• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Someone on WUS is selling this 2531 Seamater for 1095. It's pretty dinged up around the bezel. I don't think it comes with the braclet, too. Plus, it loses 15 seconds a day:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...ze-automatic-$1095-trade-4-quartz-812380.html

Not sure if I want to bite. I'd have to replace the band and bezel, and get it serviced. I think I can wait and find something around $1500.

If I go new, it's going to be Longines Hydroconquest. I'd swap the band for a black leather strap. Longines seems to be a damn good brand, and from what I've been reading, there's talk Longines will replace Omega's spot as Omega moves up.

Enron

Banned
Someone on WUS is selling this 2531 Seamater for 1095. It's pretty dinged up around the bezel. I don't think it comes with the braclet, too. Plus, it loses 15 seconds a day:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...ze-automatic-$1095-trade-4-quartz-812380.html

Not sure if I want to bite. I'd have to replace the band and bezel, and get it serviced. I think I can wait and find something around $1500.

If I go new, it's going to be Longines Hydroconquest. I'd swap the band for a black leather strap. Longines seems to be a damn good brand, and from what I've been reading, there's talk Longines will replace Omega's spot as Omega moves up.

Before i bought my SMP i SERIOUSLY considered a Hydroconquest. But everytime i looked at it, i couldn't help but thinking that whenever I looked down at my wrist I'd just wish I had gotten the Omega instead. Don't settle!

Pass on that SMP. That thing's dinged to hell and back. If its in real bad shape you might have to get the movement worked on or replaced. $$$$$$

Before i bought my SMP i SERIOUSLY considered a Hydroconquest. But everytime i looked at it, i couldn't help but thinking that whenever I looked down at my wrist I'd just wish I had gotten the Omega instead. Don't settle!

Pass on that SMP. That thing's dinged to hell and back. If its in real bad shape you might have to get the movement worked on or replaced. $$$$$$

Yeah, I know. I'll eventually find one in decent shape at a good price. Ebay sells quite a few 2531s for around $1500. Top rated sellers, too. I'm still looking at the 2254, too. I'm actually leaning towards the 2254, because I don't like the skeleton hands on the Bond SM. Actually, yeah. I'm going to wait it out for a 2254. :D

If you or anyone you know want to sell a 2254, let me know.

If I had $1800 now, I'd get this 2254:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6415153&rid=0#msg_6415153

I guess I can hold out until end of March.

pwack

Yeah, I know. I'll eventually find one in decent shape at a good price. Ebay sells quite a few 2531s for around $1500. Top rated sellers, too. I'm still looking at the 2254, too. I'm actually leaning towards the 2254, because I don't like the skeleton hands on the Bond SM. Actually, yeah. I'm going to wait it out for a 2254. :D

If you or anyone you know want to sell a 2254, let me know.

If I had $1800 now, I'd get this 2254:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6415153&rid=0#msg_6415153

I guess I can hold out until end of March.

You should reach out to a person named Kringkily and ask him if he can find what you need for a price that works. He 's on the watch sales forums. He's a very well respected reseller of used Speadmasters who has recently started selling Seamasters as well.

He currently has 2264s with an asking price of <$1700, and 54s a little over $2k. Not sure how negotiable his pricing is.
Check out his current postigs here: http://www.watchrecon.com/?adv_form=1&user_name=Kringkily

Antea_KS_weiss_9.jpg
Yeah. This is pure sex.

b3b0p

casio-g-shock-red.jpg

Has anyone checked out the 30th anniversary G-shocks? I'm really tempted to get that 30th anniversary Frogman...
There are 2 versions of the Frogman it looks like. One is $500 and one is $1,700 at jewelers.

I want any Frogman, but have not been able to get myself to spend the $700+ I typically see them on sale for.

maeh2k

Eh, you know, maybe I'll go with the Stowa Antea:

lv31ffmz6b8vj58ezr-img_2854.jpg

Looks classic, plus I want something other than a SS bracelet. I don't think I'm going to be in a situation where I'm swimming with a watch or stuff like that, so a leather band is fine. I think the more formal looking stowas are the best bang for the buck.

I think that watch looks absolutely fantastic. At some point I could see myself getting one of those. But I'd like to see some more pictures of people actually wearing those watches. Mostly there are just photos of the watches alone or on a wrist, but you don't see enough go really get a sense of the size.

