• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Depends on where you are. I paid 17% to the Canadian Customs when I imported one from them.

But if you are already going from a diver to a sarb035 from one day to the next, you are probably not ready to pull the trigger, take your time to be sure what should be your next piece, you don't want to end up selling it right after like the Hami...

I sold my Hamilton to help my mother with financial issues, as I've stated a couple posts up.

But yeah. I really don't like skx007/009 now I think about it. I honestly think the sub style SKX025/31 looks great, and I think that was the watch I saw someone wearing a long time ago at work. It had a day date, and I kept thinking it was the Shogun due to great quality, but it wasn't it. I kept searching and searching online, and found nothing.

Not my pic, but someone elses:

SKX025.jpg

The watch looks to have a matte dial, and the incides are clean and of very high quality you see on watches like the SMP. An elegent designed watch for what was going for $150. That's insanely cheap.

Enron

Banned
The dial is matte, i can confirm. And the indices are chromed and do stand out, but the lume was weird. Almost like you were looking at lume through a sheet of paper. But lume should be like the last thing you care about with that watch.

Whatever you end up paying for a 025/031, make sure you tack on 25-40 for a superoyster aftermarket bracelet. because fuck that piece of shit it comes with.

New002

So I've always liked having a watch, but have never really had the type of income to justify going after a watch above a certain price point (~$75).

Anyways I inherited two watches, one of which is an old Patek. I did a bit of research and looked into how much a cleaning/restoration would be. Woooo boy. I'd love to get it cleaned up and back in working order but that's going to have to wait a bit.

Apparently it takes several months to get the watch back as well. Makes sense I suppose.

The dial is matte, i can confirm. And the indices are chromed and do stand out, but the lume was weird. Almost like you were looking at lume through a sheet of paper. But lume should be like the last thing you care about with that watch.

Whatever you end up paying for a 025/031, make sure you tack on 25-40 for a superoyster aftermarket bracelet. because fuck that piece of shit it comes with.

i own a $150 Seiko quartz, so I'm sure the band is comparable.

i see a couple on eBay right now. Still not sure i want one.

i do want the sarb033 in black instead of white. Quality looks great, and i can dress up or down with it. I can always get a Seiko diver another time.

getting an sarb for $280 and free shipping is a steal on rakuten. But I'm going to wait for cyber Monday if amazon has it discounted.

Enron

Banned
So I've always liked having a watch, but have never really had the type of income to justify going after a watch above a certain price point (~$75).

Anyways I inherited two watches, one of which is an old Patek. I did a bit of research and looked into how much a cleaning/restoration would be. Woooo boy. I'd love to get it cleaned up and back in working order but that's going to have to wait a bit.

Apparently it takes several months to get the watch back as well. Makes sense I suppose.

yeah. I inherited two Omegas from my dad; his Constellation is from like 1969 and is 24k gold and the movement is fucked. It takes like a year and probably a grand to get it fixed.

i do want the sarb033 in black instead of white. Quality looks great, and i can dress up or down with it. I can always get a Seiko diver another time.

getting an sarb for $280 and free shipping is a steal on rakuten. But I'm going to wait for cyber Monday if amazon has it discounted.

I seriously doubt you will see a discount on amazon because that watch is a japanese market seiko - the only way it is available on amazon is through amazon sellers, not amazon itself. Which means it won't be on a black friday/cyber monday deal.

I think I'm going to order from amazon, then. I'm pretty sure I may get hit by duty fees, and it'd come around the same price as amazon if I ordered from rakuten.

here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AE9XRQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know who NEEDS is, though. Japanese company abroad? Would I get hit by duty fees, too, through amazon?

thanks.

Where are you located? Try Seiya, they ship from Japan directly. And with the yen at it's current value, I doubt you'll find a better price elsewhere. I think their prices are with Shipping fees included.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s-sarb033

Edit: Oh, you are in the US and looking for a US seller. Ignore my post then.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
NEEDS ships from Japan per their seller profile.

SeiyaJapan is a good option though. $335 shipped via EMS so you'll get it quick.

There is one seller on Amazon that uses Amazon fulfillment though for a little more but that means it ships from US.

Yes, I live in the u.s., but I don't care if the seller is abroad. What I'm worried about is import duty fees.

edit-amazon has one for $338 free shipping and no tax. The seller is Japanese treasury factory.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yes, I live in the u.s., but I don't care if the seller is abroad. What I'm worried about is import duty fees.

edit-amazon has one for $338 free shipping and no tax. The seller is Japanese treasury factory.

