• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

A Citizen AR1110-11H might suit your needs, with its stylish yet simple dial, Eco-Drive movement and sapphire glass:

It also looks pretty good on a mesh:

Would you really see yourself biking/hiking all day with this kind of watch? Not sure...

As Maeh suggested a diver from Seiko/orient with a classy feel to it seems more appropriate IMHO.

Or if you are a bit lucky, you could find a second hand Obris Morgan Explorer for a bit less than $200.

e27.jpg

Edit: found one for $205

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Yeah I was considering looking at various Seiko models. I really like the stainless steel wristbands but I'm apprehensive if they have hinges and pins susceptible to crevice corrosion.

And as petty as it sounds, I don't want to replace the band on my current Fossil because it won't be the same factory band. I won't rule it out if I can find one I like.

Anyone have issues with leather bands and moisture absorption and/or odor? That's my biggest concern with those. I'd consider a leather wristband.

maeh2k

Yeah I was considering looking at various Seiko models. I really like the stainless steel wristbands but I'm apprehensive if they have hinges and pins susceptible to crevice corrosion.

And as petty as it sounds, I don't want to replace the band on my current Fossil because it won't be the same factory band. I won't rule it out if I can find one I like.

Anyone have issues with leather bands and moisture absorption and/or odor? That's my biggest concern with those. I'd consider a leather wristband.

You could just go NATO: http://de.pinterest.com/scotttimmermans/nato-watch-strap-inspiration/

They are pretty cheap, come in tons of colors, and it's dead-simple to change them. I suppose they are also washable.

I currently use a dark brown Perlon strap (kind of like these: http://pinsta.me/whatchsdotcom). Looks great and is classy enough for the office.

Do they make NATO straps that aren't extra long to accommodate wetsuits/clothing?
I like the idea, but I just can't stand seeing that extra flap that you "tuck in". I assume cutting it short would cause it to fray or unravel.
Btw, I'm only going by a video I saw on youtube about how to install a NATO strap. I might be misinformed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Do they make NATO straps that aren't extra long to accommodate wetsuits/clothing?
I like the idea, but I just can't stand seeing that extra flap that you "tuck in". I assume cutting it short would cause it to fray or unravel.
Btw, I'm only going by a video I saw on youtube about how to install a NATO strap. I might be misinformed.

There are 2 piece nato straps designed to look like nato's/ zulus that won't have the "extra long aspect to them" because they'll fit snug like any other strap.
http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

Because you're right, unless you've got the worlds most enormous wrists, the nato will have to be tucked in. However over time the tuck in lip kind of gets flush with the rest of the band so you'll hardly even notice that it's there.

Cutting them from what I've heard is kind of a bad idea.

keezy

Would you really see yourself biking/hiking all day with this kind of watch? Not sure...

As Maeh suggested a diver from Seiko/orient with a classy feel to it seems more appropriate IMHO.

Or if you are a bit lucky, you could find a second hand Obris Morgan Explorer for a bit less than $200.

e27.jpg

Edit: found one for $205

Wow... I was looking at Seiko's SKX781 and SKA371P1. But now after seeing those Obris Morgan watches I'm really in a bind! Those timepieces look fantastic.

Edit: I'm leaning towards a Steinhart Ocean 1 right now.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

There are 2 piece nato straps designed to look like nato's/ zulus that won't have the "extra long aspect to them" because they'll fit snug like any other strap.
http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

Because you're right, unless you've got the worlds most enormous wrists, the nato will have to be tucked in. However over time the tuck in lip kind of gets flush with the rest of the band so you'll hardly even notice that it's there.

Cutting them from what I've heard is kind of a bad idea.

Yeah these are pretty cool. And I like that there's nothing to tuck in--it would probably drive me nuts. I think what I'm going to do is get something like this for my current Fossil. It's a bit dinged up so it already has some character to it. Then I'll look for something else a bit further down the line or until my current watch craps out.

