• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Gotcha.

Looks like Omega will soon reveal a new watch:

f8b9ec98aabf11e38f5c12ef17e62143_8.jpg

Looks like a cross between a railmaster and a PO.

Hopefully it's less than 42mmx13mm big.

pwack

I found I wasn't wearing the Orange Monster that much, so I traded it in for this guy:

Like the classic style with a hint of color. Also, the stock Seiko jubilee bracelet is super comfy. Not the same level of fit and finish as the OM, but not a big difference and a more wearable look.

Blu10

I found I wasn't wearing the Orange Monster that much, so I traded it in for this guy:

Like the classic style with a hint of color. Also, the stock Seiko jubilee bracelet is super comfy. Not the same level of fit and finish as the OM, but not a big difference and a more wearable look.

Love the Pepsi bezel. Will you take it anywhere besides the pool or shower? I'd be interested to hear how the bracelet fairs.

I've heard varying stories about the jubilee bracelet but it always looked solid to me. I currently have an oyster bracelet on my 007 but I keep favoring the ol' nato strap. Suits the watch and it very comfortable.

@Marcovaldo

What do you mean by uniform ware? dotation watch? Watch to go with a uniform?

On my side, i want to buy my adventure watch.
Torned between a Flieger UTC (and sell my current MkXVI?)
12028-043f9f9045dd972231e030efc7059787393d57fd.jpg

Or get an Explorer II and that way i have succeed my life with 20 years to spare (Trololol)
10723-755822bfd1c99d34b0b73ecaf996a98fb4cefc22.jpg

@Marcovaldo

What do you mean by uniform ware? dotation watch? Watch to go with a uniform?

On my side, i want to buy my adventure watch.
Torned between a Flieger UTC (and sell my current MkXVI?)

Or get an Explorer II and that way i have succeed my life with 20 years to spare (Trololol)

If it's an 'adventure' watch, I don't see anything better suited than the explorer: the GMT complication, the solid casing, the design, the bracelet, the history. It's a no brainer :)

@marcovaldo

It depends which model, they have some nice quartz based watches which are not too expensive. But you should see one in the flesh, they are cool on photo, but can feel very 'meh' on the wrist as it did for me, especially the big and thick models.

Next watch for me is going to be a Casio (G-Shock). I need a real beater that is able to cope with the occasional abuse of using a power tool. Now to choose one.:p Currently the G7710 is on my wishlist. Not too chunky but also not too to dated. I'm still hesitating whether to get an analog model though. Anyone else have some suggestions?

uniform wares! http://uniformwares.com i like the way they look but no idea if they're well made

The Uniform Wares watches look very very nice to me. It's not something I would personally wear but the design of most models is excellent.

pwack

Thats one hell of a watch, congrats!!

Agreed. Pretty stunning. I love the deep liquid black of the dial.

Separate note -- I've been losing weight recently (yay me). I've dropped about 18 pounds, which correlates to almost 10% of my starting weight. While fitting in my clothes better is great, I was not expecting my wrist size to change so much! I have to keep adjusting bracelets. Heck, for my Nomos, I switched from the stock strap to a smaller length OEM strap.

Just picked this beauty up today!

SIKE! Went and tried on PO 8500, Grand Seikos, and the SMP300.

My puny wrists are 6 inches, and my fears have been alleviated. The SMP300 Bond watch felt great. Not as thick as the PO. I tried on the PO, and I didn't realize it was the 8500 until I saw the caseback. They didn't have the 2500, which is slightly less thick. Though I do admit, the thickness wasn't THAT bad, and this is coming from someone who hates thick watches. With the strap, the watch sits in place and won't move alot compared to the metal band.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the AT 8500? I dunno, they had the white and black dials, and I just weren't feeling them.

Now the cream colored Grand Seikos were gorgeous.

All in all, I think whenever I do decide to get a new watch, it's either gonna be a PO (either 2500 or 8500), SMP300, or even the 2254.

P.S. I'm really surprised at the quality of Seiko watches. Even the SKX007 looked high quality. The Sumo's dial was impressive, too. Up there with the higher end Omega's I saw.

