• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

I own watches that are powered/keep time with various mechanisms, i.e. battery/quartz, solar/quartz, etc. Kinetic is a type I do not own yet and I always found the tech behind it pretty awesome.

Thanks for the advice. I did not even know they had stores, I will have to see if there is one in my area.

Edit: Ah there are retailers who sell them and there are a few near me.

Technically, Battery/Solar and Kinetic are all the exact same movement, with a different energy source, and kinetic is basically applying a Perrelet invention of 1770 on a quartz.

I won't interfere, it's your choice obviously, but if you have the chance, take a look at auto/hand wound movements and how they work, where they come from, who invented them and why, it might be of interest to you :)

So, I've sold off my SARB! Having sold off 4 watches in the last few months, my collection as it currently stands is as follows:

Dress watch: I wanted a classic black band/white face dress watch. After playing around at the Watchbuys event, I decided to buy a Rodina homage to try out the design a little more on a daily basis. Went with this:

"Sport" (aka, business casual) watch: My Speedy.

Weekend/causal watch: I have a Panerai homage made by DavidSen; simple sandwich dial with small seconds. Just ordered a nice leather strap from Kain Heritage.

Special purpose watches: I have a Seiko Stargate diver for beaches/swimming, and a G-Shock 5600 for construction/biking/sports/hazardous environments.

Now it is time to figure out what is next. I have a feeling it will be either a real Panerai (I'm a sucker for the design), a Dornbluth, a real Nomos, or a Datejust or Air King. But at those prices, it will be a while till I pull the trigger on anything!

Given that you already have a 'grail' when it comes to Sport/Casual, I would go dress on the next (and not tool like Panerai), just a suggestion :)

And then, Nomos is exceptional and Dornbluth is great too, but have also a look at GOs, they rock :)

(oh, and just my very personal opinion, but stay away from the Air King :D)

Seiko's LE Superior SSA059:
SEIKO_SUPERIOR_SSA059_DIAL4.jpg
Cool looking watch; automatic too. Almost like an alternative to G-Shocks.

http://wornandwound.com/2013/06/19/seiko-superior-ssa059-review/

I'm looking for an affordable watch that satisfies three criteria: automatic, chrono, white face.

This Tissot seems to hit the bullet on the head for me.

Any other suggestions?

I'm looking for an affordable watch that satisfies three criteria: automatic, chrono, white face.

This Tissot seems to hit the bullet on the head for me.

Any other suggestions?

Honestly, I am not sure there are other suggestions that fit the 3 criteria in the exact same price range...

I would have suggested a SEAGULL 1963 or a POLJOT STRELA 3133, for the cachet if hand wound were also included, but in automatic, I don't have anything on top of my head.

Maybe a Hamilton Khaki Field if you are ok with something a bit more sporty? It has an advantage in terms of size if you happen to have a small wrist.

1288255329_large_Khaki_Field_KingAutoChrono_H64656351.jpg

JYabbz

Neo Member
I agree with the Strela and 1963 and I have both. The Strela's price has gone up to $500 over the last year while the 1963 can be had for $250 shipped. With that in mind, I would go for the 1963 and save the rest on a better watch down the line.

Honestly, I am not sure there are other suggestions that fit the 3 criteria in the exact same price range...

I would have suggested a SEAGULL 1963 or a POLJOT STRELA 3133, for the cachet if hand wound were also included, but in automatic, I don't have anything on top of my head.

Maybe a Hamilton Khaki Field if you are ok with something a bit more sporty? It has an advantage in terms of size if you happen to have a small wrist.

1288255329_large_Khaki_Field_KingAutoChrono_H64656351.jpg

I agree with the Strela and 1963 and I have both. The Strela's price has gone up to $500 over the last year while the 1963 can be had for $250 shipped. With that in mind, I would go for the 1963 and save the rest on a better watch down the line.

Not a huge fan of that Hamilton, but I really dig the Seagull 1963 I'm seeing on their website. Where can I get it for $250?

No wrist shot... I am not sure...

Sorry it took me so long, I don't frequent the OT as much as the Gaming side, and with E3 on, missed your post for the longest time!

