• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

are you waiting due to demand or is it a situation of getting a slight discount in lieu of immediate sale? Just curious about this kind of thing.

The only place selling new Stowa watches is the Stowa website, and the waiting time has been awfully long - 2 to 4 months - for quite some time now.

Or go for a Hamilton Viewmatic. Sapphire crystal, including the caseback, 2824-2 movement, nice finish, and the leather strap is pretty damn good. Hamilton is one of the few brands where you get the 'best bang for your buck.'
192186d1244248690-hamilton-viewmatic-viewmatic.jpg

Of course I have the black dial.

I'd like to get a small second hand maestro:

If my wrist was a little bigger, I'd sport this:

TCRS

Banned
MQ-24-1BLLGF.jpg

Casio MQ-24-1BLLGF

Lost my first one a couple of weeks ago, my arm feels naked without a watch. So I bought the exact same one again. Yes, I'm one of those people. I'll keep rebuying this watch until the end of my life. Unbeatable value for money.

Heh, I didn't want to spend an amount of money on a Bell & Ross so I bought a hommage from parniswatches. After some trouble with international banking they gave me the message that it will be shipped in two days.

kagete

I bought a big one for my next watch on purpose. It's like I'm wearing a chunky metal GShock. It still slides under my shirt's sleeve at work so no one really notices I'm wearing a large watch.

My watch hunt still isn't over though. I still want an affordable stainless steel office watch (Tissot PRC200 or Vict. Maverick), and a sporty black dial/black rubber strap (Edifice black label or Sportura maybe).

Thanks man. It's the full case. I did want the transparent back but I was finding it hard to locate and ended up giving up.

Ok, let me humbly try to ease your pain watch bro:

let's be honest, 80% of the fun of this model is that despite being a pilot watch from the 60s Chinese army it looks modern and super cool in 2013, right?

Now, as you can imagine the original watch from the 60s had a solid case back, so, by opting for that model you are, from a horological standpoint, much cooler and authentic :) Enjoy!

Mar

It's absolutely impossible to overstate my excitment and satisfaction. 1 year of saving, 3 months of waiting. And now this!

BG3PnLWCcAAYoaK.jpg:large

Absolutely beautiful, I'd love to own one of those, though I have my heart set on a Panomatic Inverse (still haven't decided on the steel (grey dial) or white gold (white dial) yet).

Congratulations on setting your mind on something, saving, and achieving your goal. It always makes the purchase so much sweeter rather than just walking in to a shop and buying something out of money you already had.

This is my current watch collection:

853212d1350710365-special-limited-edition-owners-4bd5b3f4cf1f11e1a62d1231380fd04a_7.jpg

After owning these for a year or two, my thoughts on each:

Tag Heuer Limited Edition McLaren Kirium: Great versatile watch that withstands everything I throw at it (due to it being quartz more than anything probably). I've smacked it into concrete walls, dropped it on ceramic, sweat all over it 3 or 4 times a week and bang it around at the gym, and it keeps on going, tells perfect time and I have no issues. I'm not a fan of the overall size as it looks a bit small on my wrist, and it's hard to see the time in daylight (saphire reflects a lot of light and the hands get lost in the dial pattern), but over all a great 'everywhere' watch.

Baume et Mercier Classima 8688: I love watches where you can see the movement and this one is one of the best and most affordably priced in my opinion. It seems to catch the eye of a lot of people though rarely do they say anything. It's only good for wearing to work as it doesn't fit with t-shirts and casual environments. Keeps great time and has a loud ticking sound which I enjoy for some reason. No lume so don't bother wearing at night!

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45: I wear this watch the most as it suits almost every environment. It's flashy and works as a dress watch, it's sporty and works as a casual watch. The time is easy to read in any condition (even at 4am in pitch darkness the lume still blazes on), and it's durable and can go anywhere. I don't like to wear it when I go to the gym or cleaning around walls and ceramic floors as it's big and easy to bump into things. The only complaints I have about this watch is that it seems to have been affected by magnatisation at some point as it runs quite fast. For the first year I had it, it only gained about 13 seconds. Now, it gains about 30 seconds or more a day... Pretty frustrating. Omega claim it is 'resistant' to magnitisation due to the silicon balance spring, but that hasn't helped on this occasion. Still, if I had to only have one watch (ever), this would be it.

