• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Fixed1979

Got my e-mail from Stowa asking for payment on my Flieger 6498 Handwinding without second hand. Of course my bank account is having issues making international money transfers and they said it'll take 2 days to fix.

They had an estimated ship of mid July so that's a really nice surprise! Hopefully the T01 TESTAF isn't too far behind, though I'm not getting my hopes up.

nitewulf

Hahahaha. That's awesome.

FTR, I don't like IWC. Don't like their designs, and I think they're overpriced.

say what...

iwc-portuguese-automatic_1.jpg

Oops. Didn't mean to write IWC. I meant Breitling. Was actually looking at the Spitfires while making that post.

Yeah, I love IWCs now. I'd actually like to get a Mark XVI:

IWC%20Pilot%20Spitfire%20Mark%20XVI%20Automatic%20Replica%20Watch.JPG

What a gorgeous watch.

Oops. Didn't mean to write IWC. I meant Breitling. Was actually looking at the Spitfires while making that post.

Yeah, I love IWCs now. I'd actually like to get a Mark XVI:

IWC%20Pilot%20Spitfire%20Mark%20XVI%20Automatic%20Replica%20Watch.JPG

What a gorgeous watch.

Yeah definitely the Mark XVI is a lovely watch, but this very cheap replica is pure rubbish Jason :)

MARX XVI LOL, the communist IWC :):)

pwack

Just perfect. Congratulations.

Model/movement/age?

Thanks -- I am very excited.

It is a 3570.50.00, caliber 1861.

AD stamp on the warranty card puts the original purchase in December 2009. However, looks like the previous owner hardly ever wore it. The clasp still has the manufacturer's protective film in place.

kagete

Is there a cheaper alternative to a Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster or an all-black Tag Heuer Carrera?

I'm buying a house in maybe 6 months or so and I can't really justify any extra spending but if there's anything out there that's very similar to those 2 aforementioned watches but at a fraction of their price I will gladly bite!

Is there a cheaper alternative to a Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster or an all-black Tag Heuer Carrera?

I'm buying a house in maybe 6 months or so and I can't really justify any extra spending but if there's anything out there that's very similar to those 2 aforementioned watches but at a fraction of their price I will gladly bite!

What fraction of the price are we talking about? If you can still afford a 4 figures you could have a look at a Oris used, they have a great line up of all black/sporty/divers.

Oris_F1_Dark_fr__-thumb-570x374-15076.jpg

Just saw this beauty used going for under 40% of the new price. Unfortunately that's still way too expensive

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3203/bilde2m.jpg

This is an exceptional price for the panoreserve, usually used in good shape, it goes for 60-80% of new.But I see lot of scratches on the case, and also one hand was either altered in color, or replaced, and another one is in pretty bad shape, and the strap is not an original. Not sure.

kagete

Well even a look-alike from another brand will do me fine. A used Oris TT3 is practically the same price as the Tag. Oh well, I guess I just have to keep saving :). If I get promoted again I'll use that to push me over the edge but I'm going to be patient for now.

Moff

Since the demographics in the OT are a bit more mature than other parts of GAF, let's share the love for fine wristwatches and timepieces.

I was first attracted to wristwatches when I saw this one in a documentary about 20 years ago:
1769927244_67a2e0637f.jpg

it's an Omega Speedmaster Professional, also called the "Moon watch" because this model was the first non-russian watch to go into space and even went to the moon with the Apollo 11 crew.

just saw the topic pop up and wanted to contribute.
surprised to see that my watch is the very first one in the topic.

I always liked the omega design, but about 5 years ago, I spotted the moon watch.
a streetseller in rome sold fake versions of it, and it looked so good I had to have it and I bought it for 20€. I didnt wear it long though, like the original you had to wind it up manually (because thats how the austronauts had to do it due to the lack of gravity) but it didnt work well on the fake.

it pleases me, that after 5 years I finally bought a real moon watch.
and because I want it to be the watch I wear every day I bought not the classic model but the automatic co-axial version. After almost 6 months I can say its the absolutely perfect watch for me, I absolutely love it. and the sapphire glass was totally worth it, I probably would have broken it many times already.

Pics don't do the Speedy justice. YT videos you can get a better idea of the quality. the domed crystal compliments the black dial beautifully.

If I'm going to get a Speedy in the future, it's going to be the Reduced only because of the the case thickness is like 11mm or something like that. The other Speedys have like 14mm case thickness.

pwack

I always liked the omega design, but about 5 years ago, I spotted the moon watch.
a streetseller in rome sold fake versions of it, and it looked so good I had to have it and I bought it for 20€. I didnt wear it long though, like the original you had to wind it up manually (because thats how the austronauts had to do it due to the lack of gravity) but it didnt work well on the fake.

Technically, an auto will still run in space; momentum will move the rotor and wind the watch. German astronauts have worn Sinn autos.

Also, your sapphire crystal is actually more likely to shatter than a hesalite crystal, but lesslikely to scuff/scratch.

Moff

Also, your sapphire crystal is actually more likely to shatter than a hesalite crystal, but lesslikely to scuff/scratch.

yup, I already scratched another watch, it was a very cheap one luckily, but I knew I had to get something better if I bought an expensive watch.

Been looking around a lot lately on WUS and other sites for my first 'real' watch. Pretty sure I'd like to own a Speedmaster Pro or PO some day, but would like something a little less expensive to start off with.

