• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Does anyone know of any classic Soviet watches that might be worth tracking down for kitsch value?

Also, can anyone recommend a watch repair/jeweler in Chicago? I have an automatic Victorinox that only holds a charge for 4 hours when taken off, even when worn all day. The official Victorinox repair center said it would be $250 and take 8 weeks.

Sucks that Stowa watches take months to ship. Only other alternative I can think of is buying used from someone.

Someone posted in this thread they have to wait until May to get their watch. Bump that.

Does anyone know of any classic Soviet watches that might be worth tracking down for kitsch value?

Also, can anyone recommend a watch repair/jeweler in Chicago? I have an automatic Victorinox that only holds a charge for 4 hours when taken off, even when worn all day. The official Victorinox repair center said it would be $250 and take 8 weeks.

You want to look at VOSTOK, POLJOT and in there the STRELA line. This beauty for instance ($500):

regular_strelawhite%20%282%29.jpg

Don't be mistaken though, they are superb, hold a great historic value, but the movements are really not as accurate and reliable as their Swiss, Japanese and German counterparts.

Have a look here to start :)

Take note, Vostok Europe isn't exactly Russian. There are models that use a Russian caliber but the company also uses Japanese movements. Still a very valid brand though with some uniquely styled watches.

Edit: Check out this guy's shop. http://stores.ebay.com/zenitar-store. I bought this one from him. Afaik he buys his watches directly from the Vostok factory; the same Factory that made the same watches before the fall of the Berlin wall. There's a huge amount of dials to choose from. Many with nice CCCP or USSR themes on them. Amphibia generally are automatics while Komandisrkies are mechanical.

You want to look at VOSTOK, POLJOT and in there the STRELA line. This beauty for instance ($500):

regular_strelawhite%20%282%29.jpg

Don't be mistaken though, they are superb, hold a great historic value, but the movements are really not as accurate and reliable as their Swiss, Japanese and German counterparts.

Have a look here to start :)

Thanks a ton! That looks perfect. My Victorinox has a simple black face and I've been looking for an affordable white chronograph that isn't too boring to wear as an alternate.

Budget, use, style?

500.00-600.00, everyday use, not sure on style. I'd like a closable case for it with some modest design engravings. I personally like a copper or rose gold look, but also like some silver watches i've seen.

Really in the end I'm looking for something nice, but functionally sound enough so I can give it to my son one day and it'll still work.

Maiar, you SURE you don't want THIS:

DSC_4754.jpg

Now I want one. Damn Stowa for taking months to ship.

EDIT-Seems like it doesn't take months to ship to the USA from what I've been reading on WUS.

500.00-600.00, everyday use, not sure on style. I'd like a closable case for it with some modest design engravings. I personally like a copper or rose gold look, but also like some silver watches i've seen.

Really in the end I'm looking for something nice, but functionally sound enough so I can give it to my son one day and it'll still work.

Potential heirloom then. Mmmm, that narrows it down.

I don't know if you can really find something that 'precious' and meaningful for that price, but I would suggest looking at vintage Zenith Pocket Watch. The history and movement are iconic, and Gandhi had one (try to beat that Rolex :):)).

You can start by looking at Chrono 24 and ebay.

I just found this right away on ebay, very affordable ($375), and quite classy if you ask me (although it does not answer your style requirements, but other models do):

$T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOO2+BQq9p)pT7g~~60_3.JPG

You'll find a lot of Turckish Istanbul Pocket Watch when you search, don't worry, it's just the one Gordon Levitt had in Looper :):) (and it look gorgeous, although I am not sure about the movement...).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Maybe not. Not seeing it on their site. Sucks.

What are your guys thought on IWC watches? Overrated for the price or what?
If you appreciate the IWC style, go for it. The Spitfires are classics, albeit a bit overpriced in the recent versions IMHO. The Aquatimers are icons.

I finally ordered the Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar 2012 I was so excited about.
It's the first time I buy a watch for that much.

