• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

nitewulf

So I've discovered watch buying is a sickness. Came in here about a month ago to ask about a world time watch, and now 1 month later I've picked up two watches, and am seriously considering buying for my third watch the nomos that was originally recommended to me.

heh...the justification of price is the strangest thing.

now it seems to me that a 20K JLC Perpetual Calendar is actually pretty fair and something to shoot for.

wtf.

but i am this way about many things though, audiophile gear, furniture etc.

heh...the justification of price is the strangest thing.

now it seems to me that a 20K JLC Perpetual Calendar is actually pretty fair and something to shoot for.

wtf.

but i am this way about many things though, audiophile gear, furniture etc.

Let's marry :)

Audeze LCD-2, Dupond pen, and Glashutte Original... Addicted to quality :)

5 years ago, spending more than $200 on a watch seemed crazy, now putting less than 5k is inconceivable. I guess we are becoming older...

-Setsuna-

Do they really have that many 40mm less with thick cases in their collection?
A few examples in the Grand Seiko brand :

SBGR077 : 39.4mm x 15.3mm
SBGM025 : 39.4mm x 14.1mm
SBGM023 : 39.5mm x 13.7mm
SBGE009 : 39.4mm x 13.6mm
SBGR081 : 40mm x 13.4mm
SBGR051 : 37mm x 13.3mm
SBGR073 : 37mm x 13.3mm
SBGH013 : 39.5mm x 13.1mm
SBGR061 : 39.5mm x 13.1mm

In comparison to the SBGH019 (38mm x 13.5mm), the Zenith Espada, its sole rival with a 36,000 bph movement, is : 40mm x 11.7mm.

A few examples in the Grand Seiko brand :

SBGR077 : 39.4mm x 15.3mm
SBGM025 : 39.4mm x 14.1mm
SBGM023 : 39.5mm x 13.7mm
SBGE009 : 39.4mm x 13.6mm
SBGR081 : 40mm x 13.4mm
SBGR051 : 37mm x 13.3mm
SBGR073 : 37mm x 13.3mm
SBGH013 : 39.5mm x 13.1mm
SBGR061 : 39.5mm x 13.1mm

In comparison to the SBGH019 (38mm x 13.5mm), the Zenith Espada, its sole rival with a 36,000 bph movement, is : 40mm x 11.7mm.

Yeah, I knew GS had a few models in that shape, but not that many. My next purchase is a sporty, but after that I'll definitely be looking at GS... Thx!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The Marine Master looks nice, but the case thickness is 14.6mm. Yikes.
smallP1020458.jpg

smallP1020450.jpg

it's a fascinating watch, in fact it's the only watch of which I bought a second one after selling the first one just because I genuinely missed it.

Mar

But I don't like the idea of a thicker watch due to the greater chance of bumping the shit out of it everywhere.

I actually find the opposite. My two other watches that are light and thin have been banged into walls and other things many times, and have suffered 'almost' invisible scratches on the sapphire as a result. But my large, thick and heavy Omega PO is spotless. Why would this be so?

I forget a small watch is there half the time. A bigger watch always has a presence on my wrist and I'm always mindful of walls etc.

Enron

Banned
Hmmm. The Marine Master 300 is actually growing on me after reading threads about selling their rolexes/omegas and buying a MM300.

I was all into the MM about 5 years back. Its awesome for the money, but....it's like wearing a stack of dinner plates on your wrist. Seriously. I don't know how it would make a good everyday watch.

I was all into the MM about 5 years back. Its awesome for the money, but....it's like wearing a stack of dinner plates on your wrist. Seriously. I don't know how it would make a good everyday watch.

Yeah, lol.

Your watch is like the ideal size and look for me. Honestly, they should've used the 2254 as the Bond watch.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is anyone aware of a site or proper channels that I may be able to get a Seagull 1963 for the $200 price tag and not the inflated $400 on their US site?

This thread needs a quick bump :)

I am not the biggest fan of the brand, but here is the new Rolex print creative:
clever, whoever you are there is someone there for you :)

Rolex_The%20New%20Yorker%205.20%20Innovators.jpg

I find it interesting that so many WIS prefer Grand Seiko over a Rolex.

But if I was in some 3rd world country trying to escape for my life, I'd be glad to give my Rolex to one of the locals to help me escape.

I find it interesting that so many WIS prefer Grand Seiko over a Rolex.

But if I was in some 3rd world country trying to escape for my life, I'd be glad to give my Rolex to one of the locals to help me escape.

Yeah but if you were in some 3rd world country trying to escape for your life, it would be because one guy spotted a Rolex on your wrist in the first place :)

Nah. I'd ask one of the locals to help me escape in exchange for my Rollie.

BTW, I love reading threads on WUS where posters sell their Rolexes for MKII Nassau (for obvious reasons of course). It's enlightening.

