• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Saw this for the first time recently and fell in love. Nomos Ahoi Atlantik.

NOMOS_AHOI_ATLANTIK_3.jpg

-Setsuna-

Tons of nice timepieces on this page. Congrats, guys.

I do wish I could make it a little looser but I have no idea how, this being my first watch and all. Any other tips you guys can give as a first time watch owner?
Just add a link to the bracelet, or use one of the micro-adjustments on the clasp.
I wouldn't recommend wearing such a big and hefty watch too loose, though.

What a terrible influence you are!

It arrives tomorrow...

Wouhou! Congrats mate!

The chocolate dial is the touch of originality that adds a unique and versatile touch to this already commendable choice.

...I need to give another shot at the Weltzeit 5th avenue edition (I live in Montreal, so EST is perfect for me), just to join the Nomos club :D

Oh yeah I forgot to follow up on that thing at the top of the page (if you're at 100ppp)
I ended up going through with it and I kind of love the results.

What do you guys think?

It's a delightful mix, the NATO balances very well the black minimalist dial. I am really not the biggest fan of the NATO fashion these days, but this is really charming and deliciously summer-y :)

Thanks!

Pay no mind to the feminine wrists. I love the heft and just the general feel of the watch. I do wish I could make it a little looser but I have no idea how, this being my first watch and all. Any other tips you guys can give as a first time watch owner?

Love this piece, would almost trade my Omega PO for it.

commish

Wouhou! Congrats mate!

The chocolate dial is the touch of originality that adds a unique and versatile touch to this already commendable choice.

...I need to give another shot at the Weltzeit 5th avenue edition (I live in Montreal, so EST is perfect for me), just to join the Nomos club :D

It's not chocolate brown.. it's "atlantic blue", which apparently is more of a blue/graphite color in real life. We will see tomorrow. Excited for it!

It's not chocolate brown.. it's "atlantic blue", which apparently is more of a blue/graphite color in real life. We will see tomorrow. Excited for it!

Well, after checking on google image and the official website it seems much more 'graphite/dark blue grey' than chocolate indeed, but why on earth did worn and wound applied a red/brown filter on their picture then? Was the photographer drunk or something? :D

Congrats again Commish!

commish

Well, after checking on google image and the official website it seems much more 'graphite/dark blue grey' than chocolate indeed, but why on earth did worn and wound applied a red/brown filter on their picture then? Was the photographer drunk or something? :D

Congrats again Commish!

Who knows with them - it very much looks chocolate (not that I am opposed to that). We'll see tomorrow. I will post some pics!

Never really had a watch before then for my 30th on the 5th of this month my wife gave me this

Now compared to some in here it wouldn't even count as a fine watch but I love it and would never really spend that on myself.

I was cautious about wearing it but decided to wear it for my 30th bash the Saturday after, got absolutely mortal drunk and woke up on Sunday - NO WATCH.

An absolute wild goose chase ensued for two days retracing steps, I was just giving up hope when a mate rang me to say he had it. It turns out he took it off me for safe keeping, in some drunk way I'm sure that made sense.

In short - this is why I can't have nice things

elfinke

Never really had a watch before then for my 30th on the 5th of this month my wife gave me this

Now compared to some in here it wouldn't even count as a fine watch but I love it and would never really spend that on myself.

I was cautious about wearing it but decided to wear it for my 30th bash the Saturday after, got absolutely mortal drunk and woke up on Sunday - NO WATCH.

An absolute wild goose chase ensued for two days retracing steps, I was just giving up hope when a mate rang me to say he had it. It turns out he took it off me for safe keeping, in some drunk way I'm sure that made sense.

A great story for a great watch!

Maten a fine watch is a watch that you like and you are fine with.

