• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

nitewulf

Amen, and I agree the GO is a good bang for buck, but there is even better: have a look at the Zenith Captain Winsor. Annual calendar Chrono, for $8.5k MSRP, that's absolute madness. And it's not like it does not look classy...

zenith_image.2516063.jpg

This is wonderful, but the kickass thing about the GO is that it actually keeps track of leap years as well...so its perpetual, not annual. the next cheapest perpetual that i know about is the JLC Master Ultrathin at 20k.

though i did find another after searching...

http://www.nivrel.com/en/collection/heritage/nivrel-heritage-perpetuel.html

the Nivrel can be found for around 6K...which is a pretty great deal, considering.

Aske

On the Astron: if you are a frequent traveler, definitely worth looking. In terms of pure watch geekyness, the fact that it automatically sync with the current timezone is quite a feat. Still, I am always quite cold for quartz watches, especially when they cost a lot, but the Astron is the exception :)

I don't know if this applies to the Astron, but many of those atomic synch watches can be a pain, depending on where you live. I'm in the market for a G-shock (need a hardy quartz beater to wear at the gym), and have been trying to choose between a pair of 8900A-1 models with and without atomic synch. Reading that many people had to leave the watch next to a window with the antenna correctly aligned every night, and that timekeeping without a successful synch seems to be worse on these models than on those for which it's not a feature, I was pretty thoroughly dissuaded. As I say, no idea if that applies to the Aston, but it's true of the Casio and Citizen multiband watches.

I don't know if this applies to the Astron, but many of those atomic synch watches can be a pain, depending on where you live. I'm in the market for a G-shock (need a hardy quartz beater to wear at the gym), and have been trying to choose between a pair of 8900A-1 models with and without atomic synch. Reading that many people had to leave the watch next to a window with the antenna correctly aligned every night, and that timekeeping without a successful synch seems to be worse on these models than on those for which it's not a feature, I was pretty thoroughly dissuaded. As I say, no idea if that applies to the Aston, but it's true of the Casio and Citizen multiband watches.

I actually did a search and a review does talk about the issue in a very closed and crowded environment with big buildings (Manhattan in the example), but they said it was working perfectly in all the other places they tested it in.

I used to have one of those Junghans Mega 1000 in the past, fun radio controlled watch, and I had no issues whatsoever, I imagine it depends on the use and model :)

710608d1337205471-junghans-mega-1000-masters-time-junghans-mega-1000-026-451344-5.jpg

This is wonderful, but the kickass thing about the GO is that it actually keeps track of leap years as well...so its perpetual, not annual. the next cheapest perpetual that i know about is the JLC Master Ultrathin at 20k.

though i did find another after searching...

http://www.nivrel.com/en/collection/heritage/nivrel-heritage-perpetuel.html

the Nivrel can be found for around 6K...which is a pretty great deal, considering.

Yep, I know, the perpetual calendar movement has something so impressive/crazy about it, it sits in a very specific place in the horological world, I agree with you.

But what fascinates me in the Zenith is the Chrono and the Annual calendar El Primero embarks. And honestly, I am ok advancing the date of my watch every 4 years :)

Still, the GO is an absolute masterpiece, and a great grail in that it has tremendous value for money, great history, and top notch craftmanship, I will surely not try to convince you otherwise especially given that I just bought one (and with full satisfaction after 2 months) :D

(just took a look at the Nivrel, meh, the dial is a bit boring IMHO, definitely the GO outclasses it in everyway)
(oh and it has a modified ETA 2892, and ETAs are the worst)
(that last line was a bait, I AM NOT SERIOUS JASON :D)

JYabbz

Neo Member
Both the Nomos Orion and Tangente watch along with the Longines Legend Diver (no date) has really piqued my interest. My only problem with Nomos is the size @35mm but Nomos does have the 38mm version but at an extra cost :(.

Nomos Orion

nomos_10.jpg

Nomos Tangente

Nomos2005.jpg

Longines Legend Diver

longines-legend-diver.JPG

The Steinhart Chronometer II looks great also for around $500

1052145d1366273006-steinhart-marine-chronometer-vs-seiko-alpinist-sarb017-possible-change-mini-grail-steinhart-marine-chronometer-ii-premium-01.jpg

pwack

Ok all -- now I want a beater. Let's hear some suggestions!

