• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Pbae

OMG the new Milgauss is soooooo perfect! Congrats Rolex designers :D

milgauss_0006_1680x10701462104212851aWU

I'm personally not fond of that color scheme. Maybe because I think the black face with orange markers is near perfection for the Milgauss.

Also, I'm torn between a Milgauss and Explorer II =[

I'm personally not fond of that color scheme. Maybe because I think the black face with orange markers is near perfection for the Milgauss.

I think the blue is even more interesting, but that's just a question of taste at this point.

If you are torn between the two, I would look at their history to choose: one was invented for engineer/researchers working in a very magnetic environment, it's a bit the 'FOR SCIENCE' watch, the other is the follow up to the watch that Sir Hillary wore when he first climbed the Everest mount.

So, simply, which history corresponds best to who you are? It's also very important (for me) to have a message with your watch, not just a design.

Food for thoughts...

Interesting that Daniel Craig dislikes the planet ocean. He finds it too chunky and heavy. In fact, he supposedly refused to wear the 45mm in the sequels, and omega had to make a lighter weight version since the one he had to wear was too heavy.

not only that, but Craig requested to wear the aqua terra. It was his own personal watch, and wanted it in skyfall to wear the majority of screen time. There's a reason why you only see the po in skyfall for like, less than 30 minutes.

good for him. His disdain for big watches makes me appreciate him even more.

I had a more easy choice this week because my Sinn is already rated for high EM field.

So what time was it?
adventuretime.jpg

Adventure Time! (also my first GMT watch.)

-Setsuna-

Ok, since the A. Lange and Sohne of Andrew Wilson at E3, I think we should instaure some kind of 'what is XYZ from the video game industry wearing on his wrist?'.
Today, Phil Spencer, new Xbox CEO, interviewed by our beloved Major Nelson here.
I am usually quite good at the game, but here, honestly, I am just not sure. My first thought was this...
What do you guys think?
Definitely a tri-compax (3,6,9) chronograph, with lumed hands and indices, very short lugs, and red touches here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheapo, TBH.

So what time was it?
It wasn't "keyboard cleaning time", that's for sure. 。◕‿◕。

(Congrats on your purchase!)

Definitely a tri-compax (3,6,9) chronograph, with lumed hands and indices, very short lugs, and red touches here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheapo, TBH.

It wasn't "keyboard cleaning time", that's for sure. 。◕‿◕。

(Congrats on your purchase!)

I think you are definitely onto something here. The more I look at it, the details on the bracelet, and everything, the more I think 'it's just nothing'.

As much as I like the Xbox One, it's official now, Phil's affordable vs Andrew's Lange, it's clear the PS4 will win. Next gen pls.

:p

I had a more easy choice this week because my Sinn is already rated for high EM field.

So what time was it?
adventuretime.jpg

Maximum congratulations to you mate! Wear both in fantastic health!

(and now you can also buy a new keyboard, it looks like an Amiga 500 refurbished one :D)

kehs

Banned
Six month update on my Rodina

IMG_20131005_041923.jpg

img_4460.jpg

First picture mine, second one not.

The watch is eye catching, gotten more than a few compliments on it. The casing has a few knicks on it, but the glass is still pristine.

The mechanics however....meh. Within a few weeks I had to have it repaired. Luckily the place I bought it online from (good-stuffs.com) covered the repairs locally instead of having to send it back. Everything has been good with the watch until about last week.

Every day or so it will stock ticking. =/ If you reset the time and wind it a little it will pick back up for another day or two. I'm gonna try contacting the seller and see what happens. The local place that fixed/cleaned it initially only covered it for 90 days.

The watch is nice visually, but not reliable obviously. It was $120 if I'm remembering correctly.

Forsete

Even my 50-year-old unserviced watches are more accurate than this. ;p

Hehe, might get it tuned sometime. At least it is pretty consistent slow.

However, my Vostok has been retired for a bit (I've had it almost a year already).
At about the same time I got a Casio Waveceptor that I wear at work (really terrible place for a watch, but the Wavecepter has been able to take the abuse).

The digital Casio has kind of grown on me, so I bought the (in IMO) least hideous G-Shock today.

Casio.jpg

G-Shock GWM5610

It has atomic sync, solar panel charging etc.
It is smaller than my Waveceptor, and I like the "old style" of this G-Shock.

Dont kill me for posting a G-shock :p

maeh2k

Six month update on my Rodina

IMG_20131005_041923.jpg

img_4460.jpg

First picture mine, second one not.

