• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

pwack

I am curious, does someone really do that somewhere? :)

Don't get me wrong, I have a moonphase I am all for useless stuff :), but who, knowing 2 points in space a km from one another, measures speed of its vehicule (min. is 60km/h, it can't be anything else right?) by looking at its second hand on his watch?
Who does that, seriously? :p
I think it also work in reverse as you hinted, if you know your speed, you could technically calculate the distance between 2 points the same way. Again, why would you do that?

Too much of a stretch for me, I don't believe it can actually happen, but please, prove me wrong!

I'm with Mr. Sushiman here. I'm pretty sure I'll never use the tachymeter bezel for its purpose.

That said, I love the slide rule bezel on classic Navitimers.

Aske

So why not just use the small second hand and the rest of main dials instead of the Subdials to time something? Wouldn't that be just as practical?

Why use a stopwatch ever? Sometimes it's easier to hit a button to start and stop a timer than it is to make a mental note of the current time and then measure the intervening minutes at the end of a given interval.

pwack

So why not just use the small second hand and the rest of main dials instead of the Subdials to time something? Wouldn't that be just as practical?

Same reason anyone ever uses a stopwatch/chronograph/diving bezel instead of adding or subtracting from a normal three-hand watch, I guess; convenience and ease of use.

Plus it looks cool. And because it is what Jim Lovell (essentially) used to time his 30 second manual burn to get Apollo 13 back onto the right trajectory. :).

Cheers dude, I decided to take the plunge on this! Seems to get positive reviews and isn't just a piss poor plastic rip off. Hopefully get it soon.

Don't care that its a copycat, looks lovely and no one recognises watch company names anyway!

Awesome. Congrats and can't wait to see pics. I personally don't have a problem with homages. I have a Panerai homage that I love.

Convenience as already explained, and of course elegance:

I mean, you have to time a small speech in a meeting, like 15 minutes, you have 5, and only 5 ways to do it:

- Put an iphone on the table, and look at it from time to time, which means you are not even accepted in this thread.
- Put your overpriced fashion brand quartz tasteless watch on the table, meh.
- Just glance at your timepiece to look at the time, memorize it and do the math, now that's quite classy!
- Elegantly push a button on the size of your SPM Chrono, that's another league of classy.
- Super elegantly turn the bezel of your SPM/Aquatimer/FF..., you are now at the top of your game :)

So, Chrono Jason?

pwack

So here's the new issue I have: my Speedie feels like it has made my Sarb033 redundant! Admittedly, the Sarb is less sporty and more dressy, but it is still not a true dress watch, so it doesn't even fill that role. I have a feeling the Sarb is going to go up for sale sometime soon.

Peru

I am curious, does someone really do that somewhere? :)

Don't get me wrong, I have a moonphase I am all for useless stuff :), but who, knowing 2 points in space a km from one another, measures speed of its vehicule (min. is 60km/h, it can't be anything else right?) by looking at its second hand on his watch?
Who does that, seriously? :p
I think it also work in reverse as you hinted, if you know your speed, you could technically calculate the distance between 2 points the same way. Again, why would you do that?

Too much of a stretch for me, I don't believe it can actually happen, but please, prove me wrong!

Never used one because I never owned one ;b http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachymeter_(watch)

But yeah - f.ex. the Rolex diving ad gets me excited even though I don't dive much, and the gas valve on my watch is kinda cool even if I definitely won't use that. Not rational needs there. I like the idea of watches as potential tools though and would probably at least play around a bit with whatever can be done.

So here's the new issue I have: my Speedie feels like it has made my Sarb033 redundant! Admittedly, the Sarb is less sporty and more dressy, but it is still not a true dress watch, so it doesn't even fill that role. I have a feeling the Sarb is going to go up for sale sometime soon.

Is it on metal bracelet? If so, I'll trade you my Hammie for it. :)

JYabbz

Neo Member
Fellow watch geek here and WUS affordables forum poster here but not only did I not know this thread existed but I forgot I had an account here. But anyway, if anyone needs helps on sub < $500-1000 watches, I am here to help.