We might play the snotty bunch here but the only truly negative comment that we mean are the one that we think are a rip off and we think you can have better bangs for your bucks.

my SKX013 is my first automatic watch; it was 130 EUR, it's a very fine watch to me
my 103ST B&R by Sinn which is a very run of the mill mid-range Valjoux chrono is a watch i bought after breaking up with my girlfriend to get a new start.
Same for the HMT pilot, a 13 EUR mechanical watch. It(s a fine watch to me because it's my memories of Chennai.

My next watch will be a Seiko 5 Sport in 150 USD; it's a watch that i'm buying with a friend to celebrate 15 years of friendship, it will be a damn fine watch

The memories and feeling associated with your watches are creating their unique value to you that are totally uncorrelated with a pecuniary value.

My Breitling Sprint 2000 which is my dressy/special occasion watch:

Needs a revision though :(

What a beauty! Looks really like those fantastic 'top time' watches from Breitling, great modern design with an interesting and intricate valjoux inside.

And those are (soooooo) under-valued compared to their Rolex/Heuer/Universal Geneve counterparts, it's not even funny.

I am really totally in love with this right now (now I have to find it in 38mm, easier said than done):

IMG_4781.jpg

This is the best story I ever red involving a TAG, you should do PR for them :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This thread is wonderful. It's been great reading and seeing all the pictures. I've learned quite a lot and have grown up quite a bit since I first posted in this thread years ago.

Who knows with them - it very much looks chocolate (not that I am opposed to that). We'll see tomorrow. I will post some pics!

Post pics please!
I really want this model too, can't decide between the standard color or the Atlantik.

There's a store here in Dallas that sells Nomos. I need to stop by and see them in person.

commish

It came last night - I'll post some pics later tonight. It's pretty fantastic. I also love the standard color Ahoi, can't really go wrong with either.

pwack

This thread is wonderful. It's been great reading and seeing all the pictures. I've learned quite a lot and have grown up quite a bit since I first posted in this thread years ago.

Post pics please!
I really want this model too, can't decide between the standard color or the Atlantik.

There's a store here in Dallas that sells Nomos. I need to stop by and see them in person.

If you mean Timesless up in Frisco, then Yes you do. Dan, the guy who runs it with his wife, is a nice guy happy to geek out about his watches. And willing to bargain a good price for a nomos.

In fact, There is a Dallas-based get-together at the store next month for the Watchuseek forum community.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If you mean Timesless up in Frisco, then Yes you do. Dan, the guy who runs it with his wife, is a nice guy happy to geek out about his watches. And willing to bargain a good price for a nomos.

In fact, There is a Dallas-based get-together at the store next month for the Watchuseek forum community.

That is them, heh. I've been meaning to check them out.
Going to send you a quick PM if that's ok.

commish

That Lambda is nice (but not my style), but if we are talking about spending upwards of $20k, it wouldn't make my list...

That Lambda is nice (but not my style), but if we are talking about spending upwards of $20k, it wouldn't make my list...

I am a huge fan of both new NOMOS in terms of design and movement, but one could argue it's 'too much too soon'.

They built their brand image on a solid 'affordable in-house/authentic watchmaking' message and getting in the price range of the AP, PP and VC of this world seems a bit too quick for them.

I would have loved a SS version of both in the 7-8k range (which could still happen in the future I imagine), to start challenge the JLC/Zenith/GO and the likes, as going directly for the god tier seems like a mistake IMO...

Bah, we'll see.

commish

I am a huge fan of both new NOMOS in terms of design and movement, but one could argue it's 'too much too soon'.

They built their brand image on a solid 'affordable in-house/authentic watchmaking' message and getting in the price range of the AP, PP and VC of this world seems a bit too quick for them.

I would have loved a SS version of both in the 7-8k range (which could still happen in the future I imagine), to start challenge the JLC/Zenith/GO and the likes, as going directly for the god tier seems like a mistake IMO...

Bah, we'll see.

I would have to agree with this. I don't think the brand can carry a $20k price tag, at least not at this point. And really, it seemed to have come out of nowhere...of course, I say this with a new Nomos on my wrist, so I do have nothing but love for the brand.