I'd like to really see the difference between the 390 and the 365. Do the diameters include the knob on the side? Or the parts to connect the wristband? On some photos those watches look pretty huge.

pwack

I think that watch looks absolutely fantastic. At some point I could see myself getting one of those. But I'd like to see some more pictures of people actually wearing those watches. Mostly there are just photos of the watches alone or on a wrist, but you don't see enough go really get a sense of the size.

I'd like to really see the difference between the 390 and the 365. Do the diameters include the knob on the side? Or the parts to connect the wristband? On some photos those watches look pretty huge.

The 390 is 39mm, which is generally average/below average size these days (although a very classic size). You'll see a lot of watches at 42 or 44mm. That said, because the Stowa has such a small bezel, the face of the watch will look big compared to a 42mm diver watch with a large rotating bezel on it.

Comparing the 390 and the 365, its worth remembering that the surface area of a watch is exponentially effected by diameter. The extra 2.5mm gives you about 14% more surface area (1045 square mm versus 1194 square mm). Best advice would be to try on something similar if you can. You should be able to find 39 and 36mm watches a plenty in a store to give you an idea, even though Stowa itself is hard to find in person.

Also -- knob = crown, "parts" = lugs. Neither is included as part of the diameter. To my eye, the lugs on the Stowa are pretty long, although the curve will minimize total effect.

You should reach out to a person named Kringkily and ask him if he can find what you need for a price that works. He 's on the watch sales forums. He's a very well respected reseller of used Speadmasters who has recently started selling Seamasters as well.

He currently has 2264s with an asking price of <$1700, and 54s a little over $2k. Not sure how negotiable his pricing is.
Check out his current postigs here: http://www.watchrecon.com/?adv_form=1&user_name=Kringkily

Someone is selling a 2254 for just over $1800. It has a scratch near the 3 o clock bezel. I PM'd him asking if he can wait a couple of weeks if nobody buys it.

You can have look on Watchuseek, there are discussion between the 2 models - but ultimately the decision should be owing to the size of your wrist. You will also find some pics on wrist there.

Generally, the diameter does NOT include the crown, but there could be exceptions.

Ordered it 31 january and got it today. Sent from Singapore and no shipping costs. Great price including box and papers. I have nothing but good things to say about Creationwatches.

IMG_0234.JPG

I plan to replace the rubber strap with a bracelet from yobokies.

slider

Ordered it 31 january and got it today. Sent from Singapore and no shipping costs. Great price including box and papers. I have nothing but good things to say about Creationwatches.

Great looking watch and Creation have some great deals (when compared to the RRP) on Seikos and Casio (Protreks etc).

I've used them in the past and I agree they were pretty darn good.

IMG_0234.JPG

I really like it too, it will look fantastic with the new bracelet, please share pics when it's modified :)

I finally chose, after 6 months of internal debate, what my watch of 2013 will be, and I have settled for a Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar:

glashutte-panomaticlunar-90-02-42-32-05_PML_St_si_2.jpg

It should be on my wrist in March, I'll share a few pics with you guys when it's in :)

They look great. But rubber feels too rigid and I'm quite sensitive to straps that have limited flex.

I never got used to it. I just gritted my teeth until the bracelet arrived.

I've read some people take the straps off and boil the rubber in hot water to make it pliable. Than you can put it on your wrist and after it cools down, it will conform to your wrist. Yeah I didn't try it. The rubber strap is too casual looking. It really only goes with shorts. In all other instances, the metal bracelet is my preference.

I finally chose, after 6 months of internal debate, what my watch of 2013 will be, and I have settled for a Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar:

It should be on my wrist in March, I'll share a few pics with you guys when it's in :)[/QUOTE]

Damn thats a Great looking watch. Very clean

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really like it too, it will look fantastic with the new bracelet, please share pics when it's modified :)

It should be on my wrist in March, I'll share a few pics with you guys when it's in :)
I want this... dare I ask the price?

Also, what say you for $126 watch Gaf?

I looked up that Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar watch.. Like 12k , when it first came out anyways.
I just bought a citizen watch, they're nice watches. That watch is nice and clean you posted. . Here's mine I'm proud of it. Haha
281757904_MV_ZM.jpg

Used you can get it for around 6k, new it's 10k from an authorized dealer (but it includes years of warranty and free servicing...).