Let me post a picture of one of my favorite watches:

Citizen Calibre 2100

1094169d1369229914-_______%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Awruw-wednesday-05-22-2013%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A___________-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369229914.651591.jpg

Fellow watch geek here and WUS affordables forum poster here but not only did I not know this thread existed but I forgot I had an account here. But anyway, if anyone needs helps on sub < $500-1000 watches, I am here to help.

Citizen Calibre 2100

Welcome back then!

We have quite a lot of cool experts on affordable watches here, but another WIS opinion is always welcomed!

By the way dear watchGAF, I personnally find it ugly, but I am sure some of you will like the idea of participating in a contest to win this:

sports_watch-wryst_airborne_fw35.jpg

Details here

GL!

pwack

Citizen Calibre 2100

1094169d1369229914-_______%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Awruw-wednesday-05-22-2013%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A___________-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369229914.651591.jpg

Dude, that is Ron Swanson's watch!

JYabbz

Neo Member
Dude, that is Ron Swanson's watch!

Ohh, I didn't know that. I guess him and I have great taste then. j/k.

Welcome back then!

We have quite a lot of cool experts on affordable watches here, but another WIS opinion is always welcomed!

By the way dear watchGAF, I personnally find it ugly, but I am sure some of you will like the idea of participating in a contest to win this:

sports_watch-wryst_airborne_fw35.jpg

Details here

GL!

Hey a free watch always looks good to me, thanks for the heads up.

JYabbz

Neo Member
A couple of my watches, the Hamiltons and still counting (Ventura LE, Everest, Khaki King)

1082551d1368405690-guys-lets-see-your-hamiltons-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368405711.468463.jpg

Still have the Pan Europ (Black dial) and Jazzmaster Square Chrono on my wish list.

If anyone doesn't mind, I would like to post some of my WRUW (what are you wearing) watch from time to time.

A couple of my watches, the Hamiltons and still counting (Ventura LE, Everest, Khaki King)

Still have the Pan Europ (Black dial) and Jazzmaster Square Chrono on my wish list.

If anyone doesn't mind, I would like to post some of my WRUW (what are you wearing) watch from time to time.

Well, we do like watches over here, and consequently we also like wrist pics, so yeah, please post :D

1082551d1368405690-guys-lets-see-your-hamiltons-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368405711.468463.jpg

You're a fan of Hamilton watches? :p

I seriously need to buy a metal band for my Viewmatic. I like the leather band, but I just like the feeling of SS band alongside that you can get it wet.

Also, I've decided that if I do decide to buy a high end luxury watch, it's going to have an ETA movement inside. Reason why is that I don't feel like spending $300-$400 every 5-6 years to get it serviced when I can pay sometimes less than half that price to service a watch with an ETA movement.

I seriously need to buy a metal band for my Viewmatic. I like the leather band, but I just like the feeling of SS band alongside that you can get it wet.

Also, I've decided that if I do decide to buy a high end luxury watch, it's going to have an ETA movement inside. Reason why is that I don't feel like spending $300-$400 every 5-6 years to get it serviced when I can pay sometimes less than half that price to service a watch with an ETA movement.

This does not exist, when a watch has an ETA movement inside its case, it's NOT a high end luxury watch in the first place :)

What's considered 'High end luxury' are the PP, AP, VC, Lange, GO, JLC, Breguet (+ independents) of this world, and all include in house or heavily modified ETA on certain models (making it much more expensive to service than a 2824-2 of course...).

What you are referring to is mid end watches (Longines, Tag, Sinn...). And among those, only NOMOS and Zenith have a in-house movement, all the rest is ETA based, or just ETA with a (lazy) engraving of the brand logo on the rotor.