-Setsuna-

Nomos will never be, and don't aspire to be, the likes of Vacheron or Patek, so releasing such a timepiece now or later wouldn't make much of a difference, IMO.
They're just showing what they're really capable of, taking pleasure and pride in the process. It's only positive for them, the brand, its recognition.

PS: I've seen a few reviews from actual owners, so there definitely seems to be people willing to spend 12800€ on a watch that they find appealing and qualitative, regardless of the name written on the dial. And thank God for that.

Nomos will never be, and don't aspire to be, the likes of Vacheron or Patek, so releasing such a timepiece now or later wouldn't make much of a difference, IMO.
They're just showing what they're really capable of, taking pleasure and pride in the process. It's only positive for them, the brand, its recognition.

PS: I've seen a few reviews from actual owners, so there definitely seems to be people willing to spend 12800€ on a watch that they find appealing and qualitative, regardless of the name written on the dial. And thank God for that.

Interesting point of view. Let me please (respectfully) challenge it:

If one company does not aspire to compete directly with certain players on its market, then it should stay away from their 'positioning' right? (in the case of luxury watch, you can replace positioning with 'price' I imagine).

So again, if the strategy is not to compete with the VC/PP /... why enter their price range then? Isn't it a mistake? Or at least a move that's not in line with their current philosophy?

On the other hand, it makes little doubt indeed that the objective of those 2 pieces is clearly to impress, not to take market share from VC or PP. It's a display of skills and more of a brand image item than a commercial statement. (also you could argue the skill statement is a bit void for the Lux as some WEMPE - which distributes NOMOS - models already use a very similar architecture for their caliber, so the skill was already there).

One can argue that NOMOS could have done a couple of those as 'PR' models (I mean not selling them, or selling them exclusively during a show/limited time...) to be displayed at Basel and the likes to showcase their possibilities more than 'new additions in the portfolio'. I imagine some people bought it as you pointed out some reviews, but let's be honest, it must remain VERY limited in volume (although I can't back this up with datas obviousy).

A couple of years back, I was in a discussion involving some 'GO vs Lange' arguments, with the main question always being 'Is the HUGE price difference between the 2 really justified?'.

Someone came with one reason that was particularly true: maybe Lange sells VERY few of the super expensive/crazy models, but they have them in their portfolio which instantly makes the rest of their offer, especially the more affordable models, more appealing as they carry more prestige. GO does not have those crazy 6 figures things in their portfolio (well, until recently), so yeah, the price difference between the 2 was 'ok' for some, because of those stratospheric models that pushes the limits of 'haute-horlogerie'.

And I don't buy this. I am simple watch guy, I don't care what the brand I buy from is able to do outside of what I am paying for, I think it's irrelevant to the purchase. It would be like buying a super cheap class A because Mercedes also does crazy high end cars. I buy a watch for what it means, its particular history (and not the brand history), and the attention to the craftsmanship especially for the movement, that's it :) (that's why I have a GO :D).

This is pure marketing to me, and I interpret it in the exact opposite of your post-scriptum, I think it means that NOMOS is actually trying to sell more Orion/Tangente/... by adding prestige to the name on the dial, and more appeal. It is ok to add prestige to a brand by pushing technical stuff, obviously, but again I think a company should do it bits by bits as I said before.

pwack

There are days I feel like I have two perfect watches.

First, my G-Shock G-5600E. A perfect utility/functional watch. It does almost everything anyone could need from a watch.
  • It's extremely light
  • Super durable
  • Quartz accuracy
  • World timer
  • Solar
  • Chrono
  • Count down timer
  • Multiple alarms
  • 200 meters WR
  • Decent looking, good form factor, fits under shirts sleeves

Second, my Nomos Orion. A perfect example of form. Ultimate simplicity with great execution.

Nonetheless, I still keep shopping for watches.

Pbae

The automatic white with date, the most basic one.