The watch is eye catching, gotten more than a few compliments on it. The casing has a few knicks on it, but the glass is still pristine.

The mechanics however....meh. Within a few weeks I had to have it repaired. Luckily the place I bought it online from (good-stuffs.com) covered the repairs locally instead of having to send it back. Everything has been good with the watch until about last week.

Every day or so it will stock ticking. =/ If you reset the time and wind it a little it will pick back up for another day or two. I'm gonna try contacting the seller and see what happens. The local place that fixed/cleaned it initially only covered it for 90 days.

The watch is nice visually, but not reliable obviously. It was $120 if I'm remembering correctly.

Lately, I've been tempted to buy a Chinese watch, but so far I've managed to stop myself. The Rodina looks amazing. I also love the look of the Parnis Portuguese. But I'm a bit too worried about these kinds of reliability issues.
Still, I can't see myself buying a Nomos or an IWC anytime soon (if ever)...

kehs

Banned
Lately, I've been tempted to buy a Chinese watch, but so far I've managed to stop myself. The Rodina looks amazing. I also love the look of the Parnis Portuguese. But I'm a bit too worried about these kinds of reliability issues.

I think I just got a bad batch or something. I was looking at some watch forums and everyone has loved their for at least a year or so.

I'm totally bruised on it though.

I know you guys are chrono guys, but I'm getting the Moto 360 next, looks ace, hopefully I don't get a crapshoot.

However, my Vostok has been retired for a bit (I've had it almost a year already).
At about the same time I got a Casio Waveceptor that I wear at work (really terrible place for a watch, but the Wavecepter has been able to take the abuse).

The digital Casio has kind of grown on me, so I bought the (in IMO) least hideous G-Shock today.

First, NEVER apologize for showing of a Gshock, those watches are perfect in every way :)
Second, if I may, the fact that your Russian runs consistently 'slow' is a bad sign more than a good one, a watch that runs too fast is easy to correct during a servicing, a watch that runs slow all the time is beyond easy repair (basically the last resort is to change the balance wheel with a new one, you cannot simply 'correct' it).

On a side note, I am quite happy with the way my negotiations go with my AD, he is the one harassing me for answers and not the other way around :D, I should be in a good position to get a nice deal on the Breguet Marine. I'll post pictures when it's on my wrist :D

Wow, that first one really took the abuse. Nice to see a real tool watch. The are some really nice watches in the Illuminator range. It's a shame that Amazon.com doesn't ship watches to Europa. Otherwise I would have bought the AE 1200 or maybe the AE 1000. Love the geekyness of those models.

My two Parnis watches (one hand wound and the other auto) keep good time during their limited time around my wrist. They both feel very solid. This might not be a coincidence as they both are quite big (and not subtle at all). Despite iffy quality control I'd still recommend getting a Parnis to see what it's all about. Especially if you can get one under 80 bucks.

And of course you could also consider the more expensive 'real' brands like Seagull and Beijing. They really nice and clean designs with a typical Chinese flair.
Love the BeiHai

I stumbled upon this gorgeous thing right here on my quarterly watchbrowsing habit.

Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about that watch or Diesel in general? I would usually go for something more elegant but that watch is something special in my opinion. Might get it when payday hits.

Edit: Aw, 50mm diameter would be ridiculous on my tiny hands. I guess this one would be more sane, but it definitely does not look as striking. 44mm is still a beast though.

I stumbled upon this gorgeous thing right here on my quarterly watchbrowsing habit.

Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about that watch or Diesel in general? I would usually go for something more elegant but that watch is something special in my opinion. Might get it when payday hits.

Edit: Aw, 50mm diameter would be ridiculous on my tiny hands. I guess this one would be more sane, but it definitely does not look as striking. 44mm is still a beast though.

I don't know where to start, but to remain short and to the point: Diesel is one of the most 'hated' watch brand in the horological world. Over-sized, with very cheap material and bad QC, over-priced (you pay for the Diesel brand, not the quality), introducing questionable design, always quartz based, etc...

Is it a bad watch that will break down after a week? Nope. Is it the right way to spend $150? Probably not :)

If you like original/modern design as it seems, and would like to keep the price low, I would suggest to look at Gshock. Great QC, flashy design that are still rooted in the history of watches, and acceptable size :D

Just my $.02 :)

kagete

So finally got my grail watch...and it's sort of a bust. The pusher has a gap and rust and it doesn't wind at all unless the crown is in the date-set position. Lightly touch that crown and the heart stops beating instantly. I took it to the supposedly best watch repair guy here in Atlanta and he identified my watch instantly and was excited to look into it but called me a week later to give me the bad news: there are bits of rust and he doesn't have any parts. Omega was quoting minimum $800 to have it fixed but it will likely need more time and care (and money).