Having cleaned house before my latest purchase, I have five watches at the moment, my Speedy, a PAM homage by Davidsen, my Sarb that I plan to sell, a Seiko stargate diver, and an old school G-Shock 5600.

The G is great for construction projects, etc. But what I want is something else for the weekends to wear to parks/playgrounds with the kids that can get beat up, but still looks slightly classier than the G. And is analog. And (don't hate me) is quartz, so I don't have to worry about winding and setting date and time (otherwise the Seiko diver would work). And is not too pricey ($300 or so, hopefully less than what I will get for the Sarb).

My thoughts are Citizen nighthawk/skyhawk or Seiko BFK. Other opinions?

I realize I'm essentially asking everyone to chime in with their fav quartz watch under $300, which is a huge universe to pull from.

Als0, part of me just wants to get a G-Shock frogman and skip analog and classy. But I think it would look pretty huge on me.

Fellow watch geek here and WUS affordables forum poster here but not only did I not know this thread existed but I forgot I had an account here. But anyway, if anyone needs helps on sub < $500-1000 watches, I am here to help.

Let me post a picture of one of my favorite watches:

Citizen Calibre 2100

1094169d1369229914-_______%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Awruw-wednesday-05-22-2013%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A___________-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369229914.651591.jpg

I've got the titanium version of this. Great watch.

Ok all -- now I want a beater. Let's hear some suggestions!

Having cleaned house before my latest purchase, I have five watches at the moment, my Speedy, a PAM homage by Davidsen, my Sarb that I plan to sell, a Seiko stargate diver, and an old school G-Shock 5600.

The G is great for construction projects, etc. But what I want is something else for the weekends to wear to parks/playgrounds with the kids that can get beat up, but still looks slightly classier than the G. And is analog. And (don't hate me) is quartz, so I don't have to worry about winding and setting date and time (otherwise the Seiko diver would work). And is not too pricey ($300 or so, hopefully less than what I will get for the Sarb).

My thoughts are Citizen nighthawk/skyhawk or Seiko BFK. Other opinions?

I realize I'm essentially asking everyone to chime in with their fav quartz watch under $300, which is a huge universe to pull from.

Als0, part of me just wants to get a G-Shock frogman and skip analog and classy. But I think it would look pretty huge on me.

I am probably not the best person for this range, but here are a few ideas:

Lexon from some fun French designers

lm102-orange.jpg

Alessi AL18001, a bit original

41MFcLSfM-L._alessi-unisex-al18001-tanto-x-cambiare-brown-strap-watch,0,0,0,0,arial,0,0,0,0_SX500_.jpg

And as you said, a BFK on leather can really shine too

810430d1346683891-quartz-classier-looking-diver-under-%24300-554569_10151059094222939_1184637042_n.jpg

Have fun!

edit: by the way, in the same genre as the 'what are they wearing?' threads on WUS, does anyone have an idea of what Evilore is sporting in the Perfect Little World trailer? I could only see glimpses of the bracelet... It could be the official NeoGAF watch :D

JYabbz

Neo Member

Citizen BM6400
Citizen Nighthawk
Citizen BN0085
Citizen Ecozilla
Citizen BL5250
Seiko SNA411
Timex Weekender
Obris Morgan Branco (auto)
Maranez Layan (auto)

Off the top of my head but way too much in this price range.

Nice Rolex.

My store manager today was saying how he bought a Rolex 30 years ago, and he's never had it serviced. He says it still runs perfect. I couldn't believe it.

Wow, I don't think I've ever truly hated any watch until just now, it actually makes me uncomfortable to even look at.

LOL, yeah this 'regulator-ish' dial design falls into the Marmite category (Either love it or hate it :D).

I am usually not the biggest fan, but for something casual in a sandbox at a parc with your kids, I guess it could work :)

But again, I am pretty sure most of timepiece gaffers are much more knowledgeable than me in this range/genre, so come on watchgaf!