They're all shipping from Japan save for the $400 one.
It's doubtful you'll get hit with duty fees but it's always a chance.
EMS has been good to me which is what Seiya uses but YMMV.

Ok, thanks.

rakuten has it for $276.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/premiumshop/item/sarb033/

seiya has them more expensive. Does that link look legit? I mean, really, $276 is a steal.

Rakuten is basically an international eBay. You have to look up whether that particular seller is trustworthy. How much are they charging for shipping? Does that price include the 8% Japanese sales tax? Does your credit card charge any fees for paying in Yen? Go to the final checkout page and see what your total cost is.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Rakuten is basically an international eBay. You have to look up whether that particular seller is trustworthy. How much are they charging for shipping? Does that price include the 8% Japanese sales tax? Does your credit card charge any fees for paying in Yen? Go to the final checkout page and see what your total cost is.

Yup. And if you want a trusted seller on there I always see this guy recommended: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seiko3s/item/sarb033/

I know nothing about watches but I've just seen this one and I think it looks really cool:

Is it really worth €1,900?

When the "time set instantly wherever you travel to" technology was invented and before we all lived assisted by gps devices it was worth it. Today it's very debatable.

All in all, buying a watch for the technology it embarks is a bit futile today, I prefer to pay for craftsmanship, historic relevance or mechanical achievements...

pwack

Great. I'll call my bank tomorrow just in case there aren't any fees, and if not ill order it.
Consider buying used? Asking price for a LNIB SARB will be between $280-$300, and there should be room to negotiate. I just got mine for $255 and other than the fact it was sized, couldn't tell it wasn't new. Plus, no taxes, no duties. And you may still get some warranty coverage.

An example: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-seiko-sarb033-lnib-1202362.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/1202362

Sorry for the noob question again but I like how Fossil watches look but I've read they were garbage. I'm not planning on buying a watch in the near future but, let's say I buy one of those. How likely would it break or malfunction within the next two years and am I going to get laughed at? Is there anything you would recommend that looks similar but isn't garbage?

Sorry for the noob question again but I like how Fossil watches look but I've read they were garbage. I'm not planning on buying a watch in the near future but, let's say I buy one of those. How likely would it break or malfunction within the next two years and am I going to get laughed at? Is there anything you would recommend that looks similar but isn't garbage?

It isn't a matter of people laughing. For the same price, you will find something better constructed in a Seiko or Citizen or some other watch brand.

Look at this one, for example. Design elements similar to the Astron you were looking at, not very expensive and will last you a lot longer than the Fossil will.

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sndd67.html

Enron

Banned
All Fossil is is random 5-dollar chinese made watch with FOSSIL or some other label stamped on it and sold for upwards of 75 or 100 dollars. Don't do it. You can get a Seiko 5 or an Orient for that same money.

If you want a good looking, cheap quartz watch just buy a Timex weekender or field watch and be done with it.

New002

yeah. I inherited two Omegas from my dad; his Constellation is from like 1969 and is 24k gold and the movement is fucked. It takes like a year and probably a grand to get it fixed.

I seriously doubt you will see a discount on amazon because that watch is a japanese market seiko - the only way it is available on amazon is through amazon sellers, not amazon itself. Which means it won't be on a black friday/cyber monday deal.

To be honest I'm not even sure if it's authentic. I'm pretty positive it isn't actually.

I do also have this one:

Cartier-Santos-100-ref.-W20106X8.jpg

Not my photo since I don't have the watch with me at the moment. For this one I have all of the original packaging with the sales information, including the dealers stamp, so I'm pretty sure this one's authentic.

I have small wrists so I find that most watches feel cumbersome and look cumbersome [on my wrist], but that one is perfect.

pwack

81VliQh3B5L._UX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NEJB2O2/

This will be on sale for about £70 tonight. Yes/No?

I hate having to pull out my phone everytime i need to check the time, and honestly just miss having a watch as an accessory. Not sure I want to spend £300 though, so if this is any good i'm more than willing to settle.

Yes.

So you are aware, the left side dial tells 24-hour time; it doesn't actually function as a 24-hour stopwatch (only the center second and 60 minute dial will serve as a stopwatch function). Still, good looking watch and good brand.

New Monster
10CiN8U.jpg

Doesn't seem like an improvement tbh. Don't like the prospex logo and the date. I like the fact that they are going back to the more chunky looking dial.

Thanks for recommending me Seiko. Some of their watches in the €200 - €300 price range look amazing and I'm considering buying one some time in 2015.