Really like Nomos and the Club model seems to be a pretty nice looking intro model:

nomosclubautodatesilver_2314_detail.jpg

A little on the small side for the no date version (36mm) or the date version (38.5mm), but looks okay on the wrist due to longer lugs:

527936d1355171407-nomos-club-ref-701-die-helle-p1010024n.jpg

Any thoughts? If I don't get this one, I'll probably get a Lum-Tec Cobalt model since they are made about 2 minutes from my house.

Sane_Man

Got my e-mail from Stowa asking for payment on my Flieger 6498 Handwinding without second hand. Of course my bank account is having issues making international money transfers and they said it'll take 2 days to fix.

They had an estimated ship of mid July so that's a really nice surprise! Hopefully the T01 TESTAF isn't too far behind, though I'm not getting my hopes up.

You must be excited man. Be sure to post pics. This gives me faith that my Stowa Marine will be here sooner. I got an end of August shipping date so by my logic I will now get my Stowa by the end of June...

Been looking around a lot lately on WUS and other sites for my first 'real' watch. Pretty sure I'd like to own a Speedmaster Pro or PO some day, but would like something a little less expensive to start off with.

Really like Nomos and the Club model seems to be a pretty nice looking intro model:

A little on the small side for the no date version (36mm) or the date version (38.5mm), but looks okay on the wrist due to longer lugs:

Any thoughts? If I don't get this one, I'll probably get a Lum-Tec Cobalt model since they are made about 2 minutes from my house.

Both are great choices, but the Nomos is much classier while remaining very versatile, and with an in-house movement, you can't beat that!

Im very fine with my watch. She surprised me with it.

Its an "MK-8231" With titanium band and case.

OnkelC's answer was perfect, let's keep it at that, and enjoy it!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
What's the cheapest way to get a Nomos lookalike? I don't even care if its a fake Nomos or some kind of quartz rip off from some horrible company. I just love the look and want something like it on my wrist.

kagete

What's the cheapest way to get a Nomos lookalike? I don't even care if its a fake Nomos or some kind of quartz rip off from some horrible company. I just love the look and want something like it on my wrist.

Hmm I just went through this exercise.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/looking-affordable-recommendation-white-dial-blue-hands-537044.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/blue-hands-white-face-503629.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/respectable-stowa-nomos-homages-606419.html

Looks pretty big to me. On that wrist, I'd prefer a smaller version.

Sure does. That is the 38.5mm date model on what looks to be a smallish wrist.

Here is a photo of the 36mm on a 7" (my size) wrist:

310070d1280905503-need-advise-nomos-club-dscn1421.jpg

Despite the smaller dial, the lugs make it work I think.

Did you guys ever read about the Hajime Asaoka Tourbillon watch? It's a total novelty, but such a beautiful design! I wish at least that art deco dial design was replicated by others!

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...-end-independent-watchmaking-from-tokyo-japan

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/hajime-asaoka-tourbillon-watch/

First time I see it, and god knows I lurk on hodinkee and WUS :), I absolutely love it, the dial is stunning, and the guy is serious about movement making. There is a video with Hajime Asaoka talking to Philippe Dufour, quite mesmerezing.

This Asaoka guy just got added to my 'independant watch maker to follow closely' list alongside FP Journe and others :)

My new acquisition.

You will notice change in people around you: guys will respect you more, girls will instantly fall in love with you, and some people may bow down to you and throw rose petals on your path.

All of this is normal pwack, a moonwatch does this, if you want to know all the perks, just take a look at the Axe commercial with the astronaut :)

Enjoy my friend, it looks fantastic on your wrist!

edit: I just noticed the last pic is with the chrono on, nice touch mate!

LCfiner

I have the black dial rodina and like it a lot. I got a new strap as the included one was a bit flimsy. I only would have proffered if the case was matte and not polished.

Had it for a couple weeks and the movement seems accurate and has a decent power reserve.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Peru

Damnit pwack, that's not healthy to watch for a poor Speedy fan. Well I've got the SeaM and I'll get the Speedy one fine day.

pwack

I'm ignorant so how does the chrono work? I really don't get its use. Give me a better example.

Nothing particularly special about this chrono function; basic stopwatch functions. Large center hand measures seconds, right sub dial counts minutes, bottom subdial counts hours.

I generally record my billing on paper, but there are plenty of times when I use a watch to measure start and stop as well.

Of course you can also use a Tachy bezel to measure speed or distance,.

I've already laughed at the idea of using the bezel in my office job. "Hey look, I am reading this insanely boring memo at a pace of 85 pages/hour!"

pwack

And in other fun watch news, Watchbuys.com has announced the dates for their US road shows. They'll be here in Chicago in 2 weeks, which means getting to see some Dornbluths (and Sinns and Nomoses) in the steel.

Of course you can also use a Tachy bezel to measure speed or distance,.

I am curious, does someone really do that somewhere? :)

Don't get me wrong, I have a moonphase I am all for useless stuff :), but who, knowing 2 points in space a km from one another, measures speed of its vehicule (min. is 60km/h, it can't be anything else right?) by looking at its second hand on his watch?
Who does that, seriously? :p
I think it also work in reverse as you hinted, if you know your speed, you could technically calculate the distance between 2 points the same way. Again, why would you do that?

Too much of a stretch for me, I don't believe it can actually happen, but please, prove me wrong!

Top Bottom