• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Jason has a watch! We can all get back to our normal lives now :)

Congrats Jason, not my personal favorite, but a very nice watch indeed, take care of it!

I am just told my GO Panomaticlunar would arrive at the end of April, and not March cause they have to 'create the watch and the movement from scratch as they don't have any stock'. It's both very exciting to imagine those people actually making this watch just for me, but also boring to have to wait more.

I'll share pics when it arrived.

Enron

Banned
4588409314_a2d379deaf_z.jpg

I honestly think I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a watch after owning this Hammie. Anything under a grand I'm happy with, and plus, there's a large selection of quality watches in that price range.

Famous last words. You'll fall in love with something soon enough!

pwack

OK fine folks of WatchGAF -- I am going to the beach in a week and want a new watch. Nothing crazy expensive, but bright and fun diver. Which of the below should I go with:

Seiko 009, a reference to the classic Pepsi bezel on Rolex GMTs:
skx_175_ed_rader.jpg

or a new Seiko orange monster; a much better movement, but a pretty different style:
seiko-divers-mens-orange-monster-srp309k1-srp309.jpg

I'm leaning to the 009, but not certain.

OK fine folks of WatchGAF -- I am going to the beach in a week and want a new watch. Nothing crazy expensive, but bright and fun diver. Which of the below should I go with:

Seiko 009, a reference to the classic Pepsi bezel on Rolex GMTs:
skx_175_ed_rader.jpg

or a new Seiko orange monster; a much better movement, but a pretty different style:
seiko-divers-mens-orange-monster-srp309k1-srp309.jpg

I'm leaning to the 009, but not certain.

Both are excellent choices, it depends on the use after the beach: while the Monster is a 'classic' in its own way, it's also not that versatile - with bright colors it might just be a bit 'too much' - whereas the classic black dial/pepsi bezel will fit with pretty much anything.
On the other hand, the 46mm of the 009 could be an issue too...

But may I propose a 3rd choice?

SKX011J1, jomashop is running a special on it right now at around $200, it's a bit smaller than the Monster, and a lot smaller than the 009, which could make it a bit more versatile after. It is also equiped with the 7S26 from the 009 though.

jomashop_2249_703067658

The Monster should have a great bracelet on it. The movement is better but according to people on this and other forums, accuracy isn't that different compared to the old one. Which is the same as in the 009 and 007.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Saw a nice looking Seiko on Amazon for under $80 and decided to pick it up. First time I've owned a automatic watch. I get pretty mesmerized watching the movements on the back and the sweeping second hand.

imK9NRg1BmNCO.jpg

idku44ggtWKYS.jpg

ib252gOZ1bEUJX.jpg

My only complaint so far is the face is smaller then I anticipated. I will probably go for a larger watch next time.

iamblades

Saw a nice looking Seiko on Amazon for under $80 and decided to pick it up. First time I've owned a automatic watch. I get pretty mesmerized watching the movements on the back and the sweeping second hand.

imK9NRg1BmNCO.jpg

idku44ggtWKYS.jpg

ib252gOZ1bEUJX.jpg

My only complaint so far is the face is smaller then I anticipated. I will probably go for a larger watch next time.

Seiko 5's are the greatest bargain in mechanical watches basically. I'm tempted to get one for every day of the week just because. :p

I saw a black monster in person and it's pretty damn amazing. Some guy had it on a rubber or leather strap. Couldn't tell. It looked thinner than I'd imagine, but the domed crystal made the watch look beautiful.

r1chard

imK9NRg1BmNCO.jpg

idku44ggtWKYS.jpg

ib252gOZ1bEUJX.jpg

Thanks for posting this, BTW, it reminded me to post :)

This watch has popped up on this thread before and I ended up picking one up from a Singapore website for about what Amazon sell it for (but don't ship to Australia, screw 'em) and I love the watch.

Perfect size, great design.

Love those Seiko 5's. Not a fan of the logo though but it's a bang for buck auto.

IMPRESSIVE!

But the circle on the seconds hand is a bit misleading, you have to take its symmetrical point using the center of the dial right?

But I guess nobody cares about the seconds, it's used as a chronograph at night and it works perfectly as such.