Wow... I was looking at Seiko's SKX781 and SKA371P1. But now after seeing those Obris Morgan watches I'm really in a bind! Those timepieces look fantastic.

Edit: I'm leaning towards a Steinhart Ocean 1 right now.

I just checked out the SKA371P1 and that's totally something I could dig. I wouldn't mind seeing that with one of those NATO-style bands.

-Setsuna-

I'd definitely see myself biking/hiking all day with a super thin quartz watch, blessed with a scratch-proof sapphire glass. Way more than with a heavy Seiko/Orient with a mechanical movement and Hardlex crystal, actually.

Edit: Oh, today's the release date for the new Spring Drive Tuna. Pretty excited for this one, despite its gigantic size.

pwack

-Setsuna-

Most, if not all, of these are knockoffs, though. I can't help but feel that supporting this kind of practice is about as weird as supporting Chinese replicas. :/

Don't most established brands produce homages of famous originals? The Speedmaster comes to mind as a very popular source of inspiration. Of course a good brand will give a unique swing to their design but the heritage generally is very obvious.

I don't care about 1 on 1 replicas including brand names but I get the attraction for homages. I do have a couple of them myself. For me it all comes down to price and design. If I like the look (and don't particularly care for the brand) then I don't want to spend the money for the original. I can however wear the cheaper version and still appreciate the design. The homages I own are based on some very gaudy designs that I would think of as buying as an original. Being able to buy the homage version of it satisfies my needs without having to break the bank.

If there's no ill intent there, then I definitely would not consider them knockoffs. No one is going to buy an Armidas or Steinhart thinking that it's a Rolex or Omega.

-Setsuna-

Don't most established brands produce homages of famous originals? The Speedmaster comes to mind as a very popular source of inspiration. Of course a good brand will give a unique swing to their design but the heritage generally is very obvious.
It can happen, occasionally, but the difference is that these brands don't exist solely in order to produce and sell "homages". Their contribution to horology is on another level.

If there's no ill intent there, then I definitely would not consider them knockoffs. No one is going to buy an Armidas or Steinhart thinking that it's a Rolex or Omega.
They're making money by copying someone else's work and design, though. Not legally reprehensible, but morally debatable.

After the Everest Rolex thingy, now we get to 'homage' vs 'replica', this thread is the PlayStation of watch threads, it only does everything :)

I got to agree with Setsuna on this one, yes everybody does it, but no that does not mean 'it's ok' - hence my Obris Morgan suggestion, at least you get something a bit unique and thus more meaningful.
In the 'same price' bracket I would always recommend a Seiko, or any original watch over a homage for instance, but at the same time if someone comes to me and ask for a 'submariner like for less than $500' I may try to reason him to save up for the real thing a bit, but I will quickly point to homages, as basically they fulfill perfectly the need of that market segment.

Finally, there is homage and homage. The Armida has its own twist with the hands, which is a nice touch (even if it unbalances the design if you ask me :D), Steinhart also has other models which are more original visually, so it's not ONLY homage, and my GO PML is not that shameful (even if it is in a way a poor man ALS :D).
On the other hand there is the Swiss Legend Trimix. Not sure :D

It just depends...

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Not sure where to post this, but since this is a time piece thread I thought this would be appropriate.

I have a like new Issey Miyake "W" Watch (Silay008)! Comes with retail package and authenticity card! Worn once and never been worn since, pretty much like new! Message me for price and pictures!

melos

My poor man's automatic collection!

I just need to get this Tissot and I'll be happy for a while. I'd love to have an Omega down the road, but I've got to put more into my mortgage for the time being, haha.

Nice, I've got a Rodina on its way to me right now and am looking forward to giving it some wrist time. So far I have a few cheaper watches with my Seiko Kinetic for my daily wear. After receiving this Rodina I'm starting to save towards an Omega Speedmaster.

Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up a Citizen Blue Angels AT. Its currently 40% off on Amazon Canada. So its $375 instead of $650. Anyone got this watch or had any experience with it?