I was personally very focused on those mid end watches for a long time, and arrived at the exact opposite conclusion: if I spend more than a thousand on an item that can be bought for less than 10 bucks, I want to know why. If the reason is 'because it costs a lot to develop our own movement' then I am interested, if the reason is 'because it costs a lot to have Leo Di Caprio in our ads' then you lost me.

I don't understand that one would like to save up from $300-400 to a $100 for servicing cost when one chose in the first place to buy a luxury item which pure 'usefulness' will NEVER justify its price.

ETA movements are proven reliable anyway. I don't give two shits really about whether a watch is in-house or not. What matters to me is a proven workhorse movement, which comes secondary to the design, fit and finish on the outside. Hell, I may just may make my Hamilton my one and only watch. Just depends on where my future lies. I'd rather invest that $400 every 5 years than spend it on servicing an Omega or IWC.

Oh, and I find it hilarious that you keep bringing up Tag and adverstising:

You will notice change in people around you: guys will respect you more, girls will instantly fall in love with you, and some people may bow down to you and throw rose petals on your path.

All of this is normal pwack, a moonwatch does this, if you want to know all the perks, just take a look at the Axe commercial with the astronaut :)

Jesus Christ. You sound worse than a TAG ad. Who cares what other people think about your watch. You buy and enjoy a watch for yourself, not for the people around.

Aske

This does not exist, when a watch has an ETA movement inside its case, it's NOT a high end luxury watch in the first place :)

What's considered 'High end luxury' are the PP, AP, VC, Lange, GO, JLC, Breguet (+ independents) of this world, and all include in house or heavily modified ETA on certain models (making it much more expensive to service than a 2824-2 of course...).

What you are referring to is mid end watches (Longines, Tag, Sinn...). And among those, only NOMOS and Zenith have a in-house movement, all the rest is ETA based, or just ETA with a (lazy) engraving of the brand logo on the rotor.

I was personally very focused on those mid end watches for a long time, and arrived at the exact opposite conclusion: if I spend more than a thousand on an item that can be bought for less than 10 bucks, I want to know why. If the reason is 'because it costs a lot to develop our own movement' then I am interested, if the reason is 'because it costs a lot to have Leo Di Caprio in our ads' then you lost me.

I don't understand that one would like to save up from $300-400 to a $100 for servicing cost when one chose in the first place to buy a luxury item which pure 'usefulness' will NEVER justify its price.

Excellent post GS. I'd add that even if a given buyer has the funds to purchase a higher-end watch, it's probably not fiscally intelligent to do so unless he's also capable of easily shouldering the odd ~$1000 burden every once in a while. Especially one which he can safely predict to occur no more than once every seven years or so.

It's fine to care more about brands or aesthetics than movements of course; but buying a higher-end watch deliberately because it has a cheap, mass-produced movement is like buying an expensive car and wishing it had a cheap, mass-produced engine under the hood. It's not wrong and plenty of people do it, but it's generally viewed as odd by the enthusiast crowd because it displays a lack of appreciation for the fundemental facets of high-end design.

I say this as a huge fan of ETA who values their movements, and greately appreciates their contribution to the watch industry.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see a few shots of the Pan Europ. I'm still mad that I missed out on the L.E. with the blue dial, would match the new car perfectly ;)

The Ventura is on my "watch to won before I die" list as well, such an iconic design.

kagete

Aye, aye. High-end watches, like most anything with "high-end" attached to the name, are luxury items by definition. They're not even analogous to cars (ex. Audi A3 over a VW with the same body and engine) because a watch's utility is microscopically minute in comparison to any vehicle without even factoring price.

I don't own a single expensive watch, but I definitely plan to and will make sure that I can afford their upkeep. I felt the same before planning buying my first new car and while it seems purely materialistic, these purchasing milestones are very important for me because they help motivate me onto furthering my career. I still remember buying my first Tumi luggage, my first pair of Tag Heuer prescription glasses, and after I buy a house, an Omega Speedmaster will make a fine trophy on my wrist!

