• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

What does everyone think of Frederique Constant? I've never heard of them but I'm not much of a collector. I was gifted this from my brother:

sFzdg1X.jpg

So I bought an Orient Mako about a month ago.

It runs about 7-10 seconds fast a day. The Invicta pro diver I have with the Seiko movement is a bit more accurate. That one is only fast 5 seconds a day usually. And it's both hackable and windable.

Orient has far better build though, needless to say.

Saw a hydroconquest in the flesh, today. Two tone, blue and gold quartz. Eh, not impressed for $1000 watch. The dial and hands are damn ugly.

I also saw an skx009 quartz today, too. Was amazed at the quality for the price.

which gaffer here has the sarb033? How do you like it? Would you say the watch should cost more due to the quality?

pwack

Saw a hydroconquest in the flesh, today. Two tone, blue and gold quartz. Eh, not impressed for $1000 watch. The dial and hands are damn ugly.

I also saw an skx009 quartz today, too. Was amazed at the quality for the price.

which gaffer here has the sarb033? How do you like it? Would you say the watch should cost more due to the quality?

Wearing mine at the moment. I agree that the hydroconquest isn't imoressive; the SARB has higher quality dial, indices, and hands IMO.

I think the SARB is great. True all-around watch. I paid $500 for one a few years ago and thought it was a good deal then (stupidly flipped it). It's a steal at $300. With a swatch brand logo and an eta movement, it would be priced above $650.

That said, for maximum bang for buck, look for a citizen auto.

I don't have a 033 but a 065 on strap. The deviation is 'ok', the overall case finish is very good for the price point, and the fit is honest. I would say the dial and hands is really where the watch shines - especially on the 065. Also, go for the bracelet, the leather strap is absolute garbage.

The only issue I have with my Sarb is how little I wear it compared to my other pieces, but it has nothing to do with its quality, still I would strongly suggest it to a 'one watch guy' :)

Bond's new watch?

attachment.php

It looks.....different than any of the current lineup. It almost looks like an updated 2254. The lugs are short and it has sword hands.

Usually when there's a press conference for Bond, we get an idea of the new watch. If it's new, could be unveiled at Baselword?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
is this the normal packaging for a Speedy Pro these days???? or did you get a special edition of some sort.

It's the normal packaging for the 2014 models.
That also included a price increase for all models, but the deal I got offset that.

The NATO strap included is actually quite nice. Softer than any I've ever felt.
The other is an extra long velcro strap that is a copy of the type NASA uses to fit on the outside of a spacesuit I guess.

pwack

Damn, Omega has stepped up their packaging since the Speedy I bought.

Did I ever mention I sold the Speedy I bought? Found I just wasn't wearing it and was scared of hurting it. I think I have a psychological block with wearing a $4500 MSRP watch around, even if I bought it used for much less. Also didn't hurt that it could have used some service (register creep on the main dail and the hour totalizer) which is expensive if you go through Omega. So I cashed it in and used some of the money to buy my wife earrings. Only took a $250 hit for a year of ownership, so not the end of the world.

Now I'm looking at this guy:

Limited edition, auto, hardened titanium, and cheap-ish (thanks, exchange rate)

Damn, Omega has stepped up their packaging since the Speedy I bought.

Did I ever mention I sold the Speedy I bought? Found I just wasn't wearing it and was scared of hurting it. I think I have a psychological block with wearing a $4500 MSRP watch around, even if I bought it used for much less. Also didn't hurt that it could have used some service (register creep on the main dail and the hour totalizer) which is expensive if you go through Omega. So I cashed it in and used some of the money to buy my wife earrings. Only took a $250 hit for a year of ownership, so not the end of the world.

Now I'm looking at this guy:

Limited edition, auto, hardened titanium, and cheap-ish (thanks, exchange rate)

That's courageous and pragmatic, bravo.

I read so many people bragging about their expensive pieces to eventually explain they spend their time babysitting them and leaving them for any 'dangerous' situation. To me, and I know this is a bit extreme :D, if you are constantly trying to avoid dings and don't feel at ease with banging your watch into something, you are just not ready for it.

I keep my APRO on when swiming, I washes the dishes with it, and yeah, it has dings, quite a lot actually, but I don't care. I own my watches, not the other way around :)

edit: on the SEIKO, great piece, but please try titanium stuff if you did not already, the weight and texture of those things can be an issue for some people...

pwack

That's courageous and pragmatic, bravo.

