• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

@GS
The price difference is still quite substantial, so I wouldn't qualify Nomos, in this case, as a direct competitor to Vacheron or Patek. The Lambda is more comparable to a Zenith Captain Power Reserve, for example, while offering a slightly better caliber and a lovely curved sapphire crystal. The Lux and Lambda are not absolute steals, but they do seem rather well priced and placed to me.

Also, I don't think that Nomos really cares about adding prestige or glamour to their brand. It seems to me that they're just trying to draw some attention and show what they're really capable of when going all out in what remains a very competitive market.
As they admit themselves, they're still a pretty young manufacture, not that well known outside of some true watch enthusiasts, or certain specialized magazines/sites open-minded enough to care about mid-range watches, so flagship models such as these will definitely help them in their progression and visibility. That without necessarily sacrificing their philosophy; their focus staying the same, their communication remaining quite humble and the flagships themselves being relatively modest in comparison to some.

As far as I know the Zenith can be had in gold for around $9-10k new after negociation at an AD, when the Lambda is $18-20k (no nego as it's only sold in boutique), I am not saying the price difference is crazy, but it very substantial. It is the price of an APRO new (in SS though), bordering the price of an aquanaut, and in line with the first ALS offering (Saxonia in YG). Honestly at around $10k I would have agreed with you, but not at 18 :) I agree for the rest, I was pushing the envelope on the criticism just for the fun of it :)

Actually it can be hard to find better looking watches for several times what Stowa charges. Once you go upmarket a bit it can be hard to find such a minimalist design, as watchmakers feel the need to tack on complications to justify the premium. Until it goes around the other way and you reach the brands that have no need to show off, at least.

Really? I don't want to rain on the Stowa parade as I imagine I am the only one here who's less than impressed with Stowa products in general, but I would be very interested to know where you got this idea that it's hard to find minimalist designs at higher price point, as far as I know there are cluttered and minimalist dials at ANY price point from $50 to half a million. I imagine liking a dial design is a question of taste, but IMHO if you consider vintage, there are fantastic 'minimalist' watches - with much more interesting history and movement - that can be had for as much as a Stowa...

iamblades

Really? I don't want to rain on the Stowa parade as I imagine I am the only one here who's less than impressed with Stowa products in general, but I would be very interested to know where you got this idea that it's hard to find minimalist designs at higher price point, as far as I know there are cluttered and minimalist dials at ANY price point from $50 to half a million. I imagine liking a dial design is a question of taste, but IMHO if you consider vintage, there are fantastic 'minimalist' watches - with much more interesting history and movement - that can be had for as much as a Stowa...

That was mostly a shot at IWC, I must admit. They were one of the original 5 along with Stowa and Laco, and their modern pilot watches are cluttered up nightmares IMO, while being almost an order of magnitude more expensive.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The orion 38, was 3200 USD last year when I looked, its now 2560, which is all i really care about.

That said, their shopping cart is broken, when you first put a watch in your cart it shows the same numbers for in USD and EUR. But if you put in a european address you get the 1700 euros you are talking about.

Right, that's because you need to change the shipping country at the top of the store and then you can see the EUR prices on the main store pages.

And though it is cheaper now than when you last looked at it, it's even cheaper to buy it from a European dealer. From looking now, they range from 1,800 to 2,100 USD.
Even the version with the Date is cheaper at 2,400 - 2,500 USD.

That's basically my whole point. I'd save nearly $1,000 from buying new from a German seller for the Ahoi model. I need to give them a call at some point to see about how I can work that out.

That was mostly a shot at IWC, I must admit. They were one of the original 5 along with Stowa and Laco, and their modern pilot watches are cluttered up nightmares IMO, while being almost an order of magnitude more expensive.

At least IWC is still the same company - and retains a lot of their historical brand values - the Stowa of today has absolutely nothing to do with the Stowa of the original 5.

You are probably right when you say that IWC pilots are overpriced considering it's just a heavily modified 2892A2 inside, but I have to admit I was blown away by the quality of their bracelet when I tried it though, on par with the RO and Overseas of this world, for much less...

I am not sure this is 'cluttered' though:

19208-3.jpg

Hi guys, would love a bit of advice to be honest! My dad has got a birthday coming up, his 60th. He's started to get a decent watch collection going in recent years (couple of Omegas, a Rolex, a Tag, few others that I don't recall) and I would love to get him a nice piece for his birthday! However the problem is I'm buying a house at the moment, money is so damn tight so I really only have about £400 to spend. Have I got any chance at all of getting him something nice for that kind of money? I Would be absolutely over the moon with any suggestions or pointers. Thanks and all the best! :)

-Setsuna-

Are there any other places besides Amazon that sells this watch and ships to Estonia? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YWMBXS/
Seems unreasonable for me to pay 30£ postage on a 59£ item.
The SNK801K1 is an older model. You may find alternatives on CreationWatches.

