• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Jhriad

Couldn't afford a Nomos or a Stowa so I decided to risk it and buy one of the Rodina automatics. Here's hoping it turns out well.

For Skeleton, here are some 'open heart' (just a hole in the movement, not full skeletonised):

Orient Star

OrientCFH01001D0_s.jpg

Zeppelin

7360-4-2T.jpg

There is also a full skeleton by Orient, but it's around $1.6k:

images

And Pyrolume seems to do ok stuff, although I can't find any retailer:

luxeskeleton09035.jpg

I don't know any mechanical with perpetual calendar in that price range, in digital quartz I guess Casio Edifice could be a good place to start looking.

God, so many different watches to choose from. I keep flip flopping. Now I have my eye on Sinn watches.

What are your thoughts on Sinn? Sometimes I'd like to own a brand that many people don't know about since everyone owns a Rolex, Omega, or Tag.

What about the Sinn 356. that'd be the only style I'd buy from the brand.

847184d1350172818-seeking-advice-analog-watch-12-h-home-time-function-sinn-356utc_08.jpg

And then the Sinn UX, which I prefer over the 356:

test-sinn-ux-ezm-2b-in-ihrem-element-onchrono.jpg

This is the auto version, not the quartz.

Hey, Sinn and Omega were my first recommendation when you started talking about the Tag Heuer :)

I really beleive Sinn watches are a fantastic choice in this price range, maybe the best.

The mix of strong and relevant history, recent innovation (Gas filled cases to improve readability under any angle), and consistent design makes Sinn a very respectable brand.

That said, I would question the UX choice given your past posts, it's a 44mm watch, quite bulky, and it wears even larger, not sure.

The 356 though is perfect, less than 39mm, it's quite thick, but it seems less than it really is.

I have to refrain from buying new watches every months :), but I know that the next after I receive the Panomaticlunar from GO will be this (103 Klassik Limited ed.):

sinn103klassik.jpg

Maiar_m

Oh god and one of you had to mention the Casio Edifice. And I HAD to look them up.

eqw-a1110dc-1a.jpg

I need to start saving, too many watches to buy damn it.

Hey, Sinn and Omega were my first recommendation when you started talking about the Tag Heuer :)

I really beleive Sinn watches are a fantastic choice in this price range, maybe the best.

The mix of strong and relevant history, recent innovation (Gas filled cases to improve readability under any angle), and consistent design makes Sinn a very respectable brand.

That said, I would question the UX choice given your past posts, it's a 44mm watch, quite bulky, and it wears even larger, not sure.

The 356 though is perfect, less than 39mm, it's quite thick, but it seems less than it really is.

I have to refrain from buying new watches every months :), but I know that the next after I receive the Panomaticlunar from GO will be this (103 Klassik Limited ed.):

sinn103klassik.jpg

That is a very nice looking watch... I am going to do some reading about this brand. Looks very interesting.

I tried on a co-worker's watch that's quite large. Probably around 44-45mm case diameter, and although the lugs were wrapping around my wrists, it didn't look that bad, especially when my arm was at a right angle.

The U200 is 37mm, which looks a bit like the UX. I may opt towards that if I can find a used one.

SinnU200_zps0f3dcbfa-1_zps14342391.jpg

Yeah, could be either the U200 or the Flieger. Hopefully I can find one used for the U200, cuz those aren't cheap watches. Would like to find one around $1600.

EDIT-GODDAMN Sinn watches are expensive. I thought I saw a 356 on leather strap new for around $1600 on some site. I'd like the metal band since I love Sinn's bands. Are there any sites selling Sinn watches besides watchbuy.com? If not, then I'm definately gonna buy used.

I found this site, but they don't have any Sinn watches in stock, lol:

http://www.sinnwatches.com/products.php?cat=3

Just over $1400 for the 356 on metal band.

EDITx2-Chronomasters.uk is selling it for over $1600 american for the 356, but it's leather strap.

I tried on a co-worker's watch that's quite large. Probably around 44-45mm case diameter, and although the lugs were wrapping around my wrists, it didn't look that bad, especially when my arm was at a right angle.

The U200 is 37mm, which looks a bit like the UX. I may opt towards that if I can find a used one.