I feel both VERY good, some kind of personal achievement to have saved for my grail during months, and also extremely guilty - even if I did not have to cancel any investment for it, I can't help but think about what that money COULD have bought - for me and for others around me.

Yeah, I know, firstworldproblem.gif :)

Arrival early April.

Bought my first Timex. Initially was set on getting the black/tan but thought this one looked much better in-person. Really liking it so far.

2SiJokil.jpg

Not purchasing any of these unless I get my tax return this coming week, but what do you think of these two 2531s. The two are selling for under $1300:

This one seems like it's in good condition, but there's a pretty deep scratch on the 9 o clock bezel. Looks like you can see the steel. And I can't tell if that's a scratch on the crystal or not. Scratches on crystals=no buy:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6422476&rid=0#msg_6422476

Now the next one's bezel is pretty worn down:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/re...size-blue-dial-2531-80-all-papers-815667.html

Red tip on the second hand has already faded.

Not purchasing any of these unless I get my tax return this coming week, but what do you think of these two 2531s. The two are selling for under $1300:

This one seems like it's in good condition, but there's a pretty deep scratch on the 9 o clock bezel. Looks like you can see the steel. And I can't tell if that's a scratch on the crystal or not. Scratches on crystals=no buy:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6422476&rid=0#msg_6422476

Now the next one's bezel is pretty worn down:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/re...size-blue-dial-2531-80-all-papers-815667.html

Red tip on the second hand has already faded.

The second one seems like it had a rough life, but it's ok, the crack on the first one is too big not to imply a careless owner, just my two cents.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have been wearing this Seiko 4R15 for a couple of yearrs now

3380162339_df491152b6_z.jpg

Will upgrade at some point but need something more expensive / more murdered out. And preferably with +48hr time reserve.

Bought my first Timex. Initially was set on getting the black/tan but thought this one looked much better in-person. Really liking it so far.

2SiJokil.jpg

I bought this since I liked the dial and it was cheap but I banged case on a car door once (pretty lightly, too) and the chronograph hand moved out of place, so when it's neutral it's at like 11:58 instead of 12 now. Annoyed me too much so I don't wear it anymore~

pwack

I bought this since I liked the dial and it was cheap but I banged case on a car door once (pretty lightly, too) and the chronograph hand moved out of place, so when it's neutral it's at like 11:58 instead of 12 now. Annoyed me too much so I don't wear it anymore~

Not sure how the Timex movement works, but on my chronos, I can do as follows:

1. Pull out the crown, as though I were going to set the time. Watch hands stop.

2. Push the "Start" pusher for the chrono repeatedly. Each push advances the chrono origin point by 1 minute on the dial.

3. When you have the chrono hand lined up, push the crown back in. If it worked, you should be all fixed.

StMeph

Now I want one. Damn Stowa for taking months to ship.

EDIT-Seems like it doesn't take months to ship to the USA from what I've been reading on WUS.

I recently got a Marine Original, and it was surprisingly fast. Placed my order late August 2012, they asked for some wrist measurements, and then informed me that it was ready for shipment in late September. The estimate on the website was still 2-3 months; took about a week to process the payment. Got the watch in early October.

Pretty happy with it, but the Marine is really kind of huge, in terms of thickness. It's based on a pocket watch movement, but I didn't quite realize it would be that big. I also requested an onion crown replacement for the usual one, which they forgot to do, but I didn't really raise a fuss about it, because after seeing the normal one, I actually like it. I ordered croco straps, but due to the additional customs papers that needed to be filed, they shipped those separately (no extra charge), and provided me with a leather strap in the meanwhile (also no charge).

The Antea Day-Date is nice too. I say that because I later discovered Dornbluth & Sohn, which is similar enough to the Marine that I can't really justify both. But the Dornbluth is magnificent.

Edit: if you're wondering about Customs duties, from the US you do not pay VAT, which is a big difference. I was later billed by FedEx for about $13 on customs for the watch, and then another $17 for croco straps.

pwack

Ask him directly to provide you with proofs (an ebay account with large positive feedback, testimonies of other WUS members...) if he cannot provide you with anything, you take a BIG chance :)

On the positive side, based on the pictures, the serial number on the watch does match the card, so that's one helpful bit of info.

