• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

On the 'big watches' thing, let's do tshirts everyone! Some suggestions:

KEEP CALM AND WEAR A PROPERLY SIZED WATCH

--

#yourwatchistoobig

--

I don't need to compensate, so 42mm is enough.

--

Keep them coming :D

Could you guys possibly recommend some nice watches in the $250-500 price range?

A daily driver for casual wear and one to wear with my suits.

I don't really know anything about watches but its about time to start.

Prefer a cleaner minimalistic look and maybe a nice leather band.

Thanks!

Suggest watches is what we do, so yes we can :D

Just a few questions:

- What type of activities will this watch go through? Are you working at a desk? Do you take a bike on a rough road to go to work everyday? Anything else we should know?
- What type of guy are you? Size wise (do you have the huge wrists of the Hulk, or the girly wrist of... let's say me :D) And style wise? (casual, smart casual, dressy...)
- Finally does the message matters? I mean, there are pilot watches, diver watches, dress watches, sport watches... They mean something different. What would fit your life style/tastes best?

Finally - that's very personal and other great posters from this thread could have a very different opinion on this - but: would you consider putting the 2 budgets together and only acquire one versatile watch with double the budget? :)

Whatever you end up with, enjoy the hunt!

VoxPop

Suggest watches is what we do, so yes we can :D

Just a few questions:

- What type of activities will this watch go through? Are you working at a desk? Do you take a bike on a rough road to go to work everyday? Anything else we should know?
- What type of guy are you? Size wise (do you have the huge wrists of the Hulk, or the girly wrist of... let's say me :D) And style wise? (casual, smart casual, dressy...)
- Finally does the message matters? I mean, there are pilot watches, diver watches, dress watches, sport watches... They mean something different. What would fit your life style/tastes best?

Finally - that's very personal and other great posters from this thread could have a very different opinion on this - but: would you consider putting the 2 budgets together and only acquire one versatile watch with double the budget? :)

Whatever you end up with, enjoy the hunt!

Thanks for the quick response!

I don't do anything overly athletic except run and don't plan to wear a watch during that time anyway. I work in art direction at an advertising firm so I'm mostly in front of a computer on a desk or traveling through out the city and visiting our studios so nothing crazy.

My wrists are pretty small and girly lolol. I don't really know what the difference between those styles of watches are but I'm pretty sure I'm not looking for anything sporty.

I dress differently for each occasion and day. Usually just bummed out casual wear, nicer casual wear when going out or when I need to present myself in a nice light, and dressy when the time requires. Mostly form fitting though on all outfits.

If I have a strong attachment to the watch and really want it, then I wouldn't mind combining my budgets or even raising it :p But mostly looking to get about 2-3 watches for every occasion.

torontoml

Quick question about the atomic time keeping, I'm going to be living in northern Alberta, would this be a feature that I wouldn't have access to therefore wasting money on it?

So I kinda want a G-Shock for work but looking at the vast amount available on Amazon.ca the ones I like seem really large, 50+ mm diameter, is that as big as it sounds? I don't really like the look of the rectangle "classic" ones.

For example this is one I am interested in, http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00790LV20/

I don't do anything overly athletic except run and don't plan to wear a watch during that time anyway. I work in art direction at an advertising firm so I'm mostly in front of a computer on a desk or traveling through out the city and visiting our studios so nothing crazy.

My wrists are pretty small and girly lolol. I don't really know what the difference between those styles of watches are but I'm pretty sure I'm not looking for anything sporty.

I dress differently for each occasion and day. Usually just bummed out casual wear, nicer casual wear when going out or when I need to present myself in a nice light, and dressy when the time requires. Mostly form fitting though on all outfits.

If I have a strong attachment to the watch and really want it, then I wouldn't mind combining my budgets or even raising it :p But mostly looking to get about 2-3 watches for every occasion.

Might I suggest the Hamilton Field Watch?
H69419363.jpg

http://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/gents-collection/field/khaki-field-officer-mechanical-h69419363.html

I don't like the canvas band it comes with, but it might fit your casual needs. I would outfit it with more of a low-gloss brown leather band. That works both for dressy and casual.

Quick question about the atomic time keeping, I'm going to be living in northern Alberta, would this be a feature that I wouldn't have access to therefore wasting money on it?

Hope this helps
http://mygshock.com/wiki/Atomic_Sync_Signal

On the size of G-Shocks. I would check the Watchuseek forums for wrist shots. And while the big watch trend seems to be getting somewhat absurd, many G-Shocks are intended to wear big. No doubt this is to reinforce the image of ruggedness. I personally think that a real rugged watch is supposed to be small, as it is harder to hit or snag something with it.

If you really want a smaller G-Shock check the G-7710. Though it might not suit your style it is one of the smaller G-Shocks.

^-- Depends on how frequently you want to switch it. It's not as quick and easy as just taking on and off a bracelet so I wouldn't do it every day, but if you have the right tool and do it a couple of times, it's not bad. It took me a few minutes with just a regular small flat-headed screwdriver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Bar-...211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade7c75cb

I would just go with a versatile leather band that can be dressed up or down depending on what you're wearing.