As far as I know the Zenith can be had in gold for around $9-10k new after negociation at an AD, when the Lambda is $18-20k (no nego as it's only sold in boutique), I am not saying the price difference is crazy, but it very substantial. It is the price of an APRO new (in SS though), bordering the price of an aquanaut, and in line with the first ALS offering (Saxonia in YG). Honestly at around $10k I would have agreed with you, but not at 18 :) I agree for the rest, I was pushing the envelope on the criticism just for the fun of it :)
I don't know about the prices in NA, but the Zenith Captain PR and Nomos Lambda are similarly priced here in Europe (12,300 and 12,800 euros, respectively). ;)

Hi guys, would love a bit of advice to be honest! My dad has got a birthday coming up, his 60th. He's started to get a decent watch collection going in recent years (couple of Omegas, a Rolex, a Tag, few others that I don't recall) and I would love to get him a nice piece for his birthday! However the problem is I'm buying a house at the moment, money is so damn tight so I really only have about £400 to spend. Have I got any chance at all of getting him something nice for that kind of money? I Would be absolutely over the moon with any suggestions or pointers. Thanks and all the best! :)
There are tons of nice watches in this price range, but, personally, I'd recommend an Orient Star WZ0011DD, Tissot Visodate, or Seiko SARB065.

I don't know about the prices in NA, but the Zenith Captain PR and Nomos Lambda are similarly priced here in Europe (12,300 and 12,800 euros, respectively). ;)

Except one is boutique only, and the other is the most heavily discounted luxury brand at ADs - we are talking up to 35% of RRP - so this is that. Plus I know it's intangible, but the Lambda is a handwound, and the Zenith is an automatic which includes a date - so not exactly the same level of complications (but still comparable I guess).

(yeah I know, why the PR on the Captain if it's an automatic, right? Well, I have no idea :D).

pwack

My advice would be to get him something relatively unique, not just another nice-but-not-as-nice-as-he-already-owns watch. So maybe something vintage, something big/plastic/sporty if he likes outdoor activities (Casio Protek?), or something like a one-hand watch (see the below Defakto ; quartz, but cased by Ickler, who is very well regarded for their case work).

51953686290986322.jpg

The SNK801K1 is an older model. You may find alternatives on CreationWatches.

There are tons of nice watches in this price range, but, personally, I'd recommend an Orient Star WZ0011DD, Tissot Visodate, or Seiko SARB065.

Thanks mate, I'm not a huge watch guy, I wear an Emporio Armani one that cost about £350 and that's the extent of my "collection" so I genuinely wasn't sure whether my budget would suffice for a decent piece, looks like I might be okay though (phew!) thanks for the suggestions, some lovely stuff there.

My advice would be to get him something relatively unique, not just another nice-but-not-as-nice-as-he-already-owns watch. So maybe something vintage, something big/plastic/sporty if he likes outdoor activities (Casio Protek?), or something like a one-hand watch (see the below Defakto ; quartz, but cased by Ickler, who is very well regarded for their case work).

51953686290986322.jpg

Thanks again to you also mate, outdoors-y is definitely the way I wanna go for it I think, my old man is a big sailor and deep sea fisherman. So I'm narrowing my search to big and/or sporty. :) Cheers!

pwack

Thanks again to you also mate, outdoors-y is definitely the way I wanna go for it I think, my old man is a big sailor and deep sea fisherman. So I'm narrowing my search to big and/or sporty. :) Cheers!

Casio -- ProTreks and the G-Shock Gulfmaster -- can give you watches with tide graphs, barometers, thermometers, moon phases, etc. may be interesting to check out.

-Setsuna-

So I'm narrowing my search to big and/or sporty. :) Cheers!
But isn't his collection already on the sporty side (you mentioned Rolex, Tag and Omega, earlier)? It might be more interesting to opt for something that won't have to compete directly with the more expensive timepieces he already owns and wears. Something like a dress watch, for example. ;)
That being said, if you're decided on a big sport/dive watch, know that Citizen, Hamilton and Seiko have some really nice ones.