The problem with Stowa and other brands like Hamilton are that even if the case diameter is 40mm, the lugs are freaking LONG. Even on a 40mm the lug to lug length is like 49mm-50mm. Lug to lug is what matters most to me. The Stowa 365 lug to lug seems to be just over 45mm, which isn't bad.

I also like the Hamilton thinomatic. In person, I was shocked at how well built they are:

757417d1341674130-hamilton-jazzmaster-viewmatic-40-mm-watch-too-big-hamilton_thinomatic_012_-640x395-.jpg

If I'm still feeling too guilty on buying an Omega, I may go for thinomatic and a Seiko orange monster. That would put me under a grand.

The problem with Stowa and other brands like Hamilton are that even if the case diameter is 40mm, the lugs are freaking LONG. Even on a 40mm the lug to lug length is like 49mm-50mm. Lug to lug is what matters most to me. The Stowa 365 lug to lug seems to be just over 45mm, which isn't bad.

I also like the Hamilton thinomatic. In person, I was shocked at how well built they are:

757417d1341674130-hamilton-jazzmaster-viewmatic-40-mm-watch-too-big-hamilton_thinomatic_012_-640x395-.jpg

If I'm still feeling too guilty on buying an Omega, I may go for thinomatic and a Seiko orange monster. That would put me under a grand.

I know that feeling, yet I would recommend to wait and really go for what you want - which is clearly an OMEGA given your posts :)

If you need to wait to save some more money to then be able to offer something to your wife out of guilt, do it.

But settling for a watch, which costs probably 60-70% of the one you really want, is never a good idea on the long term :)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not sure how the Timex movement works, but on my chronos, I can do as follows:

1. Pull out the crown, as though I were going to set the time. Watch hands stop.

2. Push the "Start" pusher for the chrono repeatedly. Each push advances the chrono origin point by 1 minute on the dial.

3. When you have the chrono hand lined up, push the crown back in. If it worked, you should be all fixed.

Oh interesting, I'll try this.

Then again, not sure I want to wear it instead of the Seiko.

Need something blacker! Dievas Shadow, Orient Disk, etc. Dievas is nice but kind of pricey for me ATM.

I know that feeling, yet I would recommend to wait and really go for what you want - which is clearly an OMEGA given your posts :)

If you need to wait to save some more money to then be able to offer something to your wife out of guilt, do it.

But settling for a watch, which costs probably 60-70% of the one you really want, is never a good idea on the long term :)

Well, when money is tight, I really shouldn't be buying a used Omega. I have a decent amount of tax refund coming in, but that's going to help my mother plus my dog needs insurance and flea medicine. It'd be a bit selfish to buy an Omega right now. I have to file an amendment for the last three years I went to school, and hopefully I get a couple of grand back. If I do, then I'll get one. That would leave me quite a bit of money left in my savings. If not, I'll hold off until I (god willing) find a career.

I'd be perfectly fine with a Hammie thinomatic and a Seiko OM. Fine enough where I won't look down and wish it was an Omega.

pwack

I'd be perfectly fine with a Hammie thinomatic and a Seiko OM. Fine enough where I won't look down and wish it was an Omega.

Just curious -- since you like the Seamaster so much, have you thought about a Christopher Ward C60? Style is a mix of Seamaster, Rolex Submariner, Bremont Supermarine, and original design, but very reminiscent of the Omega. New is $600 or under I think, with a great warranty (5 years?).

Buy now, flip when you can upgrade to a better Omega.

Enron

Banned
Just curious -- since you like the Seamaster so much, have you thought about a Christopher Ward C60? Style is a mix of Seamaster, Rolex Submariner, Bremont Supermarine, and original design, but very reminiscent of the Omega. New is $600 or under I think, with a great warranty (5 years?).

