• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Got one of these in the mail last week. Great price for the watch honestly. I'm curious to see what the new white dial will look like on the new version in the next few weeks. I might have to double dip on a second one if it looks good.

Whats the quality on one of these? Thinking about getting one

Look into Bernhardt watches. Amazing quality and they're cheap. If I had to choose a dive watch under $300, it'd be the Sea Shark. It also has sapphire crystal.

That or the Binnacle Anchor may be my next purchase in the future.

4426917649_5a476ece96_o.jpg

ok, basically what i am looking for is something that will accurately keep track of the months? do most watches with the dates do that? what happens after the 30th day of a given month?

if thats perpetual movement and thats why they are so expensive, then i dont require that right now. something that looks like this will do. but this one is about 43.5mm in size, i need something smaller...say 38mm - 40mm.

6069DD-c1.jpg

You will have to adjust your watch every other month. Let me propose the 40mm Orient Union:

ev0s004b.jpg

Muddimar

Another victim of the watch virus... :)

Movado is a once respected brand that lost a bit of his luster since the 80s and their acquisition.

The design you have (black dial, with a white 'sun' at 12) dates back to 1947, invented by Orwitt from the Bauhaus school, and is considered a classic today.

until the 70s Movado was a well respected brand with lots of meaning, but in the 80s they decided to go mainstream and compete more with the Seikos of this world, than with Rolex as it once did, they also did not bring anything relevant on the table to the horology industry in the past 30 years.

That said they have a clean and recognizable design, which is key in the watch world, they date back to the 19th century, and they are usually priced ok, so, why not?

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations for a more casual watch around 2-$300 range? I'm looking for something with maybe a leather band or even plastic if it has the right look.

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations for a more casual watch around 2-$300 range? I'm looking for something with maybe a leather band or even plastic if it has the right look.

Always hard without much info on the genre (sporty, dressy, everyday...), but I guess I can start on 'casual', how about a IWC Portuguese Hommage from Parnis?

e644d989_483649d1312216375-design-1000-dollar-watch-collection-parnis-800x533.jpg

They are a bit big (43mm), but based on a timeless design, one of my favorite tbh, and are unbeatable when it comes to quality/price.

You can find it here. For not even a third of your budget :)

oh god, why are nomos watches so expensive.

All of those are fine choices.

Nomos is special, they are based in Glashutte and share the town with Lange and Glashutte Original, 2 monsters in the horological industry, unlike Tag/Longines in the same price range they have in-house movements since 2005 (big deal, and the reason for the price), and they have a great dial design which has been covered with awards.

Orient and Stowa, and other ETA/Myota movements based brands are fine watches, no question, but Nomos is just another league. And if you ask me, they could ask for a LOT more than they actually do and still be credible.

BrettWeir

Ordered a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black with ceramic bezel last month. Came in today. Absolutely love this homage:

1008036d1363269635-show-your-steinhart-part-3-itud903hnpvzw.jpg

Next to my 1961 Rolex GMT Master:
1008023d1363269355-show-your-steinhart-part-3-ib0ozre6dg9mb5.jpg

Jhriad

Whats the quality on one of these? Thinking about getting one

For the price? Very good. Obviously I haven't had it long so I can't say much about how reliable it will be long term but so far I'm loving it. If you're looking for some more opinions, particularly from folks more educated in this stuff, there's a 27 page thread over on Watchuseek.

I'm secretly hoping that the alternate white face they're putting out will be an imitation of a Stowa rather than Nomos like the existing one.

Blu10

Anyone have any suggestions for an automatic watch with a world time feature. Looking for something with as plain a face as possible, dressy ( wear it to work, not the river), leather band, and on a $1,000 budget, for someone with a small wrist.

Anyone have any suggestions for an automatic watch with a world time feature. Looking for something with as plain a face as possible, dressy ( wear it to work, not the river), leather band, and on a $1,000 budget, for someone with a small wrist.

If not for the budget, the Nomos Weltzeit is the perfect choice (and more).

1000w

If budget is an absolute constraint, then Citizen Eco Drive World Perpetual?

281760809_MV_ZM.jpg

Here for half your budget.

StMeph

Nomos is special, they are based in Glashutte and share the town with Lange and Glashutte Original, 2 monsters in the horological industry, unlike Tag/Longines in the same price range they have in-house movements since 2005 (big deal, and the reason for the price), and they have a great dial design which has been covered with awards.