+1, I love the ananta, this deep black dial, and the ratio bracelet/dial is wonderful :)

Just picked up this beauty today

Nice pick up! Wear it in good health my friend!

Just picked this beauty up today!

SIKE! Went and tried on PO 8500, Grand Seikos, and the SMP300.

My puny wrists are 6 inches, and my fears have been alleviated. The SMP300 Bond watch felt great. Not as thick as the PO. I tried on the PO, and I didn't realize it was the 8500 until I saw the caseback. They didn't have the 2500, which is slightly less thick. Though I do admit, the thickness wasn't THAT bad, and this is coming from someone who hates thick watches. With the strap, the watch sits in place and won't move alot compared to the metal band.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the AT 8500? I dunno, they had the white and black dials, and I just weren't feeling them.

All in all, I think whenever I do decide to get a new watch, it's either gonna be a PO (either 2500 or 8500), SMP300, or even the 2254.

P.S. I'm really surprised at the quality of Seiko watches. Even the SKX007 looked high quality. The Sumo's dial was impressive, too. Up there with the higher end Omega's I saw.

I am not sure, did you pick it up or not? it looks ok on your wrist btw.

No, I was joking. I didn't buy it.

42mm is my limit. At 15.7mm thick, it didn't look bad surprisingly, but of course the 14.2mm thickness on the 2500 is more preferable.

You think it's just ok? The 2220 was thinner, and I loved the black dial. I think it was the ceramic, though.

Wish they had some used 2254. Love that watch, too.

my ranking if I had to choose would be smp300 tied with 2254, and then the planet ocean. They're all even in my book, which makes it harder to choose.

-Setsuna-

The "old" Planet Ocean is the better pick, in my opinion.
In fact, I don't understand what was Omega thinking with their new, stupidly thick PO. Nobody in his right mind would think that putting a see-through caseback on a 600m diver is a good and sensible idea...

The reason why I've grown to become a Seiko enthusiast. They really are on a league of their own.

Just picked up this beauty today
That's a classic. Congrats, Blu10!

Agreed. Pretty stunning. I love the deep liquid black of the dial.
+1, I love the ananta, this deep black dial, and the ratio bracelet/dial is wonderful :)
Thanks, guys!
I tried to take more pics, but, let's be honest, they don't do it justice at all. There are so many details, textures and nuances that you have to hold it and see it in the flesh to realize how gorgeous it really is.
In the end, I'm quite glad that the SARW011 and WZ0021DD were out of stock.

Peru

I love my SMP300, that's for sure. Will never tire of that blue on my wrist. Bigger issue is I can't shake my Omega obsession so I now desire a Speedmaster as well.

No, I was joking. I didn't buy it.

42mm is my limit. At 15.7mm thick, it didn't look bad surprisingly, but of course the 14.2mm thickness on the 2500 is more preferable.

You think it's just ok? The 2220 was thinner, and I loved the black dial. I think it was the ceramic, though.

Wish they had some used 2254. Love that watch, too.

my ranking if I had to choose would be smp300 tied with 2254, and then the planet ocean. They're all even in my book, which makes it harder to choose.

No, sorry, I meant 'ok' as in 'right' or as in 'not too big for your wrist'. Generally speaking the rule is that the bracelet/strap should not fall vertically, but gently embrace the curves of your wrist, which is the case here.

The "old" Planet Ocean is the better pick, in my opinion.
In fact, I don't understand what was Omega thinking with their new, stupidly thick PO. Nobody in his right mind would think that putting a see-through caseback on a 600m diver is a good and sensible idea...

AMEN.

Actually, I'm thinking I like the SMP300 more. The dial looks cleaner and more legible due to the circle indices, and it's just an overall thinner watch.

Probably very personal, but as much as I like the dial and casing, I am not a fan of the brushed/polished bracelet... This is just me though.

So, today I will try a watch on which has 90% change to be my next purchase, probably this summer. If it works as well as the first time, I'll post some pics. (or you can play the 'what the hell GS is buying this time around?' game if you prefer :D).

So, stuck-in-the-past-GAF, I have a probably impossible task for you: identify this watch for me!