Buy now, flip when you can upgrade to a better Omega.

meh. Just buy you a nice enough seiko until you can afford the Omega. I wouldnt go spending 600 bucks on something like that, id spend 150 on a seiko and put the rest into the omega fund.

Well, when money is tight, I really shouldn't be buying a used Omega. I have a decent amount of tax refund coming in, but that's going to help my mother plus my dog needs insurance and flea medicine. It'd be a bit selfish to buy an Omega right now. I have to file an amendment for the last three years I went to school, and hopefully I get a couple of grand back. If I do, then I'll get one. That would leave me quite a bit of money left in my savings. If not, I'll hold off until I (god willing) find a career.

Oh, I really would not allow myself to give any advice on your financial situation, I was just saying that generally it's preferable to wait more to get to the model you really love than settling for something in between.

Edit: and in the case you prefer to buy something cheaper, I agree with Enron, go real cheap and save as much as you can for the Omega.

jwk94

Alright WatchGaf, I need your help! My sister is allergic to most metals so she doesn't usually wear watches. She's a medical student so she needs something she can keep time with. Can somebody direct me to a nice watch that suits her needs without plowing into my wallet? Keep in mind, I'm a college student =/

Have been wearing this Seiko 4R15 for a couple of yearrs now

3380162339_df491152b6_z.jpg
That's a nice watch! Any idea where I can get it?

Enron

Banned
Alright WatchGaf, I need your help! My sister is allergic to most metals so she doesn't usually wear watches. She's a medical student so she needs something she can keep time with. Can somebody direct me to a nice watch that suits her needs without plowing into my wallet? Keep in mind, I'm a college student =/

Casio digital.

Maybe something with a resin or ceramic body/bracelet? There's a lot of choices on Amazon for under $100-200.

That's a nice watch! Any idea where I can get it?

Looks like it's out of production (SRP029). It's too bad - it has a very Sinn-like look for a lot less money.

Maybe something with a resin or ceramic body/bracelet? There's a lot of choices on Amazon for under $100-200.

Looks like it's out of production (SRP029). It's too bad - it has a very Sinn-like look for a lot less money.

In the same kind of clean dial with big arabic number, I really like the lum-tec collection:

m57-05.jpg

file_16_22.jpg

Oh, man. Now I want an Aqua Terra. Very simple design, nothing flashy, elegant, yet still able to casually pull it off. Now this is on my radar, the 2503:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...erra-2503-50-black-dial-automatic-817450.html

$1650 is a great deal. He seems to also be seeling a white version, but it's slightly more expensive. Also a Stowa Antea for $550. Seller must need cash fast. God, I hope I get my other tax refund soon. I received one yesterday, but I have a feeling the watches will be gone soon.

pwack

Oh, man. Now I want an Aqua Terra. Very simple design, nothing flashy, elegant, yet still able to casually pull it off. Now this is on my radar, the 2503:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...erra-2503-50-black-dial-automatic-817450.html

$1650 is a great deal. He seems to also be seeling a white version, but it's slightly more expensive. Also a Stowa Antea for $550. Seller must need cash fast. God, I hope I get my other tax refund soon. I received one yesterday, but I have a feeling the watches will be gone soon.

Is $1650 a great deal? For example, here's a white dial on OEM leather from a far better known seller for just $50 more. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=278725. I wouldn't feel a need to rush to buy.

Also, have you looked at a teak 8500 aqua terra? About $3500 used, but man, they are nice looking.

Seems like a good deal, though not a crazy one, but the poster joined the forum in January... Not ideal.

Pwack, he already sold the white dial one on Rolexforums.

The user on WUS seems to have sold at least one watch already, but looking through his post history, he has quite a few up that nobody bought. I could post the pictures on the Omega Buster forum.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Poor Man Watch Forum can be a very good source too :)

Oh, and when you start looking at China, please consider this, it's an affordable beauty:

seagull.png

A reissue of the 1963 SeaGull pilot watch, I had one and I regret selling it...

Oh man, I want this. Around $250 US is a bit steep though. Wonder if they ship to the US. Bah.

Top Bottom