Only thing I don't like is the blue/yellow strap it comes with and would like to switch for a metal strap. One review said its hard to find the right size though due to unusual dimensions.

pwack

Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up a Citizen Blue Angels AT. Its currently 40% off on Amazon Canada. So its $375 instead of $650. Anyone got this watch or had any experience with it?

Only thing I don't like is the blue/yellow strap it comes with and would like to switch for a metal strap. One review said its hard to find the right size though due to unusual dimensions.

Citizen is a good brand, although I have no experience with that model. That said -- don't rush to buy at that price. 40% off MSRP is a pretty normal street price. In fact, shopping around at places like Newegg or Jomashop (not sure if either ships to Canada), I can find the bracelet model for $380 USD.

Separately -- I am feeling a strong desire to buy a new Seiko. Haven't really had a pick up since New Year;s. It should probably be a simple three-hander on a bracelet, but I also love me some divers. Any opinions between these:

Sumo in blue:
S-SBDC003_g_large.jpg

New SARY:
S-SARY057_a_large.jpg

New SARY in white:
S-SARY055_a_large.jpg

SARX with teak-style dial:
S-SARX013_a_large.jpg

SARG (explorer style):
sarg009-a_large.jpg

Let's toss in the SARB035, regardless of the fact that I previously bought and sold a SARB033. {Thanks to the change in Yen, I can get a new SARB for about what I sold my old one for):
s_sarb035a_large.jpeg

Citizen is a good brand, although I have no experience with that model. That said -- don't rush to buy at that price. 40% off MSRP is a pretty normal street price. In fact, shopping around at places like Newegg or Jomashop (not sure if either ships to Canada), I can find the bracelet model for $380 USD.

Jomashop does ship to Canada, I used them several times. If you are lucky you may even get away with taxes :)
In the case this is not a 'need now' watch, Jomashop usually runs GREAT sales during black friday...

Separately -- I am feeling a strong desire to buy a new Seiko. Haven't really had a pick up since New Year;s. It should probably be a simple three-hander on a bracelet, but I also love me some divers. Any opinions between these:

Sumo in blue:
New SARY:
New SARY in white:
SARX with teak-style dial:
SARG (explorer style):
Let's toss in the SARB035, regardless of the fact that I previously bought and sold a SARB033. {Thanks to the change in Yen, I can get a new SARB for about what I sold my old one for):

Mmmm, that sounds awfully like me when I bought my SARB cocktail or my BOTTA TRES: no recent pickup, I want something cheap and fun to complement the collection, basically satisfying an itch, and add a bit of variety.

My humble experience with these kind of purchases is quite negative to be honest, after a couple of weeks the novelty wears of, and I find myself getting back to my other watches - expensive or not that's not really the question here - which I REALLY wanted (the kind you look for during months and finally find :D) or which I really 'needed' (the kind that fits into a specific activity, for instance my G-shock for biking).

So, humble suggestion, try to be patient and let that itch go away, except if there is really one you absolutely want, if not you'll just end up with something you may not wear in the long term.

Still, enjoy :)

pwack

So, humble suggestion, try to be patient and let that itch go away, except if there is really one you absolutely want, if not you'll just end up with something you may not wear in the long term.

Still, enjoy :)

Probably good advice; however, after the death of my Seiko quartz military watch a month or so ago, my collection is lacking a simple, three hand sport watch on a bracelet. I have divers on bracelets, or my Speedy, but nothing simpler that's not on leather. [Technically, I have an old 1970's Pulsar quartz I bought for about $15, but I don't count that.]

I also kinda want to get at SARY as a starter Grand Seiko and see what I think. Sure, I very well may flip it down the line, but I probably won't lose more thn $50 on it.

