• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Scalibur

G-SHOCK MT-G, I just couldn't decide so I got both!

HPzBtvB.jpg
I'd love to see some wrist pics. Everything I've seen of them makes the MT-G look GIGANTIC.

pwack

So uh, what are my options when dealing with a steel band if its too big and too small in between one section?

Does the actual clasp have micro-adjustments? (see pic) If so, use those to make it smaller or larger.

What sort of watch is it? Some bracelets have a half-sized link that you can remove instead of a full-size link to fine tune fit.

Nothing else works, get a new bracelet or change to a leather strap.

kehs

Banned
Does the actual clasp have micro-adjustments? (see pic) If so, use those to make it smaller or larger.

What sort of watch is it? Some bracelets have a half-sized link that you can remove instead of a full-size link to fine tune fit.

Nothing else works, get a new bracelet or change to a leather strap.

No minor adjustments on the clasp =/. It's a botta uno 24. I'll look into the half sized links, thanks.

kehs

Banned
Had my Botta uno for about a week or so now:

botta.jpg

I'm liking it, kinda wished I got the white face though. It's useless in the dark. You can't really glance at the time, you gotta take a few seconds to really look at where the watch is. It's gotten better in the past couple of days though.

I mentioned earlier about the band being too loose/too tight between links. The looser link is actually not too bad. During the day while I'm out and about being active, I guess my wrist swells up enough to keep it in place.

Still on the fence whether it was worth it. I will say it's durable as shit. I kept running into things with it, and there was an initial scuff mark that went away after like twenty minutes.

mens-citizen-night-hawk-chronograph-black-i-p-bracelet-watch-p4486-4535_zoom.jpg

Just ordered this,, should be here today.
I usually like bigger watches this is a 40mm bezel,, I hope its big enough for my taste. love the look of it.

I am so excited! I just got an accucell in the mail today for my vintage 1968 Bulova Spaceview Accutron. The battery is a special 1.35 volt cell made specifically for the watch that does not run well on modern 1.5v batteries. I had this watch as a kid, a gift from my dad. He gave it back to me along with some other vintage Accutrons. I popped the new battery in, gave the watch a tap on the side and it started humming along! For those who do not know, these watches predate quartz technology and use an actual tuning fork to keep time, so they hum and do not tick. The other Accutron I have ( a Snorkel model which is ok with a modern battery) has been running perfectly for the past 9 months since I got that running so I hope the same will hold for this one.

I am so excited! I just got an accucell in the mail today for my vintage 1968 Bulova Spaceview Accutron. The battery is a special 1.35 volt cell made specifically for the watch that does not run well on modern 1.5v batteries. I had this watch as a kid, a gift from my dad. He gave it back to me along with some other vintage Accutrons. I popped the new battery in, gave the watch a tap on the side and it started humming along! For those who do not know, these watches predate quartz technology and use an actual tuning fork to keep time, so they hum and do not tick. The other Accutron I have ( a Snorkel model which is ok with a modern battery) has been running perfectly for the past 9 months since I got that running so I hope the same will hold for this one.

Awesome watch!

Anyone have experiences with these watches? I've really become enamored with the busy "aviation" style of watch face and I think this fits all my needs (wants) most closely.

BJ7010-16F_MED.jpg

Also, any other recommendations on non-bank-breaking aviation style watches would be appreciated.

Anyone have experiences with these watches? I've really become enamored with the busy "aviation" style of watch face and I think this fits all my needs (wants) most closely.

http://cdn.creationwatches.com/products/images/medium/BJ7010-16F_MED.jpg[/img]

Also, any other recommendations on non-bank-breaking aviation style watches would be appreciated.

I am wearing one right now. Love the watch.

This is another one I am thinking of buying. A bit hard to find though.

Anyone else right handed and wear their watch on the right hand?

pwack

Nighthawks/Skyhawks are pretty well regarded. Feel free to peruse this for pics of various styles: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/nighthawk-appreciation-thread-424415.html

Any more definitive sense as to price range? There are various sub-styles of aviation-styled or inspried watches. German-styled fleigers; slide-rule bezeled chronographs, simple military layouts, etc.

-Setsuna-

What do you guys think of the new Seiko SARW011?
I'm quite tempted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VViRG3htJP8

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/p_search/detail/do.php?no=SARW011

Enamel dial, made by Mr. Yokosawa
Curved sapphire glass
Caliber 6R27 (28.800 bph, Date, Power reserve indicator)
10 ATM
40 x 13.3mm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97946660&postcount=3134

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
lol, pwacks post made me visit WUS again after a long time and i just saw that my old Sinn 556 thread over there has become the most viewed thread in the Sinn forums :D

MarkusRJR

I'm having serious problems trying to change the wrist size on my watch's band. It has a stainless steel band and the pins just don't want to come out. Usually I wear leather bands, but this looks so much nicer. Any suggestions or tips?

kehs

Banned
I'm having serious problems trying to change the wrist size on my watch's band. It has a stainless steel band and the pins just don't want to come out. Usually I wear leather bands, but this looks so much nicer. Any suggestions or tips?

