• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

pwack

I like it a lot. In fact, I used to own one. I sold it, but not out of any dissatisfaction. Just wasn't seeing a ton of wear.

Note that you are losing a ton of functionality compared to the t-touch.

If you want other options, check out an Orient Bambino (similar style, much cheaper but fit and finish probably not as good). Also there are Japarnese market Seikos you could look at if you haven't yet. Ask GalacticSushiman about his Cocktail Time and go through seiyajapan.com. Check out the new SEIKO BRIGHTZ AUTOMATIC SDGM003. Some of these will be a little more than the Tissot, but thanks to currency exchange rates, now is the best time in years to bu Japanese watches.

(Note -- Seiya is not necessarily the cheapest importer, but he has the best pics)

I like it a lot. In fact, I used to own one. I sold it, but not out of any dissatisfaction. Just wasn't seeing a ton of wear.

Note that you are losing a ton of functionality compared to the t-touch.

If you want other options, check out an Orient Bambino (similar style, much cheaper but fit and finish probably not as good). Also there are Japarnese market Seikos you could look at if you haven't yet. Ask GalacticSushiman about his Cocktail Time and go through seiyajapan.com. Check out the new SEIKO BRIGHTZ AUTOMATIC SDGM003. Some of these will be a little more than the Tissot, but thanks to currency exchange rates, now is the best time in years to bu Japanese watches.

(Note -- Seiya is not necessarily the cheapest importer, but he has the best pics)

Thanks for the response. It's pretty overwhelming looking at watches for the first time not knowing a damn thing

pwack

Thanks for the response. It's pretty overwhelming looking at watches for the first time not knowing a damn thing

No problem.

If you want, you can go the other way: tell us a price range and a general sense of style/functionality that you are looking for, and we can recommend you some watches.

Good brands in the $300-600 range are as follows:

Seiko
Citizen
Orient
(all Japanese)

Archimede
Laco (some, but not all of their pieces)
(German)

Tissot
Hamilton
Steinhart
Christopher Ward
(Swiss)

Also, there are a bunch of micro-brand diver watches out there that may be interesting. Benarus; Armida; Helson; Halios, and more beyond those.

Edit -- here's a higher end Orient. Similar to the Bambino I mentioned, but nicer, and similar to the Visodate,. Currently $350 on Seiya's website.

wz0011dd-a_large.jpg

No problem.

If you want, you can go the other way: tell us a price range and a general sense of style/functionality that you are looking for, and we can recommend you some watches.

Good brands in the $300-600 range are as follows:

Seiko
Citizen
Orient
(all Japanese)

Archimede
Laco (some, but not all of their pieces)
(German)

Tissot
Hamilton
Steinhart
Christopher Ward
(Swiss)

Also, there are a bunch of micro-brand diver watches out there that may be interesting. Benarus; Armida; Helson; Halios, and more beyond those.

Edit -- here's a higher end Orient. Similar to the Bambino I mentioned, but nicer, and similar to the Visodate,. Currently $350 on Seiya's website.

wz0011dd-a_large.jpg

I'm looking for a non digital watch, black leather strap, ~$400 is probably my budget

pwack

I'm looking for a non digital watch, black leather strap, ~$400 is probably my budget

Assuming you want a mechanical watch (i.e., not battery operated, but hand wound or wound by an osciallating weight) (i.e., nice watches), you definitely should focus on Seiko or Orient/Orient Star at that price point.

Entry level Swiss watches are hard to find below $450, and won't have the same bang-for-buck factor.

If you haven't done so yet, flip through Seiya's website and see if anything there works.

Assuming you want a mechanical watch (i.e., not battery operated, but hand wound or wound by an osciallating weight) (i.e., nice watches), you definitely should focus on Seiko or Orient/Orient Star at that price point.

Entry level Swiss watches are hard to find below $450, and won't have the same bang-for-buck factor.

If you haven't done so yet, flip through Seiya's website and see if anything there works.

Thanks, definitely will take a look

Hey guys, advice appreciated...

I have had my eyes on a particular watch for quite some time. I have a few watches that I enjoy in my collection, nothing overly expensive, but many things about this one appeal to me in terms of look/function/etc.

As a Canadian, I know I can get this watch for around ~550 plus S&H from places that I would know are shipping a genuine product.

But I have been looking on ebay too, and a number of sellers are selling them for far less than that from other countries, to the extent that I could probably save around 50% if I bought from one of them.

My concern is I don't know if it will be genuine or not. A number of friends of mine buy replica watches of all sorts of high end brands and they pay in the ~300 dollar range, and they are sometimes so close to authentic that they can actually be repaired using genuine parts. And it's no big deal for some of these counterfeit makers to also make counterfeit boxes, manuals etc.

