• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

If you want the Speedy, someone is selling the reduced for $1050. Not that bad in condition, too:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6502637&rid=0#msg_6502637

EDIT-Forget everything I said. I think the Omega Planet Ocean is priced right used for $2500. I'd get a 42mm, but the thickness is what detracts me. The PO seems to be the perfect balance between price points when it comes to a luxury watch.

Ahah, you thought you were safe? But I saw everything!!!

Dear Watch GAF, Jason was considering an awful Tudor to be a much wiser buy than a nice Omega PO, please join me:

BooThisMan.gif

Just kidding, I actually think the Tudors are not as crappy as people make them to be :)

I guess why pay more for a Tudor Black Bay used when you can get a PO for cheaper. But I have a feeling since Tudor is coming back to the U.S., there will be more supply, thus reducing the prices of used Tudors.

I love that bergundy color around the bezel. What's good about the PO is that the lug to lug is not that big. Something like 47mm/48mm. Can't find anything on the TBB except for someone claiming 50mm, which is a limit for me.

But practical is important. Nobody wants to have mixed feelings about the size of a watch.

EDIT-BTW, the Seamaster 300m is still an ulgy watch. :)

Sane_Man

I always find date magnifiers a bit tacky. Cool watch other than that though.

I'd fucking love a Seamaster. The PO especially. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford one of those.

300% agreed, date magnifiers look like the glasses on my grandfather nose in the 80s... Not super sexy. Yeah, actually quite creepy.

That said, reading the date on a wristwatch in a short glance, even with good eyes, can be an issue, that's why I quite like the big dates from GO/Lange.

jdavid459

Where can I shop for some slick nice looking watches between $100-200? I'm not rich enough for a lot of the ones i see in here.

I want a Tudor Black Bay:

1348170536_zps5474cacb.jpg

Damn sexy watch at 41mm and 10mm thick.

Such a beautiful watch in person. We just bought it for my brother for his bday last month. The thing is heavy and sturdy as hell. Damn its well built. I like the thickness and heft of the bracelet and clasp more than the one on my older Submariner 16610.
The red also looks great. I can post pics comparing the two watches later.

Where can I shop for some slick nice looking watches between $100-200? I'm not rich enough for a lot of the ones i see in here.

Seiko 5 are fantastic, Orient has great watches for that price, and if you want an homage to a 'legendary' watch, and more dressy stuff, Parnis does an ok job. Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask if you want more details :)

Such a beautiful watch in person. We just bought it for my brother for his bday last month. The thing is heavy and sturdy as hell. Damn its well built. I like the thickness and heft of the bracelet and clasp more than the one on my older Submariner 16610.
The red also looks great. I can post pics comparing the two watches later.

Do post pictures. Would you say the quality of the bracelet and case is the same as Rolex Sub (fit, finish)? Also, can you measure the lug to lug height?

Do post pictures. Would you say the quality of the bracelet and case is the same as Rolex Sub (fit, finish)? Also, can you measure the lug to lug height?

Next time I see my bro I'll do comparisons. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon.
As for the bracelet of the Tudor, it really feels like the newer SubC (116610 model) in the sense that the links are solid throughout. Apparently the older model sub like I have is more hollow.
The case is also noticeably thicker, which isnt bad. Just looks a little more flashy.

Side note: I wish my sub had the Rehaut engraving on the inside that said ROLEXROLEX etc.
GmaxNMbl.jpg

c837Ugcl.jpg

Here's a blurry pic of the Tudor from when we bought it.
HpsAfHrl.jpg

Peru

I meant the Bond one. I hate the design of the case and the skeleton hands.

I'm quite content with it ;)

For those who do like the classic Seamaster - what do you think of the slightly slicker redesign with the wave pattern removed? I bought mine (new) just before the new design took over the shops and was/am super happy I got the classic design. It's not that I dislike the new look, but replacing the old? No waves..?

Dead Man

Hey Phoenix :)P),

So, very quickly, here are my thoughts:

As I said already a few times in this thread, Tag is a lazy brand, throwing millions to Leo 'teenface' Di Caprio and Brad 'badass' Pitt just to make sure they have an inspirational talent for any 20+ guy out there.
For the past 15 years they did not add much to their collection and just recycled old designs - the only thing I can think of is a proto watch that replaces the pendulum with magnets from last year... Meh.
And because Tag has lost the brand values that made it great once , I think you would just end up overpay given the current quality of their watches.

