• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

I personally think that the classic orange monster is better looking. It looks a little more rugged.

I do like the new red and black and the orange and black version though.

pwack

I recently bought and sold an Orange Monster, second gen. No doubt is a very well built watch for the money, and an almost iconic design.

The orange ended up feeling a little too colorful for my life. Black would have worked better, or I should get a more relaxed life.

Scalibur

Shot of my 2 Seiko 5s
TIxYNcc.jpg

-Setsuna-

CreationWatches is legit, and highly recommended.
They'll provide a generic cardboard box, which isn't particularly worse than the original ones in this price range, and a manual.

StMeph

Got the watch!

<watch>

Looks better in person than I expected.

Now, first order of business is to get a new strap.

That color does look really nice. What kind of straps are you considering, and where are you ordering them from?

Always interested to find new straps.

What kind of straps are you considering, and where are you ordering them from?

Not sure, I'll probably check out some local places before looking for them on the internet. Thing is, I've got tiny hands and I don't really dislike the strap the watch came with. It's just too loose for me even on the tightest option. Also don't NATO straps cover up the back? I like seeing the mechanism when I'm not wearing the watch.

pwack

Not sure, I'll probably check out some local places before looking for them on the internet. Thing is, I've got tiny hands and I don't really dislike the strap the watch came with. It's just too loose for me even on the tightest option. Also don't NATO straps cover up the back? I like seeing the mechanism when I'm not wearing the watch.

You can get a two-piece strap that looks like a zulu. For example, here: http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

zulu2p.jpg

pwack

Opinion time Watch-GAF! I really like the idea of hardened cases. If you had to pick from the following, which would it be:

Archimede's new hardened steel Outdoor:

Damasko ice-hardened three-hander (which sadly lacks a bracelet for now):

Sinn's tegimented 856 (way overpriced, I think):

Or Seiko's hardened titanium diver, commonly referred to as the Shogun:

My vote is the Outdoor. Good size, simple design (reminds me of an explorer 1), color of their steel is superior to the ice-hardened or tegimented steel.
----------------
Also, looking at Archimede watches more closely made me appreciate this guy, which I may also need to pick up some day:

maeh2k

Opinion time Watch-GAF! I really like the idea of hardened cases. If you had to pick from the following, which would it be:

In terms of looks I prefer the Sinn by far. Followed by the Damasko. Followed by the Archimede. There are too many watches that look pretty much like that Seiko. Might as well buy one of the others and add a cheap Orient that looks like the Seiko.

Archimede's new hardened steel Outdoor:

Damasko ice-hardened three-hander (which sadly lacks a bracelet for now):

Sinn's tegimented 856 (way overpriced, I think):

Or Seiko's hardened titanium diver, commonly referred to as the Shogun:

My vote is the Outdoor. Good size, simple design (reminds me of an explorer 1), color of their steel is superior to the ice-hardened or tegimented steel.
----------------
Also, looking at Archimede watches more closely made me appreciate this guy, which I may also need to pick up some day:

The Archimede is great, but I would try it on before, as I fear the polished steel maybe a bit too shiny. My only issue is that the bracelet is really too similar to an oyster, but the dial and casing are original and feel modern yet simple, solid choice.

The Damasko is super boring, the Sinn is great, but I have very mixed experiences with titanium, the Shogun is just too big, and not as 'representative' of hardened case type watches as it is of divers.

From what I see the Sinn and Shogun can go as much as $1k (although I am sure there are much better 'deals' to be found), why not save up more and try to unearth a (fantastic and historically relevant) Rolex Explorer I from the 70s? For as low as $2k (generally more around $3k though) you can get a piece of history with a timeless,. simple design, why not? :)

-Setsuna-

Citizen's Duratect is also quite astonishing, ranging from 1000 to 2500HV (MRK, Alpha, TIC, PTIC, etc). You might find a model to your liking amongst their different collections.

Examples: CNG72-0011, CB0120-55E, AT9024-58E, AS7100-59E, ATD53-2981, ATD53-3054, CB0130-51E, PMD56-2952, PMD56-3081...

why not save up more and try to unearth a (fantastic and historically relevant) Rolex Explorer I from the 70s? For as low as $2k (generally more around $3k though) you can get a piece of history with a timeless,. simple design, why not?
Because they look like poo and have a finish comparable to the $200 watches of today.
In my opinion, there are far better timepieces in the 2500 to $3000 range.