Orient and Stowa, and other ETA/Myota movements based brands are fine watches, no question, but Nomos is just another league. And if you ask me, they could ask for a LOT more than they actually do and still be credible.

Nomos is definitely next on my list.

And then hopefully a Dornbluth after that.

I'm not sure why I'm on a German binge.

Blu10

If not for the budget, the Nomos Weltzeit is the perfect choice (and more).

1000w

Wow that is perfect... Outside of the price. Not sure I can justify that purchase.

I'm not sure that citizen is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll continue looking, and maybe talking myself into that Nomos.

nib95

Banned
oh no, i am not a user by any means, yet...

Oh I see lol. Well, yet is the important bit. I must say, there are several Maurice Lacroix pieces I think look stunning that are far more affordable than some of the Tag's, Rolex's and Omega's I've seen about. Like with a lot of things, there seems to be a tremendous gulf in pricing depending on the design and movement.

I have a Maurice Lacroix brochure and there's quite a difference between the different movements they do. Also, If you don't mind second hand watches, you can get some killer deals about.

Absolutely glorious. I salute you sir!

Thank you kind Sir :)

StMeph

I am a Sinn/Glashutte Original/Lange/Nomos/Dornbluth guy too it seems... German watchmaking FTW!

The only absurd part about Nomos is their US pricing.

Prices in Europe include VAT, which is a 19% tax. Even if you take THAT price and run it through a currency exchange, the USD price is STILL hundreds higher. It's crazy.

Apparently the way to get a Nomos is to look for UK/German sellers, get them to take off VAT, and ship to the US for you. Ends up being a much, much more reasonable price.

The only absurd part about Nomos is their US pricing.

Prices in Europe include VAT, which is a 19% tax. Even if you take THAT price and run it through a currency exchange, the USD price is STILL hundreds higher. It's crazy.

Apparently the way to get a Nomos is to look for UK/German sellers, get them to take off VAT, and ship to the US for you. Ends up being a much, much more reasonable price.

FYI, watchbuy prices include all taxes, except if you live in north carolina. I have 2 friends who ordered from them (NY and SFO), and they were not charged a dollar more than the actual price. It would be different for Canada though.

Now, just for fun, let's take the Weltzeit:

WatchBuy: $5700
NOMOS Store: 4080 euros, which is $5440.

If you consider that taxes are roughly 18.7% in UE for luxury goods and roughly 17% in North America, this gets to 0 (basically, if you could order from UE, you would pay it without the UE taxes, as for Stowas, but then would pay the US tax when receiving the package, 'pretty much' getting to the same price). Now, let's not forget duties, pretty much 5% additional on watches, which means $272, surprise, 5440+272 = $5712.

Are you sure the prices are that crazy? :)

StMeph

FYI, watchbuy prices include all taxes, except if you live in north carolina. I have 2 friends who ordered from them (NY and SFO), and they were not charged a dollar more than the actual price. It would be different for Canada though.

Now, just for fun, let's take the Weltzeit:

WatchBuy: $5700
NOMOS Store: 4080 euros, which is $5440.

If you consider that taxes are roughly 18.7% in UE for luxury goods and roughly 17% in North America, this gets to 0 (basically, if you could order from UE, you would pay it without the UE taxes, as for Stowas, but then would pay the US tax when receiving the package, 'pretty much' getting to the same price). Now, let's not forget duties, pretty much 5% additional on watches, which means $272, surprise, 5440+272 = $5712.

Are you sure the prices are that crazy? :)

Yes.

When I ordered the Stowa, I was able to buy it without VAT. There were customs duties to pay, but no other taxes; the customs duty is the tax. FedEx covered it first, then billed me for it after receiving the package. Because I ordered croco straps, there was an additional customs duty levied for those. But no sales tax. And everything was done as a sale internationally with correct papers. No attempts to avoid paying any fees.

The amount in customs I had to pay for the watch? $13.

19% matters a lot when we're talking about thousands of dollars for the original price. And then for some inexplicable reason there's another $250 surcharge in addition to VAT. That seems like a substantial difference to me, for what is the exact same product.

Yes.

When I ordered the Stowa, I was able to buy it without VAT. There were customs duties to pay, but no other taxes; the customs duty is the tax. FedEx covered it first, then billed me for it after receiving the package. Because I ordered croco straps, there was an additional customs duty levied for those. But no sales tax. And everything was done as a sale internationally with correct papers. No attempts to avoid paying any fees.