Yeah it's something I noticed right away. Luckily I'm not that anal about the seconds.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Seiko lume is indeed magnificent and within the best of class in any price range.
The maddest lume I ever owned was on an Orient, though:
smallP1020152.jpg

yes, that is at daylight.

Chinner

Banned

imK9NRg1BmNCO.jpg

idku44ggtWKYS.jpg

ib252gOZ1bEUJX.jpg

might get one of these. look very nice.

Exactly what I was looking for... And ordered. Thanks.

imK9NRg1BmNCO.jpg

idku44ggtWKYS.jpg

ib252gOZ1bEUJX.jpg

pwack

Ah heck! So, my new Orange Monster should hit my desk later this afternoon; my plan was to run out, have it sized, then enjoy it next week on the beach and thereafter.

One problem -- while habitually checking WatchRecon, I saw pictures of a Benarus bronze Moray with a very beuatiful patina, and, for the first time, understood why people are into these bronze watches. I mean, check out how awesome this looks (albeit with modded hands).

moray06_zps075e9030.jpg

moray08_zps8c818abb.jpg

So now I'm torn. Once the OM actually makes it to my office, I'll have to decide if its worth keeping, or whether I should return it and go for a Moray. There is a 5x price difference, and either or both fit in my budget, so its not like keeping (or even flipping) the OM will make a huge difference. But there is also no point in keeping the OM if it is going to be overshadowed by another new watch; as it is, I am trying to narrow down my collection, not expand it. Hence, my dilemma.

Anyways -- any thoughts on bronze?

Kraftwerk

Looking for a watch similar to this;

The Sentry Leather

6kJGAgs.jpg

Looked everywhere, this color seems to be sold out. I just want something minimalist with a brown leather strap and white face.

Budget is $200-$300. Willing to spend a little bit more if it is right.

Chinner

Banned
Looking for a watch similar to this;

The Sentry Leather

6kJGAgs.jpg

Looked everywhere, this color seems to be sold out. I just want something minimalist with a brown leather strap and white face.

Budget is $200-$300. Willing to spend a little bit more if it is right.
really like this watch actually.

pwack

Ah heck! So, my new Orange Monster should hit my desk later this afternoon; my plan was to run out, have it sized, then enjoy it next week on the beach and thereafter.

One problem -- while habitually checking WatchRecon, I saw pictures of a Benarus bronze Moray with a very beuatiful patina, and, for the first time, understood why people are into these bronze watches. I mean, check out how awesome this looks (albeit with modded hands).

So now I'm torn. Once the OM actually makes it to my office, I'll have to decide if its worth keeping, or whether I should return it and go for a Moray. There is a 5x price difference, and either or both fit in my budget, so its not like keeping (or even flipping) the OM will make a huge difference. But there is also no point in keeping the OM if it is going to be overshadowed by another new watch; as it is, I am trying to narrow down my collection, not expand it. Hence, my dilemma.

Anyways -- any thoughts on bronze?

Returned the OM, ordered a new bronze Benarus! V. excited.

Brera

Banned
Invicta make well made watches for the money.

When I say Money, I mean in the £50-200 range. Those RRP are made up!

I don't know how to wind my Hamilton Viewmatic. It says nothing in the manuel, too. I turn the crown on direction and it's hard to turn, and makes this weird sand paper-like noise. I rotate it counter clockwise, and it's smooth making clicking noise.

Either way, I'd assume turning it in either direction would start the watch, correct?

Gaf, what do you think about Invicta?

I´ve seen that this brand has some crazy offers in Amazon UK but i know nothing about them :$

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00962H4C0/

All of the offers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encodin...lias=aps&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=e550d

Thanks guys.

Edit. Ok, it seems to be some shit according to the reviews i´m seeying in the net.

Invicta in general:

Ok, so there is the watch snob usual attitude which is pretty much 'stay away from'.
They are big, the model you link is a 45mm this is HUGE, they advertise themselves as top of the line when they are not, and they are all about showing off... No relevant history...

And there is the rational opinion, they make pretty inexpensive mecanical in the sub 500 price range.