I tried it in a store in Miami, and it looks even better for real :)

For $120, go Orient for a Dive, or Panis for a Dress. If you want something more versatile, SEIKO all the way :)

If you have more information on what you want we may be able to help more.

IMG_0234.JPG

Very nice looking watch, i hope you are very happy with it

ARGH. My TV is now acting up. Three blue vertical lines I see on the display. Now I may have to wait on a Omega for awhile. Not so sure, so I've been looking at other watches. The Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono looks gorgeous, and even though I said I don't like chronos, the Jazzmaster is an exception. Not yet set on it, though. May end up getting a Stowa Antea or Hydroconquest, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the lug to lug distance is on the Jazzmaster:

41lF6dExAlL.jpg

If anyone knows the answer, and I'm not talking about lug width, I'll kiss ya.

ARGH. My TV is now acting up. Three blue vertical lines I see on the display. Now I may have to wait on a Omega for awhile. Not so sure, so I've been looking at other watches. The Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono looks gorgeous, and even though I said I don't like chronos, the Jazzmaster is an exception. Not yet set on it, though. May end up getting a Stowa Antea or Hydroconquest, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the lug to lug distance is on the Jazzmaster:

41lF6dExAlL.jpg

If anyone knows the answer, and I'm not talking about lug width, I'll kiss ya.

Buy a new TV and wait a bit more for the Omega SPM, the Jazzmaster does not even compare...

Chinner

Banned
yeah just want to chime in with the stowa love. ive got a stowa creme and its a sexiful watch. would love to get one of the marines one day.

maeh2k

Despite how much I like the design of the Stowa Antea, I'm not really sold on mechanical watches in general.

How exactly are they better than other watches such as the Citizen Eco-Drive ones? The added thickness seems seems like a disadvantage when it comes to usability. And, while nice, having a window underneath the watch to look at the gears isn't all that helpful.

A Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive is about half as high as an Antea 390 and also has a very nice, minimalistic look. I might even prefer the look of the case (especially the lugs):
More pictures and data: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00434BZ8K

pwack

Despite how much I like the design of the Stowa Antea, I'm not really sold on mechanical watches in general.

How exactly are they better than other watches such as the Citizen Eco-Drive ones? The added thickness seems seems like a disadvantage when it comes to usability. And, while nice, having a window underneath the watch to look at the gears isn't all that helpful.

A Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive is about half as high as an Antea 390 and also has a very nice, minimalistic look. I might even prefer the look of the case (especially the lugs):

Unless you have a particular fascination for the anachronism that is a mechanical watch movement, then the Eco-drive will suit you just fine.

Mechanical movements can be extremely well made, heirloom-quality machines, and high end watch couture is limited to mechanicals for the most part. But if that isn't what you are looking for and interested in paying for, quartz and/or Eco-drive is fine, assuming the style is what you want.

There are pros and cons to autos and quartz:

For quartz:

+ Cheaper to maintain
+ More accurate
+ Will take a beating more than auto
+ Quartz watches are cheaper

I like the sweeping second hand, but OTOH, how often will I look down at my watch and just look at the second hand?

When I saw my friend's Planet Ocean, I was amazed at the quality of the watch. You can definately tell the difference. The dome, bracelet, and dial were superb.

It's totally ok to prefer the Eco-Drive to a mechanical watch. There are even good reasons to prefer it (Quartz is more accurate and usually less fragile than a mechanical movement).

But do not be mistaken, you can get the time on your wrist for less than $10, so even when choosing an Eco-Drive, you are already buying a 'luxury' good for it's brand image more than for its sole purpose.
As the former Swatch CEO once said, 'a watch is a fashion item, that also happens to tell time', not the other way around. So, as much as it's ok to prefer an Eco-Drive, you are already choosing style/reliability/readability over purpose - and thus judging people because they like to 'see the movement behind' is a bit unfair :)

That said, I, personally, would not even compare both watches, Bauhaus take on minimalism is VERY different than the Japanese take on it IMHO. Stowa is affordable sophistication, when Eco-Drive is the high end of cheap simplicity...
Just my view :)

Not so long ago I started wearing a watch again. A really nice quartz driven Seiko. In its function and style it suited my needs perfectly. I even had a bit of contempt towards mechanical driven watches. Why would anyone wear functionally inferior watch while paying a premium price for it?