A Nato strap would also fit that watch and your lifestyle. I think a nice tan or multicoloured strap would fit it really well.
I bought my straps from this guy. http://natostrapsco.com/ His service is exceptional.
The added advantage is that they are easier to change and they won't break the bank.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You guys ever accidentally stumble across the market price for a piece you purchased a year ago and realize it has sky rocketed? That's a really strange sensation of relief and excitement.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are changing bands on watches the norm?

Depends, a lot of people like to swap out the stock bands with leather / nato bands depending for the over all look they're going for.

I don't typically recommend Botta because I think they're a bit pricey for a quartz watch but some of them just looks so nice.

41brNZj1kcL.jpg

Here it's smart looking, casual or dressy, probably not something you'd wear when doing something particularly sporty. They're quality built, but then again like I said before it's a bit pricey for a quartz at $385.

Ok, you are an Art Director, you need an Art Director watch.

While the Hamilton is a very commendable choice in the price range, I don't feel it would work on someone who's life is about designing visual solutions.

I agree with Ghost, the Botta is a great choice with its clear iconic and modern dial. Even if it's definitely a bit above your max, I would go for the automatic version of the 'tres' with a basic ETA 2824-2, it's still affordable (around $700 new). It is quite versatile, so a good choice if you want to go for a unique watch.

But, if you want something a bit 'different' yet affordable, why not go with the Seagull 1963 homage? It has an authentic and fun heritage, a unique 'casual' look, a great 38mm face which will be perfect on your small wrist, and a touch of whimsy that hints the fact you are in the creative industry :)

If you would like to go with something a bit more 'classic', I would really try to look at vintage models, Longines and Omega have great small dressy watches from the 60s that could be a nice alternative.

Enjoy the hunt!

pwack

VoxPop -- I'm gonna echo what Sushiman said, and suggest you going hunting for a vintage Omega Geneve on a metal bracelet. Will be in your price range and suitably all-occasion.

As for the Botta recommendations -- how about also looking at Seiko's Riki Watanabe models if you want a more affordable auto in a similar design? Check out http://www.higuchi-inc.com/riki.html

"The voice of the people is the voice of Dog."

Hey guys. I'm looking for a watch again. The past order I was meant to place fell through (I was skeptical of buying overseas etc). I have style in mind. I really enjoy extremely simple yet elegant watches. I'm thinking along the lines of Nomos and Stowa. I, unfortunately, cannot afford anything close to the cost of those watches.

I recently found a beautiful set of watches designed by Daniel Wellington. They're more in my price bracket but still relatively costly. If anyone could offer up any suggestions keeping with this styling that would be great.

Things I also like:
White face.
Leather strap.
Rose Gold.

Thanks Timepiece GAF.

Hey guys. I'm looking for a watch again. The past order I was meant to place fell through (I was skeptical of buying overseas etc). I have style in mind. I really enjoy extremely simple yet elegant watches. I'm thinking along the lines of Nomos and Stowa. I, unfortunately, cannot afford anything close to the cost of those watches.

I recently found a beautiful set of watches designed by Daniel Wellington. They're more in my price bracket but still relatively costly. If anyone could offer up any suggestions keeping with this styling that would be great.

Things I also like:
White face.
Leather strap.
Rose Gold.

Thanks Timepiece GAF.

Hello again Panda, we could steer you toward the Rodina again, but that won't help your case, I would suggest to do it the other way around: what models do you have direct access to? (If you still prefer not to order online). We can help you choose in a shortlist I guess, but not much more.

Have fun!

Things I also like:
White face.
Leather strap.
Rose Gold.

Thanks Timepiece GAF.

If you don't mind quartz, Citizen has a few models like that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00843L74S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really do like this piece by Daniel Wellington. It's at the top of my price range but I wouldn't mind paying the price for a quality timepiece. What are GAF's thoughts about Daniel Wellington, though, quality-wise?

Here's the one I'm looking at, for reference:
Also, I'm going to buy this strap separately so I can rock the watch more casually. More thoughts?:

Ecto311

Anyone have tips for a good site to get rid of a watch outside of ebay? I have a Casio Gshock riseman, its about a year old and looks great if not new. Is watchuseek a good forum for this to be sold on?

pwack

Anyone have tips for a good site to get rid of a watch outside of ebay? I have a Casio Gshock riseman, its about a year old and looks great if not new. Is watchuseek a good forum for this to be sold on?

Most likely your best bet at that price range. Check watchrecon (which scours watchuseek and other sites) for expected pricing.

Vhalyar

I've decided to get a watch again, for some asshole stole mine a while ago.
I'm kind of stuck between these...

ILU68wv.png

Hamilton Navy Pioneer on the left and STOWA Marine Original & STOWA Antea on the right.

Note: I can't find the Pioneers locally, so it's basically impossible to check out the watch in person.
I'm leaning towards the white face Pioneer. It looks like it would fit well with any kind of attire, from street to office.