That watch is absolutely gorgeous and if I were to pull the trigger I would love to get the one with the small second dial!

I'll try and post some pics of my collection when I get the chance.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't understand Nomos prices for the US.
Let's use the standard Ahoi for example.

Price to ship within EU is 2,800 EUR (about 3,760 USD). Ok, that's normal, includes VAT and all that.

Price to ship to US is 4,060 USD which is even higher than the EU price with VAT.
Like other European shops, I would expect the US price to be about 16-19% less when VAT is removed. That's like 700 USD.

In fact, looking at German stores, their prices for the Ahoi reflect just that.
I'm seeing an average price of 2,290 EUR (3,076 USD) to send to North America which is about the price I would expect without VAT.

It's almost $1,000 more to purchase from Nomos direct or US based retailers.

Pbae

I've been rotating lately my Omega Seamaster Pro Titanium and my Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Squadra Chrono GMT.

The Omega is very comfortable and lightweight so it feels as though I'm not wearing anything. I have a smaller-ish wrist so even though I did like the stylistic design of the Planet Ocean, the SMP fits and looks better on me.

I've also been rotating the JLC quite a bit lately. It's a larger watch but it doesn't wear like one. I also love that it's a really stealth watch that most people won't notice.

Here's what the other side/movement looks like.

When I have to go out to somewhere fancy I bring out one of favorite dress watches that surprisingly goes with almost anything. Here it is, my Grail, the Seiko Mickey Mouse watch. A stunner.

People say I'm crazy and that I should probably wear the JLC out or any other watch but the Mickey Time just exudes elegance and class akin to the likes of a PP Calatrava.

Haters gonna hate.

I have a bunch more at home but those are the ones I keep at the desk. If you want me to post some more I can.

There are two deals on ebay (supposedly new items): Rolex Submariner Men's Watch 116610LN $6850 (20% off) and Sea Dweller $8999.99 (25% off). Think they're older models but wanted to share for anyone interested, not advertising for the seller. It's posted on slickdeals if you're interested.

-Setsuna-

@GS
The price difference is still quite substantial, so I wouldn't qualify Nomos, in this case, as a direct competitor to Vacheron or Patek. The Lambda is more comparable to a Zenith Captain Power Reserve, for example, while offering a slightly better caliber and a lovely curved sapphire crystal. The Lux and Lambda are not absolute steals, but they do seem rather well priced and placed to me.

Also, I don't think that Nomos really cares about adding prestige or glamour to their brand. It seems to me that they're just trying to draw some attention and show what they're really capable of when going all out in what remains a very competitive market.
As they admit themselves, they're still a pretty young manufacture, not that well known outside of some true watch enthusiasts, or certain specialized magazines/sites open-minded enough to care about mid-range watches, so flagship models such as these will definitely help them in their progression and visibility. That without necessarily sacrificing their philosophy; their focus staying the same, their communication remaining quite humble and the flagships themselves being relatively modest in comparison to some.

@pwack
Ditto.
I'm still in love with my relatively recently acquired SBGW001 (that I wear pretty much everyday), but I just can't refrain myself from looking for yet another dress watch to add to the collection... My current obsession being the Credor Node GCLH991. Its gorgeous white dial (the very subtle "24/7" actually reminds me of the Credor Eichi), perfect size and Spring Drive movement are just too tempting.
And it looks even better on a black crocodile strap:
(Quick and dirty Photoshop)
Xcz192O.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Heya fellas.

I'm actually looking for a dressy-ish watch for business meetings to look impressive enough.

I like the look of classic navy or aviator watches. Black alligator leather strap, not too crazy, decent sized face with a really clean look.

I know there are a million out there, but I'd like one that

1) Doesn't break the bank (under 1k)
2) Will be reasonably impressive looking at a meeting.

Thanks!

Pbae

Heya fellas.

I'm actually looking for a dressy-ish watch for business meetings to look impressive enough.