The amount in customs I had to pay for the watch? $13.

19% matters a lot when we're talking about thousands of dollars for the original price. And then for some inexplicable reason there's another $250 surcharge in addition to VAT. That seems like a substantial difference to me, for what is the exact same product.

Ok, but technically you SHOULD have paid duties + taxes for your Stowa. You were lucky :)

Is that true? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else before when discussing international purchases.

Oh yes, taxes are required on ALL purchases when you are the end user (VS an investment from a company, which will modify the product to resale it), but are only payable to the country of which you are a citizen. That explains how you can get the VAT back on purchases abroad, and also ask for a non VAT purchase online. That does not mean that you are above taxes at all, you are a normal citizen, and countries are not ok with you not paying any taxes :)

The only exception is a tax/duty free shop in an international space.

That said, at the end of the day this is just luck and nothing else. You will find people in all situations (never paid anything, paid twice, paid duties and not taxes...), that does not mean it's the rule though :)

pwack

Oh yes, taxes are required on ALL purchases when you are the end user (VS an investment from a company, which will modify the product to resale it), but are only payable to the country of which you are a citizen. That explains how you can get the VAT back on purchases abroad, and also ask for a non VAT purchase online. That does not mean that you are above taxes at all, you are a normal citizen, and countries are not ok with you not paying any taxes :)

The only exception is a tax/duty free shop in an international space.

I think you are confusing taxes and duties (or perhaps not considering this from the perspective of a non-EU resident). Check out this, which is taken from what looks to be the UK's revenue service, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/exports/goods.htm:

VAT is a tax charged on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, VAT isn't charged. You can zero-rate the sale, provided you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other laws. You must also make sure the goods are exported, and you must get the evidence, within three months from the time of sale. This can be longer for goods that need processing before export and for thoroughbred racehorses.
The time of sale is the earlier of:
the day you send the goods to your customer
the day you receive full payment for them (if earlier)
You mustn't zero-rate sales if your customer asks for them to be delivered to a UK address. If the customer arranges to collect them from you - an indirect export - you may be able to zero-rate the sale as long as certain conditions are met.

On a different note: here's my new bronze watch. I like it so far, but am not 100% sold. I should decide soon in case I want a return. Although the decision is somewhat odd, since the allure of bronze is how it ages. Regardless -- opinions?
1008433d1363291198-another-new-bronze-guy-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363291203.021090.jpg

1008435d1363291227-another-new-bronze-guy-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363291232.404264.jpg

I think you are confusing taxes and duties.

I am not sure what you mean but I know the difference between both. And taxes are always required for end users... So...

For the Benarus, it's definitely original and has a great standout. Too big and Hublot-esque for me, but that's pure personnal taste.

Check out this, which is taken from what looks to be the UK's revenue service, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/exports/goods.htm:

What it says here is 'you don't need to pay VAT if you are not a EU resident/citizen' which is one of my point, it never says it's ok not to pay the taxes of your country though...

pwack

I am not sure what you mean but I know the difference between both. And taxes are always required for end users... So...

Check out my edit above. Taxes are not always required for purchasers. For example, online sales in the US were traditionally tax free, although that is going away. And now I guess I am supposed to put something on my 1040, aren't I?

Anyways, US import tax, if it applies, has gotta be less than VAT, right?

Check out my edit above. Taxes are not always required for purchasers. For example, online sales in the US were traditionally tax free, although that is going away.

The edit ist just stating what we all know: if exported, a good is not subject to the EU VAT. But obviously it does not mean one doesn't pay ANY tax on those, it's just not VAT, it's the local tax.

And I am not sure about your 'tax less online purchase', can you enlighten me?

edit: US taxes + duties are more than 18.7% (although not much, usually around 20%). US taxes alone are a bit less though.

pwack

The edit ist just stating what we all know: if exported, a good is not subject to the EU VAT. But obviously it does not mean one doesn't pay ANY tax on those, it's just not VAT, it's the local tax.

And I am not sure about your 'tax less online purchase', can you enlighten me?

edit: US taxes + duties are more than 18.7% (although not much, usually around 20%). US taxes alone are a bit less though.

