• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

VoxPop

So I went to check out some watches over the weekend and decided what I wanted..

It's WAY over my initial budget but I fell in love with it. Considering I'm going to have it for years to come, just going to consider it an investment. Loved the size and fit. They had a financing plan too to make it easier for me.

33110425101001-20.png

So I went to check out some watches over the weekend and decided what I wanted..
It's WAY over my initial budget but I fell in love with it. Considering I'm going to have it for years to come, just going to consider it an investment. Loved the size and fit. They had a financing plan too to make it easier for me.

Quick comments, feel free to ignore them :D

- Never consider financing for a watch, it's not something you need, it's something you want, and as such it's much better to save up for it, and pull the trigger when ready :)

- Pwack, another thread poster, has an Omega Speedmaster, ask him about his feedback :)

- (snob comment I know), in my mind there is only one true Speedmaster Pro, the Moonwatch, today it's the 3570.50, or you could find some great second hand or even vintage models with the cal. 321 or the 861. This watch is a handwound and should remain that way IMHO (vs a coaxial auto).

(this is very personal, I know other posters might feel different).

maeh2k

Can you overwind an automatic watch just from wearing it? I read somewhere that modern automatic movements can't be overwound with the crown, but that those watch-movers could damage them if they are set to turn constantly.
On my new Parnis I have a power reserve indicator and I noticed that it fills up relatively quickly. I'm a bit worried I might damage it if I wear it multiple days in a row :)

pwack

Quick comments, feel free to ignore them :D

- Never consider financing for a watch, it's not something you need, it's something you want, and as such it's much better to save up for it, and pull the trigger when ready :)

Agreed. Also, don't pay MSRP. Either buy used or make sure you get a good deal. If you need a lead on a good US-based Omega AD, PM me.

- Pwack, another thread poster, has an Omega Speedmaster, ask him about his feedback :)

- (snob comment I know), in my mind there is only one true Speedmaster Pro, the Moonwatch, today it's the 3570.50, or you could find some great second hand or even vintage models with the cal. 321 or the 861. This watch is a handwound and should remain that way IMHO (vs a coaxial auto).

Agreed. I like my Speedy a lot, but I definitely went with as classic a model I could find without dipping into vintage. The 3570.50 is the classic, and with good reason. Subtracting a sub-dial, adding a date, etc. dimisnishes the balance of the dial, if you ask me. Also, I love having a handwinder.

Blu10

Agreed. Also, don't pay MSRP. Either buy used or make sure you get a good deal. If you need a lead on a good US-based Omega AD, PM me.

Absolutely agree. I tend to look at watches for a few months before deciding on exactly what I want. Part of that is saving up to get whatever it is I want, but during that time I realize, as often as not, that whatever watch called out to me, a month later just doesn't sing the same siren song anymore. Keeps me from having buyers remorse a few weeks down the road when I find I am bored with whatever watch.

Agreed. I like my Speedy a lot, but I definitely went with as classic a model I could find without dipping into vintage. The 3570.50 is the classic, and with good reason. Subtracting a sub-dial, adding a date, etc. dimisnishes the balance of the dial, if you ask me. Also, I love having a hand winder .

I think this is definitely down to personal preference. I love my blue speedmaster, and definitely would not have picked one up if it was hand wound. Frankly I prefer the subdial configuration as a left facing arrow, rather than having them at 3, 6, and 9.

I'd say go with what calls out to you, just make sure it is actually what you want.

33110425101001-20.png

This is a modern version of the original Speedmaster. As much as i love the Speedy pro, i prefer this and the speedmaster mark 2.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just ordered this strap
CLwFGit.png

To go on my old Seiko Kinetic which I rarely wear anymore, but I wanna get some more use out of it so I figured this should breathe some life into it.

I think a black strap would have worked better but I kind of love the idea of of the brown with pastel colored stripes on it, it's really 70s to me.

33110425101001-20.png

Don't forget to keep in my servicing costs. With Omega restricting parts, you'll most likely have to send it off to an Omega Service Center and probably pay around $700, so forget about finding an independent watchmaker that'll service it for less, and most likely do a helluva job better than Omega themselves (with all the horror stories I've read).

