• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

FYI, this design is not owned by Stowa, it's the "flieger watch' (pilot watch in German) design derived from the WWII. A lot of manufactures were tasked by the Nazi gouvernment to create these during WWII (Stowa, but also Laco, IWC and A Lange and Sohne), and the design has really become universal since then.

Hehe, it seems my mediocre english caused a bit of confusion :p.

I didn't mean Stowa owned that style, but personally, until now Stowa was the only brand that I've seen using blue hands. I'm glad to know they aren't the only one, since I think blue hands look extremely gorgeous.

Anyways, this year I'm decided to own these two beauties:

Antea_KS_weiss_9.jpg

7969-a33-41.jpg

Cheers and thanks for that bit of historical facts :)

EDIT:

Do any of you guys know if there is a term to call those watches whose seconds hand movement is continuous, in opposite to the traditional ones that "jump" from one second to another?

This is the brand I really want, but I don't work in an office setting... Yet.

Classy as fuck.

In my opinion, that kind of design is so classy that it became, well... a classic, hence, you can wear it at any place, any time, with the only exception being sport activities.

I really think it would look great in any setting.

Oh and regarding the question in my previous post, I just found out it's called "smooth sweep" movement.

Hehe, it seems my mediocre english caused a bit of confusion :p.

I didn't mean Stowa owned that style, but personally, until now Stowa was the only brand that I've seen using blue hands. I'm glad to know they aren't the only one, since I think blue hands look extremely gorgeous.

Anyways, this year I'm decided to own these two beauties:

Antea_KS_weiss_9.jpg

7969-a33-41.jpg

Cheers and thanks for that bit of historical facts :)

EDIT:

Do any of you guys know if there is a term to call those watches whose seconds hand movement is continuous, in opposite to the traditional ones that "jump" from one second to another?

It may be my English and not yours, I am French :)

The common name is 'continuous sweep' for watch with this feature, it's just a question of movement:

If your watch is a quartz movement, it will most probably 'jump' from one second to the next (although there are SOME high end quartz actually have a continuous second hand), if your watch is mechanical (automatic or hand winding), then the second hand will move with the speed of the movement (for instance a Zenith El Primero will have 36600 vibrations in an hour, so roughly 10 vibrations in a second, which is too fast for our eye to feel as 'jumping' but almost feels like 'continuously flowing').

There are beautiful texts on the subject, how much more faithful it is to the concept of time passing - time flows and does not jump right? :) - that you can easily find on google.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what to use to hold a watch to use the wrench to get open a waterproof watch? I can't hold it steady to get it loose.

Edit: Nvm, got it.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

Got my Raketa 24h watch. I love the detail on the face. Everything looks smaller irl compared to all those close up photos. It's clear that this can't be regarded as a high end watch. The caliber is fulL proof but the moveable ring rattles a bit when shaking the watch. It also ticks quite loudly, but that only adds to the charm. The strap I bought earlier didn't fit so I combined the strap that came with the watch with the bund pad.

Is there any way to find out whether a used watch has been serviced or not? I'm still looking to buy a used Omega Seamaster, but I don't want to buy a watch that has been owned for many years, and then all of sudden after purchasing it from someone, a year or two later it starts to act up.

Is there a way by using the serial number? Also, I know some of the used watches are still under warranty.

So I finally saw Omegas and Tags in person, and let me just say that all of you watch snobs are correct: Tags feel cheap for the price they charge. The bracelt is so damn cheap, and it's comparable to my cheap Seiko chrono watch, especially the clasp. This is the Aquaracer here.

Now the Omegas. GOOD LAWD those Planet Oceans are gorgeous. It's just ashame that they're so thick. I did try on the Bond Seamaster, and it fits fine. That's about as big of a watch I can wear on my 6 in wrists.

The cost at Mayors for the watch is $4400. I get that watch new on Amazon for $3450, but I'm still buying used which I can find for around $1500.

It's funny, because on WUS, people always vote for a Seamaster quartz than a new auto aquaracer 300m.

So I finally saw Omegas and Tags in person, and let me just say that all of you watch snobs are correct: Tags feel cheap for the price they charge. The bracelt is so damn cheap, and it's comparable to my cheap Seiko chrono watch, especially the clasp. This is the Aquaracer here.

Now the Omegas. GOOD LAWD those Planet Oceans are gorgeous. It's just ashame that they're so thick. I did try on the Bond Seamaster, and it fits fine. That's about as big of a watch I can wear on my 6 in wrists.