Because they look like poo and have a finish comparable to the $200 watches of today.
In my opinion, there are far better timepieces in the 2500 to $3000 range.

My mom has an Explorer I from 1971 on her wrist. Serviced 4 times since the early 80s by her local jeweller. Still running perfectly 40 years after, with a bracelet in perfect shape and a nice patina on the dial.

I'd be very surprised If today's $200 watches enjoy the same life and end up in the same conditions after so much time.

And no it doesn't look like "poo" mate :D

Dscn10056.jpg

Edit: now I really want to try the Hertog Jan beer :D

-Setsuna-

My mom has an Explorer I from 1971 on her wrist. Serviced 4 times since the early 80s by her local jeweller. Still running perfectly 40 years after, with a bracelet in perfect shape and a nice patina on the dial.
I won't pretend knowing the Explo as well as you do, GS, but the one I've seen and handled sure left me underwhelmed. It wasn't even up to par with the early 60s timepieces I own, in terms of both build quality and finish.

I'd be very surprised If today's $200 watches enjoy the same life and end up in the same conditions after so much time.
Why's that? Watches in this price range have simple, well-tried and very cheap/easy to service movements. The dials are now more finely printed, and don't suffer from radium or tritium paint. The stainless steel is of same quality. The cases and bracelets are perfectly build and evenly, nicely finished. Some models even have sapphire crystals that vintage timepieces could only dream of.
There's no doubt to me that entry and mid-level watches from Tissot, Seiko, Orient or Citizen will stand the test of time with flying colors.

Can GAF recommend me a nice piece of....watch.
I have a budget of $160.
Should be a chain, no leather/rubber straps.
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...-snzh55j1-snzh55-snzh55j-mens-watch-2718.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...-snzf45k1-snzf45k-snzf45-mens-watch-2063.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...jewels-100m-snzf17k1-snzf17k-snzf17-1464.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...iko-kinetic-srn043p1-srn043p-srn043-4374.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...ic-sapphire-sgeg95p1-sgeg95p-sgeg95-4747.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...power-reserve-bu4000-50e-mens-watch-4734.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...-sgg601p1-sgg601-sgg601p-mens-watch-2487.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...seiko-solar-sne341p1-sne341p-sne341-4608.html

I won't pretend knowing the Explo as well as you do, GS, but the one I've seen and handled sure left me underwhelmed. It wasn't even up to par with the early 60s timepieces I own, in terms of both build quality and finish.

Why's that? Watches in this price range have simple, well-tried and very cheap/easy to service movements. The dials are now more finely printed, and don't suffer from radium or tritium paint. The stainless steel is of same quality. The cases and bracelets are perfectly build and evenly, nicely finished. Some models even have sapphire crystals that vintage timepieces could only dream of.
There's no doubt to me that entry and mid-level watches from Tissot, Seiko, Orient or Citizen will stand the test of time with flying colors.

On the test of time, I imagine you are probably right, very bad phrasing on my side (even if the comparison is unfair).

Still, I would really like to see which pieces from the same time period compare well to the laser focus design of the Explorer I in terms of build quality (I mean: small, thin, light, easy to use, close to the wrist not to get in the climber way, adapting well to pressure variation and super rugged to take the shock of the wrist of someone using an ice pick to do holes... etc.)

Finish is out of the equation obviously, it's an expedition watch, and a Rolex mate, let's judge this piece in all fairness :D

The watch had a purpose and was built with that purpose in mind, if one was to analyse its design and built quality today, and was to judge those with that purpose in mind, I think he would not be 'underwhelmed' at all, quite the contrary actually :)

Edit: and to mitigate my love for vintage Rolexes, I just wanted to say that the last SARX is as sexy as it gets :D

Looks like omega will be restricting parts to independent watchmakers soon. Well, this means I won't be buying a planet ocean or a SMP coaxial watch if I can't take it to an independent watchmaker. So that leaves me with the 2531 or 2254......but will be able to have my 1120 movement serviced at an independent watchmaker? If so, good. If not, then I'll buy a blue bond quartz.

shame, because one of the appeals of going independent is cheaper servicing cost. Not only cheaper servicing cost, but all the horror stories I've heard about omegas servicing is scary.