I like the look of classic navy or aviator watches. Black alligator leather strap, not too crazy, decent sized face with a really clean look.

Thanks!

Some of the ones I think fit the bill are as follows,

-Hamilton Jazzmaster Series
-Christopher Ward C5
-Seiko SARB
-Tissot Visodate
-Frederique Constant <--- Personal Fave out of the List

If you're feeling adventurous and want to maybe start a collection you could find an Omega Constellation Pie Pan which is beautiful and classic dress watch. Be careful though because you'd be purchasing a vintage watch and need to be conscious with what goes with that territory (possibly bad servicing or worse, none).

I have a lot more suggestions but I think those are some of the better ones from me.

Good Hunting!

EDIT: Whoops, all those are dress watches. Did you mean navy like dive watches?

pwack

Heya fellas.

Thanks!

You just described Stowa. See above posts for a Marine watch, or below for Fleiger and bauhaus styles.

iamblades

Heya fellas.

Thanks!

Beaten, but Stowa has the best fliegers and marine watches available for under $1k.

Actually it can be hard to find better looking watches for several times what Stowa charges. Once you go upmarket a bit it can be hard to find such a minimalist design, as watchmakers feel the need to tack on complications to justify the premium. Until it goes around the other way and you reach the brands that have no need to show off, at least.

For a bit less you can get something from Laco, which are pretty nice as well, and they also sell much cheaper versions with Mitoya movements instead of ETA. Stowa has better fit and finish according to everything I've heard, but I actually like some of the Laco designs more, especially their navy watches.

Also Laco makes fliegers in a size range from 36 to 45 mm, so they have more fitting options if you have especially monstrous or petite wrists, Stowas are all around 40 mm.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't understand Nomos prices for the US.
Let's use the standard Ahoi for example.

Price to ship within EU is 2,800 EUR (about 3,760 USD). Ok, that's normal, includes VAT and all that.

Price to ship to US is 4,060 USD which is even higher than the EU price with VAT.
Like other European shops, I would expect the US price to be about 16-19% less when VAT is removed. That's like 700 USD.

In fact, looking at German stores, their prices for the Ahoi reflect just that.
I'm seeing an average price of 2,290 EUR (3,076 USD) to send to North America which is about the price I would expect without VAT.

It's almost $1,000 more to purchase from Nomos direct or US based retailers.
have you looked more recently?

They now have dealers in the US.

But also, it seems they have lowered their prices, or made their prices 1to1 EUR/USD.

I was looking at the Orion 38 with sapphire back a while back, and it was like 2500 euro, but in US it was 3200. Now its 2560 USD with free shipping. I just put it in my cart and confirmed.... very tempting to just enter the credit card info and hit submit...

dallow_bg

nods at old men

But also, it seems they have lowered their prices, or made their prices 1to1 EUR/USD.

I was looking at the Orion 38 with sapphire back a while back, and it was like 2500 euro, but in US it was 3200. Now its 2560 USD with free shipping. I just put it in my cart and confirmed.... very tempting to just enter the credit card info and hit submit...

Oh definitely. Been watching for a long time and the US dealer prices are the same as their site.

And that watch you mention, it's now 1,760 EUR.
Same inflated (IMO) price. They're the only brand I've seen that does this.

pwack

I bought one of those less than a year ago. list was $2300ish I believe. That's a high rate of inlfation.

Regardless -- if you intend to purchase, call an AD (Dan at Timeless) and talk with him.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Oh definitely. Been watching for a long time and the US dealer prices are the same as their site.

And that watch you mention, it's now 1,760 EUR.
Same inflated (IMO) price. They're the only brand I've seen that does this.

The orion 38, was 3200 USD last year when I looked, its now 2560, which is all i really care about.

That said, their shopping cart is broken, when you first put a watch in your cart it shows the same numbers for in USD and EUR. But if you put in a european address you get the 1700 euros you are talking about.

Top Bottom