Oh, and I find it hilarious that you keep bringing up Tag and adverstising:

Jesus Christ. You sound worse than a TAG ad. Who cares what other people think about your watch. You buy and enjoy a watch for yourself, not for the people around.

Jason, if you really thought there was even an ounce of seriousness in that post, I can't do much for you, I am sorry. I have repeated many times how much I believe a watch should just speak to you, if you think I am stupid enough to contradict myself every other post, well, sorry but actually no, I am not THAT stupid :D

And apologies if you took this personally, I just gave my honest opinion on ETA vs In-house, sorry if it felt like I was attacking someone's opinion. Not my objective.

Excellent post GS. I'd add that even if a given buyer has the funds to purchase a higher-end watch, it's probably not fiscally intelligent to do so unless he's also capable of easily shouldering the odd ~$1000 burden every once in a while. Especially one which he can safely predict to occur no more than once every seven years or so.

It's fine to care more about brands or aesthetics than movements of course; but buying a higher-end watch deliberately because it has a cheap, mass-produced movement is like buying an expensive car and wishing it had a cheap, mass-produced engine under the hood. It's not wrong and plenty of people do it, but it's generally viewed as odd by the enthusiast crowd because it displays a lack of appreciation for the fundemental facets of high-end design.

I say this as a huge fan of ETA who values their movements, and greately appreciates their contribution to the watch industry.

Much better said than in my post, even if the car analogy does not always work, here it's perfect. And, just for future references, I love ETA movements too - at the right price that is :D

StMeph

ETA movements are proven reliable anyway. I don't give two shits really about whether a watch is in-house or not. What matters to me is a proven workhorse movement, which comes secondary to the design, fit and finish on the outside. Hell, I may just may make my Hamilton my one and only watch. Just depends on where my future lies. I'd rather invest that $400 every 5 years than spend it on servicing an Omega or IWC.

Who cares what other people think about your watch. You buy and enjoy a watch for yourself, not for the people around.

First, no one is knocking your preference. You like what you like, and there's nothing wrong with it. And it's not a matter of ETA being unreliable; they are reliable, but mass produced.

But as you profess interest in high-end luxury, and as GalacticSushiman clarified, one of the hallmarks of true high-end luxury is an in-house movement. And it would be difficult to say that any of the movements used in the brands he listed are not going to last. They also have superlative design, fit, and finish.

I'm really not sure from where you are taking umbrage with his comments, unless you feel like your idea of high-end luxury was disparaged in being compared to the true top-end houses.

pwack

I am relatively agnostic on in-house or not. What I wanted with my Speedie (and with whatever nice watches come next for me) was 1) good design, and 2) a watch that will last until I can give it to my son, and still look awesome (and retain some value) 20 years from now when I do hand it over.

The good news is I have two boys, so I guess that means at least one more nice watch for me!

My first boy loves space and astronauts (probably not atypical for little boys), so the Speedie, in addition to looking cool as all hell and having great history, seemed perfect. My second boy is only 1, but so far his biggest joy in life is climbing anything he can. If this keeps up, I'll be shopping for a Explorer I.

I am relatively agnostic on in-house or not. What I wanted with my Speedie (and with whatever nice watches come next for me) was 1) good design, and 2) a watch that will last until I can give it to my son, and still look awesome (and retain some value) 20 years from now when I do hand it over.

The good news is I have two boys, so I guess that means at least one more nice watch for me!

My first boy loves space and astronauts (probably not atypical for little boys), so the Speedie, in addition to looking cool as all hell and having great history, seemed perfect. My second boy is only 1, but so far his biggest joy in life is climbing anything he can. If this keeps up, I'll be shopping for a Explorer I.

So where is this pic of your son sporting your Speedy like a boss? :)

What a great philosophy, as Patek says 'you never own a watch, you merely look after it for the next generation'... Bravo.

When I meant high end, I didn't mean AP, PP, FP Journe and the likes. Those are considered prestigious, though maybe I shouldn't have said 'luxury'. I assumed there was entry/middle/high end luxury watch brands, and then there's the prestigious.