This is why I'm probably going to stick to a 2254 when I obtain the financial means since it has an ETA-2892, and the watch in general screams bang for buck. It's always being compared to the Rolex Submariner, and the Submariner inches it out due to the 3135 movement.

Just ordered this strap
CLwFGit.png

To go on my old Seiko Kinetic which I rarely wear anymore, but I wanna get some more use out of it so I figured this should breathe some life into it.

I think a black strap would have worked better but I kind of love the idea of of the brown with pastel colored stripes on it, it's really 70s to me.

F71 Edition ;)

Can I get a recommendation for a tool (set) for changing/removing/adding links and straps?

Something better than a safety pin :)

Collection is slowly growing, thinking a Nomos will be my next one.

I like this.
My wife just bought me a 10 watch case and my collection is similar with regards to variety.

pwack

So my one quartz analog watch (a JDM sieko field watch) dropped from a bathroom shelf to the tile bathroom floor last night, and may have bit the dust. (Taking it in to the shop today). Assuming it is dead, I want to replace it with another quartz analog beater; I still have my G-SHock for digital needs. I know there are tons of eco-drives out there and plenty of field watches to go around, but am leaning towards one of the two following:

Marathon Navigator:
MARATHON_NAVIGATOR_DIAL5.jpg

Precista Benrus homage:
sPRS-18AonTFNATO1.jpg

Thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome!

Funny. The last few weeks I've been watching some fun 80's and 90's action movies and I've become quite fond of the tactical black watches that often get worn by the protagonist. In the last movie, Under Siege, Steven Segal wore a Chronosport UDT that I quite liked. The thing is, they don't make those anymore.

That Navigator has that same look. It's one of the better looking Marathon watches.The 24H markers seem a bit redundant to me though. But I guess that's part of the style. I guess Luminox would be another brand worth taking a look at when it comes to that style.

The Precista Benrus homage looks gorgeous.

So my one quartz analog watch (a JDM sieko field watch) dropped from a bathroom shelf to the tile bathroom floor last night, and may have bit the dust. (Taking it in to the shop today). Assuming it is dead, I want to replace it with another quartz analog beater; I still have my G-SHock for digital needs. I know there are tons of eco-drives out there and plenty of field watches to go around, but am leaning towards one of the two following:

Marathon Navigator:

Precista Benrus homage:
Thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome!

Both interesting choices, are you sure those bulky case will not appear very big? They look cool in picture but I am not so sure anymore on wrist...

Erm...

pwack

Both interesting choices, are you sure those bulky case will not appear very big? They look cool in picture but I am not so sure anymore on wrist...

Erm...

That must be a small wrist. The watch is less than 44mm wide, including crown (or 39MM excluding crown); less than 13mm high, and less than 48 mm lug to lug.

That must be a small wrist. The watch is less than 44mm wide, including crown (or 39MM excluding crown); less than 13mm high, and less than 48 mm lug to lug.

Could definitely be a small wrist indeed, but in my experience, those kind of cases look much larger than they really are, I would not trust the numbers if I were you and would try one on, just to make sure :)

Enjoy the hunt mate!

Blu10

My local AD is having an "estate sale" over the next couple of days, and they invited me out to get a peek at what was on offer. While none of the watches jumped out at me as a must buy (in the process of looking at a maroon black bay to trade up my orange monster), they did have some interesting pieces at around 50-60% off. The two that called out to me were the ball trainmaster Fahrenheit, for it's unique complication, even though I know it won't be accurate, and a Rolex oyster perpetual no date with the fluted bezel, that I'd use to eventually trade up on a Rolex I want.

What do you think, pick up one or both at a steal, or just get the watch I really want?

My local AD is having an "estate sale" over the next couple of days, and they invited me out to get a peek at what was on offer. While none of the watches jumped out at me as a must buy (in the process of looking at a maroon black bay to trade up my orange monster), they did have some interesting pieces at around 50-60% off. The two that called out to me were the ball trainmaster Fahrenheit, for it's unique complication, even though I know it won't be accurate, and a Rolex oyster perpetual no date with the fluted bezel, that I'd use to eventually trade up on a Rolex I want.

What do you think, pick up one or both at a steal, or just get the watch I really want?

Mmmm, smells a bit fishy tbh.