The cost at Mayors for the watch is $4400. I get that watch new on Amazon for $3450, but I'm still buying used which I can find for around $1500.

It's funny, because on WUS, people always vote for a Seamaster quartz than a new auto aquaracer 300m.

Ahah, I am really proud to be one of those 'watch snob' in this case! Keep us posted on your progress on the Omega and good luck!

I finally caved in and bought a big sized watch: a used BR01-94 PVD, i was weary with the 46mm dial but the squareness make a it a lactually easier to pass.

cold sunday by MistakenMobius, on Flickr

Next stop: a Nomos Zürich Weltzeit i hope, such a beauty:
zwt_13.jpg

Monocle magazine AND nomos in the same post, you sir define class. Congrats on the B&R.

By the way, I am looking for a Glashutte Original Sport Chronograph, not the current model but the one before without the red numerals, if anyone has a lead, please share thx!

Magni

So I'm hesitating between three watches, much cheaper than the beauties I see in this thread, but a dilemma nonetheless.

Skagen 233XLTTN

Bering 11139-078

Braun BN0082 White

I've heard great things about Skagen, both their watches and their customer service, whereas I haven't really seen anything either positive or negative about Braun and Bering, so I'm more hesitant to go down those roads. Anyone have any experience with any of these three? Is there another similar watch that I'm overlooking?

kottila

Reading amazon reviews about skagen all you see is complaining about easily scratched glass which (together with the band) is not covered by their warranty. (I have a Skagen myself and have remained scratch-free so far)

pwack

So I'm hesitating between three watches, much cheaper than the beauties I see in this thread, but a dilemma nonetheless.

I've heard great things about Skagen, both their watches and their customer service, whereas I haven't really seen anything either positive or negative about Braun and Bering, so I'm more hesitant to go down those roads. Anyone have any experience with any of these three? Is there another similar watch that I'm overlooking?

Out of those three, I would go for the Braun. It looks the best, channeling the Dieter Rams design. I don't like the sloping lugs to the Skagen, but would pick it before the Bering, since I've never heard of that brand.

I have a fourth option to suggest, a watch that I think looks great. It does require that you not be terribly risk-adverse with your money:

Recently, the Chinese market has introduced a watch that is an homage to a much more expensive German-made Nomos model. The watch is pictured below. It has a Seagull automatic movement, which should be OK, but when paying this little for a Chinese auto, there is always a risk of problems, however slight. I know there is a thread for of people excited about this watch here, but I have not followed how happy they are with their purchases -- http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/af...iew-rodina-small-seconds-pictures-752788.html

Here's the watch:

pOgiqNH.jpg

jEBWRaS.jpg

One of the more reputable sellers of this watch is here: http://www.good-stuffs.com/Rodina-automatic-wrist-watch-OEM-by-Sea-Gull-ST17_p_156.html

Pocks

Out of those three, I would go for the Braun. It looks the best, channeling the Dieter Rams design. I don't like the sloping lugs to the Skagen, but would pick it before the Bering, since I've never heard of that brand.

I have a fourth option to suggest, a watch that I think looks great. It does require that you not be terribly risk-adverse with your money:

Recently, the Chinese market has introduced a watch that is an homage to a much more expensive German-made Nomos model. The watch is pictured below. It has a Seagull automatic movement, which should be OK, but when paying this little for a Chinese auto, there is always a risk of problems, however slight. I know there is a thread for of people excited about this watch here, but I have not followed how happy they are with their purchases -- http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/af...iew-rodina-small-seconds-pictures-752788.html

Here's the watch:

pOgiqNH.jpg

jEBWRaS.jpg

One of the more reputable sellers of this watch is here: http://www.good-stuffs.com/Rodina-automatic-wrist-watch-OEM-by-Sea-Gull-ST17_p_156.html

Wow, I really like that watch. I've been saving up for something a bit more costly, but I might have to jump on that. He notes on the website that you can get a brown leather band — perfect!

EDIT: Well, I like everything but the blue paint/powder coat on the crown.

Wanted to know of I can get a recommendation for a luxury watch watch for someone being promoted to General in the Air Force. His wife says she would like a black watch, black leather band, preferably a diamond at the 12 O'Clock. She would prefer a Kenneth Cole, however I would be up to show her other brands/designs.

What do you guys think? Budget would be $300-$500 I believe.

Wanted to know of I can get a recommendation for a luxury watch watch for someone being promoted to General in the Air Force. His wife says she would like a black watch, black leather band, preferably a diamond at the 12 O'Clock. She would prefer a Kenneth Cole, however I would be up to show her other brands/designs.