Also -- good news! I got my wife to agree that I can finally buy her a nice mechanical watch. Up until now, she told me she'd rather have the money spent on jewelry, and has been wearing a Bulova quartz [Well, she'd take a Cartier Ballon Bleu, Tank Solo, or Panthere any time, but a big ticket watch like that isn't in the cards near-term]. But I'm gonna spend some of my budget on this for her:
S-SRRY001_a_a18ba60f-9a28-4783-8b13-b9d8e7e08135_large.jpg

-Setsuna-

I also kinda want to get at SARY as a starter Grand Seiko and see what I think.
A Seiko Presage (SARY, SARX, etc) won't give you any indication about how a Grand Seiko really looks and feels like, IMO. Not even in term of size or weight, since the formers tend to be larger, thinner and slightly lighter.

You should keep on saving for the real deal, Pwack, or eventually consider a pretty close but cheaper Royal Orient (still in the Seiko family).

@GS: Where's the Breguet Marine, mate? You've changed your mind, or is the purchase postponed?

Probably good advice; however, after the death of my Seiko quartz military watch a month or so ago, my collection is lacking a simple, three hand sport watch on a bracelet. I have divers on bracelets, or my Speedy, but nothing simpler that's not on leather. [Technically, I have an old 1970's Pulsar quartz I bought for about $15, but I don't count that.]

I also kinda want to get at SARY as a starter Grand Seiko and see what I think. Sure, I very well may flip it down the line, but I probably won't lose more thn $50 on it.

Also -- good news! I got my wife to agree that I can finally buy her a nice mechanical watch. Up until now, she told me she'd rather have the money spent on jewelry, and has been wearing a Bulova quartz [Well, she'd take a Cartier Ballon Bleu, Tank Solo, or Panthere any time, but a big ticket watch like that isn't in the cards near-term]. But I'm gonna spend some of my budget on this for her:

That's different then! I did not have the background :)
Fantastic news for your wife, I have tons of fun trying to find cool pieces for my SO :)
On the SARY, why not, but I imagine the finishing will still be miles away from a Grand Seiko, so not sure.

A Seiko Presage (SARY, SARX, etc) won't give you any indication about how a Grand Seiko really looks and feels like, IMO. Not even in term of size or weight, since the formers tend to be larger, thinner and slightly lighter.

You should keep on saving for the real deal, Pwack, or eventually consider a pretty close but cheaper Royal Orient (still in the Seiko family).

@GS: Where's the Breguet Marine, mate? You've changed your mind, or is the purchase postponed?

Yep, agreed on the SARY :)

I change my mind an awful lot at the beginning of the hunt, but when I am set on something I usually don't budge :)
It's just a bit more complicated than expected to get the one I want in Canada, but th egood news is that MistakenMobius found one for me in Belgium, which, even I did not take it, helped me a lot negotiate a better price with my store. Still, I have to wait more for the piece to show up at the right price.

Just be a bit more patient mate, I promise I'll post a wrist pic as soon as I get it, and you'll be able to loathe my choice and its awful rubber strap :D - I'm already looking forward to it tbh :D

elfinke

After lurking and only very lightly contributing to this thread (and lusting after many of the glorious pieces you all share) for some time, I finally jumped in and requested a basic-yet-I-think-delightful piece for my upcoming birthday.

A Seiko SKX007K1. They were recently on sale for ~$150US delivered to Australia brand new, which seemed too good to pass up for what seems like a really nice piece of gear (photo not from seller):

XZ6mYMz.jpg

-Setsuna-

Great choice, Elfinke. The SKX007 is a true classic.
(A classic that looks particularly good on a black NATO, IMO)

I change my mind an awful lot at the beginning of the hunt, but when I am set on something I usually don't budge :)
It's just a bit more complicated than expected to get the one I want in Canada, but th egood news is that MistakenMobius found one for me in Belgium, which, even I did not take it, helped me a lot negotiate a better price with my store. Still, I have to wait more for the piece to show up at the right price.
Just be a bit more patient mate, I promise I'll post a wrist pic as soon as I get it, and you'll be able to loathe my choice and its awful rubber strap :D - I'm already looking forward to it tbh :D
And I'm really looking forward to your pics and impressions, GS.
Breguets are always special and worthy of interest.
Even those with an abomination of a strap. ;p

Wow I have a small wrist!