What you using to push the pins out? Make sure you're pushing in the right direction as well. (Not that had that problem *shifty eyes* )

MarkusRJR

What you using to push the pins out? Make sure you're pushing in the right direction as well. (Not that had that problem *shifty eyes* )
I tried using a paper clip + pliers, a push pin, and a needle. Tried both sides. I didn't want to use a hammer or anything since that sounds like a great way to break a watch.

How dumb would it be to go to a jewelers to get them to size it for me? What're the chances they'd charge me for it?

kehs

Banned
Not dumb at all, I almost did after not being able to do the same. Eventually I found one of these lying around, clipped of the flathead end and it worked perfectly.

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/225253292.jpg

Some of the links kind of "lock up" if they are stretched out, so try compressing the links together before pushing on the pin.

pwack

I tried using a paper clip + pliers, a push pin, and a needle. Tried both sides. I didn't want to use a hammer or anything since that sounds like a great way to break a watch.

How dumb would it be to go to a jewelers to get them to size it for me? What're the chances they'd charge me for it?

I always have a watch shop size my watches. Go to some independent jeweler/watch shop, not some mall chain store. Make cost $5 to $10.

-Setsuna-

Some hairy wristshots of my SBGW001, before the strap change (the black croc should be here tomorrow) :

PS: This weekend, I was pumped and ready to buy a SARW011, but — surprise — the watch is currently out of stock and nowhere to be found... Seiko hates me.

Some hairy wristshots of my SBGW001, before the strap change (the black croc should be here tomorrow) :

PS: This weekend, I was pumped and ready to buy a SARW011, but — surprise — the watch is currently out of stock and nowhere to be found... Seiko hates me.

I want to see the GS on a croc please!

Also, just my very humble and uneducated opinion, but I am not sure about the SARW011.

It seems like Seiko is trying to be someone else with this dial design. IMHO, they are trying to hard: the mix of arabic, roman, classic hands (hour/minute), modern hands (seconds), and the unbalanced dial (too much on the top left part, nothing on the right) makes it not as cool as other Seiko models in my mind.

Perfect mix of classic and modern is one of my favorite theme in dial design, but here it just does not work.

just my $.02, enjoy the magnificent SBGW001!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
GS, what do you think of IWC brand? The IWC Portuguese Chronograph is pretty much my dream watch nowadays, but I read a bit of hate on the brand, as ppl expect more for the price (e.g., non-ETA) and some question the reliability of them.

GS, what do you think of IWC brand? The IWC Portuguese Chronograph is pretty much my dream watch nowadays, but I read a bit of hate on the brand, as ppl expect more for the price (e.g., non-ETA) and some question the reliability of them.

Don't listen to the haters, the IWC portuguese line is fantastic in many regards - especially in the case of someone who does not want a collection of watches sitting on winders, but just one great piece that will work in pretty much any context and can sit in a box for a couple of days without the need for a winder.

That said, if you have an issue buying an expensive watch with an ETA inside - a very commendable opinion if you ask me - you can definitely look at the great 7-day Portuguese models. Yes, the accuracy is not perfect (basically it's a bit too fast when wound up to the max, and a bit slower if not worn for a few days in the case of an auto), but it has the best of both world: a perfect and timeless dial design (actually the dial design is better in the 7-day than for the chronograph because the subdials does not overlap and 'cut' the 6, see pictures bellow), and a great in-house movement with a great module (the 7-day power reserve, now that's something useful!).

The chronograph version based on a 7750, with the 6 'cut' by the subdial:

The (perfect if you ask me) 7-day version:

(I chose the blue on white to compare, but the silver on black version are magnificent too :D).

Just a last comment, the only reason I don't own one myself is because they are a tad too big on my girly wrists, try one on and make sure the strap is round on your wrist, if it falls vertically from the lugs it means it's too big :)

commish

The blue is amazing. A big fan.

No one has girlier (is that a word?) wrists than me. I thought at 40.9 it'd be an okay size, since the Damasko I am currently wearing is 40 and just fine. That's also why I would prefer the chrono, I think, because I think it's a bit smaller (and definitely cheaper). I'm not much of an in-house vs eta snob, at least not to the point of this price difference. But there are great alternatives with inhouse, so it just made me wonder. There's an IWC shop here in NYC so maybe I'll stop by. Not that I am gonna shell out that much for a watch anytime soon. GF won't let me.