I was checking out the new layout of GAF and clicked on subscriptions, which reminded me I should post the picture. I actually took this photo before E3, but just remembered I hadn't posted it yet!

Will post photo of VC soon, my wife is visiting her parents in HK and the keys of the watch drawer are with her.

q1GXqyC.jpg

Sorry it took me so long, I don't frequent the OT as much as the Gaming side, and with E3 on, missed your post for the longest time!

I was checking out the new layout of GAF and clicked on subscriptions, which reminded me I should post the picture. I actually took this photo before E3, but just remembered I hadn't posted it yet!

Will post photo of VC soon, my wife is visiting her parents in HK and the keys of the watch drawer are with her.

Ahah, I recognize I should have trusted you in the first place, you fully deserve your nickname, and let me humbly congratulate you and your dad for your fantastic timepieces.

But now I really want to see the Overseas and, if I may, a movement shot on the Lange would be fantastic :):)

Sorry again, and wear them in good health!

StMeph

A really magnificent watch. Wear it in good health.

#ALSnoDRM

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally got around to posting pic of new watch:

Love this watch so much, though not sold on the strap as much.

I still have a Stowa marine on order, but also still want a Nomos... one of these days.

JYabbz

Neo Member
The Sea-Gull comes in 2 sizes 38mm and 42mm. I myself have the 38mm and wears very nicely on my 6.75 wrist. Most of the times, the strap is garbage so make sure to budget a decent strap for one.

Ahah, I recognize I should have trusted you in the first place, you fully deserve your nickname, and let me humbly congratulate you and your dad for your fantastic timepieces.

But now I really want to see the Overseas and, if I may, a movement shot on the Lange would be fantastic :):)

Sorry again, and wear them in good health!

Thanks GalacticSushiman and StMeph!

Could you explain what you mean by a movement shot? The back side perhaps? Sorry i'm not too up in the terminology, I just like aesthetically pleasing watches! :p

pwack

Could you explain what you mean by a movement shot? The back side perhaps? Sorry i'm not too up in the terminology, I just like aesthetically pleasing watches! :p

Rather than explain, just send me the watch by FedEx. I'll take pictures and get the watch back to you in a few months.

And yep -- the back is what they want.

Here

The Tissot is still a very fine choice, especially if automatic is important to you, but the Seagull 1963 has a history, and an original design to die for...

Thanks for the link. It is gorgeous: I love the rounded glass face and the slightly retro Commie styling is amazing. However, it says 0 atm for water resistance. Is it not water resistance at all? Obviously it's not a diver, but I hesitate to spend a couple bills on something that might get wrecked by a spilled drink.

The Sea-Gull comes in 2 sizes 38mm and 42mm. I myself have the 38mm and wears very nicely on my 6.75 wrist. Most of the times, the strap is garbage so make sure to budget a decent strap for one.

Last time I went to a dept. store to have some links removed, the girl at the counter commented on my "dainty, girlish" wrists. :/

As pointed out by Pwack, a photo of the movement on the back of the watch would be fantastic, we do not have high end that often here on gaf, let's enjoy :)

#ALSnoDRM

Only on NeoGAF Timepiece thread :D

Thanks for the link. It is gorgeous: I love the rounded glass face and the slightly retro Commie styling is amazing. However, it says 0 atm for water resistance. Is it not water resistance at all? Obviously it's not a diver, but I hesitate to spend a couple bills on something that might get wrecked by a spilled drink.

Last time I went to a dept. store to have some links removed, the girl at the counter commented on my "dainty, girlish" wrists. :/

So, there are countless stories of people damaging a watch swimming with a 5ATM watch (never do that), and nearly nothing about spilling water on a 0ATM one. Why? Because it NEVER happens :) Even if it did 0ATM means 'allergic to water' not 'will break down at first rain' :)

Given your wrist size, go for the 38mm, if you ask me no watch should be more than 40mm in the first place :)

Finally ordered my first mechanical watch:

Victorinox211_1-ebfce.jpg

Victorinox AirBoss Mechanical

Really wanted a Hamilton, but couldn't find a design under 44mm that I liked.