It was my grandfather's watch, and my dad got it from him as a hand-me-down gift after graduating college sometime in the 70's. It was originally owned by some unknown US army or navy officer stationed in the Philippines. When the Vietnam war got going he suddenly had to bail and the watch somehow ended up in my grandfather's possession (he was a cop doing joint exercises/hanging out with the US army guys). I grew up lusting after this watch and I wasn't really the first-born or favorite son (my younger brother had been half-promised the watch already) but my dad wanted me to have it in advance of my upcoming wedding. With my wedding spending potentially doubling I don't really have the resources to pay to have this resurrected and it's quite a bummer.

I'm debating just changing the strap out and having the crystal polished so I could keep it in a display case. Would wearing a non-functional watch make me look foolish?

1968 Omega Seamaster Chronostop 145.008
IMG_20140409_181619.jpg

IMG_20140409_181934.jpg

I would keep it in that state still I have enough money to get it sorted out. As in the end a restored watch you would be able to use and keep for a very long time. But then its only my 1p worth of feedback.

Just think in 6 months time to have it fully working on your wrist. If you like it its always good money invested

PriitV

Hi gaf, so I want a watch and I'm currently eyeing this.

It's affordable, it looks good, has a 24 month warranty, so obviously there's a reason why I shouldn't buy this and should look at something else instead. But I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with it and what should I look at instead?

If you like original/modern design as it seems, and would like to keep the price low, I would suggest to look at Gshock. Great QC, flashy design that are still rooted in the history of watches, and acceptable size :D

Thanks. I definitely have no use for something overpriced and still built with cheap materials.
I was mainly impressed with the colors on that model, as I've seen nothing else like it. I've lurked this thread a lot and some more popular stores for a while too.

I'll check out Gshocks but I haven't seen anything I like in that series yet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's affordable, it looks good, has a 24 month warranty, so obviously there's a reason why I shouldn't buy this and should look at something else instead. But I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with it and what should I look at instead?

What would be wrong with? If you like the style, size, etc, then buy it. At $95, no risk, so do it!

kagete

I would keep it in that state still I have enough money to get it sorted out. As in the end a restored watch you would be able to use and keep for a very long time. But then its only my 1p worth of feedback.

Just think in 6 months time to have it fully working on your wrist. If you like it its always good money invested

Thanks for the sound advice. I definitely plan on holding on to it as long as I live.

The specs list a 45mm case and 24mm wide band. That's huge, and the minimal details and very slim bezel might make it wear bigger on the wrist. If you've got a big enough wrist it will definitely work. I think the White/Tan leather looks the best out of their selection.

So finally got my grail watch...and it's sort of a bust. The pusher has a gap and rust and it doesn't wind at all unless the crown is in the date-set position. Lightly touch that crown and the heart stops beating instantly. I took it to the supposedly best watch repair guy here in Atlanta and he identified my watch instantly and was excited to look into it but called me a week later to give me the bad news: there are bits of rust and he doesn't have any parts. Omega was quoting minimum $800 to have it fixed but it will likely need more time and care (and money).

It was my grandfather's watch, and my dad got it from him as a hand-me-down gift after graduating college sometime in the 70's. It was originally owned by some unknown US army or navy officer stationed in the Philippines. When the Vietnam war got going he suddenly had to bail and the watch somehow ended up in my grandfather's possession (he was a cop doing joint exercises/hanging out with the US army guys). I grew up lusting after this watch and I wasn't really the first-born or favorite son (my younger brother had been half-promised the watch already) but my dad wanted me to have it in advance of my upcoming wedding. With my wedding spending potentially doubling I don't really have the resources to pay to have this resurrected and it's quite a bummer.

I'm debating just changing the strap out and having the crystal polished so I could keep it in a display case. Would wearing a non-functional watch make me look foolish?

That's a cal. 861 right? If that's the case - or even better if it's a 321 - just wait until you have the money and get the piece restored. It's a (fantastic) timepiece with a movement that would make everything produced today in terms of mid range chrono pale in comparison, and (last but not least) it was your grandpa's watch, it deserves your attention, and ultimately when fixed it deserves some wrist time :)

What a great piece, congrats!

Ovek

7Member7
Think I am going to have a talk with my local Omega AD about putting a deposit down on the 45th anniv. Apollo 11 Speedmaster. It sings to me.