I think that a Kenneth Cole for a general of the US air force seems VERY cheap. I don't see the guy settling for less than a very high end pilot watch (IWC comes to mind), so we are talking 6k minimum.

Just my 2 cents, but the brand/budget and situation seem extremely disconnected...

pwack

GalacticS is sorta right -- in the land of watch snobs, luxury watches start around $5,000, not $500, especially pilot watches (Brietling, IWC). However, there are still are good options to be had in your price point. But first, two issues to note: 1) There is no reason to actually prefer Kenneth Cole as a brand. IF there is a Kenneth Cole-branded watch the wife has already seen and likes, that is one thing. But if the goal is to choose a good watch regardless of brand, you should aim to avoid Kenneth Cole (overpriced for its quality), rather than seek it out. 2) Finding a quality watch with a quality diamond in its face under $500 is gonna be hard.

With those points out of the way:

If the goal is a dress watch with a black face and a "diamond" at 12, I would suggest the Movado Museum collection. These aren't my style exactly, but they are iconic watches. They are also from an American company (originally Swiss), which may be a selling point for a member of our armed forces. They can be had for $500. (Note -- Seiko and others will sell some Movado-inspired watches in the $150-$250 range, but c'mon -- he's a general!)

0606502w_459x715.jpg

If the goal is a more traditional black faced, black strap watch, the best watch for the money in your price range, in my opinion, is a Seiko SARB071. You have to import these from Japan, but they are very high quality automatics (no battery, a weight winds the spring). Very solid, handsome, classic design.

sarb071.jpg

You can also do a Hamilton automatic -- they are the reverse of Movado, a historically American company now owned by the Swiss -- or a Tissot automatic -- they are a tradiitonally Swiss company.

jomashop_2243_437796550

jomashop_2244_124039067

unF1OKe.jpg

Looks like the 35 dollar casio I have.

It's an example not an argument, that said they have a good PR manager at the US army to make you believe a general is wearing a 25 bucks casio :p

(and it seems like a suunto to me, which makes sense given it's functionalities)

And I fully agree with Pwack, very good recommendations.

East Lake

Does a Suunto you can't make out make him less relatable than an sgw200? Why aren't other general wearing shitty watches? Pretty stringent pr.

East Lake

I think it's relevant to illmatic's question. You can wear a luxury watch in interviews where the public actually sees you, but you can't because it might be offensive to those who don't earn much, so you can wear what looks like a cheap casio in public unless you don't like that and would like to wear a more expensive watch to impress, which you could also do off-camera if didn't want to wear a cheap watch, unless you like a cheap watch which also seems to be okay.

I like the Seiko and Hamilton

I think it's relevant to illmatic's question. You can wear a luxury watch in interviews where the public actually sees you, but you can't because it might be offensive to those who don't earn much, so you can wear what looks like a cheap casio in public unless you don't like that and would like to wear a more expensive watch to impress, which you could also do off-camera if didn't want to wear a cheap watch, unless you like a cheap watch which also seems to be okay.

I like the Seiko and Hamilton

We are not talking about wearing - hence my post about this discussion being of topic - we are talking about celebrating the professional achievement of a lifetime, maybe a dream that took dozens of years to fulfill, by offering a timepiece.
This is why, while I respect and praise Pwack for his excellent recommendations especially the Seiko, I stand by my post. You fought your way up to an exceptional position, you deserve the best. IMHO.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Personally I have a Seiko SNKxxx and a Black Monster. Big fan of Seikos, his wife wanted a recommendation and that was what she told me. I'll be sure to shoot these decisions over to her. I believe that an Air Force general should deff have a higher quality watch than Kennith Cole.

Enron

Banned
Seiko SARB071 maybe? Subtly pronounced 12 o'clock without the gaudy diamonds.

Obama has a 350 dollar watch.

Obama has also been spotted wearing 2000$ watches. Its just the one he wears on tv is usually the inexpensive one (given to him by his security detail).

Ice 9

Banned
Looking for a more traditional watch for some variety compared to another OPS! watch.

Liking Timex's silhouette's and being a Canada bro has given access to this sick wrist strap colorway.

timex-hudsons-bay-company-watch-1-630x559.jpg

Free free to send me large amounts of money for my BAPEX fund.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I need some work watches. What do you guys match the watch color to? Pants? Shirt?