-Setsuna-

On the test of time, I imagine you are probably right, very bad phrasing on my side (even if the comparison is unfair).
Still, I would really like to see which pieces from the same time period compare well to the laser focus design of the Explorer I in terms of build quality (I mean: small, thin, light, easy to use, close to the wrist not to get in the climber way, adapting well to pressure variation and super rugged to take the shock of the wrist of someone using an ice pick to do holes... etc.)
Finish is out of the equation obviously, it's an expedition watch, and a Rolex mate, let's judge this piece in all fairness :D
There were a lot of watches matching or surpassing the Explorer at the time, be it in Europe or in Japan. Rolex was just better at advertising and marketing its products.
Sir Edmund Hillary wasn't even wearing a Rolex during the Everest expedition, but a Smiths De Luxe... But hey, who cares about the truth, anyway? ^^;

Edit: and to mitigate my love for vintage Rolexes, I just wanted to say that the last SARX is as sexy as it gets :D
Yup, the SARX017 is a sexy piece, and quite representative of Seiko's current obsession with what some of its designers were calling the "3D effect" (textures, layers and depth) in a recent paper. Obsession that gave birth to the SARX001, SARW004 and 009, for example.
The new SARGs are pretty nice too, but, IMO, it might be time for Seiko to replace the 6R15. This caliber is more than 10 year old now, and undeniably surpassed by its Swiss counterparts.

There were a lot of watches matching or surpassing the Explorer at the time, be it in Europe or in Japan. Rolex was just better at advertising and marketing its products.
Sir Edmund Hillary wasn't even wearing a Rolex during the Everest expedition, but a Smiths De Luxe... But hey, who cares about the truth, anyway? ^^;

Oh come on. I had this discussion a dozen of times already on TZ, WUS and the likes...

So, I will not fuel the fire again, but in a couple of words: Tenzig wore it, and although both refuse to say who stepped in first a lot of hints points to Tenzig / it was not only a sponsorship as it was a way to test the watch, Smith was just doing marketing actually as a simple sponsor vs Rolex who wanted to get the watch back to adjust it / No, it's not true to say there were 'lots' of watches who did the job better' in the early 50s.

That said, I already saw very similar posts to yours before and I know your perception of the 'controversial climb' exists (funny enough it's nearly ALWAYS the perception of Seiko enthusiasts :D).

Still.

I have narrowed down my choices done to 2 watches. I've tried on the monster but the face is too big so I might settle for the baby monster...

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tic-monster-srp483k1-srp483k-srp483-4670.html

Or

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...4.html?zenid=4f842776e85f6e425d59523ead6a09a2

Help me choose

Both are great choices, and you would be hard pressed to find much better way to spend your money than Seiko in this range. If you really have 'tiny wrist' I would go for the 5 as it is a nice 42mm and the monster bezel is making it much bulkier.

Also, I noticed the movements are not the same, if setsuna or another Seiko expert wants to weigh in, it could also help you choose.

Wear it in good health, and obligatory wrist pic when it arrives!!!

The first uses the same movement as the ones found in the old Monsters and skx range. The second uses a movement now used in the newer Monster range. Consensus seems to be that besides the ability to hack the 4r36 there is not much difference in reliability and accuracy. Both are good workhorses. I personally don't care much about the ability to hack.

As for a choice between the two. You indeed can't go wrong with either. It's all about which style you prefer. I personally like the bold look of the 5. The other one is a bit too conservative for me.

-Setsuna-

Oh come on. I had this discussion a dozen of times already on TZ, WUS and the likes...
But it's a first for me, since I don't lurk or post on watch forums. ^^

That being said, you're quite right, GS: this is an old topic we could probably argue about for ages... Let's not bore or downright annoy our fellow GAFers.

I know your perception of the 'controversial climb' exists (funny enough it's nearly ALWAYS the perception of Seiko enthusiasts :D).
If you say so. I guess that's because Seiko enthusiasts tend to be more discerning, and certainly less tolerant regarding the utterly pompous, hyperbolic, and often mendacious advertising used by many Swiss manufacturers.
;p

I have narrowed down my choices done to 2 watches. I've tried on the monster but the face is too big so I might settle for the baby monster...
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tic-monster-srp483k1-srp483k-srp483-4670.html
Or
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...4.html?zenid=4f842776e85f6e425d59523ead6a09a2
They're both Seiko 5s, and thus share the same inherent characteristics. The more recent SRP483 sports a 4R36, though. A caliber that one would describe as a hacking and hand winding 7S36C.