These sellers all say that their watches are 100% authentic, and also have 99%+ positive feedback, but I was wondering if anybody had experience with any ebay sellers and could tell me what they received from them, good or bad? Maybe watches are just generally cheaper in the UK than Canada or something, I don't know.

Advice appreciated.

pwack

I have had my eyes on a particular watch for quite some time. I have a few watches that I enjoy in my collection, nothing overly expensive, but many things about this one appeal to me in terms of look/function/etc.

As a Canadian, I know I can get this watch for around ~550 plus S&H from places that I would know are shipping a genuine product.

But I have been looking on ebay too, and a number of sellers are selling them for far less than that from other countries, to the extent that I could probably save around 50% if I bought from one of them.

My concern is I don't know if it will be genuine or not. A number of friends of mine buy replica watches of all sorts of high end brands and they pay in the ~300 dollar range, and they are sometimes so close to authentic that they can actually be repaired using genuine parts. And it's no big deal for some of these counterfeit makers to also make counterfeit boxes, manuals etc.

These sellers all say that their watches are 100% authentic, and also have 99%+ positive feedback, but I was wondering if anybody had experience with any ebay sellers and could tell me what they received from them, good or bad? Maybe watches are just generally cheaper in the UK than Canada or something, I don't know.

Advice appreciated.

What brand and model are you thinking of buying? You shouldn't pay MSRP for most watches, but how low price should go while still bei g authentic will vary by brand.

Enron

Banned

Advice appreciated.

would head over to watchuseek, find the board for the particular brand you are looking at, and ask the posters there if there are any preferred ebay sellers. Some boards have a list.

Advice appreciated.

1- If I am a replica guy, I will focus on $thousands pieces to sell something in the 200-300 range, if I replicate a $500 watch, my offer is just far less attractive. I am not saying fake G-shocks do not exist, they do, but faking an affordable to earn 50% off MSRP is not that common (vs a fake Rolex for instance).

2- The seller have thousands of positive feedbacks he will NOT risk his reputation for a quick cash grab, it does not make sense business-wise, and you can always check if a refund is possible, so that you can check the authenticity when the piece arrives and return it if needed.

3- You can download a picture and re-upload it to imgur to show it to us, if you are afraid we will grab it from you :D

4- Always take into account shipping AND customs/duties AND the cost of using a foreign currency on your credit card/paypal, sometimes a $300 piece magically turns into a $500 one when computing everything :D

5- What you describe is not that strange.
A price is the sum of two things: value of the item + risk/uncertainty attached to the purchase. Brick and mortar places where you can try and feel the item, VS amazon-like websites which are companies you can easily sue, VS an individual on ebay, all those do not bear the same risk attached, so naturally this is reflected in the price point, up to a 50% rebate is not that crazy on an affordable watch given the risk and uncertainty of buying on ebay. BUT in my experience, if you do your homework - posting a few pics of the watch on forums like WUS or here to get people's opinion, checking the terms of the sale like refund timings etc, checking a few transactions from the seller at a similar price points, etc - you can actually save money as you decrease the risk attached to the purchase, but you still pay less :)

On a side note, I lost the Heuer Seafarer I posted on this thread not too long ago, I was outbid by around a 1000 British pounds so no regrets :)
I also tried to grab a Universal Geneve full calendar last week and was outbid by... $200, on this one, yes I do have a lot of regrets :D

Here is the piece I lost like a noob :)

Received the watch. First thing I noticed was how heavy this watch is. The quality is great. The bezel clicks smoothly, doesn't feel cheap or loose. The lume is AWESOME BRIGHT. The bracelet is very comfortable, but rattles.

for $150, you cannot beat that price. No wonder why wis are always recommending this watch that's under $500.

the watch is thick at 13mm, though. Makes me realize that the planet ocean would be too thick for me. 13mm is my max, but id like to stay away from that.

I don't like the black bay due to the boxy case and how the case takes up all of the watch. I think the dial is gorgeous, but I was excited with the hodinkee review that stated it was 10mm thick.

if I were to get an expensive watch, id look at the 2254, 2531, 2220, railmaster, or submariner no date. I think the later would be easier to service by an independent due to how common that movement is to watchmakers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got this on sale on Amazon for $50 and it is fantastic.

KAlYTNV.jpg

Good watch, huge discount and a less nerve wracking replacement for my aquaracer for more active trips.

I can't even fathom how you can tell the time with that thing!

Ok, there is A LOT on this dial, but that's the Citizen Edifice style :)

I disagree with you on readability though, even if there are tons of information on the dial, it's still very easy to read the time in a glance thanks to the strong contrasts between the bright hands on the dark dial.

What brand and model are you thinking of buying? You shouldn't pay MSRP for most watches, but how low price should go while still bei g authentic will vary by brand.

Thanks for everyone's advice, you guys are good....