Midas

I've been eyeing Nomos' Zürich for a while, I could afford it but the price tag still feels a little bit too much at 2980 EUR. Just wanted to know if anyone know of any other watches with the same kind of design with a price tag that's a bit lower? Maybe in the 1000-1500 EUR price range? Maybe lower?

Blu10

I've been eyeing Nomos' Zürich for a while, I could afford it but the price tag still feels a little bit too much at 2980 EUR. Just wanted to know if anyone know of any other watches with the same kind of design with a price tag that's a bit lower? Maybe in the 1000-1500 EUR price range? Maybe lower?

I was just on jomashop sand saw this oris ( http://m.jomashop.com/oris-watch-396-7580-4051.html ) that is pretty similar, while I was looking for a diver that was 40mm ir smaller, which is just about impossible to find.

Fixed1979

You can check the Stowa Antea out as well.

Are we talking about an affordable world timer, or just a nice mechanical timepiece with a bauhaus/minimalistic design?

nitewulf

you could go for a Club Automat which is similar and much cheaper.

f0rk

What sets Nomos apart from Stowa for the diehard watch dudes? On the face of it (boom boom) the watches seem very similar with a big price difference.

What sets Nomos apart from Stowa for the diehard watch dudes? On the face of it (boom boom) the watches seem very similar with a big price difference.

Everything.

I guess Stowa lovers will hate me, and others will point that I sound like a broken record - and I don't want that :D - so I'll remain brief:

From a historic standpoint, from a craftmanship standpoint, when it comes to where the watches are made, from a 'industry recognition' standpoint (prizes...), and most importantly from a 'movement' standpoint, Nomos is leagues above Stowa.

Please don't misinterpret me, I really like Stowa for its affordability and distribution model for instance, but it's just that Nomos is, in my humble opinion, the best quality on every level in its price range. And I would predict that the surge in price we saw on Nomos watches earlier this year will likely be followed by others if the company sticks to his current philosophy.

nitewulf

They may look similar at a glance but they are pretty different. Personally I like the offset small seconds design, and all the Stowas that have it are manual wind, all the automatic Stowas have a central seconds hand.

All Stowas use licensed movements, used to be ETAs, now I think they switched to Unitas because ETAs are being supplied less by Swatch.

Nomos use all in-house made movements.

Let's compare the two most similar looking watches. The KS 41:

492713d1348937872-endlich-stowa-antea-ks-41-2.jpg

and the Nomos Tangente:

441082d1339941689-wer-baut-uhren-in-der-design-richtung-nomos-tangente-nomos-tangente-2009.jpg

The Stowa is around $1100, the Tangente is $1750, both manual winding. Beyond these two models, the Stowa doesn't really offer a similar looking watch, if you are in the market for a automatic watch with a small seconds, for example.

For the Nomos, you are paying for the man-hours it takes them to assemble the watch, keeping in mind the movements are all designed and made in house. The Stowas use licensed movements, so they really only make the case. So you are really paying for the case and their assembly cost.

It's probably a matter of personal taste whether you want to pay the extra cost for an in-house movement, but I think it's worth it. You can think of it in another way, why are the Stowas so expensive, since the movements aren't that expensive (~ $150)? So maybe the Stowas are overpriced?

Fixed1979

They may look similar at a glance but they are pretty different. Personally I like the offset small seconds design, and all the Stowas that have it are manual wind, all the automatic Stowas have a central seconds hand.

All Stowas use licensed movements, used to be ETAs, now I think they switched to Unitas because ETAs are being supplied less by Swatch.

Nomos use all in-house made movements.

Let's compare the two most similar looking watches. The KS 41:

and the Nomos Tangente:

The Stowa is around $1100, the Tangente is $1750, both manual winding. Beyond these two models, the Stowa doesn't really offer a similar looking watch, if you are in the market for a automatic watch with a small seconds, for example.

For the Nomos, you are paying for the man-hours it takes them to assemble the watch, keeping in mind the movements are all designed and made in house. The Stowas use licensed movements, so they really only make the case. So you are really paying for the case and their assembly cost.

It's probably a matter of personal taste whether you want to pay the extra cost for an in-house movement, but I think it's worth it. You can think of it in another way, why are the Stowas so expensive, since the movements aren't that expensive (~ $150)? So maybe the Stowas are overpriced?