I'd like to get two watches and spend around $300. One dark and one light. What goes best with everything? I usually switch between black, grey, khaki pants and black, blue, red, etc shirts if that matters.

I'm new to this whole thing. My favorite casual watch right now is the G-Shock Eminem wears in the "I need a Doctor" video, love it though.

dojokun

Banned
Tip for Seiko fans who want sapphire crystal on a Seiko instead of Hardlex:

I called Seiko's New Jersey customer service center, and they said they can replace a hardlex crystal with a sapphire for you. You mail the watch in, and they get back to you with an estimate. I haven't done it yet so I don't know how much it is, but wow am I glad they offer this service. So many good looking Seikos out there that would be perfect if not for lack of sapphire.

SCA-Service Center
1111 MacArthur Blvd
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Tel. 1.800.722.4452

So I need some work watches. What do you guys match the watch color to? Pants? Shirt?

I'd like to get two watches and spend around $300. One dark and one light. What goes best with everything? I usually switch between black, grey, khaki pants and black, blue, red, etc shirts if that matters.

I'm new to this whole thing. My favorite casual watch right now is the G-Shock Eminem wears in the "I need a Doctor" video, love it though.

You can start by grabbing the Eminem one you love, DW6900NB-1, and then look for something more classic, usually in that price range I recommend Parnis and Orient.

I called Seiko's New Jersey customer service center, and they said they can replace a hardlex crystal with a sapphire for you. You mail the watch in, and they get back to you with an estimate. I haven't done it yet so I don't know how much it is, but wow am I glad they offer this service. So many good looking Seikos out there that would be perfect if not for lack of sapphire.

SCA-Service Center
1111 MacArthur Blvd
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Tel. 1.800.722.4452

Will deff give them a call for my black monster.

IronRinn

SCA-Service Center
1111 MacArthur Blvd
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Tel. 1.800.722.4452

Oooo, really? That is good to know. Unfortunately, the only Seiko I have at the moment that I would want to do this one had a pretty acute dome, which you can't really do with sapphire. Will keep that in mind in the future though.

Will deff give them a call for my black monster.

Hows the Monster? It has a cult status but I keep reading that the calibre is kind of mediocre. I love the chunky look of it but I want something good to be inside of it too.

I wonder what people think of the new Monster, which comes with hacking and hand winding functionality..

Gonna hold off on used Seamaster for now. Seems a bit selfish for me buy an Omega and spend around $1600 when my mother needs help playing the bills. Not that I don't help her, I do give her money whenever she needs it.

Anyway, I'm probably going to go with this instead:

archimedesport-8974-A12-M.jpg

archimedesport-8974-A14-M.jpg

Deciding on which color I want. There aren't many dive watches that are 40mmx12mm, so this seems to fit the bill. It's a well built solid watch with the usual ETA movement. The only thing I'm worried about is the strap's length. My 6 inch wrists may be too big for it and the tail will overlap. I do like the leather strap, though. I just don't know how long they are. I have tried a Casio dive watch with a rubber strap before, and that fit nicely.

EDIT--I also wouldn't mind finding a used Seamaster quartz if I can find one for around $800-$900, but good luck with that. Yes, it's an Omega still, but at least I wouldn't be spending $1600 for an auto.

EDITx2--I see there's an orange bezel version of the Sporttaucher?

http://www.photowatches.eu/albums/kibi/archimede/ArchimedeSportTaucher/DSC_1871.jpg

It almost looks like the Planet Ocean. But I don't see the watch on Archimede site.

Peru

Some gorgeous watches here, the Raketa is a very nice unique oldie btw, but the Blancpain moonphase really gets to me. Man. Weltzeit also gorgeous.

If I were to get an Eco Drive which would I get for a dress watch that matches everything? Is there another brand I should look at?

Eco drive can go from a $100 to a $1000, a very large bracket :)

I agree that those are quite versatile but personally I would focus on the perpetual calendar line: useful complication, versatile design but definitely a dress watch, which you seem to prefer.

For less than a $1000, especially if it needs to be a dress watch, I would recommend to look at Stowa and Automatic Seiko (see a few posts above).

Don't hesitate to narrow down the budget and we may have other recommendations, Good luck!

I'm on a Gold Rush Alaska marathon this weekend and I discovered Dave wears the same watch as I do:p

SNDA65_O_

Thanks again for recommending this model, I just spent a great week in the everglades with it and I can confirm it's a wonderful timepiece, especially the chronometer.

Just out of curiosity, I destroyed the original strap when I exchanged it with a maratac, could have I kept it?

Top Bottom