I know this isn't the kind of watch most people would go for here, but it's an Emporio Armani Ceramica in black.

The uniqueness of the material is appealing to me, as is the overall style and general versatility of the watch design.. I feel like it would go well with a lot of different clothing options while still looking elegant. Probably the AR1451.

Sorry for not responding earlier I kind of forgot about the post.

keezy

My Aquaracer should be here today. Guilt tripping hard about ordering it. It's my first "luxury" watch and also my Christmas present.

185151d1292267629-tag-heuer-aquaracer-automatic-300m-calibre-5-wan2110-img_0847.jpg

Can anyone recommend an online retailer for NATO watch straps? My lovely girlfriend bought me a Seiko Pepsi Diver, my first watch (and the one I've always had my eye on), and the included strap is pretty uncomfortable.

Enron

Banned
Can anyone recommend an online retailer for NATO watch straps? My lovely girlfriend bought me a Seiko Pepsi Diver, my first watch (and the one I've always had my eye on), and the included strap is pretty uncomfortable.

Crown and Buckle.

In fact I will PM you a $5 off promo code they sent me with my last order. Its only good through the 31st, and I'm not going to use it.

How do you get the day to change automatic on the skx007? I just finally got the date to change when it hit midnight, but the day just halfway rolls over into Spanish, but its still the same day! Last night it was changing from Wednesday to miercoles.

theapg

Think I may order this with Amazon gift cards I got today, any thoughts? In the demo it looks like the hands move constantly which I love.

718V5oVo5qL._UY679_.jpg

Also darnit, it went up $11 in that last three days.

My Aquaracer should be here today. Guilt tripping hard about ordering it. It's my first "luxury" watch and also my Christmas present.

185151d1292267629-tag-heuer-aquaracer-automatic-300m-calibre-5-wan2110-img_0847.jpg

Be careful with all the crown issues I've read about. Otherwise, it's a good looking watch.

Also, the day rolled over to Thursday on my skx007.It's still sitting in the box, but time to time I take it out to admire it. I'll get it sized by the crazy old man at Sears tomorrow.

I really wish the MM was thinner. If it was 12mm, I'd be on it on a heartbeat as far as a one watch owner:

2798107.jpg

You can't beat the 8L35 movement, either.

pwack

Think I may order this with Amazon gift cards I got today, any thoughts? In the demo it looks like the hands move constantly which I love.

Can't go wrong with a Seiko 5 at that price point. There are a ton of models, so feel free to browse around. Amazon is a great source, also check out http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/. All 5's are mechanical watches and will have similar hand movement.

What do you guys think of this watch?

81goDtaUIEL._UY500_.jpg

Expensive and not necessarily my style, but unique and with some interesting lineage to old Mivado Museum pieces. This falls into the category of "if you like it, that's what matters."

Is anyone here married? I started wearing watches recently and it's probably just because I never wore any kind of jewelry or accessories before I got married, but I think wearing both my wedding band and a watch look tacky.

Wearing the watch on my right hand looks a lot better, but then having the watch on the hand I write with is annoying. Which hand do married people usually wear a watch on?

LCfiner

Looking at this watch. Looks like to be my next purchase

http://www.watchitallabout.com/rodina-r005-bauhaus-watch-review/

rodina2-1024x774.jpg

Will have to swap out the straps though for a NATO

I’ve had a Stowa Antea in white (looks similar to this watch) plus I have the black dial rodina. I don’t think it goes well with Nato straps. it’s not a very casual or sporty watch at all. Looks good with a suit but doesn’t match well with more casual clothes, imo.

If you’re looking to make the look a bit less formal, I would recommend a brown leather strap with some white contrast stitching before putting it on a Nato band.

pwack

so my girlfriend just got me this watch

Nice. Let's see some wrist pics.

I’ve had a Stowa Antea in white (looks similar to this watch) plus I have the black dial rodina. I don’t think it goes well with Nato straps. it’s not a very casual or sporty watch at all. Looks good with a suit but doesn’t match well with more casual clothes, imo.

If you’re looking to make the look a bit less formal, I would recommend a brown leather strap with some white contrast stitching before putting it on a Nato band.

Agreed no standard nato. You could maybe try a woven perlon strap, similar to what Nomos (who Rodina is copying) uses on their Ahoi dive watch.

Person at sears left tiny scratches on the side near the lug on 007. Just noticed it now. I took pictures before I took the watch to get it sized.

ill call soon, and hopefully they can buff it out? If not, well see what they say.

elfinke

So I'm building a very small collection of watches, and recently added a Citizen AW1365-19P and AW0010-01A. I'm now wondering, those of you with several watches, how do you store them, and more importantly what do you do with watches that need regular light/movement to maintain their charge between wears? Suck it up and wind them each night? Suck it up and fix their date/time each occasion you decide to wear them?

Top Bottom