You are definitely around your size limit, but seeing your bracelet round shape on top and bottom it seems ok to me.

Wow how did I miss this thread for so long?

Any thoughts on the new Christopher Ward C9? Might not be a familiar brand to those outside the UK, but they've created their first in house movement with a 5 day power reserve:

Also I've just ordered a Nomos Tangente, so excited - I love the bauhaus style. Wanted an Ahoi but had to compromise a little bit or the other half would kill me lol.

Time is usually the best test for a movement, we will know more on the Cal. SH21 for sure in the next few months.

Aesthetically though, I can talk right now, boring and far too big for a dressy :) The movement looks 'ok', but definitely not great. What strikes me is the idea of 'in-house' vs 'manufacture', it was all conceived by CWard, but a vast part of the movement is created by other companies, which kept the price much lower than other in-house movement. That's an interesting philosophy, even if not super exciting for me.
I know than even high end swiss watches sometimes include a limited number of parts which they do not do themselves, but I have to say I like the idea of trying to have most of the parts in the caliber coming from the under the same roof, there is something romantic about it, and reassuring :)

Still, enjoy your NOMOS my friend, the Tangente is really a fantastic piece. (and make sure to send some wrist pics :D).

Starting a new job in 50 days,
Wondering if i should celebrate, maybe with a new watch.
Maybe splurging for that Zenith El Primero.
But then i have an apartment to find and a mortgage to take :/

Starting a new job in 50 days,
Wondering if i should celebrate, maybe with a new watch.
Maybe splurging for that Zenith El Primero.
But then i have an apartment to find and a mortgage to take :/

Start with the apartment, then get used to the mortgage payments, and let a few months pass to see if you are comfortable with your new budget. Only then, start thinking about that Zenith again (which I personally love and consider one of the most under-rated watch brand right now btw :D).

First, you'll have a much better 'peace of mind', cause you know everything 'required' has been taken care of already, second it's a nice discipline for the rest of your life (family/long time investment first, then personal pleasure), third the Zenith will not go away soon and by waiting you'll make sure you really want it :D (oh and it's Zenith, make sure to get a used one, as the markdown from new to used is HUGE).

iamblades

After the Everest Rolex thingy, now we get to 'homage' vs 'replica', this thread is the PlayStation of watch threads, it only does everything :)

I got to agree with Setsuna on this one, yes everybody does it, but no that does not mean 'it's ok' - hence my Obris Morgan suggestion, at least you get something a bit unique and thus more meaningful.
In the 'same price' bracket I would always recommend a Seiko, or any original watch over a homage for instance, but at the same time if someone comes to me and ask for a 'submariner like for less than $500' I may try to reason him to save up for the real thing a bit, but I will quickly point to homages, as basically they fulfill perfectly the need of that market segment.

Finally, there is homage and homage. The Armida has its own twist with the hands, which is a nice touch (even if it unbalances the design if you ask me :D), Steinhart also has other models which are more original visually, so it's not ONLY homage, and my GO PML is not that shameful (even if it is in a way a poor man ALS :D).
On the other hand there is the Swiss Legend Trimix. Not sure :D

It just depends...

Unless is is particularly egregious(same hands, same dial layout, same typefaces, same knurling pattern on the bezel, etc), it does not bother me at all that a dive watch looks like a dive watch, any more than it bothers me that a flieger looks like a flieger. At a certain point features and appearance become so standard within certain types of watches, that they will likely look at least vaguely similar.

At this point the appearance of these two types of watches has become so standardized and homogenized as a result of form following function that the only way to really stand out is to make an uglier watch. there are plenty of dive watches with over ornamented bezels and cluttered faces, I have no problem with someone making a classic diver.