If I were you, I'd stretch my budget just a bit, in order to purchase a SRP491K1, which is a really great looking (true) diver, also featuring a 4R36.

But it's a first for me, since I don't lurk or post on watch forums. ^^

That being said, you're quite right, GS: this is an old topic we could probably argue about for ages... Let's not bore or downright annoy our fellow GAFers.

Ahah, I was mainly kidding, I should have added a few smileys here and there :)

Talking about watches means talking about those classic subjects at least once... First watch in space (Seiko vs Vostok vs Omega Moon) / Smith vs Rolex for the Everest / ALS vs Nomos vs Stowa vs GO for who invented the bauhaus design / the infamous 'Steve McQueen is associated with Tag because of the movie, but he was really a Rolly guy, never leaving his 5513' / Are homages just replicas? / why should you buy a diver when you never dive? / why are gshocks revered even by the high end crowd? / why is in-house so cool and so expensive? etc.

After dwelling into these infinite debates, one can get a bit jaded, hence my reaction, but at the end of the day those discussion are crucial to define who you are in the horological world.

Just quickly on the subject:

There are 2 perception of the Everest thingy, the one that considers that Rolex was really capitalizing on something external to the brand, and those who believe (like I do) that Rolex had an authentic and relevant partnership with the expedition, and really deserves the association much more than Smith.

(let's not forget Edmund was British, and REALLY insisted to have a watch partner from the UK (Smith Deluxe were enterily in-house and made in the UK in the 50s) Rolex was mainly trying to run tests, like they will do again with the Sub 15 years after with COMEX in the North Sea).

Generally speaking, I really believe that Rolex marketing is the strongest because it's not really marketing, but meaningful partnerships creating relevant anecdotes for the future generations. (and just FYI, marketing is my job :D).

If you say so. I guess that's because Seiko enthusiasts tend to be more discerning, and certainly less tolerant regarding the utterly pompous, hyperbolic, and often mendacious advertising used by many Swiss manufacturers.
;p

That's actually very true (well, at least in my experience on forums). But there is also something else than just disregard for marketing treachery, there is also a strong sense of classicism and traditions - that only Seiko, JLC and Patek really cater to.
- which explains why (and it may be different for you) Seiko fans usually like JLC and Patek, and usually loathe Rolex and Omega :) (again, I am vastly generalizing here, I am sure there are counter examples, it's just a trend I experienced...).

this doesn't make sense. None of those companies invented Bauhaus designs. In fact,half the companies you listed weren't even around back then.

I was just referring to the infinite debates, I am not saying all of those are credible candidates Jason... Also, there is a difference between the Bauhaus architectural style, and the design of what is often referred to as the 'Bauhaus dial' (which ALS clearly used first, although they cannot claim they 'own' it nor 'invented' it).

Vhalyar

Just arrived in Montreal and picked up my package containing this beauty.
Warning: hairy arms.

I have small wrists, so I was a bit scared that the watch would be too big, but instead it seems quite perfect.

The only part that took me by surprise is how thick it is, but I think with some americana/workwear it should work nicely.

I'm sitll keeping the protective plastic layers on in case I somehow end up changing my mind about liking that thickness.

I have small wrists, so I was a bit scared that the watch would be too big, but instead it seems quite perfect.

The only part that took me by surprise is how thick it is, but I think with some americana/workwear it should work nicely.

I'm sitll keeping the protective plastic layers on in case I somehow end up changing my mind about liking that thickness.

High five fellow watch Gaf Montrealer! :D

If you'd like to do some watch shopping, or just get introduced to the downtonw ADs, don't hesitate to PM me, I'd be glad to help :)

Wear your Hammie in good health!

Vhalyar

High five fellow watch Gaf Montrealer! :D

If you'd like to do some watch shopping, or just get introduced to the downtonw ADs, don't hesitate to PM me, I'd be glad to help :)

Wear your Hammie in good health!

Sadly I was only in Montreal for a business trip. I basically ordered the watch before my arrival, since prices in € are fucked up.

But I lived in Montreal for 11 years before. I'm kind of sad that I didn't get a bit more into them until I left, since the North American market is fantastic.

Beautiful watch! I love the blue details. And yes, hairy arms. They're like spider legs dancing around your watch.

Top Bottom