Still:

Never buy a watch to sell it afterward, it's a false good idea. There is a reason ADs NEVER get you more than 5-15% of MSRP on Rolexes, it's because you just always find a buyer for a new Rolex with that rebate.
If an AD proposes a 50-60% rebate on a specific Rolex, it's for a good reason: it's simply not selling (for a long time) and Rolex ask each AD to have a minimum turnover on their brand and have their pieces sold before they can place a new order. So the AD is organizing some 'private sales' to get rid of those pieces and be able to place a new order of the 'easy to sell' models (for instance: Rolex, Subs/DJ/daytona, for Omega, Speedmasters, for AP, ROs).

What it means, is that you'll be hard pressed finding someone to re-sell this piece to, or a second hand dealer who will be interested in swaping the piece for something else, you'll be most probably stuck with a watch you don't like and nobody really want to buy from you (except at a VERY marked down price, which means you'll lose money).

That said, if you like the Ball, and the price is better than the best price for a new one on Chrono24 (a quick search tells me around $2k), go for it, it's most probably a good deal :)

Blu10

Mmmm, smells a bit fishy tbh.

Still:

Never buy a watch to sell it afterward, it's a false good idea. There is a reason ADs NEVER get you more than 5-15% of MSRP on Rolexes, it's because you just always find a buyer for a new Rolex with that rebate.
If an AD proposes a 50-60% rebate on a specific Rolex, it's for a good reason: it's simply not selling (for a long time) and Rolex ask each AD to have a minimum turnover on their brand and have their pieces sold before they can place a new order. So the AD is organizing some 'private sales' to get rid of those pieces and be able to place a new order of the 'easy to sell' models (for instance: Rolex, Subs/DJ/daytona, for Omega, Speedmasters, for AP, ROs).

What it means, is that you'll be hard pressed finding someone to re-sell this piece to, or a second hand dealer who will be interested in swaping the piece for something else, you'll be most probably stuck with a watch you don't like and nobody really want to buy from you (except at a VERY marked down price, which means you'll lose money).

That said, if you like the Ball, and the price is better than the best price for a new one on Chrono24 (a quick search tells me around $2k), go for it, it's most probably a good deal :)

Thanks for the advise! Yeah the ball is 1.6k, and the Rolex is 2.9k.

Your probably right. I should stick with the black bay I have my heart set on.

pwack

Ball watches have never really appealed to me. I don't mind their use of ETA movements, but they seem somewhat overpriced for what they are. Also, I love lume, but their mix of tritium and more formal styles never quite works to my eye. And while I do buy watches thinking I may one day sell them, I do so only if they are relatively cheap. The loss you take at resale is, of course, lower for cheap watches. If I buy anything in the price range of a Ball or up, I want it to be something I keep for a long term..

Different note -- what do people think of this Bulova? Is it trying too hard, or cool for a cheap quartz beater?

BH_03.jpg

Ok,

I have a crazy idea, and i want to have a second opinion (if i need to get in the looneyhouse or not yet)

As you have probably seen, i've got a knack for pilot watch.

I thinking about assembling the infinity gems
getting a flieger from all the original manufacturer (not from that time model unless i come to an awesome rebates).

There was five:
IWC : done
Wempe: still in activity, not too difficult to grab
Laco: Same
Stowa: Same
A. Lange and Söhne: will probably be the most difficult/expensive

So guys, what do you think?
Waste of time/money to get 5 watch that are nearly the same?

nitewulf

waste of money and time IMO, although a luxury hobby, i am a very practical man, and i like to get usage out of my "things". i wouldn't wear five very similar watches, i would rather have five very different ones.

I agree. Besides that. I personally feel that watches have to represent their monetary value in appearance as prices go up. A flieger is quite a sober watch and for me doesn't represent it's value that well. Having five of them wouldn't change that. It's a personal preference though.

In the end, why don't you try to track down an original contemporary flieger (if possible) and settle for some real authenticity?

reggieandTFE said:
My poor man's automatic collection!

How much was the third one? (Rodina)

LS6MJT4.jpg

Saw this on Reddit. "Vintage Russian ZIM"

Love the design, would anyone know of any similar watches? I'd love something simple like this

How much was the third one? (Rodina)

LS6MJT4.jpg

Saw this on Reddit. "Vintage Russian ZIM"

Love the design, would anyone know of any similar watches? I'd love something simple like this

The Rodina is always suggested, but honestly, you could find the real deal for far less in this case, just have a 'zim watch vintage' alert on ebay and wait for it to show up.
Look at this art deco beauty for nothing!