Good post. I did want to mention that Shows are still using ETA as well as Unitas. I have a Fleiger hand winding shipping soon (fingers crossed) that uses Unitas and a TESTAF on order which uses ETA. It may also also be worth mentioning that these common movements to hold some advantages, such as a lower purchase price, lower service price as they can be serviced by most watch stores. That being said there is certainly some mistique about having an in house movement specific to the brand of watch.

I am curious as to how much added cost there is for a company to supply their own movement. Once they pay for the design (R&D) what's their actual production cost to have them mass produced for a line of watches, and are they actually produced in house or contacted out? This isn't too argue your point, just curiosity.

I know my next watch will be an in house movement, most likely an Omega.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Everything.

I guess Stowa lovers will hate me, and others will point that I sound like a broken record - and I don't want that :D - so I'll remain brief:

From a historic standpoint, from a craftmanship standpoint, when it comes to where the watches are made, from a 'industry recognition' standpoint (prizes...), and most importantly from a 'movement' standpoint, Nomos is leagues above Stowa.

Please don't misinterpret me, I really like Stowa for its affordability and distribution model for instance, but it's just that Nomos is, in my humble opinion, the best quality on every level in its price range. And I would predict that the surge in price we saw on Nomos watches earlier this year will likely be followed by others if the company sticks to his current philosophy.

I've been researching for a new watch and these two companies are on my list. And my hours of researching and asking around lead me to agree with this, as similar comments are made almost universally. I covet the Nomos BADLY, but in the end, I opted for two watches instead of the one Nomos. So I got a Damasko DA36 and a Stowa marine. The Nomos is next though.

f0rk

I was thinking about what watch I'd be interested in next time I had the money to really treat myself. The Stowa had caught my eye a while ago, partly because of the price, but Nomos does seem very desirable. Also got my eye on an Omega Seamaster... I guess the difference in price makes the decision depend on circumstances at the time of purchase.

Currently I have a quartz Longines Hydro Conquest and a Tag Link Calibre 6 so I would like something in contrast to those

I am super excited for Sunday! Get to go try on new Sinns, Nomos, and Dornbluths!

PICS, VINE AND ALL!

Have fun mate!

And Watchbuy, please come to Montreal next time :)

...In the past few weeks I came to discover a (fantastic) independant manufacturer called Habring. Less than 100 watches made each year, all touched by the hand of their master watchmaker, who used to work for IWC. Heavily modified ETA with interesting complication/modifications, great verstatile designs, and honest prices given the quality... Only downside IMHO is the thickness.

As an example, here is The Doppel 3 model:

image.php

Thoughts WatchGaf?

misterchef

Neo Member
So I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the land of automatic watches and I've been looking at some entry level ones with relatively simple faces.

This Hamilton caught my eye at my local watch dealer (Jazzmaster model#H38655515) because of its simple white background and additional second clock. Buying from him would be $650 cash, which is not much of a discount to online (though, I don't know if in-store should even be cheaper), and its tax-free so that saves ~$50.

Is this a good value for entering into the land of automatics, or is there something else roughly around the same price-point ($500-700) that would be more highly recommended?

51ZYc2tZVcL.jpg

So I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the land of automatic watches and I've been looking at some entry level ones with relatively simple faces.

This Hamilton caught my eye at my local watch dealer (Jazzmaster model#H38655515) because of its simple white background and additional second clock. Buying from him would be $650 cash, which is not much of a discount to online (though, I don't know if in-store should even be cheaper), and its tax-free so that saves ~$50.

Is this a good value for entering into the land of automatics, or is there something else roughly around the same price-point ($500-700) that would be more highly recommended?

Welcome to the marvelous world of automatic watches, and to WatchGAF :)

First, excellent approach, start with entry level/simple designs to get accustomed to the item is a very commendable attitude.