LugS79c.png
wuywRpL.png
6zN6E8o.png

...Please?

For context, it's the watch Stewart Lee wore for the recording of the third series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle (currently airing on Saturday nights on BBC2). It's annoyingly difficult to get a decent shot of it, but I'm suspecting/hoping the strap mount might be the best giveaway as to the brand at least?

Ta.

-Setsuna-

It looks like a Swatch of some sort.

So, today I will try a watch on which has 90% change to be my next purchase, probably this summer. If it works as well as the first time, I'll post some pics. (or you can play the 'what the hell GS is buying this time around?' game if you prefer :D).
The Rolex Milgauss that you tried a few weeks ago?

Blu10

As much as I love the watch, one is enough :D

ahh must have missed that post.

Swiss and high end indeed, 100m so definitely up for some swimming but technically not a diver.

Getting awfully close :)

At 100m that's the same as my sppedmaster, so next and final guess is an IWC Portuguese yacht club.

At 100m that's the same as my sppedmaster, so next and final guess is an IWC Portuguese yacht club.

Great guess, even if the Yacht Club is actually 60m, you are really not too far away. The genre is similar, but the watch I chose is 39mm.

I'll reveal it tomorrow, let's play just a bit more :)

Sorry, my kid demanded my undivided attention for the full day it seems, luckily he is sleeping now :)

Like for the APRO, I chose a watch which I first hated, and then learned to like more and more with time.

I tried on a few high end divers on, from the Fifty Fathom in 40mm to some old Rolexes (5513, and Sea dweler), the new Milgauss, and even some Master Compressor Chrono from JLC. But each time the piece was working 'intellectually' (I mean, it ticked my imaginary boxes :D), but when on the wrist, it went from 'meh' to 'ok, but not in love'.

2 weeks ago though, I tried a Breguet Marine Big date in SS with the black dial, and suddenly it became all clear: it's the perfect watch both on paper, and on wrist, and it suits my current style perfectly (it even 'balances' it in a way, adding a touch of whimsy/originality with that rubber/rectilinear lugs...).

On a side note, this research challenged a deep belief I had: I am not a fervent believer of the 'one needs each type of watches in his collection (a formal dress, a casual, a diver, a sporty...)' anymore, I actually think that following a 'theme' can be cool too, as long as you keep variation in mind. My theme could be 'super versatile' or 'in between', as the GO PML is a dress but has some kind of playful-ness that makes it borderline casual, the APRO works as much with a suit as it does in a tshirt, and now the Marine, which is basically a diver that wanted to be a dressy (or is it the other way around?).

In a word, I am never deep diving, just snorkeling at best and I will not climb the Everest (well, not in the near future), so let's stick to watches that make sense with my day to day. (at least that's my state of mind right now...).

Sorry for the horrendous iphone pic, so much lighting in those ADs :)

I expect to buy it around the June time period, now it's on for that lovely negotiation time :D

edit:

(much better) close up pic stolen online:

-Setsuna-

and now the Marine, which is basically a diver that wanted to be a dressy (or is it the other way around?)
A diver with a small and thin case, see-through caseback, 100m water resistance, very limited lume and no unidirectional bezel? ;)
The Breguet Marine is nothing but a regular dress watch paired with a "cheap" rubber strap, which is mighty odd, in my opinion, and not particularly pleasing to the eye.

As a Frenchman, I can only admire and respect Breguet, but this model's concept and aesthetics leave me perplexed, to be honest.

PS: That being said, I was already puzzled by the Royal Oak. I might be a bit too rigid and conservative, after all. ;_;

A diver with a small and thin case, see-through caseback, 100m water resistance, very limited lume and no unidirectional bezel? ;)
The Breguet Marine is nothing but a regular dress watch paired with a "cheap" rubber strap, which is mighty odd, in my opinion, and not particularly pleasing to the eye.

As a Frenchman, I can only admire and respect Breguet, but this model's concept and aesthetics leave me perplexed, to be honest.

PS: That being said, I was already puzzled by the Royal Oak. I might be a bit too rigid and conservative, after all. ;_;

You know what I meant :) I started this discussion saying it was not a diver so yeah I agree but it still shares some design elements.