I read so many people bragging about their expensive pieces to eventually explain they spend their time babysitting them and taking them out for any 'dangerous' situation. To me, and I know this is a bit extreme :D, if you are constantly trying to avoid dings and don't feel at ease with banging your watch into something, you are just not ready for it.

I keep my APRO on when swiming, I washes the dishes with it, and yeah, it has dings, quite a lot actually, but I don't care. I own my watches, not the other way around :)

edit: on the SEIKO, great piece, but please try titanium stuff if you did not already, the weight and texture of those things can be an issue for some people...

Thanks.

As for the dings -- if I bought something that was a true high-end "sports" watch, say a Sub or something like your APRO, I'd like to think I'd be down with some wabi showing up over time. However, for some reason, the Speedy didn't fall into the category. Too dressy? I don't know. I have no issue with my Nomos (currently my most expensive watch, and far dressier). But it has a much lower MSRP, even if the actual out of pocket cost for me wasn't that dissimilar.

I've tried on titanium, including the Grand Seiko Snowflake. It is crazy how light it is. Felt like plastic at first.

you take your RO swimming?

you're a brave person mister sushi

50m WR wouldn't ever see more than the inside of a sink in my case

Yeah, well, let's be perfectly honest, I do swim with it in pools, take it to the steam bath and may take a shower with it after, but I do so because I have the WR tested by my AD each year, and I always verify if my crown is properly screwed down, generally twice :), before each dive... I am brave, but not foolhardy :D

And if we are talking sea water/beach (hence sand...) then it's I will opt for the Gshock, no questions :)

Forsete

Well the day has finally come. My very own Marinemaster. :p
Many years of lusting for this watch (thanks to OnkelC and this thread) has ended.

It arrived from Hong Kong via DHL Express, only one day in shipping, mighty impressive.

15798656377_a08ebddd76_h.jpg

15797097770_648c1b99e5_h.jpg

I haven't sized the watch yet, as the tools haven't arrived (ordered a cheap kit from the UK last week). My old method of using a small needle to punch out the pins in the bracelet has worked well in the past, but I dont want to risk slipping and scratching this watch. :)

maeh2k

Some time ago I read something about how an automatic watch could be damaged if you leave it in a watch winder that runs continuously. Should I be worried about over-winding a watch just by wearing it throughout the day?

My Parnis has a power reserve indicator and it fills pretty quickly. If it's about at the maximum of 40 hours and I keep wearing it, could that damage the watch?

I know nothing about watches, I'm looking for a watch with a black leather band and that's not digital. Maybe $300 budget

Any suggestions?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Many years of lusting for this watch (thanks to OnkelC and this thread) has ended.

It arrived from Hong Kong via DHL Express, only one day in shipping, mighty impressive.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8584/15798656377_a08ebddd76_h.jpg[img]

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7513/15797097770_648c1b99e5_h.jpg[img]

I haven't sized the watch yet, as the tools haven't arrived (ordered a cheap kit from the UK last week). My old method of using a small needle to punch out the pins in the bracelet has worked well in the past, but I dont want to risk slipping and scratching this watch. :)[/QUOTE]

So hot. :)

Some time ago I read something about how an automatic watch could be damaged if you leave it in a watch winder that runs continuously. Should I be worried about over-winding a watch just by wearing it throughout the day?

My Parnis has a power reserve indicator and it fills pretty quickly. If it's about at the maximum of 40 hours and I keep wearing it, could that damage the watch?

To your specific question: No.

The thing is, winders usually have a few settings, and in case you don't play with those, you can end up with a 1600 rotations/day on a movement that only needs 800.
It basically means that after half a day, the watch is fully wound, or nearly fully wound all the time.
In the case you leave the watch on the winder for a few weeks, you could (technically, cause theoretically it should not be the case) impose 'too long' a pressure on the main spring, which would result in the watch being always a bit 'fast'. If you multiply this by years of winding, you can (again technically) end up with a 'always too fast' watch due to the intensive winding.