Quite expensive for a 2824 equipped watch, but I admit it looks unique, with a nice casing, and seems very legible even in the dark, wear it in good health mate!

(I am surprised for Hamilton, I thought most of their collection was under 44mm...)

Quite expensive for a 2824 equipped watch, but I admit it looks unique, with a nice casing, and seems very legible even in the dark, wear it in good health mate!

(I am surprised for Hamilton, I thought most of their collection was under 44mm...)

Yes, retails for $950 but did not pay nearly that much online.

Should say that the only Hamilton that I did like was 44mm and I think that is too big for me.

LCfiner

So I picked up two nice watches. I like simple designs with leather bands,

Stowa Antea white dial, black leather band with date (limited edition with black hands instead of blue.) Automatic, 39mm dial.

Nomos Club black dial, brown leather band, hand wind. I just got the nomos in the mail earlier today and it’s really nice. I love how thin it is compared to the Stowa.

the nomos was a fairly good deal from eBay. barely used for $1K instead of $1700 new. Happy about that.

I’ve had lots of decent, but inexpensive watches with plain movements. Happy to have two designs that I really like with higher quality movements.

Ochs und junior watches are pretty neat looking:

But over $8,000 for a watch is a bit too much for me.

I am one of their biggest supporter, I love the simplicity of the movement, the lovely design, and yet the most precise moon phase complication with over 3 thousand years of accuracy.

A shame they do not seem to have the success they deserve.

...Some say that when you are a 10k watch you need to look like it, maybe that's why? That would be sad...

Edit: In case you did not know Jason, Hodinkee is organizing a survey with rewards, and the first prize is a... Ochs unt Junior exclusive to Hodinkee :)

Blu10

So my watch collection went from 0 to 4 in the past 5 months, and I find myself in need of a watch winder. A bit of searching shows me they range in price from $30 - $50,000.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with them?

pwack

My Kain Heritage strap arrived for my PAM homage. Very nice quality, although the bottom strap is a bit thick at the tube and is going to rub on the case a little. I'm gonna live with it, as a thick and rugged looking strap works for me.

So he's my super thick, 44mm + crown guard watch with its brand new, super thick strap on my not super big wrist.

J4ShnKcl.jpg

zw8uMJwl.jpg

tVrenqIl.jpg

Then later in the day, this arrived. Like it a lot!

gX0HXFwl.jpg

Victorinox211_1-ebfce.jpg

Here's my only current mechanical (hopefully, I'm getting that seagull 1963 for my birthday from my mother-in-law)l:

Unfortunately, a spring broke soon after I got it and it was only holding a charge for 4 hours after I took it off. However, since I had it serviced it's been a gem.

If you guys are looking for Nato straps, I can wholeheartedly recommend http://natostrapco.com/. I don't like to sound like a marketeer but I've had one of the most pleasant online buying experiences ever. The guy (J.T.) running it is a WUS member and seems to make his business very serious.

I emailed the guy after a certain strap seemed sold out. Just 3 minutes later I got a email back from J.T saying that it was in stock and could be ordered again. Great! That was fast. I got the strap with another in the basket and proceeded to check out. The next problem arose. The checkout page seemed to throw my strap from the list. After some some back and forth emails J.T and I came to the conclusion that it must be the back-end acting up. As an alternative, he offered to send me an invoice for the two straps and throw in 4 spring bars into the mix. After paying, it took half an hour for him to tell me that the package had been shipped. Now that's what I call service!

I would expect a mechanical to be more useful for longer in a post-apocalypse setting. Even if they may be more accurate, quartz watches run out of power. Mechanical watches will still be running for a good long time.

200% agreed. Good luck raiding the zombie filled super market to get a replacement battery on your quartz :)

A nice read on the subject from the infamous Watch Snob:

http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/durable-watches.html

There was also a thread on WUS on this. Mechanical, hand wound, diver preferable and durable :)

StMeph

There was also a thread on WUS on this. Mechanical, hand wound, diver preferable and durable :)

Agree there.