StMeph

When I meant high end, I didn't mean AP, PP, FP Journe and the likes. Those are considered prestigious, though maybe I shouldn't have said 'luxury'. I assumed there was entry/middle/high end luxury watch brands, and then there's the prestigious.

That would be an easy miscommunication, especially if you're new to the scene, but for someone that frequents WUS -- as you've noted before in this thread -- it's assumed that you are referring to the same thing, because these are well-defined adjectives used in a common association. Your personal designations are lost on others who are assuming you're aware of the pre-defined terms.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/

That's just what high-end is, to WISs.

Or maybe it's just all subjective? Even on WUS, you won't find everyone agreeing on what's considered entry/middle/high end and prestigious brands. There are countless threads discussing the same topic.

Sane_Man

Such a good post, man. This is why I love watches!

Aske

That's awesome. It's incredible to think of your children and grandchildren recalling the watches you wore before handing them down, and feeling inextricably linked to you by memories imbued in the timepiece.

pwack

Such a good post, man. This is why I love watches!

That's awesome. It's incredible to think of your children and grandchildren recalling the watches you wore before handing them down, and feeling inextricably linked to you by memories imbued in the timepiece.

Thanks.

The big question I have: what if my wife and I have another kid and its a girl?

So far, my solution is a Rolex Air King with an arabic 3-6-9 dial. They are 34mm. It looks a touch small on me, but not too bad, and I'd guess it woudl work on a grown woman as well. Plus, it has a cool, old-school '50s vibe that I really dig.

Oyster-Perpetual-Air-King-Steel-14000_5377_F.jpg

Thanks.

So far, my solution is a Rolex Air King with an arabic 3-6-9 dial. They are 34mm. It looks a touch small on me, but not too bad, and I'd guess it woudl work on a grown woman as well. Plus, it has a cool, old-school '50s vibe that I really dig.

If I may, you could offer a nice woman watch model to your wife for her to (eventually if she wants to) give it to your daughter at some point?

Your (potential) daughter will be attracted to it much more if she grows up seeing her mom wearing it, whereas if she sees it on your wrist she may not develops the same feeling.

(I am thinking of heirloom too, I gave it a bit of thought in the last months :D)

Or maybe it's just all subjective? Even on WUS, you won't find everyone agreeing on what's considered entry/middle/high end and prestigious brands. There are countless threads discussing the same topic.

Of course there are debates on which watch/brand goes where, but everybody agrees that a true high end is never equipped with an ETA, no questions.

JYabbz

Neo Member

You can say that. I love their wide range of styles and most of them are within my price range.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see a few shots of the Pan Europ. I'm still mad that I missed out on the L.E. with the blue dial, would match the new car perfectly ;)

The Ventura is on my "watch to won before I die" list as well, such an iconic design.

Unforutanetly I do not yet own a Pan Europ, mostly will get one next year. I probably will pass on The BLUE Pan Europ LE as its going for retail or more for a used one when you get either the silver or black version for around $1000 (grey market).

Ventura is one of those watches that has a rich history, I can't believe not many people have the watch. Luckily I got mine near mint for $400 for the LE model and love it.l The Hamilton Boulton looks interesting as well.

pwack

If I may, you could offer a nice woman watch model to your wife for her to (eventually if she wants to) give it to your daughter at some point?

Your (potential) daughter will be attracted to it much more if she grows up seeing her mom wearing it, whereas if she sees it on your wrist she may not develops the same feeling

(I am thinking of heirloom too, I gave it a bit of thought in the last months.