Second, we could definitely propose a few alternatives for an affordable auto - Seiko, Orient, Tissot comes to mind - but honestly, Ham is in the same league as those, and therefore I would not say any of those is 'better' or should be 'avoided' at all cost - especially in this price range.
In 2 words, good choice :)

A few pieces of advice though, if I may:

- I think you can still bring your budget down to $400 and get a similar movement (ETA), with similar complications (date and small second), but it's a question of design and taste at this point.
- It's usually the other way around for pricing - internet is generally more affordable than retail. I am definitely not a specialist for Hammies, maybe Jason Ultimatum who sometimes posts here can help you as he owns one and did long research before jumping on the Hamilton bandwagon. But a quick search on the usual suspects (jomashop, amazon, longisland...) tells me this is a very competitive price indeed.
- Don't trust watch manufacturers in general when it comes to water resistance, in my experience only swim with real divers (I mean 100m+, not 50m)
- ENJOY YOUR TIMEPIECES!!

pwack

Those look all great. I especially like the Dornblüth even though it's a bit on the big side.

The details on the Dornbluths were great. Just uploaded a pic of a white dial one. The raised numerals were gorgeous.

Came away a big fan of the Dornbluth's and the Orion and Ludwig from Nomos.

JYabbz

Neo Member
The details on the Dornbluths were great. Just uploaded a pic of a white dial one. The raised numerals were gorgeous.

Came away a big fan of the Dornbluth's and the Orion and Ludwig from Nomos.

What is your opinion on the club? I've been looking at the Club Datum and it looks so simple yet elegant like the rest of the nomos watches. How were the lugs, too long?

pwack

What is your opinion on the club? I've been looking at the Club Datum and it looks so simple yet elegant like the rest of the nomos watches. How were the lugs, too long?

The proportions on the bezel seemed off to me, a little to baloonish. Also, I feel like the color in the minute track on the black face and on the hands on the white face was distracting. Overall, for that general style, I liked the Muhle I snapped a pic of better. Nice proportions between lugs and bezel, better color scheme in my opinon.

JYabbz

Neo Member
PWACK what are your thoughts on the Orion? Was that the 38mm version or the 35mm version? Also if you don't mind what is your wrist size?

pwack

PWACK what are your thoughts on the Orion? Was that the 38mm version or the 35mm version? Also if you don't mind what is your wrist size?

I really like it, even better than the Zurich, to which it is certainly similar (although a lot cheaper). Very clean and stylish, but the lugs and the indices and the gold make it feel less clinical than the Tangente/Tangomat to me.

The pics are of a 38, and my wrist is about 6.66-6.75 inches.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If anyone is interested in buying some Panerais in the NYC/NJ area for cheap (~6k), let me know. Looking to lighten the collection a bit. All are unworn, all 3 boxes, everything mint yadi dadi..

misterchef

Neo Member
Welcome to the marvelous world of automatic watches, and to WatchGAF :)

First, excellent approach, start with entry level/simple designs to get accustomed to the item is a very commendable attitude.

Second, we could definitely propose a few alternatives for an affordable auto - Seiko, Orient, Tissot comes to mind - but honestly, Ham is in the same league as those, and therefore I would not say any of those is 'better' or should be 'avoided' at all cost - especially in this price range.
In 2 words, good choice :)

A few pieces of advice though, if I may:

- I think you can still bring your budget down to $400 and get a similar movement (ETA), with similar complications (date and small second), but it's a question of design and taste at this point.
- It's usually the other way around for pricing - internet is generally more affordable than retail. I am definitely not a specialist for Hammies, maybe Jason Ultimatum who sometimes posts here can help you as he owns one and did long research before jumping on the Hamilton bandwagon. But a quick search on the usual suspects (jomashop, amazon, longisland...) tells me this is a very competitive price indeed.
- Don't trust watch manufacturers in general when it comes to water resistance, in my experience only swim with real divers (I mean 100m+, not 50m)
- ENJOY YOUR TIMEPIECES!!

Thank you for the very helpful post! I bit the bullet and bought the Hamilton. I found some similar lower-priced Seikos and Tissots, but for some reason the Hammie continued to draw me in. Kinda like love at first sight (is this how all of WATCHGAF feels?)

Anyways, I'm planning to use this as my daily watch at work, I'll update my thoughts after a few months of using it.

Aske

The newest addition and my first with this company

Bulova 98B153

Blame the Razr and my poor photography skills for the quality.

I love the tech in these watches. The smoothness of the sweep is beautiful to behold.