Absolutely beautiful, I'd love to own one of those, though I have my heart set on a Panomatic Inverse (still haven't decided on the steel (grey dial) or white gold (white dial) yet).

Congratulations on setting your mind on something, saving, and achieving your goal. It always makes the purchase so much sweeter rather than just walking in to a shop and buying something out of money you already had.

This is my current watch collection:

Tag Heuer Limited Edition McLaren Kirium: Great versatile watch that withstands everything I throw at it (due to it being quartz more than anything probably). I've smacked it into concrete walls, dropped it on ceramic, sweat all over it 3 or 4 times a week and bang it around at the gym, and it keeps on going, tells perfect time and I have no issues. I'm not a fan of the overall size as it looks a bit small on my wrist, and it's hard to see the time in daylight (saphire reflects a lot of light and the hands get lost in the dial pattern), but over all a great 'everywhere' watch.

Baume et Mercier Classima 8688: I love watches where you can see the movement and this one is one of the best and most affordably priced in my opinion. It seems to catch the eye of a lot of people though rarely do they say anything. It's only good for wearing to work as it doesn't fit with t-shirts and casual environments. Keeps great time and has a loud ticking sound which I enjoy for some reason. No lume so don't bother wearing at night!

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45: I wear this watch the most as it suits almost every environment. It's flashy and works as a dress watch, it's sporty and works as a casual watch. The time is easy to read in any condition (even at 4am in pitch darkness the lume still blazes on), and it's durable and can go anywhere. I don't like to wear it when I go to the gym or cleaning around walls and ceramic floors as it's big and easy to bump into things. The only complaints I have about this watch is that it seems to have been affected by magnatisation at some point as it runs quite fast. For the first year I had it, it only gained about 13 seconds. Now, it gains about 30 seconds or more a day... Pretty frustrating. Omega claim it is 'resistant' to magnitisation due to the silicon balance spring, but that hasn't helped on this occasion. Still, if I had to only have one watch (ever), this would be it.

Thank you very much for the nice words, it took a bit of conviction, but the day I went to my AD to get it felt even bigger :)

I always liked the Omega PO for some reason, it's a bold diver both serious and fun at the same time, very nice piece.

FYI, there is no Pano Inverse in white gold anymore in GO collection (you can check their website), red gold + white face or SS + grey, I am sure some ADs still have the model you liked though.
I love the concept of the Pano Inverse 'on paper' - getting rid of the dial and inverse the movement to display it directly behind the hands - but the execution is still not there IMO, I will wait to see how this model evolves before considering it seriously.

nitewulf

Mmmm, nice indeed, any info on price and availability?

nah, been looking for it like crazy but no dice. i think its just announced at this point. i'm hoping its around the $300 - $500 range, but realistically it'll probably be around $800.

and once again, congrats on the GO Panomatic Lunar, I really love how it looks and hope to own one, one day.

today i went shopping and happened upon a luxury watch store in the manhattan financial district...and they had a lot of jaquet droz watches on display. they are huge!

So, in a couple weeks I think I will be buying a Tag Carrera Calibre 5: http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/home...l-bracelet-wv211b-ba0787/ProductSheet:panelID

I don't know a lot about watches, so maybe GAF could tell me any reason why I shouldn't? It looks a lot like a watch I already own, a Tissot, but I've had that one a while and I think it's time for an upgrade.

Well, with all due respect to Tag owners, and god knows I love my 50s HEUER watches, I am really not sure this is the ideal watch for the price. Can you give us a budget, its typical use (daily, work, official...) and a style (formal, dress, sporty, versatile...) and a few references of the stuff you like?

nah, been looking for it like crazy but no dice. i think its just announced at this point. i'm hoping its around the $300 - $500 range, but realistically it'll probably be around $800.

and once again, congrats on the GO Panomatic Lunar, I really love how it looks and hope to own one, one day.

today i went shopping and happened upon a luxury watch store in the manhattan financial district...and they had a lot of jaquet droz watches on display. they are huge!