3 directions:

The used (even better if vintage from the 50s/60s) SpeedMaster. You can get one for pretty much you price cap used on Chrono24.com, it's a classic design, and anybody who doesn't like it has just awful taste:

250px-Vintage_Omega_Speedmaster_%22Pre-moon%22.jpg

A new NOMOS, fantastic craftmanship, crazy bang for bucks, just maybe a bit dressier than what you expected (also this specific model is very small, Orion 35mm, which I love, but they have bigger sizes), also a bit under your cap:

nomosorionalphablack_2348_detail.jpg

A new Sinn, simply among the most interesting watch company these days, incredible R&D and super cool design, and among the best cases out there in this price range, here I chose a 103 st sa, a bit under your cap, but there are plenty of others:

Sinn103StSa.jpg

(Sinn and Nomos are exclusively sold on watchbuys.com)

Ah, thanks! I do like a smaller watch, anything over about 42mm is often too big for my tastes. I'll check out those watches for sure. Not sure about buying a watch at that price that I can't see in person first though.

As for the Tag, it wasn't the brand name so much, it was the only watch I could find that I liked the look of better than my current Tissot. :/ I have very narrow tastes in watches I have discovered! lol Well, not really, but for a good all round and work watch I certainly do.

For reference, my current work wear watch:

As you can see, not that different to the tag model, I'm a bit boring, I know.

Still. I will certainly check out those others, thank you very much for the info :)

I'd also consider getting a Sinn 356, but the case thickness is 15mm. If the 42mm PO doesn't work out, I may get a used 2254 in the future. You can find them used cheap.

Do you guys think after Tudor comes back to the U.S., they won't be as expensive used? Because some of them run for over $3000 used for a Black Bay.

pwack

Ah, thanks! I do like a smaller watch, anything over about 42mm is often too big for my tastes. I'll check out those watches for sure. Not sure about buying a watch at that price that I can't see in person first though.

As for the Tag, it wasn't the brand name so much, it was the only watch I could find that I liked the look of better than my current Tissot. :/ I have very narrow tastes in watches I have discovered! lol Well, not really, but for a good all round and work watch I certainly do.

For reference, my current work wear watch:

As you can see, not that different to the tag model, I'm a bit boring, I know.

Still. I will certainly check out those others, thank you very much for the info :)

If its that particular style you are after, there are other options that don't involve paying an inflated Tag price. That style is rather conventional.

Not to sound like too much of a broken record, but check out Seiko SARBs, via Seiyajapan.com. A SARB033 costs $400USD for a similar style with a nice, in-house Seiko movement. Or else buy a lightly used Omega Aqua Terra.

On a separate note -- I know I am supposed to be shopping for my Speedmaster, but for some reason I can't stop looking at Seiko Marine Masters!

marine_top.jpg

sbdb001a.jpg

If its that particular style you are after, there are other options that don't involve paying an inflated Tag price. That style is rather conventional.

Not to sound like too much of a broken record, but check out Seiko SARBs, via Seiyajapan.com. A SARB033 costs $400USD for a similar style with a nice, in-house Seiko movement. Or else buy a lightly used Omega Aqua Terra.

On a separate note -- I know I am supposed to be shopping for my Speedmaster, but for some reason I can't stop looking at Seiko Marine Masters!

When I saw the Tissot design I wanted to recommend SARBs too, you are not a broken record, they just kill everything in their price range, and corresponds to the design shown :)

MM are fantastic, no question, but much less versatile than the SPM, they are typical divers, when SPM is a tool/dress/sporty cross over... I would save up for the SPM if I were you, the MM will be a nice addition to your collection afterward :)

Do you guys think after Tudor comes back to the U.S., they won't be as expensive used? Because some of them run for over $3000 used for a Black Bay.

Very doubtful, Tudor is not that known in NA right now, their new introduction and subsequent marketing push will generate much more demand coming from NA, which would likely push prices up - except if they have a plan to vastly increase offer, which I doubt.

-Setsuna-

The SBDB001 is a fantastic piece, and quite "inexpensive" considering its characteristics, movement and materials, but its dimensions are insane... (Diameter : 45mm - Thickness : 17mm)

The SBDX001 is the better choice, IMO. Iconic, being the descendant of the 6215 (1967), and a bit more compact/versatile. Also, thanks to Yobokies or IWW, its Hardlex can be replaced by a sapphire.

Blu10

So I've discovered watch buying is a sickness. Came in here about a month ago to ask about a world time watch, and now 1 month later I've picked up two watches, and am seriously considering buying for my third watch the nomos that was originally recommended to me.

Dead Man

Thanks, I'll check them out, I was really looking for an automatic though. All suggestions are appreciated though!

Edit: That Omega looks great.

So I've discovered watch buying is a sickness. Came in here about a month ago to ask about a world time watch, and now 1 month later I've picked up two watches, and am seriously considering buying for my third watch the nomos that was originally recommended to me.

It's actually a virus, you just caught it when you came here :)

Pics?

(and go for the NOMOS, it simply rocks)

pwack

Thanks, I'll check them out, I was really looking for an automatic though. All suggestions are appreciated though!

Edit: That Omega looks great.

The SARBs are autos; the Aqua Terra comes in both quartz, which can be had used for under $2K I believe, or autos, which are gonna be more.

