

rrblue3.JPG

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/boschett-reef-ranger-photo-review-168951.html

That's a nice review there. He adds that the Reef Ranger is at the top of his watches next to Omega, Breitling, and Fortis.

I'm actually leaning towards it as of now.

Basically you have tons of choices for watches equiped with an ETA 2824-2 like in the Tag, in the Boschett, and in the Glycine.

For a dress watch I would recommend Botta, Xetum or Stowa (especially the Antea as you posted above), owing to your tastes, for a sporty one, Glycine and Stowa.

I think I'm gonna go for the Stowa. I think you can pull it off wearing just about anything besides a really sporty/rugged look. The current cheap Seiko chrono watch I have I can wear sometimes as a daily beater.

I think I'm gonna go for the Stowa. I think you can pull it off wearing just about anything besides a really sporty/rugged look. The current cheap Seiko chrono watch I have I can wear sometimes as a daily beater.

Great choice, go for it!
If Watch Gaf can get someone to go from a Tag Heuer Aquaracer to a Stowa Antea, I beleive we are doing our job right!

Enjoy :)

Eh, I was also thinking about auto flieger chronos, but they're all too thick? Case diameter is stretching it with 42mm, but some of those watches are like 15/16mm tall. I like the Hamilton khaki auto chrono, but 15mm case thickness is way too big.

EDIT-NM. I really don't like big watches. 42/13 is still too big. I may just still with the Antea. Who knows. I'll figure something out.

pwack

I spent a lot of time watch shopping over the holidays. I had it in my head that I was gonna get a used Speedmaster Pro; it has a reasonable price and great history behind it. But for some reason, I couldn't pull the trigger.

I stopped in a Panerai boutique in Dallas. I was familiar with the brand, but never really thought they looked great online. I tried on a few and LOVED them. I think I have a new grail. They are much pricier than a Speedy, so I have some more saving up to do. In the meantime, I purchased two "homages" in different case sizes to see what I like better on a day-to-day basis. The first arrived today.

Eh, I was also thinking about auto flieger chronos, but they're all too thick? Case diameter is stretching it with 42mm, but some of those watches are like 15/16mm tall. I like the Hamilton khaki auto chrono, but 15mm case thickness is way too big.

EDIT-NM. I really don't like big watches. 42/13 is still too big. I may just still with the Antea. Who knows. I'll figure something out.

Some watches are worn "bigger" and some "smaller".
I have a 48mm U-Boat which I feared would be to big for my tiny wrist, and it's perfect provided I wear the right stuff with it.
I also had a 42mm which looked ridiculously big on my wrist, and which I sold...

Unfortunately it's not a science :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I spent a lot of time watch shopping over the holidays. I had it in my head that I was gonna get a used Speedmaster Pro; it has a reasonable price and great history behind it. But for some reason, I couldn't pull the trigger.

I stopped in a Panerai boutique in Dallas. I was familiar with the brand, but never really thought they looked great online. I tried on a few and LOVED them. I think I have a new grail. They are much pricier than a Speedy, so I have some more saving up to do. In the meantime, I purchased two "homages" in different case sizes to see what I like better on a day-to-day basis. The first arrived today.

http://i.minus.com/jzX0ZgmpTgRjB.jpg]

If you need any help or impressions with Panerai, feel free to ask. I have about 6 of them.

Some watches are worn "bigger" and some "smaller".
I have a 48mm U-Boat which I feared would be to big for my tiny wrist, and it's perfect provided I wear the right stuff with it.
I also had a 42mm which looked ridiculously big on my wrist, and which I sold...

Unfortunately it's not a science :)

I was always leaning towards the seatime, but now that i've seen one on wrists just a bit over 6 inches, I think I may bite on one when I save the money:

IMG_7582_1.jpg

I just love the design.

Any idea where to buy one? I'm not sure about Stowa's main site. Plus, I it's all in a foreign language.

I was always leaning towards the seatime, but now that i've seen one on wrists just a bit over 6 inches, I think I may bite on one when I save the money:

IMG_7582_1.jpg

I just love the design.

Any idea where to buy one? I'm not sure about Stowa's main site. Plus, I it's all in a foreign language.

For new, the Stowa website is your only choice.

Just clic on the UK flag and the website will be displayed in English. Have fun.

pwack

If you need any help or impressions with Panerai, feel free to ask. I have about 6 of them.

1. When you say "about" six -- if you aren't quite sure how many you have, I will take the ones you can't keep track of.

2. Did you buy new or used? If used, any recommendations as to whom to deal with? I've got some leads, and am starting to track sellers and sales prices, but any advice would be welcome.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Do you have any with their new in house movement? Any impressions?