So:

- No worries on the daily use, something tells me you do not generate a 1000+ rotation a day just living a normal life :). By wearing it daily, it will never stop, but it will not be 'over wound' either

- Check your watch movement, the number of rotation it needs per day to be fully wound is usually a public information you can find on Google, then actually don't set your winder to that number, but 60-70% of it (or even less depending on your power reserve) so that it's always 'wound' but rarely/never 'fully wound'

- If you happen to let a watch too long on a winder, and over wound for a long time, it's not the end of the world: just have it serviced, the jeweler will adjust the balance wheel owing to the power level transferred by the main spring (basically he will tweak the wheel for it to run 'properly', so the watch will not be 'too fast' for the rest of its life).

pwack

I haven't sized the watch yet, as the tools haven't arrived (ordered a cheap kit from the UK last week). My old method of using a small needle to punch out the pins in the bracelet has worked well in the past, but I dont want to risk slipping and scratching this watch. :)

Looks terrific. I'm still trying to figure out what my next big purchase will be. The MarineMaster is a lead contender at the moment, but also interest in the Grand Seiko quartz diver and a few other classic styled GSs.

Also just read about Weiss watches out of LA today. Seem very interesting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

15798656377_a08ebddd76_h.jpg

15797097770_648c1b99e5_h.jpg

congrats! Wear it in good health.
Be VERY careful with sizing the bracelet, it's a pin and collar system, with the collar being located in the center link piece. best use a pin removal tool, a sheet of white paper as a working base and good lighting while adjusting :)

pwack

Be VERY careful with sizing the bracelet, it's a pin and collar system, with the collar being located in the center link piece. best use a pin removal tool, a sheet of white paper as a working base and good lighting while adjusting :)

Instead of paper, I'd suggest changing the watch in a shoe box or plastic container. When the pin invariably tries to roll away, it won't make it very far.

Enron

Banned
Instead of paper, I'd suggest changing the watch in a shoe box or plastic container. When the pin invariably tries to roll away, it won't make it very far.

I change my bracelets on an open composition notebook. So that way if the pin rolls, it rolls into the center of the notebook binding.

Pbae

I change my bracelets on an open composition notebook. So that way if the pin rolls, it rolls into the center of the notebook binding.

Ya'll need one of these

Polypropylene%20Glove%20box%202300.JPG

Forsete

Thank you. :)

I managed to resize it, without the proper tools, Royal Mail is painfully slow :(

A small drill chuck to hold a 0.75mm HSS drill bit (reverse mounted), I also took a 1 mm drill bit but it was too big to fit.
15804411938_617a336d68_h.jpg

Worked well, pushed the pin out a bit and used pliers to pull the pin out. Luckily the small collar didn't fly off anywhere. However, trying to push the pin back in turned out to be a little more difficult. I bent one of the pins in the process, I tried again with the last pin and by knocking on it carefully with the drill chuck it got back in.

Guess I'll have to order an extra pin to replace the bent one, if I ever want to put the extra link back in the bracelet.

Just about gave up at the mall trying to find a Seiko diver similar to skx007. Then I found a watch store with an skxa45. Tried it on, and it wears way smaller than 42mm. I'm so glad I didn't go for the skx013.

already purchased skx007 on amazon on jubilee. I'll also buy a rubber strap, too. I was amazed by the quality of the skxa45.

pwack

Just about gave up at the mall trying to find a Seiko diver similar to skx007. Then I found a watch store with an skxa45. Tried it on, and it wears way smaller than 42mm. I'm so glad I didn't go for the skx013.

already purchased skx007 on amazon on jubilee. I'll also buy a rubber strap, too. I was amazed by the quality of the skxa45.

Enjoy the 007. I take it it hasn't arrived yet? I am a big fan of my 009 and the jubilee, which is very comfortable. Not a huge fan of the Seiko rubber straps. If you can spring for it, I say go for a Isofrane or a Cuda knockoff, which will be about half the price.

I pulled the trigger on a new watch last night. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Saw a man wearing a vintage 60s submariner. Paid $800 for it in 1991. GORGEOUS watch. Had to have been 38mm and no crown guard.

I would love to own one, but they seem to go for around 7,000 minimum.

I hate these pending transactions with my bank. It lasts from the 15-18. I'm hoping to get the watch by next week.

I called my bank to see if there's a way to remove or expedite the pending transaction,band they said they couldn't do anything about it.

Top Bottom