On the rigid thing, well you are a Seiko fan, so yeah not a manufacturer particularly adventurous with all their design (some say boring, not me though) so not surprising :)

Not a fan of the Breguet Marine at all - I think the dial looks pretty cheap as well.

Funny enough the only thing that's not cheap is the dial (vs the SS case and the rubber strap), actually made of gold :)

pwack

Huh -- interesting watch Sushiman. Not something I would ever have thought of, but it is a very compelling choice. It seems to be a mix of classic and modern elements all combined with a touch of whimsy into a very unique package. Definitely more interesting than a standard diver like a FF or a Rolex , which, let's face it, is gonna be overkill in terms of technical specs for 99% of the watch buying public. But perhaps most importantly it looks very good on your wrist.

I think the allure comes from the fact that the Breguet isn't just a "regular" dress watch, but a pretty awesome dress watch. So as I see it, this is a pretty awesome dress watch that has been sportified-up, and therefore made suitable for a bunch of different situations. (Similar in purpose to a Nomos Ahoi, but a different aesthetic and price point.)

Huh -- interesting watch Sushiman. Not something I would ever have thought of, but it is a very compelling choice. It seems to be a mix of classic and modern elements all combined with a touch of whimsy into a very unique package. Definitely more interesting than a standard diver like a FF or a Rolex , which, let's face it, is gonna be overkill in terms of technical specs for 99% of the watch buying public. But perhaps most importantly it looks very good on your wrist.

I think the allure comes from the fact that the Breguet isn't just a "regular" dress watch, but a pretty awesome dress watch. So as I see it, this is a pretty awesome dress watch that has been sportified-up, and therefore made suitable for a bunch of different situations. (Similar in purpose to a Nomos Ahoi, but a different aesthetic and price point.)

I did not buy it, yet it already generates controversies, what a great piece! :D

I really like the idea of the watch not being consensual, just like the APRO, as it creates interesting stories. I consider myself (and I know it sounds pretentious, but I am French, it's cultural :D) as someone quite 'original' and I think my collection should reflect this in a some way, which the Marine does well.

I also really wanted something I could swim with as a 'holiday' watch, so I am happy to have found something that will work the day on the beach, and also at night for a cocktail/party (the only issue of rubber is that it does not work with a suit, but I never wear that on hols).

Again, I understand the piece is special and does not fit the classic genres defined by the industry, but I actually think it's what makes it interesting.

(finally, thanks for the nice words Pwack, and also thx explaining the appeal in a much better/general way that I did :D).

-Setsuna-

On the rigid thing, well you are a Seiko fan, so yeah not a manufacturer particularly adventurous with all their design (some say boring, not me though) so not surprising :)
It's particularly true with the Grand Seikos. They're exquisite but undeniably staid and slightly nostalgic.
I might add that the two I own are from the "Classic" line, which says it all.

Putting a rubber on a Breguet (or a textile strap on a Nomos) is just as weird and nonsensical to me as wearing a suit jacket with jeans.

...OK, let's face it, I'm just a grumpy old man now. >_<

In other news, a Teaser for the new Seamaster 300 (colour me intrigued):
http://youtu.be/nYK5-OKl-tg
Pretty nice. The indices are quite interesting and unusual for an Omega.

I'm liking that Breguet Marine. It is indeed the mix of styles that makes it interesting. It certainly has presence on the wrist. Much more so than a Rolex. But it also exudes class and doesn't look gaudy. Great choice.

Damn OncelC for making me reconsider that Casio again!

GS, wonderful Breguet, congrats on the rare but exquisite purchase!

In other news, a Teaser for the new Seamaster 300 (colour me intrigued):
http://youtu.be/nYK5-OKl-tg

aaand a steering wheel wristshot ;)

Dat class. It reminds me of their (absolutely perfect) old Seamaster models.

With Basel approaching this thread should be updated every hour of the day :D.

Let me keep the ball rolling with a brand that always intrigued me a lot, Pita Barcelonna. They usually focus on super deep divers with a modern and playful look, now they introduce a new roadster chronograph, with a great looking modern dial:

Top Bottom