Nice not to sure about the nato strap especially for £4500 but I could live with it.

My favorite watch of all time, and the only one I'd actually wear, is the Seiko Pepsi Diver. But if I were to buy one, I insist on getting a Made in Japan model. Is this going to be difficult and expensive for me?

-Setsuna-

and now you can also buy a new keyboard, it looks like an Amiga 500 refurbished one :D
Oh, the memories, man... The Amiga 500 was so awesome!

Casio.jpg

G-Shock GWM5610
The more I look at this model, the more I like it.
Its old-school design undeniably is way more charming than the other G-Shocks I've seen.

My favorite watch of all time, and the only one I'd actually wear, is the Seiko Pepsi Diver. But if I were to buy one, I insist on getting a Made in Japan model. Is this going to be difficult and expensive for me?
Depends on your definition of "expensive", Jimmy Stav. The SKX009J1 is currently at $199 on CreationWatches.

pwack

My non-made in Japan 009 -- which I really like -- says get over it.

But either way -- the J only adds a few dollars to price.

I have a 007K and I agree. When it comes to quality there should be no difference. The watch industry is largely built on non-objective values so I can understand your choice though.

So a pretty dutch colleague told me a few weeks ago that she liked "big watches" on men wrist...
Time to bring out the BR01-94 more

On the other hand, really happy how the Explorer II is turning as stealth luxury.

pwack

So a pretty dutch colleague told me a few weeks ago that she liked "big watches" on men wrist...

On the other hand, really happy how the Explorer II is turning as stealth luxury.

How dutch is she?

Da-dum-dah!

Thanks, I'll show myself out.

I don't know for you, but if a pretty girl I work with find the way to tell me something as strange as 'I like big watches on men wrist', whatever the context (except if she's totally drunk) I would probably freak out. I mean, who in their right mind tell 'I am attracted to men with ostentatious status signs' to a colleague? And really, what is the hidden message?

That said, to have worked with Dutch people a lot in the past, I remember them being the most brutally honest persons ever, so I could very well be wrong, she just like big watches, and there is no hidden agenda :)

---

On Bell and Ross, personal story nobody cares about which happened to me around 10 years ago:

I was in the TGV (a French fast train) from Paris to Lyon. The seats are quite close from each other, not much space, and the BIG guy on my right is sporting a Bell and Ross. The watch is clearly not a fake (well you never know, but that was my take at that time...) and the guy is making sure everyone in our square of seats sees it (not that hard with such a big watch).
I was a bit mesmerized seeing a cool timepiece in the wild so I focus on the guy wrist. He was actually typing a SMS on his phone. Because I am a bad person, and I like to mingle in other's people life, I think to myself, 'this guy has a BR, he must be cool, let's have a look at his SMS conversation just for fun'. I was expecting some kind of super kewl conversation (like super confidential information, or telling his friends about his crazy adventures) I don't know why, I just did expect that (I know it sounds and is stupid).

Surprise (plot twist as they say on reddit :D), the guy was actually discussing with (what I supposed was) his mistress, and he was sending super-uber vulgar sext messages and she was responding with the same tone. Of course, because my curiosity was much stronger than my disgust, I kept on looking for a few minutes. It got worse (no I won't go into details :D) to the point where I basically was feeling super uneasy sitting next to this guy, so I took my stuff and went to the bar coach to take a beer and forget everything I just saw (it actually took much more than a beer to forget).

Since that day, I promised to myself NEVER to wear a BR as it was reminding me of that (horrible) moment.

(before you jump at me, my point is REALLY NOT to judge BR and people wearing BR, it's just another example of 'taste and choices are subjective and linked to personal experience, not a proper rational'. In other words, this is just my story :D).

That said, to have worked with Dutch people a lot in the past, I remember them being the most brutally honest persons ever, so I could very well be wrong, she just like big watches, and there is no hidden agenda :
Oh i think there was no subtext here, we were just having a drink with other colleagues and she was commenting on my watch rotation. :)

Regarding B&R; it is really started as a love-hate relationship.
I liked the call to aviation and the very instrument-look of the watch but at the same time i was thinking they were far to big and quiet ostentatious (dare i say a poor man Hublot)
then after making saving some money working in Luxembourg; i went to an AD to try one and well it looked better on my wrist than what i expected. 2 years later, i bought my used BR01 as the "power"watch and i'm quiet happy with it, i like to use it as look breaker when i dress very formally to avoid "The Man in Grey Flannel Suit" syndrom.
I also do it with my SKX0013 and a NATO strap. it works quiet well.

pwack

Grabbed this old Seiko 5 off eBay. It was cheap and it's from the year and month I was born. Running about +2 seconds over 8 hours, which seems good for age and lack of service history. Day/date is jammed. Need to figure out if I care enough to get that fixed. Currently living on a spare nato I had laying around.