Hate to derail what is clearly the most important thread on GAF into a tax analysis, but nonetheless:

1. As for tax free online shopping -- that's one of the major selling points for online shopping, like Amazon and Newegg, Check out http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/11/24/you-can-still-escape-sales-tax-online/ or http://www.sba.gov/content/collecting-sales-tax-over-internet or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

2. Not sure what you mean by "local tax" or "US Taxes." There is no federal sales tax, and states (for me, Illinois) don't collect sales tax on anything bought outside the state and delivered to me if the seller doesn't have a "nexus" (generally understood to mean a physical presence) with the state itself.

Edit -- not to mention some states have no sales tax on prepared goods.

Hate to derail what is clearly the most important thread on GAF into a tax analysis, but nonetheless:

1. As for tax free online shopping -- that's one of the major selling points for online shopping, like Amazon and Newegg, Check out http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/11/24/you-can-still-escape-sales-tax-online/ or http://www.sba.gov/content/collecting-sales-tax-over-internet or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

2. Not sure what you mean by "local tax" or "US Taxes." There is no federal sales tax, and states (for me, Illinois) don't collect sales tax on anything bought outside the state and delivered to me if the seller doesn't have a "nexus" (generally understood to mean a physical presence) with the state itself.

Edit -- not to mention some states have no sales tax on prepared goods.

Will continue in PM, you are right about this being the most important and sublime thread of Gaf. To try and redeem myself, here is a pic from the new Hermes/JLC desk watch, only $40k.

Atmos-Hermes.jpg

My father recently bought a watch that I think is quite nice. It looks sophisticated and provides tons of information while looking very clean.

I'm currently wearing this, I have it in Black.

GAF, i need you help:
I'm going to Chennai, South India for 6 weeks for work, what timepiece should i bring?
I'd like to limit myself to 2
P1010813.jpg

The Steinhart ocent GMT is on the list because the GMT function of the ETA 2893-2 will be useful even if not as elegant as a true GMT movement you can get on a Rolex GMT or a IWC ZTC and the Zenith is staying home because it's a family watch.

pwack

Hey now, I am also interested in this part of the discussion.

But to pwack: I want to echo the earlier thought that the watch is a standout. It does have a unique look for a diver. What are you undecided about?

Not sure there is anything I don't like, it just hasn't fully "clicked" with me yet.

My father recently bought a watch that I think is quite nice. It looks sophisticated and provides tons of information while looking very clean.

Those are OK, I guess. I mean, if you like that sort of super-high end, incredibly fabulous watch thing they have going on.

GAF, i need you help:
I'm going to Chennai, South India for 6 weeks for work, what timepiece should i bring?
I'd like to limit myself to 2

The Steinhart ocent GMT is on the list because the GMT function of the ETA 2893-2 will be useful even if not as elegant as a true GMT movement you can get on a Rolex GMT or a IWC ZTC and the Zenith is staying home because it's a family watch.

I think the real answer is you need a new watch. :)

Your pseudo is most definitely deserved. Your father's Lange is just an absolute perfection. And your VC is superb too. Congrats.

edit: Possible to post some wrist pics?
edit2: Pwack is right though, a bit of (not so) stealth brag :), but hey, I am into this high end stuff too :p

GAF, i need you help:

If that means office work in a suit the day, and crazy drinks at night, I guess something a bit versatile like the Steinhart.

StMeph

stmeph, how long did your stowa take to deliver?

Beginning to end? From order placement to receiving the watch, a bit less than two months.

Placed my order late August 2012. They asked for some wrist measurements, and then informed me that it was ready for shipment in late September. The estimate on the website at that time was still 2-3 months. It took about a week to process the payment, and after shipping, got the watch in early October.

I don't know if that is normal or not though. I've read of some really long waits.

pwack

Check out my edit above. Taxes are not always required for purchasers. For example, online sales in the US were traditionally tax free, although that is going away. And now I guess I am supposed to put something on my 1040, aren't I?

Anyways, US import tax, if it applies, has gotta be less than VAT, right?

So, after talking with some folks who should know, the answer for US residents comes down to a question of state law. For example, Illinois requires that reisdents self-report a "use tax" for goods as part of their annual return where
  • the items bought are taxable in Illinois,
  • the items bought are used or consumed in Illinois, and
  • when the items are purchased, you either did not pay any sales tax to the seller, or paid sales tax at less than Illinois’ Use Tax rates of 6.25 percent for general merchandise and 1 percent for food and drugs.

So, mileage may vary by state, but for many states, you would be obligated to self-report your purchase on your annual tax return and then pay a state tax rate; in Illinois's example, 6.25%, which is at least far less than VAT.

Top Bottom