I don't know, this case looks like 18k gold to me, so I would expect a LOT more than 800 to be honest, but I can't be sure.

Dead Man

Well, with all due respect to Tag owners, and god knows I love my 50s HEUER watches, I am really not sure this is the ideal watch for the price. Can you give us a budget, its typical use (daily, work, official...) and a style (formal, dress, sporty, versatile...) and a few reference of the stuff you like?

$1900 Au for this one, budget is about 2-2.5. I plan on wearing it pretty much daily. probably not on weekends though. I don't like big watches, so that knocks out a lot of the ones I like the look of, they are just too big. I also really prefer simple watches, no fancy detailing or anything.

Edit: Watch prices in Australia seem to be a bit funny, sometimes in line with US/EU prices, other times much higher.

$1900 Au for this one, budget is about 2-2.5. I plan on wearing it pretty much daily. probably not on weekends though. I don't like big watches, so that knocks out a lot of the ones I like the look of, they are just too big. I also really prefer simple watches, no fancy detailing or anything.

Edit: Watch prices in Australia seem to be a bit funny, sometimes in line with US/EU prices, other times much higher.

Let me please take a look at this and get back to you with a few suggestions, but all of this screams used Omega SpeedMaster on bracelet, you may compete with Pwack in the future :)

For some reason I missed your Glassy, GalacticSushiman, my god man.

Thx a lot :)

853212d1350710365-special-limited-edition-owners-4bd5b3f4cf1f11e1a62d1231380fd04a_7.jpg

Have to agree. My planet ocean 45 is hands down the best watch I've owned and I've been wearing it daily for over a year and a half.

nitewulf

I don't know, this case looks like 18k gold to me, so I would expect a LOT more than 800 to be honest, but I can't be sure.
well, yeah, that's true. actually they have four variations...i'd be fine with the black dial and SS case. i think the regular ones will be around $800...but if this one is indeed gold plated, it'll be more expensive for sure. it looks the best, that's why i posted that photo, but in general i just love the offset dial design and the overall look of it.

Mar

FYI, there is no Pano Inverse in white gold anymore in GO collection (you can check their website), red gold + white face or SS + grey, I am sure some ADs still have the model you liked though.
I love the concept of the Pano Inverse 'on paper' - getting rid of the dial and inverse the movement to display it directly behind the hands - but the execution is still not there IMO, I will wait to see how this model evolves before considering it seriously.

Yeah I know they don't manufacture the white gold version anymore. But there's enough kicking around that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find one, if I end up wanting to go that route. I don't like the red gold version, but the SS is perfect:

16606042205.png

To me, the pano inverse is the most beautiful watch ever made. It captured me the first time I saw it and I have had trouble finding anything else that comes even close. There are two other watches that I would consider besides the GO, but I'm undecided.

Christiaan van der Klaauw Real Moon Joure

real_moon_joure_large_5_13.jpg

Blancpain L-Evolution Carrousel Saphir Volant Une Minute

00222-1500-53B_front.png

You can probably tell, I like my watches to be a bit out there...

Yeah I know they don't manufacture the white gold version anymore. But there's enough kicking around that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find one, if I end up wanting to go that route. I don't like the red gold version, but the SS is perfect:

To me, the pano inverse is the most beautiful watch ever made. It captured me the first time I saw it and I have had trouble finding anything else that comes even close. There are two other watches that I would consider besides the GO, but I'm undecided.

Christiaan van der Klaauw Real Moon Joure

Blancpain L-Evolution Carrousel Saphir Volant Une Minute

You can probably tell, I like my watches to be a bit out there...

Well, if you are hesitating between a $250k Blancpain, a $40k Van der Klaauw and a $20k GO you could start by defining a budget cap? Or a size, you have a 39mm,a 42mm and a 43 in the mix :)

For the price of the Blancpain (and in the 'out there' category) I would definitely look at Richard Mille which I find much more interesting.