Aye, I just grabbed a 424 California Dial a few weeks back. Looking good so far on the price upswing but we'll see. It's no Bronzo, that's for sure. Movement is delicious, at least compared to my old 359's p.9000.

1. When you say "about" six -- if you aren't quite sure how many you have, I will take the ones you can't keep track of.

Haha, I move them here and there a lot so off the top of my head it's about. I honestly don't even know how many Rolex I have, though I know right away how many Patek I have..one lol.

2. Did you buy new or used? If used, any recommendations as to whom to deal with? I've got some leads, and am starting to track sellers and sales prices, but any advice would be welcome.

I always buy new from trusted dealers I know. Mostly local, but that depends on where I am currently. If you're talking Panerai specifically, there's really no better place than paneristi's forums. Good people there that take their deals seriously, and I've offloaded watches there before.

Damn, first scratch on my Seiko. noticed it a few days ago. And then I remembered bumping into something sometime a few days earlier. It isn't a big scratch but it can be felt with a fingernail. I don't mind having a watch that looks used, but I'd rather have some gradual wear and tear showing instead of a sudden scratch.

Hardlex ftl:(

Damn, first scratch on my Seiko. noticed it a few days ago. And then I remembered bumping into something sometime a few days earlier. It isn't a big scratch but it can be felt with a fingernail. I don't mind having a watch that looks used, but I'd rather have some gradual wear and tear showing instead of a sudden scratch.

Hardlex ftl:(

Maybe it can be attenuated with a bit of polish?

Brera

Banned
That's just the starting price.

The lume is old enough to not be white any more so unlikely to be fake.

I've bought loads of ebay inc a Seamaster. You buy the seller not the watch on ebay.

Then I'll gladly save a little more money to buy a used one, even with a few scratches on the band.

EDIT-I mean, if nobody bids on the watch, can you buy it for a $1000?

Then I'll gladly save a little more money to buy a used one, even with a few scratches on the band.

EDIT-I mean, if nobody bids on the watch, can you buy it for a $1000?

It does seem genuine to me, but impossible to be 100% sure.
He has a very clean history, and it includes very high end watches actually, so I'd say not too much risk. But because he does not include papers and boxes it's the right price to be honest... (I imagine they were lost, or grey market, this is the reason you pay less...)

kottila

This thread is dangerous for my wallet. I really want a Stowa now (actually two as I can't decide between flieger and a marine)

This thread is dangerous for my wallet. I really want a Stowa now (actually two as I can't decide between flieger and a marine)

A watch can mean something about your life, and thus become a discussion starter, do you have any link to sea/boats or to air/planes? Do you like one better? That could help you choosing :)

I'll ask here.

How are Akribos watches? JackThreads has a nice black one for $120, normally $645. They actually have a handful of them up in all colors.

Namely this one:

I can't talk personnally as I've never owned one, but a quick look on watchuseek tells me that people who own one have mixed experience, and that the customer service is horrible. As usual with a skeleton, the watch is a bit fragile, even more given the chinese automatic movement. On a side note, it's a 45mm case, it's a BIG fashion watch.

Also, don't buy it because of the mark down, those watches from the SWI Group - like Sturling - are always on sale somewhere, making their 'real' price the discounted one.

Personnally I don't find the design particularly attractive, and the black elements in the movement makes the time hard to read, so not a winner, but I admit that a skeleton for $120 is cheap.

kottila

A watch can mean something about your life, and thus become a discussion starter, do you have any link to sea/boats or to air/planes? Do you like one better? That could help you choosing :)

I need them both :) Think I'll try to find them used and in almost mint condition and save some money that way.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't talk personnally as I've never owned one, but a quick look on watchuseek tells me that people who own one have mixed experience, and that the customer service is horrible. As usual with a skeleton, the watch is a bit fragile, even more given the chinese automatic movement. On a side note, it's a 45mm case, it's a BIG fashion watch.

Also, don't buy it because of the mark down, those watches from the SWI Group - like Sturling - are always on sale somewhere, making their 'real' price the discounted one.

Personnally I don't find the design particularly attractive, and the black elements in the movement makes the time hard to read, so not a winner, but I admit that a skeleton for $120 is cheap.

Thanks for the write-up. I passed on it. If you see any sales on those watches you noted post them here. I can't afford the $200+ watches really, but sub $150 would be nice. :p

Hmmm. I have my eyes set on a used blue seamaster or the 2254:

385564d1297201290-fs-omega-seamaster-pro-2254-omega050.jpg

2254 is cheaper, and I really do like it. I see a lot of people selling the 36mm version because they want the 41mm. Seems like buyer's remorse due to how small the 36mm version is? You can find the 36mm (automatic) for around a grand, too.

I think 41mm is fine, and the lugs are just at the point of my wrists. And the case thickness is like 11mm, which is perfect, but I'm too worried that with the 36mm, the dial will look really tiny and lose that noticable face.