Except one is boutique only, and the other is the most heavily discounted luxury brand at ADs - we are talking up to 35% of RRP - so this is that. Plus I know it's intangible, but the Lambda is a handwound, and the Zenith is an automatic which includes a date - so not exactly the same level of complications (but still comparable I guess).
And there are also simple 3-handers that are more costly. The Captain PR was just an example, GS. A model chosen because of its similarities with the Nomos Lambda, but also for its appeal. It being one of the few Zeniths that I find aesthetically very pleasing.

(By the way, mate, what's your opinion on the Credor that I posted on the previous page? Should I go for it or keep on saving for a SBGH001?)

And there are also simple 3-handers that are more costly. The Captain PR was just an example, GS. A model chosen because of its similarities with the Nomos Lambda, but also for its appeal. It being one of the few Zeniths that I find aesthetically very pleasing.

(By the way, mate, what's your opinion on the Credor that I posted on the previous page? Should I go for it or keep on saving for a SBGH001?)

Oh, of course there are many more expensive 3-handers out there, I just wanted to explain why in this specific comparison the Zenith is cheaper and more complicated than the Lambda in my mind. Still.

On the two watches, let me please give some contradictory thoughts just to cloud a bit more your vision :D

I have always been extremely respectful of Seiko in general and GS in particular, for their authentic and historic approach to excellence in watchmaking. But I also happen to have a (very personal) problem with their models: they tend to be on the serious/classic side of the fence, when I am much more drawn to unique/specific/modern design in general. So it was with a lot of pleasure that I discovered Credor, supposedly started as a think tank of 'creative' minds at Seiko working on more unique/different design in general. In my mind, the best of both world, adventurous visual design and extreme attention to finish and precision on the movement/case/bracelet.

So philosophically, I would be much more in line with the Credor offer than with the GS one, because of the brand value/history, but also simply because of the crazy finish on the movement compared to the GS ( which is much more 'practical' and 'industrial' - a la JLC/IWC when the Credor is more fancy/eye pleasing a la Patek/Breguet, again, it's just the style I personnally like).

But in this case, I prefer the GS. Here is why:

The Node is a wonderful watch, but at 37.5mm, with a small bracelet, and a very clean/minimalist dial, it's the perfect watch for... My girlfriend :) It has everything I would want from a watch for a woman: clean dial, no colors, tiny SS bracelet and SS case well incorporated into one another, a small face, very few complications and only meaningful one (PR and seconds are probably the most meaningful complications out there :D), very eye pleasing case back with those wonderful bridges and their crazy bevel and the apparent jewels.
On the other hand the GS has everything you would want from a manly standpoint: big SS bracelet, 40mm+ face, angular and straight hands, mix of brushed and polished surface, decent water resistance, and globally classic and 'strong' lines.

You know me a bit, I went through a few brands - Seiko, JLC, some Chinese stuff, some German affordables, Rolex - and eventually settled for 'entry level high end watches' (if that means anything) as my favorite genre/range, and among those the APRO as my favorite watch ever. So angular and masculine designs is just something that works on me, thus don't listen to me and make your own choice, both watches are fantastic value and great in their own right, so why not!

-Setsuna-

Thanks for your detailed thoughts, GS. Despite your remark regarding the Credor being more suited to a woman (saligaud! ;D), you definitely made some very good points and, in the end, made it even clearer to me that the GCLH991 and SBGH001 are, in fact, more complementary than competitive. Shinshū' and Shizukuishi's distinct philosophies, priorities and sensibilities are undoubtedly apparent, palpable in these two models, and prove to be equally interesting, appealing to me.
My wallet won't like it, but I'll certainly end up buying both the Node and GS Hi-Beat before the end of the year...

Edit: http://vimeo.com/69341040
Patek <3

May as well ask in here, as I'm at a loss.

Does anyone know where to buy Jack Pierre watches in North America? They don't have much of a history it seems and they may even be classed as fashion watches, but they seem cheap enough. Some of them look gorgeous too. However outside of the middle east I can't find anything online.

Scalibur

unfortunately the visibility of the markers isn't too much better in person. The bezel and shadow cast from the bezel obscure the markers.

Man, that watch looks so unbelievably fun but I wouldn't be able to tell time on it quickly. Are the markers more visible in person?