This price range also includes my grail, Lange Zeitwerk super unique but also very easy to read unlike the BP, and tons of other crazy pieces that I am dreaming of right now... Armin Strom, MB&F, Lange, even a Patek perpetual... The world is at your feet mar, choose well!!

Mar

Well, if you are hesitating between a $250k Blancpain, a $40k Van der Klaauw and a $20k GO you could start by defining a budget cap? Or a size, you have a 39mm,a 42mm and a 43 in the mix :)

The Blancpain isn't within my budget, and it's also a limited edition of about 5 I think. I just used it as an example of a watch, any watch, that matches how I feel about the GO pano inverse.

The difficulty is going to be finding a way to purchase a GO in Australia... No ADs stock them.

You know, I want to buy a metal band for my Hamilton Viewmatic. Any suggestionss? Should I buy a SS band from the exact model, or what do you guys think would look good on it?

The Blancpain isn't within my budget, and it's also a limited edition of about 5 I think. I just used it as an example of a watch, any watch, that matches how I feel about the GO pano inverse.

The difficulty is going to be finding a way to purchase a GO in Australia... No ADs stock them.

I am pretty sure you can find an online AD who will be happy to ship to you :)

I've been interested in buying one or two hommage watches that are a bit in your face when it comes to style. Going for the real deal when it comes to these cheaper looking expensive brands is a big nono for me. Thing is, these hommage brands like Parnis (which isn't even limited to one manufacturer) mostly seem to produce limited batches that are sold on temporary sites or ebay. When batches are sold out; tough luck. Can't get them new anymore.

Example. A 45mm uboat flightdeck and a certain style bell&ross homage where part of a 2009 batch. Certain online dealer sites that are mentioned on WUS do still list them but when ordering them or asking whether they are still in stock, the answer is that they aren't. So in the end I've been on a wild goose chase without much result.:(

simtmb

I grabbed myself a Seiko SARB 021 recently, had two links removed, didn't think a watch repair shop would botch it :( My first watch, i know absolutely nothing about them, so i figured i'd get someone to do it. Its a pin and collar type, i believe the collars aren't inserted correctly, so i'll be fixing that up myself later tonight. Lesson learnt at least!

But i was just wondering if anyone knows of a place to get replacement pins and collars (with/without links) from for this particular sarb?

The watch is absolutely stunning i must say.

moist

I feel the same way about the Inverse. The only other timepiece that is on that level for me is The Freak, which is pretty much unattainable.

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :) Recommend away, if you still want to.

Hey Phoenix :)P),

So, very quickly, here are my thoughts:

As I said already a few times in this thread, Tag is a lazy brand, throwing millions to Leo 'teenface' Di Caprio and Brad 'badass' Pitt just to make sure they have an inspirational talent for any 20+ guy out there.
For the past 15 years they did not add much to their collection and just recycled old designs - the only thing I can think of is a proto watch that replaces the pendulum with magnets from last year... Meh.
And because Tag has lost the brand values that made it great once , I think you would just end up overpay given the current quality of their watches.

3 directions:

The used (even better if vintage from the 50s/60s) SpeedMaster. You can get one for pretty much you price cap used on Chrono24.com, it's a classic design, and anybody who doesn't like it has just awful taste:

250px-Vintage_Omega_Speedmaster_%22Pre-moon%22.jpg

A new NOMOS, fantastic craftmanship, crazy bang for bucks, just maybe a bit dressier than what you expected (also this specific model is very small, Orion 35mm, which I love, but they have bigger sizes), also a bit under your cap:

nomosorionalphablack_2348_detail.jpg

A new Sinn, simply among the most interesting watch company these days, incredible R&D and super cool design, and among the best cases out there in this price range, here I chose a 103 st sa, a bit under your cap, but there are plenty of others:

Sinn103StSa.jpg

(Sinn and Nomos are exclusively sold on watchbuys.com)

Top Bottom