Call me a heretic but I've succumbed to the Chinese homage.

Parnis B&R homage that I bought on ebay. Thing is comfortable as hell.

I prefer it to the real thing to be honest...
Very nice piece with no branding,and a minimalist take and great colors which feel extremely modern, bravo!

Just out of curiosity, how big?

Thx. It's 46mm but because of its shape it wears quite large. As always the perspective of the photo make it look bigger than it is though. It's also heavy but the wide strap and wide surface makes it a comfortable watch to wear.

The clean dial made it look like the ultimate cockpit style clock for me. I would have taken it over the original even if price wasn't an issue. Parniswatches did't sell it anymore so this was my next choice. But it seems that they like to offer watches that are not and will never be available again.

Thx. It's 46mm but because of its shape it wears quite large. As always the perspective of the photo make it look bigger than it is though. It's also heavy but the wide strap and wide surface makes it a comfortable watch to wear.

The clean dial made it look like the ultimate cockpit style clock for me. I would have taken it over the original even if price wasn't an issue. Parniswatches did't sell it anymore so this was my next choice. But it seems that they like to offer watches that are not and will never be available again.

Your model looks a million time better the one you linked, great choice!

It wears like a 48-ish indeed, but with the slick design and colors, it actually works quite well on your wrist.

I am not sure, but the fact they release a batch, sell it, and then move on may be linked to the nature of their business...

I know that dial designs are not intellectual properties (so as long as you don't put the logo/name you are ok), but I am also not sure that big brands out there would react positively to having some manufacturer always selling cheap version of all their available watch design... whereas those limited and strangely distributed batches may be less of a threat... Not sure though.

Damian is obviously a professional diver, let's say a treasure hunter in the Carribean, when Mobius is most definitely a military pilot from the Luftwafe :)

NeoGAF delivers, lovely collections guys, the IWC in particular, that bracelet looks perfect :)

Mobius is most definitely a military pilot from the Luftwafe :)
If only...
My job is far less exciting unfortunately :(

NeoGAF delivers, lovely collections guys, the IWC in particular, that bracelet looks perfect :)
It's indeed a very comfortable one, the new model that come with the MK XVII seems even better (you can adjust the length of +/- 6mm of the bracelet via a cog without the need for a tool) but the price has become truly insane (i think that's it's nearly a Euro-grand to buy it aftermarket)

How do you know if a timepiece is really fine. I know the old adage if you have to ask....

But im seriously curious. My girl bought me a Michael Kors and im trying to determine some stats on it. For example is it a discontinued model, etc.

Thank you an advance.

How do you know if a timepiece is really fine. I know the old adage if you have to ask....

But im seriously curious. My girl bought me a Michael Kors and im trying to determine some stats on it. For example is it a discontinued model, etc.

Thank you an advance.

I guess WatchGAF could write a book about what makes a timepiece a fine one, but we can't say much without knowing the model name/number and seeing the beast...

The name Rolex is universally known. I can ask anyone at work if they've heard of Girard Perregaux and they'd say no.

Brand recognition does influence me. I'd rather save up for a used Rolex Sub than an MKII Nassau.

But maybe I shouldn't? I like the feel of Lacoste shirts, but personally, I like J. Crew's polo shirts more, even though J. Crew doesn't have a logo slapped on the nip.

I just bought my first watch that didn't cost $20 thanks to interest piqued by my routine lurking of this thread over the past few months.

2f00049ec1bf11e2a35d22000aaa05f7_7.jpg

Not super fancy, but I feel like it's a good place to start for someone like me who has little experience with owning non-super cheap watch. I like it.

The name Rolex is universally known. I can ask anyone at work if they've heard of Girard Perregaux and they'd say no.

Brand recognition does influence me. I'd rather save up for a used Rolex Sub than an MKII Nassau.

But maybe I shouldn't? I like the feel of Lacoste shirts, but personally, I like J. Crew's polo shirts more, even though J. Crew doesn't have a logo slapped on the nip.
nothing wrong with 'known' labels, I own some gucci shit here and there, but it shouldn't really sway your decision IMO. I have a couple of fred perry short sleeve shirts (technically a designer collab haha), for instance, but eh, got em cheap so I can deal with the laurel.

you actually might like fred perry, off topic that this is.

I just bought my first watch that didn't cost $20 thanks to interest piqued by my routine lurking of this thread over the past few months.

2f00049ec1bf11e2a35d22000aaa05f7_7.jpg

Not super fancy, but I feel like it's a good place to start for someone like me who has little experience with owning non-super cheap watch. I like it.

I have a more 'tactical' looking watch that looks like that. Seiko has a great lineup with this general shape. And yours looks to make a great allrounder.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Thank you an advance.

A timepiece is "fine" when you are "fine" with it.

Top Bottom