I've been debating if I should get a JeanRichard Terrascope with the funky colors.

as well as the SevenFriday P1-1

I tried on the Terrascope and was disappointed with the finish of the case and the proportions in general, I also finally saw a seven friday in the flesh not too long ago, and it's a big boy that does not sit very well on the wrist... I would keep on looking if I were you, or at least make sure to see one on your wrist before pulling the trigger :)

I tried on 2 very interesting pieces at my AD today, the Speedmaster Mark II re-edition and the new APROO from Basel 2013 in blue/42mm:

I took a catastrophic picture of the AP, so here is a stolen wrist shot:

ap_image.3775718.jpg

A few visual thoughts: the Mark II is really great, but they enlarged the case a tiny little bit from the original which makes it a bit too bulky, but overall this is a win: original, retro and modern at the same time, authentic, and very nicely finished for the price.
Surely not the piece I'd recommend to start a collection, but as a complement it's a great piece.

On the APROO, it's difficult to describe, but I would say that after years of criticizing this line at AP, this specific model (again, one of the rare 42mm) is a homerun. Among all the pieces I tried this year, I could easily say this is the one that impressed me most on every level.
I would not consider it, because of the budget and the fact my wrist is not perfectly suited for that size, but god, it's beyond words. It just stormed in my 'top 5 pieces I would buy if money was not an issue', and that top did not change for years :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That Speedy was high on my list of watches, but once released it was just a tad too big for my wrists I felt.

Pbae

I tried on the Terrascope and was disappointed with the finish of the case and the proportions in general, I also finally saw a seven friday in the flesh not too long ago, and it's a big boy that does not sit very well on the wrist... I would keep on looking if I were you, or at least make sure to see one on your wrist before pulling the trigger :)

ap_image.3775718.jpg

Yeah, I would definitely need to to try it on after I got burned on a whim purchase of a B&M Capeland Flyback. Ugh, such a beautiful watch that looked way out of place on my wrist.

Also, that RO is beautiful. I very tempted to get a RO classic with a slate grey face.

I love that speedy mark II!

That Speedy was high on my list of watches, but once released it was just a tad too big for my wrists I felt.

Yeah I tend to agree with you commish, it looks great on picture, but while on the wrist the 'anthentic bulky-ness of the 70s' suddenly feels heavy and not that usefull... :(

Credor is torturing me again: http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/whatsnew/pressrelease/20140818/
tsVWWwB.png

This GBLT999, also known as &#21473;&#26234;II (Eichi II), is everything I'm looking for in a dress watch. But perfection has a price. An inaccessible price... 5,500,000&#20870; / 40k&#8364; / 53k$.

;_;

With all due respect to the (crazy good) Credor output, if $50k is a budget you are contemplating, I would argue there are even more interesting pieces to be had for that price range. Technically you are not too far away from a second hand P. Dufour simplicity :D
(that said, that movement finish on that credor is absolutely gorgeous....)

Yeah, I would definitely need to to try it on after I got burned on a whim purchase of a B&M Capeland Flyback. Ugh, such a beautiful watch that looked way out of place on my wrist.

Also, that RO is beautiful. I very tempted to get a RO classic with a slate grey face.

I am confused by your post :)

First, this is an offshore, not a RO, second, it's a $30k watch, so not sure it's comparable to the Capeland (but I imagine you just meant 'big like the capeland' :D), and third, the classic RO does not exist in grey (at least today - it's a white/black dial in ADs, and Blue in AP boutique only).

(that said, the RO is my favorite watch, so please, consider it indeed :D)

-Setsuna-

With all due respect to the (crazy good) Credor output, if $50k is a budget you are contemplating, I would argue there are even more interesting pieces to be had for that price range. Technically you are not too far away from a second hand P. Dufour simplicity :D
Dufour's Simplicity sure is/was exquisite, but the Eichi II has some serious assets, or advantages, such as a platinum case, hand-painted porcelain dial, and very unique Spring Drive caliber. It is also perfectly sized, entirely in-house produced, and, in fine, even rarer than the Simplicity.

(that said, that movement finish on that credor is absolutely gorgeous....)
They actually have to thank Philippe Dufour for that, as he often worked as an unofficial consultant for Credor and the Micro Artist Studio. :)

Edit
New pics:

Epic Drop

I've always been too self conscious to wear a watch, because I have very small wrists for a man (~5.5"-5.75") and I've been nervous that a watch would look stupid on me. But, I really like how they look, and I love the mechanical intricacies of them. I just love the idea of having an engineering masterpiece on my wrist. I've decided to try to get over my own insecurity, and I'm looking at buying my first watch.