SinnU200_zps0f3dcbfa-1_zps14342391.jpg

Yeah, could be either the U200 or the Flieger. Hopefully I can find one used for the U200, cuz those aren't cheap watches. Would like to find one around $1600.

EDIT-GODDAMN Sinn watches are expensive. I thought I saw a 356 on leather strap new for around $1600 on some site. I'd like the metal band since I love Sinn's bands. Are there any sites selling Sinn watches besides watchbuy.com? If not, then I'm definately gonna buy used.

I found this site, but they don't have any Sinn watches in stock, lol:

http://www.sinnwatches.com/products.php?cat=3

Just over $1400 for the 356 on metal band.

EDITx2-Chronomasters.uk is selling it for over $1600 american for the 356, but it's leather strap.

Only watchbuy.com is an authorized retailer for new Sinn watches in North America, but Watchuseek and ebay are filled with second hand, U200 actually shows up quite often.

And no, given their R&D investment and overall finish, they are not expensive :):)

Edit: also try chrono 24 for second hand.

I meant expensive as in prices going up to $4,000-$6,000. They don't consider themselves luxury, but just expensive.

I may still decide on the AT 2503. $1650 is a good deal, as long as it's legit seller:

atracingstrapmockupsmal.jpg

I like that band.

What about the Sinn EZM 3? Do you like it?

ezm3_1.jpg

Which would you choose between 356, EZM3, and AT 2503?

This person is selling a EZM3 for under $1300 BUT he says there's a tiny ding on the crystal near the 1 mark:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sinn-ezm-3-bracelet-816329.html

Great price, but I dunno about the ding mark.

I don't like the 'Flieger' on the 356. I do like the look of the other (the U200 is even better tbh) but the Omega is all elegance. Of the 3 I'd pick that one.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The UX and the EZM3 are both great watches. The UX has a way bigger and heavier case, thus much more wrist presence than the EZM 3 which is more or less Submariner-sized. Here's a size comparison pic:

smallP1040029.jpg

Cool pics. I like the flieger. Not a big fan of chronos and never use the functions, but the 356 is an exception. Would've purchased the EZM3 from link I posted, but the ding on the crystal is an instant no buy. Nice looking look from the YT videos I've seen, too.

Chromax

I think I have a new dream watch...

Roger Dubuis's Excalibur Table Ronde

It actually have the 12 knights around the round table!

Roger-Dubuis-Excalibur-Table-Ronde-Watch.jpg

I think I have a new dream watch...

Roger Dubuis's Excalibur Table Ronde

It actually have the 12 knights around the round table!

Roger-Dubuis-Excalibur-Table-Ronde-Watch.jpg

Maybe one day Roger Dubuis will do a normal watch that does not try to be something else... His tourbillon models are mechanical masterpieces, but I can't read the time on it - too much stuff... In the 'tourbillon/skeleton/crazy priced' category I prefer Richard Mille myself.

But since it's the subject, here is my grail - A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk, digital dial, yet mechanic movement:

a-lange-sohne-zeitwerk-rose-gold.jpg

And the movement:

a-lange-sohne-zeitwerk-striking-time-caliber-l043-2-movement.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Maybe one day Roger Dubuis will do a normal watch that does not try to be something else... His tourbillon models are mechanical masterpieces, but I can't read the time on it - too much stuff... In the 'tourbillon/skeleton/crazy priced' category I prefer Richard Mille myself.

But since it's the subject, here is my grail - A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk, digital dial, yet mechanic movement:

a-lange-sohne-zeitwerk-rose-gold.jpg

And the movement:

a-lange-sohne-zeitwerk-striking-time-caliber-l043-2-movement.jpg

Great choice, the zeitwerk is my grail as well.

After thinking a bit, I'm going to hold off spending thousands of dollars on a watch. I'm going to be applying for a job with federal law enforcement agency in DC, so I'm going to need to save as much money as I can to take the trips from FL to DC.

I do want a new automatic watch, though it'll be between $400-$500. Right now, it's either the Tissot Le Locle or the Hamilton Viewmatic:

REO5.jpg

901539d1355202918-review-hamilton-viewmatic-auto-37mm-img_7136-copy.jpg

Just wanted opinions from those two watches. I'm going to take a drive to jewlry shop on Monday. They sell Hammies, and I think Tissot, too.