Also worth noting, The Rolex watches would even actually be considered homages if we want to be strict. The Blancpain 50 fathoms is the source for the appearance of all modern dive watches, inlcuding the Rolex and Omega watches.

keezy

After about 3 weeks of pondering I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Sumo. I ordered it off of longislandwatch earlier this morning. Can't wait to get it. Will post pics once it arrives. Hopefully I'm accepted into the Sumo club :p

Unless is is particularly egregious(same hands, same dial layout, same typefaces, same knurling pattern on the bezel, etc), it does not bother me at all that a dive watch looks like a dive watch, any more than it bothers me that a flieger looks like a flieger. At a certain point features and appearance become so standard within certain types of watches, that they will likely look at least vaguely similar.

At this point the appearance of these two types of watches has become so standardized and homogenized as a result of form following function that the only way to really stand out is to make an uglier watch. there are plenty of dive watches with over ornamented bezels and cluttered faces, I have no problem with someone making a classic diver.

Also worth noting, The Rolex watches would even actually be considered homages if we want to be strict. The Blancpain 50 fathoms is the source for the appearance of all modern dive watches, inlcuding the Rolex and Omega watches.

Not sure I understand your post correctly, and I am not so sure in what way it's a response to my post, but if you are suggesting that the first Submariner is to the Fifty Fathom what a Sub homage is to the Sub, then you really should have a look at a few pictures online. The FF, I mean the original one designed my Bob Maloubier, is probably the start of a long line of diver watch design with several branches like the Sub, the modern FF, and a lot of current divers, but we were discussing homages, not just design history, watch 'genres' and inspirations... When you say 'if you want to be strict' it seems in the contrary that you are using 'homage' in a very indefinite way IMHO. In the watch world, 'homage' has a very precise definition indeed, and that does not include the original Sub, sorry :)
But maybe I just did not understand your post...

After about 3 weeks of pondering I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Sumo. I ordered it off of longislandwatch earlier this morning. Can't wait to get it. Will post pics once it arrives. Hopefully I'm accepted into the Sumo club :p

Congrats the Sumo is very respectable piece! Wristpic pls!

New watch -- like it a lot. Fills the hole I was looking for. A good, quality made, affordable all-around I can wear anywhere and not worry too much about banging up.

More detailed thoughts -- http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/sary057-just-landed-pics-initial-review-1054121.html

Excellent review, and great looking watch, which perfectly fit the collection. You did good :D

pwack

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a first-time watch. I was thinking a nicer, second-hand watch would be ideal. This one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Tag-He...224284871?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item46225dd2c7) caught my eye:

What do you guys think? Seems Tag Heuer isn't too popular with many people though. Any other suggestions for a similar style (simple, no complications the date, black face)?

I don't know much about Tags, but my very quick thoughts are as follows:

1. Look around. There are tons of watches in that style. Check out japanese market Seikos and Citizens, Frederique Constant, Limes, Nomos (different style, but close), read reviews on Worn and Wound and Blog to Watch.

2. Don't buy from ebay. Buy from a reputable forum member on watchuseek, timezone, or something similar. Check watchrecon.com for listings.

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a first-time watch. I was thinking a nicer, second-hand watch would be ideal. This one caught my eye:

What do you guys think? Seems Tag Heuer isn't too popular with many people though. Any other suggestions for a similar style (simple, no complications the date, black face)?

Agreed with pwack, ebay is not really the most secure place to buy from.

HEUER is a great watch company, and it has some 'hype' these days in the watch world, whereas TAG is crippled with a few big mistakes in the past decades (banking on the same designs over and over again, ditching in-house development for Seiko based movements - I don't have anything against Seiko movements, they are actually great, but Tag should be able to have their own - and overall lack of innovation except in the last 2 years). So yeah, not the natural choice of a watch afficionado :)

On top of pwack excellent brand suggestions, I would add vintage: simple non complicated dial are very common in 70s/80s design, have a look :)

Top Bottom