Clearly, that is the right answer. I'd like to think I would have gotten there myself some day. :)

I also know that Mrs. Pwack would love a cartier Santos Demoiselle. (Sp?)

nitewulf

guess you like Nixons?

for me, i think pretty much what galacticsushiman is saying, i agree with. to get my money, you have to show me why your product is worth it. which is why i will never buy another designer watch like Diesel again. back in the day i did it because i did not know better.

this is not a knock against ETA at all BTW, i definitely love the Ventura design and do plan to pick up a Jazzmaster or a Khaki eventually, and i am waiting for the Tissot Couturier Small Second to hit the market. its just that, if the brand is licensing a mass made movement, i do not think they should charge 5 figures, unless its diamond encrusted. on the other hand, if its reasonably priced and looks good, why not!

also, its incredible that you can get a Glashutte Original Perpetual Calendar for around $10,000! i think this has become my next grail watch to get. these are also gifts to myself after major milestones mind you, not everyday purchases.

JYabbz

Neo Member
Got this on the mail incoming Citizen BN0088 from the WUS sales forum. $140 shipped for a lightly used watch. Beats buying new any day.

1102554d1369877304-incoming-what-have-you-got-mail-part-3-bn0088-03e-5.jpg

guess you like Nixons?

for me, i think pretty much what galacticsushiman is saying, i agree with. to get my money, you have to show me why your product is worth it. which is why i will never buy another designer watch like Diesel again. back in the day i did it because i did not know better.

this is not a knock against ETA at all BTW, i definitely love the Ventura design and do plan to pick up a Jazzmaster or a Khaki eventually, and i am waiting for the Tissot Couturier Small Second to hit the market. its just that, if the brand is licensing a mass made movement, i do not think they should charge 5 figures, unless its diamond encrusted. on the other hand, if its reasonably priced and looks good, why not!

also, its incredible that you can get a Glashutte Original Perpetual Calendar for around $10,000! i think this has become my next grail watch to get. these are also gifts to myself after major milestones mind you, not everyday purchases.

Amen, and I agree the GO is a good bang for buck, but there is even better: have a look at the Zenith Captain Winsor. Annual calendar Chrono, for $8.5k MSRP, that's absolute madness. And it's not like it does not look classy...

zenith_image.2516063.jpg

Mar

That's because german brands, like GO, do not come with the swiss brand tax. Perhaps they will in the future as the names get out there (and they are just as worthy), but for now you can pick up a german watch for a fraction the price of swiss for no reason other than historical perception.

As for ETA, I have no problem with it. Any true watch enthusiast knows that ETA turns up in even the most prestigious watch manufacturer such as PP. To say it's garbage is to pronounce your ignorance.

Fixed1979

Since everyone is arguing over movements I'm going to drop a quartz bomb!

What's the general consensus on the Seiko Astron? I had no desire or care to look at quartz watches but as a bit of a gadget nerd it really caught my eye, and I do like the look of it.

And I really want a Speedmaster now, thanks for posting all those pictures on the last page! Besides the fact that I think they're really good looking watches I've been just searching about them and reading up on them. Now to decide if I want to go old or new on them...I haven't really gotten to much into the different movements they've used throughout the years, but it sounds like each one is held in pretty good regard.

pwack

And I really want a Speedmaster now, thanks for posting all those pictures on the last page! Besides the fact that I think they're really good looking watches I've been just searching about them and reading up on them. Now to decide if I want to go old or new on them...I haven't really gotten to much into the different movements they've used throughout the years, but it sounds like each one is held in pretty good regard.

Here's a great article on the current Speedmaster Pro base movement, as well as an insightful description about the geometry of the dial. http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-364597/

There are plenty of very lightly used Speedmasters on the market, with four resellers who have a lot of very very good reviews (3 on eBay, one independent). If you are interested, I can pass the names along.

JYabbz

Neo Member
I think its time for me to stop buying afforables (< $500) and start focusing on these 2 and maybe a black Pan Europ. I feel if I get these 2 I might be able quench my watch itch for a very very long time.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute to 1931

1000w

Cartier Tank Solo

rakish-watch-for-work-cartier-tank-solo.jpg

Black Pan Europ

Pan_Europ_Black.jpg

Fixed1979

Here's a great article on the current Speedmaster Pro base movement, as well as an insightful description about the geometry of the dial. http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-364597/

There are plenty of very lightly used Speedmasters on the market, with four resellers who have a lot of very very good reviews (3 on eBay, one independent). If you are interested, I can pass the names along.