Thank you for the very helpful post! I bit the bullet and bought the Hamilton. I found some similar lower-priced Seikos and Tissots, but for some reason the Hammie continued to draw me in. Kinda like love at first sight (is this how all of WATCHGAF feels?)

Anyways, I'm planning to use this as my daily watch at work, I'll update my thoughts after a few months of using it.

Yes, you know it's love when a watch sings to you. Congrats!

I am thinking about picking up my first kinetic watch to add to my collection. Anyone have any suggestions for a $0-$300 price range?

I have been sort-of leaning towards this Seiko watch, Link, but I am a bit worried about the size. I have skinny wrists and 42 mm is currently my largest watch's diameter. That is the type of style I am looking for.

Fixed1979

So the Stowa "experience" continues. 3 weeks and a day since they confirmed payment on my 6498 handwind and no shipping confirmation yet...

I did however get an e-mail about my TESTAF T01 saying it was delayed until late August (originally dated mid July), it sounds like their not getting their movements on time...I know Swatch was cutting back on production so that may have something to do with it. They were supposed to get them the first week of May and now they're not schedule to arrive until the end of July.

Le sigh.

Glad we were able to help!

But this help comes at a price, as you can imagine, you HAVE to publish a wrist pic as soon as you receive your Ham! Enjoy!

I am thinking about picking up my first kinetic watch to add to my collection. Anyone have any suggestions for a $0-$300 price range?

I have been sort-of leaning towards this Seiko watch, Link, but I am a bit worried about the size. I have skinny wrists and 42 mm is currently my largest watch's diameter. That is the type of style I am looking for.

Pure curiosity, why a kinetic? Any reason to choose this movement in particular?

So the Stowa "experience" continues. 3 weeks and a day since they confirmed payment on my 6498 handwind and no shipping confirmation yet...

I did however get an e-mail about my TESTAF T01 saying it was delayed until late August (originally dated mid July), it sounds like their not getting their movements on time...I know Swatch was cutting back on production so that may have something to do with it. They were supposed to get them the first week of May and now they're not schedule to arrive until the end of July.

Le sigh.

Swatch is supposed to cut back on shipment since 2009 :) I just think Stowa is a victim of its design + price positioning :)

Blu10

I was actually just at the Seiko store yesterday (bought my 3rd watch in as many months) and I tried that watch on. It is huge. I also suffer from small wrist syndrome, and was looking at dive watches. All of their kinetic dive watches are quite large. I ended up getting the orange monster and I'm very happy with the size and look.

Pure curiosity, why a kinetic? Any reason to choose this movement in particular?
I own watches that are powered/keep time with various mechanisms, i.e. battery/quartz, solar/quartz, etc. Kinetic is a type I do not own yet and I always found the tech behind it pretty awesome.

I was actually just at the Seiko store yesterday (bought my 3rd watch in as many months) and I tried that watch on. It is huge. I also suffer from small wrist syndrome, and was looking at dive watches. All of their kinetic dive watches are quite large. I ended up getting the orange monster and I'm very happy with the size and look.
Thanks for the advice. I did not even know they had stores, I will have to see if there is one in my area.

Edit: Ah there are retailers who sell them and there are a few near me.

pwack

So, I've sold off my SARB! Having sold off 4 watches in the last few months, my collection as it currently stands is as follows:

Dress watch: I wanted a classic black band/white face dress watch. After playing around at the Watchbuys event, I decided to buy a Rodina homage to try out the design a little more on a daily basis. Went with this:

$T2eC16J,!)sE9swm(v0lBRgk(w4Jzg~~60_35.JPG

"Sport" (aka, business casual) watch: My Speedy.

Weekend/causal watch: I have a Panerai homage made by DavidSen; simple sandwich dial with small seconds. Just ordered a nice leather strap from Kain Heritage.

Special purpose watches: I have a Seiko Stargate diver for beaches/swimming, and a G-Shock 5600 for construction/biking/sports/hazardous environments.

Now it is time to figure out what is next. I have a feeling it will be either a real Panerai (I'm a sucker for the design), a Dornbluth, a real Nomos, or a Datejust or Air King. But at those prices, it will be a while till I pull the trigger on anything!

Top Bottom