Edit: I actually found it for $34 :)

^ you don't have to pay $120 for a decent senator sixties homage

google hmt janata (typically retails for $20-30)

The Zim is far older than the Senator Sixties design, I am not sure calling it an homage is really fair in this case :) (basically, the Senator Sixties is Glashutte Original actually celebrating their 'GUB' period during the cold war when they were producing watches like the Zim for the soviet union... Yeah, actually it's the Senator Sixties which is the homage :D:D:D).

The Zim is far older than the Senator Sixties design, I am not sure calling it an homage is really fair in this case :) (basically, the Senator Sixties is Glashutte Original actually celebrating their 'GUB' period during the cold war when they were producing watches like the Zim for the soviet union... Yeah, actually it's the Senator Sixties which is the homage :D:D:D).

thanks for the info, very interesting. :)

just curious what's your take on my earlier post?

thanks for the info, very interesting. :)

just curious what's your take on my earlier post?

I think that your uncle knows his stuff obviously, and while his take could be perceived as a bit 'abrupt' and also a bit 'absolute' it's definitely the words of someone who has been appreciating watches for a long time.
- I particularly like the fact he chose the Explorer over the (more notorious) Submariner to serve his points (as usually diver watches never really see more water than a hotel pool and some snorkeling :D), so yeah, the Sub is not really something anyone would 'need'.

On another note, a small, understated, simple, formal watch, and a small, understated, simple 'sports' watch, both without any complication? Your Uncle is a wise man I am sure, but he probably is not the most adventurous/funniest person either :D

On the flieger discussion:

I did not chip in since everybody already stated what I would have said - it's a bad idea :D - that said, trying to get a original A Lange & Sohne flieger from the 30s is enough to keep you looking for a looooong time Moebius, so why not just go for 'the one'?
(if you can get past the political links... But let's not open that box :D)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If anyone is interested in the Panerai Ferrari line, I have the Rattrapante 00005 available. Throw me a pm.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ok so I'm in the market for a new watch. My past two have been Fossils. They look decent but have considerable design flaws. That or I have the sweatiest wrists. Both my previous watches have had the the pins in the stainless steel wristbands corrode through. My first Fossil broke when the wristband came apart and dropped on concrete. Now my other watch has had 2 pins fall out and a 3rd is working it's way out. Since this past weekend, I've stopped wearing it.

So I'm looking for a watch that can best fit the following criteria:

• I lead a fairly active lifestyle so I need a watch that I can wear while biking and hiking all day.
• I only can afford to buy one new timepiece. Ideally my new watch would be an aesthetic compromise between casual and formal and not too rugged.
• A watch face that isn't too busy. Chronographs tend to be too ostentatious for me. But I do like having a date feature on a watch.
• Budget: the cheapass in me only wants to spend ~$100. Realistically, I can spend around $150-200.

What do you guys think?

maeh2k

Ok so I'm in the market for a new watch. My past two have been Fossils. They look decent but have considerable design flaws. That or I have the sweatiest wrists. Both my previous watches have had the the pins in the stainless steel wristbands corrode through. My first Fossil broke when the wristband came apart and dropped on concrete. Now my other watch has had 2 pins fall out and a 3rd is working it's way out. Since this past weekend, I've stopped wearing it.

So I'm looking for a watch that can best fit the following criteria:

• I lead a fairly active lifestyle so I need a watch that I can wear while biking and hiking all day.
• I only can afford to buy one new timepiece. Ideally my new watch would be an aesthetic compromise between casual and formal and not too rugged.
• A watch face that isn't too busy. Chronographs tend to be too ostentatious for me. But I do like having a date feature on a watch.
• Budget: the cheapass in me only wants to spend ~$100. Realistically, I can spend around $150-200.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a job for a Seiko or an Orient (if you in any way value mechanical watches). They have tons of models in that price range.

Edit: example: http://amzn.com/B0041LG08U

Edit 2: maybe you could just replace the wristband of your Fossil. Think about removing the metal band and just putting in a nato strap or something.

Top Bottom