1. Is there a rule of thumb for the case size of the watch compared to one's wrist size? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the case size I should be aiming for? I just don't want to find a watch and fall in love with it only to realize that it would look absurd on my small wrist.
  2. I like watches that have white faces, blue hands, and multiple dials, and I'm hoping to spend less than $400. Does anyone have suggestions that fit this criteria? I don't know much about watches, so I'm just picking ones I think look cool. I'm currently looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00843L4S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO4FSDW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038OLUMM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy cow... just came across Rossling & Co... beautiful: http://www.rosslingco.com/collections/watches/products/silver-white-blued-hands

pwack

I've always been too self conscious to wear a watch, because I have very small wrists for a man (~5.5"-5.75") and I've been nervous that a watch would look stupid on me. But, I really like how they look, and I love the mechanical intricacies of them. I just love the idea of having an engineering masterpiece on my wrist. I've decided to try to get over my own insecurity, and I'm looking at buying my first watch.

1. Is there a rule of thumb for the case size of the watch compared to one's wrist size? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the case size I should be aiming for? I just don't want to find a watch and fall in love with it only to realize that it would look absurd on my small wrist.
  2. I like watches that have white faces, blue hands, and multiple dials, and I'm hoping to spend less than $400. Does anyone have suggestions that fit this criteria? I don't know much about watches, so I'm just picking ones I think look cool. I'm currently looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00843L4S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO4FSDW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038OLUMM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy cow... just came across Rossling & Co... beautiful: http://www.rosslingco.com/collections/watches/products/silver-white-blued-hands

At your wrist size, you are going to want something under 40mm for sure; probably 36-38mm.

The Rossling watch is crap and overpriced. It is jumping on the very popular at the moment Bauhaus style, but you can get a better watch at a lower price. Check out this: http://www.watchitallabout.com/rodina-r005-bauhaus-watch-review/

^ wouldn't a rodina look ridiculous on his wrist due it wearing larger than its size (minimal bezel and long lugs)?

i'd recommend a watch between 34-36mm (classic gent's watch size)

pwack

^ wouldn't a rodina look ridiculous on his wrist due it wearing larger than its size (minimal bezel and long lugs)?

i'd recommend a watch between 34-36mm (classic gent's watch size)

Probably, but still smaller than what the picked out.

Ideal, while keeping a clean Bauhaus style, would be a small Nomos or the 34mm Max Bill handwinder.

Nice to see your question answered:)

Thx :)

So, as the post on reddit gave away, I just acquired a Heuer Carrera 1153 from 1969 with a nice Cal. 11 inside from a shop in Amsterdam.

As I confessed already I was just mesmerized by 'colorful' chronos from the 60s/70s for months - by colorful I am referring to the often 'bright orange/flashy red' second hands, the deep blue for the dials, and the colored lume/silver subdials on top of it, all typical from this time period and deliciously charming to me today. (and I am not the only one seeing how many 'anniversary edition' from this time period the Tag Heuer / Brietling / and Omegas of today are pushing to the market for a few years....)

After looking at some Pre-moon for a while, but also some Brietlings, and some Longines, I settled for this Heuer. I hesitated a bit between this and a Camaro, but I could not find any colorfoul ones in such good shape with the gay frere bracelet (which I want for 'authenticity' and value, but which I also may very quickly swap for a leather strap, maybe with stitching echoing the dial colors... Or some kind of 'racing' strap... I'll see).

Just a couple of pictures of the beast that the shop sent:

Jake.

for the life of me i can't remove the fucking z22 rubber diving strap from my seiko 007...i've looked up all these 'tips' (razor blade, swiss army knife, dental floss) and still can't get it off. hopefully i haven't fucked the lugs or anything but i've never had so much difficulty before with a strap before. would a jewellery store do it? i've noticed it clicks now so i'm not sure if i've damaged the springbar or its half in/out or what...ugh.

LProtag

Just getting into the idea of getting a decent watch.

Massively broke right now though, so I used some Amazon credit and got one of the military styled Seiko 5's and a replacement NATO strap.

I'm a teacher, so I don't have to look super-business like all the time, just respectable. Not worried about status symbols or anything, obviously.

Knowing this thread I'm probably LTTP on this, but MAH GAWD:

Now that is a bloody attractive watch. Why is it that seemingly all reasonably priced (I'm talking <£100) watches are ugly as sin compared to these sorts of things?

Timex do some surprisingly attractive watches at decent prices, but sadly they're far to large for my skinny wrists.

Hieberrr

I know homage watches are usually scoffed at, but I just ordered the Parnis Power Reserve (IWC Portuguese homage). I can't wait for it to come.

I'm also potentially going to get this Pagani.

One day, IWC... one day.

Top Bottom