The first is at home, but it's a citizen eco-drive chronograph with a brown face and band. The second is a seiko

sorry for the crappy phone pic.

This is a BIG picture :)

I like the seiko Premier, they have this unique cross over movement, and a certain classic design with the roman numerals and the different dial textures which I quite like.

Also:

37705749.jpg

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My stowa is on order and due in September. But I have an itch that needs to be scratched sooner...

What's the best place to buy a used watch?

pwack

The Marine Master looks nice, but the case thickness is 14.6mm. Yikes.

Yikes? As someone with a bit of a diver's watch fetish, that sounds thin to me!

The Benarus I just sold was ~16, and it wasn't the height of the watch that bothered me. The PAM homage I have is close to 15 I think (and I've fit under a suit and shirtsleeves on occasion). The Seiko Stargate I have on right now supposedly 13.5 and feels thin!

My stowa is on order and due in September. But I have an itch that needs to be scratched sooner...

What's the best place to buy a used watch?

Cheap? Check out watchrecon.com, it aggregates watch sales. Expensive? Chrono24.com

As in, showing up large in the browser?

It's roughly two screens tall on my 1280x1024 screen. :)

Aske

Yikes? As someone with a bit of a diver's watch fetish, that sounds thin to me!

The Benarus I just sold was ~16, and it wasn't the height of the watch that bothered me. The PAM homage I have is close to 15 I think (and I've fit under a suit and shirtsleeves on occasion). The Seiko Stargate I have on right now supposedly 13.5 and feels thin!

A man after my own heart. A thicker case profile combined with appealing geometry is a severely underrated facet of watch design.

Aske

AMEN BROTHERS!

Thick and small is so underrated these days...

Good point - most chunky watches seem to start at about 42mm. If you want a thicker case with a smaller diameter, you'll have your work cut out finding options. One of the main reasons I'm so happy I can rock large watches is because you rarely find thick cases on anything below 44mm.

It's a real shame more watch companies don't produce more designs in multiple sizes. Seems like such an obvious thing to do. Omega's customers seem thrilled to be able to choose between multiple sizes of Planet Ocean, Speedmaster, Seamaster Pro, etc.

I just got a few vintage Accutrons from my father and had to share!

This 1975 Accutron Snorkel is running just fine, except for the date function. It is very clean inside but I think it could use a cleaning. It is huge, but fits just right. The orange sweep hand and bezel really sets it apart.

IMAG0762-1.jpg

This 1967 Accutron Spaceview was mine when I was a kid and I thought it was gone! It was such a great surprise to find it again. Not sure if it running, but I have the special battery on order, so hopefully it will fire right up (probably wishful thinking, but the Snorkel ran just fine with a fresh battery). It needs a cleaning and a new band, right now it has a cheesey 70's stretch steel band. It is tiny by today's standards.

IMAG0763-1.jpg

A 38mm case watch with a 15mm thickness.....LOL. Keep it. Just seems like an odd mix. 42mmx13mm is the most I'll push. Maybe that extra 1mm in thickess won't matter if I ever opt for a PO.

But I don't like the idea of a thicker watch due to the greater chance of bumping the shit out of it everywhere.

StMeph

A 38mm case watch with a 15mm thickness.....LOL. Keep it. Just seems like an odd mix. 42mmx13mm is the most I'll push. Maybe that extra 1mm in thickess won't matter if I ever opt for a PO.

But I don't like the idea of a thicker watch due to the greater chance of bumping the shit out of it everywhere.

Divers are always going to be thicker than other watches on account of its bezel.

I'll give you my SARB029, then. ;)

Please do!

I am just saying that finding a small watch with a thick case is nearly impossible these days, and I think it's a shame, we should just have the choice...

I am not so sure about this, does the 5mm more will make that much of a difference? Not really.

I think bumping your watch into stuff is much more linked to your moves and activities than to the case thickness... I have quite thick watches for months which are still to be damaged, when my thin SEIKO - which I use for sport and physical labor - has taken a few hits on the hardlex :)

-Setsuna-

I am just saying that finding a small watch with a thick case is nearly impossible these days, and I think it's a shame, we should just have the choice...
Like I said, my fellow countryman, Seiko still offer plenty of those. :)
Their new flagship is 13.5mm thick, which is quite "fat" for such a small and formal watch (with a flat sapphire, too).

It is not the aspect that I like the most in Seiko watches, but it may actually please or interest some of you.

1ibj0m.jpg

Like I said, my fellow countryman, Seiko still offer plenty of those. :)
Their new flagship is 13.5mm thick, which is quite "fat" for such a small and formal watch (with a flat sapphire, too).

It is not the aspect that I like the most in Seiko watches, but it may actually please or interest some

Do they really have that many 40mm less with thick cases in their collection?

Top Bottom