But here's a fun question: suppose that your watch stopped for a bit before re-winding. Time itself is relative, so so long as you have an accurate measure of time elapsed, the piece itself is still useful, but should you lose track of the "correct" time, what is a good way to reset the watch back to correct time without any atomic clocks as references?

Agree there.

But here's a fun question: suppose that your watch stopped for a bit before re-winding. Time itself is relative, so so long as you have an accurate measure of time elapsed, the piece itself is still useful, but should you lose track of the "correct" time, what is a good way to reset the watch back to correct time without any atomic clocks as references?

Such a great question. Let's try to think:

I am not sure 'absolute' time is a required during a zombie apocalypse, I imagine 'relative' time is more important. I mean, the fact that it is precisely 3PM at the exact second is not that key, but the fact that your watch and the one of your survivor 'friends'/'crew' are perfectly synchronized is much more important I imagine.

So, in the likely situation where you and your friend are forced to split up, keeping your watch wound seems like something too important to forget, the rest of the time you just need to gather your friend and sync up with them.

I guess that on the long term, provided you survive more than 6 months, the deviation of your watch may need a correction, but that's a detail in the big picture :)

I am not sure 'absolute' time is a required during a zombie apocalypse, I imagine 'relative' time is more important. I mean, the fact that it is precisely 3PM at the exact second is not that key, but the fact that your watch and the one of your survivor 'friends'/'crew' are perfectly synchronized is much more important I imagine.

So, in the likely situation where you and your friend are forced to split up, keeping your watch wound seems like something too important to forget, the rest of the time you just need to gather your friend and sync up with them.

I guess that on the long term, provided you survive more than 6 months, the deviation of your watch may need a correction, but that's a detail in the big picture :)

But in case of Zombie-Werewolves and cloudy skies, an accurate moon phase complication becomes very important.

But in case of Zombie-Werewolves and cloudy skies, an accurate moon phase complication becomes very important.

Zombies; Mechanical diver with sturdy case (IWC Aquatimer? Seamaster? I guess a few choices there...)

I propose a 3536 in Titanium on rubber, will get scratched, but will never ever let you down, and crazy accurate movement with less than a second deviation every 2 days :)

DSC_0093-1.jpg

Werewolves: Moon phase complication + way to protect the saphire (definitely a reverso moon phase to be able to turn the watch down on the wrist and protect it from scratches...)

12102011JLCsunMoona.jpg

Vampires: Sun rise and Sunset complication (Martin Braun EOS)

3065_2_martinbrauneosp2.jpeg

Giant T-Rexes: you are fucked, there is no watch for that :)

Aske

Best summer style watch (whatever that means) for <200, <1$50 would be nice too? Need to upgrade my swag

Beach watch? For $200, perhaps a Seiko Monster? Got to be some kind of fun dive watch. (Edit: Ha! Beaten.)

Zombie apocalypse discussion: have to say, I wouldn't want a mechanical. I'd want something solar powered, with a bunch of timing options for precisely the reasons discussed. How long do those G-shock solar-charged batteries last; 15-20 years? A mechanical watch ought to be serviced much sooner, and would likely let you know it by then. Of course if any of us survived that long, we'd have likely acquired a choice collection of superior watches no longer needed by their erstwhile owners...

Forsete

200% agreed. Good luck raiding the zombie filled super market to get a replacement battery on your quartz :)

Actually, dont automatic watches need oil changes/services every 3-5 years?
A quartz watch could hold out probably more than 10 years (some Casio models at least).. then again batteries will not be produced after a while and the produced ones will go bad over the years. Perhaps they can use oil made from zombies to relube the automatic watches after a few generations. :p

StMeph

I agree that since time is relative, there's no need to return it to any specific standard, but I like the thought exercise in it, and the example you gave instead.

Suppose you're in a team and have synchronized your watches. For whatever reason, you neglected to wind your watch for the day. Now you're out of sync, and don't have a clue as to how much time has elapsed. You can wind it back up, but how do you re-sync the time? What's the closest reasonable margin you can achieve to the original?

Top Bottom