While browsing for my first watch I had already noticed the very sharply priced automatic Seiko 5's on Amazon. They started an itch. Then, WUS introduced me to the very cheap Russian Vostok brand. It had history, a unique style and a solid movement. After days of contemplating the type I wanted (Vostok had a huge amount of dial styles) I made my choice. For 51 euro I thought I couldn't go wrong.

And man I didn't. When I got my first auto the quartz almost immediately was put on second place. Putting and automatic on means immediate gratification. The fact that your own movement drives that tiny mechanism inside just feels so right. It isn't as precise as a quartz but does it really need to be? I'd take the quartz if I was going to be away from society and internet for a while. But with the amount of computer clocks surrounding us an automatic doesn't have to be that accurate.

I've also found out that I just don't have that much of a connection with non auto mechanical watches. I have one and I love the style but I just have to have that feeling of being able to drive a watch indefinitely.

I still don't want to pay too much for a watch. I'm more of a bang for buck underdog model guy. But luckily there's a huge selection of affordable mechanical watches available. And I've not even delved in the quality Chinese movements.

As it stands, I've just received my second automatic and fourth watch that I bought in the past six months. Watchuseek's affordable watches section be damned!

maeh2k

Here's the watch I've had for about eight years I think:

A Citizen Titanium WR100 Eco-Drive. I don't have any particularly good photos of it and I can't find any pictures online any more.

I really like the design a lot. I especially love the design of the metal band. The face is pretty nice, too. But I hardly wear it any more. The metal wristband isn't that comfortable since it can't be adjusted without adding/removing elements.

So at some point in the future (i.e. when I make money ^^) I'll probably get one with a leather wrist band.

Not so long ago I started wearing a watch again. A really nice quartz driven Seiko. In its function and style it suited my needs perfectly. I even had a bit of contempt towards mechanical driven watches. Why would anyone wear functionally inferior watch while paying a premium price for it?

While browsing for my first watch I had already noticed the very sharply priced automatic Seiko 5's on Amazon. They started an itch. Then, WUS introduced me to the very cheap Russian Vostok brand. It had history, a unique style and a solid movement. After days of contemplating the type I wanted (Vostok had a huge amount of dial styles) I made my choice. For 51 euro I thought I couldn't go wrong.

And man I didn't. When I got my first auto the quartz almost immediately was put on second place. Putting and automatic on means immediate gratification. The fact that your own movement drives that tiny mechanism inside just feels so right. It isn't as precise as a quartz but does it really need to be? I'd take the quartz if I was going to be away from society and internet for a while. But with the amount of computer clocks surrounding us an automatic doesn't have to be that accurate.

I've also found out that I just don't have that much of a connection with non auto mechanical watches. I have one and I love the style but I just have to have that feeling of being able to drive a watch indefinitely.

I still don't want to pay too much for a watch. I'm more of a bang for buck underdog model guy. But luckily there's a huge selection of affordable mechanical watches available. And I've not even delved in the quality Chinese movements.

As it stands, I've just received my second automatic and fourth watch that I bought in the past six months. Watchuseek's affordable watches section be damned!

Poor Man Watch Forum can be a very good source too :)

Oh, and when you start looking at China, please consider this, it's an affordable beauty:

seagull.png

A reissue of the 1963 SeaGull pilot watch, I had one and I regret selling it...

Oh, and when you start looking at China, please consider this, it's an affordable beauty:

seagull.png

Holy hell, that forum is ugly!;) But I'll check it out. I've seen the watch come by a few times. It's not entirely my style but I'm betting that a bit of research into the past of that watch will change that. So I won't. Yet...

Enron

Banned
Holy hell, that forum is ugly!;) But I'll check it out. I've seen the watch come by a few times. It's not entirely my style but I'm betting that a bit of research into the past of that watch will change that. So I won't. Yet...

Yeah, the pmwf is decidedly stuck in 1994.

Maiar_m

seagull.png

I'll be needing a link and a one-click purchase button to that beauty :x

Also, here's what I usually wear (black one with black pants / formal wear, brown with jeans)

Top Bottom