Leaning towards the tissot only because the lug to lug length is shorter. The Viewmatic is 50mm L2L.

The cons to the Tissot Le Locle is that I don't like the polished look too much.

Stasis

My wonderful wife got me something I have long wanted for my 30th birthday- a Movado watch. It's the Museum Classic:

31zHfrMbRzL._AA280_.jpg

I don't wear watches. I like watches, which is why I'm up in here checking 'em out, but I don't wear them because I have small wrists and the watches I like tend to look out of place. I also am just not used to a "presence" on my wrist, so it irks me quickly and I take them off. I'm more of a small leather bracelet kinda guy.

That said, there's one watch I've always wanted and that's pretty much exactly what you just got. My dad has a bunch of Movados, and it's basically all he's ever worn. He's not a big watch guy either, and he's always said that it's one of the few he could wear. He loves them. I guess that rubbed off on me. Grats! It looks great. It's on my list of accessories to buy sooner or later, so hopefully I'll receive that as a gift from my gf at some point too =)

Just wanted opinions from those two watches. I'm going to take a drive to jewlry shop on Monday. They sell Hammies, and I think Tissot, too.

Leaning towards the tissot only because the lug to lug length is shorter. The Viewmatic is 50mm L2L.

The cons to the Tissot Le Locle is that I don't like the polished look too much.

Not a big fan of the Hamilton, a bit old fashioned, the Tissot is very Blancpain-esque, which is not a bad thing.

But if you want to get the best out of your budget I'd suggest ordering something online, you are likely to less than in a jewelry in Florida :)

Why not order a cheaper Orient and save money for now? They have a nice $210 model which features second hand and date as the ones you like:

9.png

Aske

Surprised the Tissot is getting so much love - the Hamilton strikes me as objectively superior. The quality of the dial's finish looks several grades above the Tissot: every detail is crisper and more refined. I also prefer the Hamilton's case shape, and share your preference for the brushed finish over the Tissot's polish. If they're comparably priced, I think you're getting a great deal more watch for the money with the Hamilton.

I feel for you on the Omega issue. Someday I plan to own a Speedmaster 9300, but I won't be dropping ~$7000 on one any time soon! I'll probably pick up a nice Valjoux chrono in the meantime.

After thinking a bit, I'm going to hold off spending thousands of dollars on a watch. I'm going to be applying for a job with federal law enforcement agency in DC, so I'm going to need to save as much money as I can to take the trips from FL to DC.

I do want a new automatic watch, though it'll be between $400-$500. Right now, it's either the Tissot Le Locle or the Hamilton Viewmatic:

REO5.jpg

901539d1355202918-review-hamilton-viewmatic-auto-37mm-img_7136-copy.jpg

Wait, wouldn't your job be picking up the tab for travel? That's how it usually is in my field. All business-related travel is paid for by work.

As for the two watches, I own the black version of the Hamilton Viewmatic and I can tell you it's a very solid and sturdy feeling watch. I like that it looks a little old-fashioned compared to the Tissot. Not sure if you care, but it looks like there are no lumens on the hands of the Tissot, so visibility might be more difficult in low-light situations than the Hamilton.

If you like a lighter watch weight-wise, I'd go with the Tissot. My husband has a comparable Tissot and it definitely feels lighter than my Hamilton.

US Capitol Hill Police don't pay for expenses unfortunately.

As for Hamilton, Yeah, I'm torn so I'll go buy the AD and try on both. Just worried about the lug to lug being 50mm on the Hammie.

Hamilton's history is rich. They were considered the biggest threat to Swiss watch companies back in the day. Were very expensive back if you adjusted for inflation. Then they fell hard. I mean it's nice SWATCH bailed them out, because SWATCH knew they were a great watch company that made many affordable, great quality watches.

And I'm gonna buy online. I just want to look at them in person.

EDIT-Damn you Orient for making nice watches:

3.png

922607d1357169397-orient-sun-moon-anyone-et0p003w-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357169383.399806.jpg

002-4.jpg

Maybe I can buy both since they're very affordable, lol.

OH MY GOD I just discovered this beauty:

SARC019:

http://yeomanseiko.com/2012/09/02/seiko-mechanical-sarc019/#more-4401

sarc019_2.jpg

sarc019_side1.jpg

sarc019_back.jpg