My favorites:

Nice ones!

Igo

Yes.

So you are aware, the left side dial tells 24-hour time; it doesn't actually function as a 24-hour stopwatch (only the center second and 60 minute dial will serve as a stopwatch function). Still, good looking watch and good brand.
Thanks. Why would they waste a dial on something as simple as 24-hour time?

I was looking at perpetual calendar watches and this doesn't have that, but whatever, it'll do for now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I personally don't like the font of on the bezels of the Monster and Baby Tunas.
I'd love to own a few Baby Tunas but that font keeps me away.

LCfiner

Thanks. Why would they waste a dial on something as simple as 24-hour time?

I was looking at perpetual calendar watches and this doesn't have that, but whatever, it'll do for now.

In terms of actual usefulness, it can be good for setting the time on watches with date functions. so you know that you’ve set the time for the right AM/PM so the date doesn’t flip over at noon instead of midnight.

this is assuming you leave the watch unworn from time to time and it stops ticking frequently enough that setting the time becomes a semi-common occurrence.

generally, i’d prefer to have no dial than a 24 hour dial. But if it’s there, it should at least be present on a watch with date functionality.

reminds me of hublot's ferrari monstrosity

[IG]http://www.hublot.com/magento/media/catalog/product/0/d/0da58444-zoom.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hublot-MP-05-LaFerrari-watch.jpg[/IMG]

Watches like these are always very interesting to me. Like a concept car. This one, for example, has a 7 week power reserve if I am not mistaken.

LCfiner

The speedmaster arrived. I put it on a Hirsch liberty strap as I’m not a fan of steel bracelets.

I still have the speedmaster auto here, as well. this one has been put on a hirsch grand duke black strap with red stitches. I really prefer the speedy automatic on the black strap compared to the OEM bracelet, which just seems too shiny (the auto bracelet is much shiner than the pro).

I like them both but the speedy pro’s dial is less cluttered and more elegant. but I feel much better about the auto on the black strap. it makes it a bit of a closer call between the two, in my books.

Speedy Auto:

htGl3Ff.jpg

-----------------

Speedy Pro:

ngOVpva.jpg

——————

side by side:

HgvQomI.jpg

pwack

The speedmaster arrived. I put it on a Hirsch liberty strap as I’m not a fan of steel bracelets.

I still have the speedmaster auto here, as well. this one has been put on a hirsch grand duke black strap with red stitches. I really prefer the speedy automatic on the black strap compared to the OEM bracelet, which just seems too shiny (the auto bracelet is much shiner than the pro).

I like them both but the speedy pro’s dial is less cluttered and more elegant. but I feel much better about the auto on the black strap. it makes it a bit of a closer call between the two, in my books.

Speedy Auto:

-----------------

Speedy Pro:
——————

side by side:

To each their own. That said, the only actual right choice is the Pro put back on a bracelet. If you must use a strap, use a rally strap.

LCfiner

To each their own. That said, the only actual right choice is the Pro put back on a bracelet. If you must use a strap, use a rally strap.

lol.

I do have a black rally strap that the previous owner supplied with the speedmaster pro. put it on for a bit.

eh, still prefer the Hirsch :)

Enron

Banned
New watch time! Mako XL came in. Wow, I am really impressed with Orient. This thing (asides fromt the bracelet, which is just OK) is QUALITY. This is so much nicer than the SKX031 I used to have at about the same price. Feels like a MUCH more expensive watch. It's big. I mean, BIG. This thing is a chunk and feels heavy on the wrist, but it wears quite a bit smaller imo. I have a 7.25" wrist so that helps. Pleasantly surprised!

Size comparison with my Omega Seamaster 2254.50. the Seamaster is 41mm, the Mako XL 45mm.
15747941829_fff4f51e45_c.jpg

wristshot

15747957549_ab42ec92b1_c.jpg

In the box

15933969045_fb5f1214d0_c.jpg

PS: I hate hollow endlinks. CLINK CLINK SQUEAK. Have a couple of new straps on the way.

LCfiner

just for you purists/elitists :p

put it back on the bracelet for a short time. it’s OK but I prefer a leather band. both in comfort and appearance. Although I will likely move to a thinner black band for most days.

Enron

Banned
just for you purists/elitists :p

put it back on the bracelet for a short time. it’s OK but I prefer a leather band. both in comfort and appearance. Although I will likely move to a thinner black band for most days.

Omega bracelets are so comfy. Ive had my Orient on for about 35 minutes, and I already want to rip the thing off.

Top Bottom