Thanks for the link, I'll dig through that today.

I'd still be at least few months off from making an actual purchase, but I'll definitely post or PM you when I decide to take the plunge.

Since everyone is arguing over movements I'm going to drop a quartz bomb!

What's the general consensus on the Seiko Astron? I had no desire or care to look at quartz watches but as a bit of a gadget nerd it really caught my eye, and I do like the look of it.

On the Astron: if you are a frequent traveler, definitely worth looking. In terms of pure watch geekyness, the fact that it automatically sync with the current timezone is quite a feat. Still, I am always quite cold for quartz watches, especially when they cost a lot, but the Astron is the exception :)

on the SPM: As I have already said, I am a Cal. 321 guy, but there are a lot of other fantastic model/movements. I would keep a handwound though, just by principle :)

Clearly, that is the right answer. I'd like to think I would have gotten there myself some day. :)

I also know that Mrs. Pwack would love a cartier Santos Demoiselle. (Sp?)

Mrs. Pwack has fantastic taste, and good luck with this plan :)
Mrs. Sushiman is sporting a nice vintage Zenith from the 60s', she did not like the handwinding at first but now she appreciates it :)

I think its time for me to stop buying afforables (< $500) and start focusing on these 2 and maybe a black Pan Europ. I feel if I get these 2 I might be able quench my watch itch for a very very long time.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute to 1931

Cartier Tank Solo

Black Pan Europ

I love both, and I have to admit I have a soft spot for the JLC, the longest lasting watch model ever... I would find it a bit 'redundant' to buy both though, dressy/classic/square shaped/small... they share too much IMO.

I don't know much about the Pan Europ to be honest, I'll have a look out of curiosity.

JYabbz

Neo Member
I love both, and I have to admit I have a soft spot for the JLC, the longest lasting watch model ever... I would find it a bit 'redundant' to buy both though, dressy/classic/square shaped/small... they share too much IMO.

I don't know much about the Pan Europ to be honest, I'll have a look out of curiosity.

I don't know but for some reason I am really drawn into both watches for their simplicity. I have a collection of 20+ watches ranging from chronos, divers, anything casual really. What I am really weak in is the dress watch category as I only have a Ventura. I do agree with you that both watches share a lot of similarities but I wanted something that I do not already have and wanted something timeless. I can actually see myself wearing both the Tank and Reverso @ least once a week or making it a priority in wearing them both. I don't know what it is about these watches but they just say grail to me. I think this is the only time I am willing to pay more for the name and history vs the overall quality of the watch. To each his own I guess.

I don't know but for some reason I am really drawn into both watches for their simplicity. I have a collection of 20+ watches ranging from chronos, divers, anything casual really. What I am really weak in is the dress watch category as I only have a Ventura. I do agree with you that both watches share a lot of similarities but I wanted something that I do not already have and wanted something timeless. I can actually see myself wearing both the Tank and Reverso @ least once a week or making it a priority in wearing them both. I don't know what it is about these watches but they just say grail to me. I think this is the only time I am willing to pay more for the name and history vs the overall quality of the watch. To each his own I guess.

Totally makes sense, I did not know about the rest of your collection! I still think they are a bit too similar for my taste, but you are right in that it must be judged within the context of the full collection, and if they both tell you 'You need me!' I guess it's a sign :)

Thanks.

Oyster-Perpetual-Air-King-Steel-14000_5377_F.jpg

I don't think it's a problem for a girl to wear a man's watch as long as it's not too big. Anything around 34mm to even 36mm should be fine. I wear men's watches and have fairly narrow wrists and haven't found a problem. I wear 34mm Hammy as one of my "dress watches".

The Rolex Air King would look great as a woman's watch.

Top Bottom