The blue is amazing. A big fan.

No one has girlier (is that a word?) wrists than me. I thought at 40.9 it'd be an okay size, since the Damasko I am currently wearing is 40 and just fine. That's also why I would prefer the chrono, I think, because I think it's a bit smaller (and definitely cheaper). I'm not much of an in-house vs eta snob, at least not to the point of this price difference. But there are great alternatives with inhouse, so it just made me wonder. There's an IWC shop here in NYC so maybe I'll stop by. Not that I am gonna shell out that much for a watch anytime soon. GF won't let me.

If it's the dial design that excites you and you would like to explore in-house for a similar price in the 40mm range may I suggest this underpriced beauty?

commish

If it's the dial design that excites you and you would like to explore in-house for a similar price in the 40mm range may I suggest this underpriced beauty?

Oh I think you knew exactly what I am looking for. Amazing. Thank you!

/goes off to research

-Setsuna-

I want to see the GS on a croc please!
OK, GS. I'll take some pics.
In fact, I have two straps in the mail (black croc and gator), but after seeing this lovely picture, I'm now tempted to buy a third, brown one.

That SBGW001 looks really nice. Congrats.
enjoy the magnificent SBGW001!
Thanks!

Also, just my very humble and uneducated opinion, but I am not sure about the SARW011.
It seems like Seiko is trying to be someone else with this dial design. IMHO, they are trying to hard: the mix of arabic, roman, classic hands (hour/minute), modern hands (seconds), and the unbalanced dial (too much on the top left part, nothing on the right) makes it not as cool as other Seiko models in my mind.
Perfect mix of classic and modern is one of my favorite theme in dial design, but here it just does not work.
I share your opinion, GS. The SARW011 is far from being perfect, but I'm quite curious and attracted by its enamel dial. Rare, made by hand, and showing some beautiful curves and patterns (subdials). Even as a collector and vintage lover, I never had a watch blessed with such a dial.

Anyway, the SARW won't be back in stock anytime soon, so maybe I should go back to the love-at-first-sight WZ0021DD (which was also out of stock in December, when I wanted one...). It looks as gorgeous as ever, and its dimensions are perfect.

-Setsuna-

The croc was supposed to be "semi-matte", but actually is way too glossy and shiny. So back to sender it goes...

The SBGW001 looks pretty good on the black alligator strap, though:

The croc was supposed to be "semi-matte", but actually is way too glossy and shiny. So back to sender it goes...

The SBGW001 looks pretty good on the black alligator strap, though:

That GS on strap is marvelous. Congrats.

Yesterday I tried on the new Milgauss with the green sapphire at my favorite second hand store. It's such a wonderful piece, with historic relevance and a super modern yet elegant design, I might succumb in the next few months...

Yeah, I bought a watch from Germany and had to pay duties. I can't remember how much, but Fedex was all over me for that money.

I bought one from China but I wasn't charged any duty on that. I have one coming in from Japan now and the USPS status reads 'Inbound Into Customs'. So was wondering. Lets see, hopefully it is under 10%.

BrettWeir

Clean and stylish. Very nice.

Love the look of that rolex btw. There are several brands with homages of that model right?;)

The GMT? I believe so. Not half as many homages as the Sub, but yeah. Steinhart comes to mind right off the bat.

**Edit
Oops. LOL. Sorry, I thought I posted another picture with my Rolex in it, and you were referring to it. There are no homages to the Pelagos, since it's so new. There are definitely ones for the vintage Snowflakes. Here's the Pelagos by my 1675 Rolex GMT Master. Below that is my Steinhart that is an homage to the Submariner. Obviously Mercedes hands, not snowflake on that one.
iUeCL31jHwnwm.JPG

iSipwR3YVpFgs.JPG

Speaking of Rolex, what made the Explorer and Smiths watch withstand such adverse conditions on the climb to Everest? Did the movements have anti-shock or something features, or could any watch like Omega, Hamilton, etc survive the climb?

My wife completely surprised me for Valentines with this beauty:

i8Eh095SZfo7X.JPG

iFGLafUwgSzt4.JPG

Beautiful watch.

For my 30th I am either getting a Pelagos or SubC no-date. Was dead set on the Pelagos, but got some inheritance money recently that makes the Rolex possible.

Now just have to decide if I want to put up with all the judgement and "is it real?" questions that come with wearing a Rolex. I go back and forth all the time and may just have my wife surprise me.

Top Bottom