I like small watches, but I'm definately in the minority. My simple quartz tissot is only a 36 (my wrists are only 6.5 in)

and my wrists are 6 inches. I don't have a problem with a 36mm watch. I have a problem with the dial being too small and you can't see the beautiful craftsmanship that went into the watch.

Hey guys, I'm looking for something similar to this in terms of style -- along with the brown leather band, silver body, and black face -- but less bulky (smaller and possibly sleeker) and under $300, preferably, though I can stretch that if need be. Any recommendations? Ideal case width would be something like 39 mm, though that number is somewhat flexible.

Thanks for the write-up. I passed on it. If you see any sales on those watches you noted post them here. I can't afford the $200+ watches really, but sub $150 would be nice. :p

I would love to recommend something, but I just need a bit more than the budget, at least a 'genre' (dress, casual, everyday watch, sports, dive...), and a quality (design, durability, ...), if you are open to everything, let me please list a few I like:

Parnis Power Reserve Automatic

ParnisPowerReserve-5.jpg

It's an 'hommage' (not a replica, but inspired by the design of) to the IWC Portuguese watches line, among the classiest dress watch line there is. You can easily find one for less a $100.

Orient Diver 200M 'mako'

Orient200mandMako.jpg

Automatic movement with date, chronograph, a nice design and also less than a $100

Hope it helps.

Hey guys, I'm looking for something similar to this in terms of style -- along with the brown leather band, silver body, and black face -- but less bulky (smaller and possibly sleeker) and under $300, preferably, though I can stretch that if need be. Any recommendations?

I can't find the size on the page, what would be your ideal case diameter and width?

Enron

Banned
Hmmm. I have my eyes set on a used blue seamaster or the 2254:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attach...1290-fs-omega-seamaster-pro-2254-omega050.jpg

2254 is cheaper, and I really do like it. I see a lot of people selling the 36mm version because they want the 41mm. Seems like buyer's remorse due to how small the 36mm version is? You can find the 36mm (automatic) for around a grand, too.

I think 41mm is fine, and the lugs are just at the point of my wrists. And the case thickness is like 11mm, which is perfect, but I'm too worried that with the 36mm, the dial will look really tiny and lose that noticable face.

and my wrists are 6 inches. I don't have a problem with a 36mm watch. I have a problem with the dial being too small and you can't see the beautiful craftsmanship that went into the watch.

This is my daily wearer, the 2254.50. If I were you, i'd get one of these since it's OOP. If you want a regular blue seamaster, you can still get one fairly easily. There will come a time when it will be near impossible to get your hands on a 2254.50 without warts.

Mine

kfoix.jpg

If your wrists are 6 inches, though....i recommend you do some research as to what other watches are 41mm, and then go to a dealer and try one on and see how big it is on your wrist. with a wrist that small, the midsize version might look just right.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Ideal case width would be something like 39 mm, though that's a flexible number. I'll add that to the original post.

I can suggest a few, although I am sure there are other choice in this genre:

Maratac Mid Pilot Automatic (40mm, my personnal favorite):

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Citizen Eco Drive (40 mm) AT0200-05E

457567-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Seiko 5 Military Automatic Sport (40.5mm)

SNZG09J1_MED.jpg

It's hard to find much more simply because they are either a bit too large (pilot watch are usually 42mm+ to remain easy to readc), or a bit more expensive. If you are ok to push the budget a bit, you can take a look at those:

Laco Aachen

861690-0.jpg

Steinhart Nav. B-ur (although probably too big, but a nice piece nonetheless)

1898638779navb-vintage-B_47_01.jpg

Archimede Uren (perfect size, 39mm, and a FANTASTIC value for money, the same movement is used in $2k+ Tag Heuer...)

7969-a12-41.jpg

GalacticSushiman, those Archimede look great.

I'm right now checking Archimede's website and I have to say that pretty much every single model looks great (classy and very elegant). I'm mainly in love with those with blue hands (previously only seen in Stowa watches).

GalacticSushiman, those Archimede look great.

I'm right now checking Archimede's website and I have to say that pretty much every single model looks great (classy and very elegant). I'm mainly in love with those with blue hands (previously only seen in Stowa watches).

Always a pleasure to help with my meager knowledge!

...And I 200% agree with you, Archimede watches are absolute beauties, especially the blue hands models, and they are crafted with a lot of attention and high end movements you can trust.

FYI, this design is not owned by Stowa, it's the "flieger watch' (pilot watch in German) design derived from the WWII. A lot of manufactures were tasked by the Nazi gouvernment to create these during WWII (Stowa, but also Laco, IWC and A Lange and Sohne), and the design has really become universal since then.

Top Bottom