Personnally I really don't like the derivative and bigger design.

The amazon links:

Those RRP are not made up, but they don't mean anything when the Invicta brand is alway on sale somewhere (if not on amazon, they will be at jomashop...), making the 80 bucks price here effectively the normal resale price.
The model you link is a quartz, not ideal for us watch lovers, and not the brand strength.

If you like sporty and have a hundred to spare I would advise to look at this thread recent pages which are full of good recommendations, Seiko, Orient, Tissot... They all are better choice than Invicta in my opinion, but again, the brand has its strength, that's why it sells :)

I don't know how to wind my Hamilton Viewmatic. It says nothing in the manuel, too. I turn the crown on direction and it's hard to turn, and makes this weird sand paper-like noise. I rotate it counter clockwise, and it's smooth making clicking noise.

Either way, I'd assume turning it in either direction would start the watch, correct?

So, the Viewmatic is an auto, so in general it's preferable to limit the hand winding to an minimum, as the movement is not really conceived toward handwinding.

If you turn it up, I mean clockwise, it will make a grainy sound and wind the watch, in the other way you will just use a part each time you ear a clic (it's basically the security for you not to overwind your watch). Both can be an issue on the long term, just keep it wounded with your wrist and you'll be fine :)

nitewulf

what's a decently priced automatic i could buy that has a perpetual calendar, i mean month, day, and date? or at least month, date?

Kraftwerk

I need to find a Bauhaus style watch in the $400 range.

Here is an example;

2991121383_ebf155ddef.jpg

All the Stowa watches are $600+ and have a wait time of months. I'll keep looking, and if I don't find anything I guess I will just save up and wait.

Here is an example;

All the Stowa watches are $600+ and have a wait time of months. I'll keep looking, and if I don't find anything I guess I will just save up and wait.

Rodina is your choice.

NEEEEEEEEED

what's a decently priced automatic i could buy that has a perpetual calendar, i mean month, day, and date? or at least month, date?

Does it exist?? From my humble knowledge automatic with perpetual calendar are always expensive...

Muddimar

So I've been lurking on this thread for a while, checking out the different styles. For Christmas my wife bought me a Movado (84 G2 1855), I can't post any pictures at the moment because I'm at work. I'm already hooked and have started looking for my next purchase. I guess a lot of people hate Movado? Is there something terrible about them I'm unaware of? Thoughts?

So I've been lurking on this thread for a while, checking out the different styles. For Christmas my wife bought me a Movado (84 G2 1855), I can't post any pictures at the moment because I'm at work. I'm already hooked and have started looking for my next purchase. I guess a lot of people hate Movado? Is there something terrible about them I'm unaware of? Thoughts?

Another victim of the watch virus... :)

Movado is a once respected brand that lost a bit of his luster since the 80s and their acquisition.

The design you have (black dial, with a white 'sun' at 12) dates back to 1947, invented by Orwitt from the Bauhaus school, and is considered a classic today.

until the 70s Movado was a well respected brand with lots of meaning, but in the 80s they decided to go mainstream and compete more with the Seikos of this world, than with Rolex as it once did, they also did not bring anything relevant on the table to the horology industry in the past 30 years.

That said they have a clean and recognizable design, which is key in the watch world, they date back to the 19th century, and they are usually priced ok, so, why not?

I just purchased the black band. Should be here on Friday, much excite!

I now have three watches to my name. I can't wait until I actually have enough disposable income to make some larger purchases. Granted, being in school will prevent that for some time, but for now Seiko and Skagen watches are right up my alley.

nitewulf

Does it exist?? From my humble knowledge automatic with perpetual calendar are always expensive...
ok, basically what i am looking for is something that will accurately keep track of the months? do most watches with the dates do that? what happens after the 30th day of a given month?

if thats perpetual movement and thats why they are so expensive, then i dont require that right now. something that looks like this will do. but this one is about 43.5mm in size, i need something smaller...say 38mm - 40mm.

6069DD-c1.jpg

Here is an example;

While the face looks great I think the lugs look too stalk-like on that watch. I guess it depends on your wrist how the watch presents itself.

Top Bottom