How dutch is she?

Da-dum-dah!

Thanks, I'll show myself out.

Lol.

Being Dutch, I can attest to the fact that we tend to love (big) watches. The majority of people over here wear watches. Though most of the watches I encounter are fashion watches.

vpance

Dear Watch Gaf, I got bitten by the bug in the last year :S I've got a small collection now, but am still looking for the next purchase
as usual right?

Junghans Meister Chronoscope, thoughts?

DSC_4425.jpg

Junghans-Meister-Chronoscope-Stahl-mood.jpg

Yes, it's only a 7750 but I think it looks pretty unique.

vpance

The white does seem to bring out the details more from the pics I've found

junghans-0274120-meister-chronoscope.jpg

Really digging the domed face with minimal bezel. It's 40mm but would probably wear more like 41.

And their more understated Max Bill Chronoscope model which goes for around the same price:

908671d1355859995-my-german-watch-journey-junghans-max-bill-chronoscope-minklocka.jpg

-Setsuna-

Grabbed this old Seiko 5 off eBay. It was cheap and it's from the year and month I was born. Running about +2 seconds over 8 hours, which seems good for age and lack of service history. Day/date is jammed. Need to figure out if I care enough to get that fixed. Currently living on a spare nato I had laying around.
Ah, the "5" version of the Weekdater. Still looking good, despite its age.
(Would pair beautifully with a Graf Champion, IMO)

Dear Watch Gaf, I got bitten by the bug in the last year :S I've got a small collection now, but am still looking for the next purchase
as usual right?
Junghans Meister Chronoscope, thoughts?
The Chronoscope is a very elegant and desirable watch, even if I'm quite disappointed to see that its price has risen by 23% since 2011, and that without any kind of justification or compensation (a sapphire glass would have been nice). Pretty representative of today's horology...

Maybe I've been wearing the wrong size watches all this time. I tried on a co-worker's little cheap seiko quartz dive watch from like, the 1990s. Nice little watch. It had to have been 36-38mm big. Nice blue dial with the bezel being stainless steel. At first, when I had it on, it was so damn tiny. I guess I was so used to wearing watches between 40-42mm. But then I went over to a mirror and was shocked to see how great the size looked on my wrist. Put my hand in my pocket, and the watch didn't move or looked off balanced, unlike my 40mm seiko chrono that's only 11mm thick. The little watch stayed in place and laid flat on my wrist.

A 36mm coaxial Bond watch is seriously on my list now. if the 2222.80 fits as nicely as the the guy's seiko watch, then I'll definately get it.

torontoml

So I kinda want a G-Shock for work but looking at the vast amount available on Amazon.ca the ones I like seem really large, 50+ mm diameter, is that as big as it sounds? I don't really like the look of the rectangle "classic" ones.

For example this is one I am interested in, http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00790LV20/

Maybe I've been wearing the wrong size watches all this time. I tried on a co-worker's little cheap seiko quartz dive watch from like, the 1990s...

Yes! I am so sick of the giant watch trend -- especially when I see men wearing saucer-sized watches on their wrist. It's getting ridiculous. Unless your wrist is the size of Vin Diesel's tricep, you don't need that big of a watch.

Yes! I am so sick of the giant watch trend -- especially when I see men wearing saucer-sized watches on their wrist. It's getting ridiculous. Unless your wrist is the size of Vin Diesel's tricep, you don't need that big of a watch.

I dont like huge watches either, but I think as long as the lugs dont extend past your wrist it should be ok. Generally speaking 42mm is the max i'll go. I have the 42mm PO 8500, its a big watch on my wrist, but not to the point of being ridiculous. As for 36mm Seamaster professional 300 (bond watch), my gf has it, looks great on her to small on me and I dont have big wrists.

My biggest watch is my BR, the lug are very short so it avoid o pop up outside y wrist.
Frankly, the squareness helps a lot; i'm not really sure why (maybe it's the tacticool look it gives).
I only once had the "wall clock" effect, otherwise only compliments..

VoxPop

Could you guys possibly recommend some nice watches in the $250-500 price range?

A daily driver for casual wear and one to wear with my suits.

I don't really know anything about watches but its about time to start.

Prefer a cleaner minimalistic look and maybe a nice leather band.

Thanks!

Top Bottom