But I have this niggling in the back of my mind telling me that maybe the Marine STOWA could be sweet too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Had the Marine Automatic a few years ago. Good watch and great value for money, but somehow I couldn't bond with it:

Tugatrix

Can you guys give me a help here, For years I have been wanting to buy one of these:

mt-snk809k2_1.jpg

But I always had concerns about the precision of automatic watches, I know they will never be like a quartz watch but are they precise enough? what's your experience?

Can you guys give me a help here, For years I have been wanting to buy one of these:

mt-snk809k2_1.jpg

But I always had concerns about the precision of automatic watches, I know they will never be like a quartz watch but are they precise enough? what's your experience?
Well maybe not for jack Bauer.
But unless you have to syncrhonize with your SPECOPS team or you plan to do some celestial navigation, a Seiko will totally be fine.

mt-snk809k2_1.jpg

Thank you for posting this. This watch seems perfect for me.
Now I just have to choose between the green and beige colors. Black seems boring.

pwack

Very nice, but as you said there's something a bit off. I guess I'll be going with the Hamilton as I thought.

I'd do a stowa with small seconds, or maybe a max bill. The Hamilton looks cheesy to me. The wire lugs and the chapter rings on the dial are trying too hard and look silly and anachronistic rather than interesting.

Vhalyar

I'd do a stowa with small seconds, or maybe a max bill. The Hamilton looks cheesy to me. The wire lugs and the chapter rings on the dial are trying too hard and look silly and anachronistic rather than interesting.

Ah yeah, it's a truer comparison.

Wouldn't hurt to try, free returns for STOWA in Germany.

VoxPop

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been just browsing for a style I like and I'll link it for approval later. Also gonna check out some watches in person this week so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again!

That looks great. Also might get a steel strap for it. How easy is it to swap straps on that thing? Haven't worn a watch in over ten years so I'm pretty clueless.

Pretty easy if you have the right tool and a few minutes. You just use the tool to pull the springbar back to remove the straps, swap in the new straps, then use the tool again to hold the bars back while you pop them into the holes again.

Scalibur

I'm wearing that exact watch today. I love it. Plenty reliable and good looking piece.

maeh2k

Just bought a barely used Parnis Portuguese with a black dial (see here). I hope that it'll safely arrive here soon.

Hope I'm not going to regret this. I don't have that much faith in the Chinese watches, but the price was okay and I didn't have to import, so I'll give this a shot.
The Parnis Portuguese models look pretty great in all available colors. I really love the design. Unfortunately they are a bit bigger than I'd like them to be (43mm diameter; 14mm height) and their rotors are supposedly rather noisy.

Just started to get into watches, but the prices of some of these pieces are fucking insane. I buy on the low end, they are just a cool accessory, not a statement of how baller I am.

Some of my current favs

This motherfucker is big. I mean real big. I only wear it when Im looking to make a statement. Not really a smart watch, just one you wear with a nice pair of red kicks and snapback.

This watch just say "Im a Boss" imo. It is really chunky and commands attention.

Love this motherfucker. It is rugged and still turns heads. Probably one of most worn right now.

Just started to get into watches, but the prices of some of these pieces are fucking insane. I buy on the low end, they are just a cool accessory, not a statement of how baller I am.

Some of my current favs

This motherfucker is big. I mean real big. I only wear it when Im looking to make a statement. Not really a smart watch, just one you wear with a nice pair of red kicks and snapback.

This watch just say "Im a Boss" imo. It is really chunky and commands attention.

Love this motherfucker. It is rugged and still turns heads. Probably one of most worn right now.

I have to confess it's the first time I read someone writing about watches with this lexical field, and I find it utterly enjoyable. I mean calling a timepiece a 'motherfucker', now that's something :D

Oh, and fucking erase that Diesel motherfucker ffs. Edifice and G Shock only in this motherfucking thread bro :D

that diesel........ could not have made a harder way to know what time it is lol

that diesel........ could not have made a harder way to know what time it is lol

Who actually buys a watch to tell the the time? You have your smartphone for that. ;-)

Nah but seriously, I just use the digital display at the bottom
I have to confess it's the first time I read someone writing about watches with this lexical field, and I find it utterly enjoyable. I mean calling a timepiece a 'motherfucker', now that's something :D

Oh, and fucking erase that Diesel motherfucker ffs. Edifice and G Shock only in this motherfucking thread bro :D

What can I say? I went to the Samuel L Jackson School of descriptive language.

Can we go cheaper? Yes we can!
My Vostok didn't really cut it anymore so I wanted a cheap beater that could take a punch. So for a whopping 21 euro I got the AE-1000W. It's nice and light and above all a bit geeky. It looks smaller irl.

Ecto311

Just got this in the mail today from my wife for an early fathers day gift.
qbN3e92l.jpg

Really liking all the features compared to the riseman I had before.

bPod

^ Nice G-Shock

Recently got promoted at work and I am thinking of congratulating myself with a monster

I got a Tissot the first time around but I want something different

Yay or nay? Seems bulky though

Top Bottom