• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Depends. Can you manually wind them? If so, do that, and they'll continue to power. If not, then I don't know. Depends on which watch you wear the most, rotation, etc..

So I just called Sears. I told them what happened, and the lady said we don't touch the case when sizing. Hell, I even saw her lay my watch on the counter face down. I mean, WTF? I asked her if they can buff out the scratches, and she said bring it in. I also told her I took pictures of the watch before I came in to get it sized so that I'm not lying.

Do you guys think they have something to buff it out? It's a watch repair shop afterall. If they refuse to buff it or take care of it, what's my next option? Just suck it up and deal with the scratches? I know it's a $150 watch, and I guess I can live with the scratches. If it was an Omega or Rolex, yeah, I'd raise fucking hell.

Actually, you know what? I'm afraid of them buffing the scratches out. Wouldn't that thin the case where the scratches are, giving it a non-proportioned look? Would anything else they may have besides buffing work? I'm kinda of afraid, and may just leave the scratches on the watch. It'll eventually get dinged up in my line of work.

Thanks

CFMOORE!

Actually, you know what? I'm afraid of them buffing the scratches out. Wouldn't that thin the case where the scratches are, giving it a non-proportioned look? Would anything else they may have besides buffing work? I'm kinda of afraid, and may just leave the scratches on the watch. It'll eventually get dinged up in my line of work.

Thanks

pretty sure when i got my Seamaster serviced, Omega buffed out all the scratches and the thing looked amazing and brand new when i got it back.

polishing will remove metal, that's unavoidable

it's partly why a few people i know refuse to polish their gold watches

still, even though it's a ~$100 seiko 5, i wouldn't trust an employee of sears to properly polish a watch

your watch will ultimately end up with scratches, as long as the employee didn't ding up or deeply scracth your case i'm not sure i'd waste my time

It was $150 (skx007), but you're right. I was thinking the same thing. They're crazy, old, eastern European guys. Its just two tiny scratches, and I work in retail, so it'll get beat up.

I think I'll forget about it. Its only two tiny scratches that nobody will notice except for me. Like I said, if it was a Rolex or omega, I would definitely be pissed off.

CFMOORE!

It was $150 (skx007), but you're right. I was thinking the same thing. They're crazy, old, eastern European guys. Its just two tiny scratches, and I work in retail, so it'll get beat up.

I think I'll forget about it. Its only two tiny scratches that nobody will notice except for me. Like I said, if it was a Rolex or omega, I would definitely be pissed off.

I never gave much thought to buffing remove layers, no matter how thin. However, like I said, I notice nothing off balance on my Omega. I myself am surprised at the wear it developed over the course of 12 years of wear, seeing how I try to baby it. But I also don't shy away from activity while wearing it. I can't speak for others in their line, but I would like to assume their all built like mini tanks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
When I had my Speedmaster sized at the local jeweler they mangled a number of the link screws as apparently they didn't have a screwdriver that was the exact size needed...
Was kind of freaking out when I got home and noticed it, but decided to let it go since it's nearly invisible unless I go looking for it. In fact, since that day I've never noticed, and was only reminded of it because of Jason's Ultimatum's post.

Thankfully the links themselves were fine or else I would have had some words.
I did buy a correct size screwdriver myself and plan to replace the screws eventually. Those tiny specs of metal are $9 a piece though so I'm in no hurry.

Well, here are the pics:

WP_20141230_003_zpsd6c14bf0.jpg

WP_20141230_004_zpsa49fbea3.jpg

WP_20141230_005_zps1a5ab775.jpg

You think cap cod will do the trick, send it to another watch repair (cost?), or ignore it?

Pbae

Well, here are the pics:

WP_20141230_003_zpsd6c14bf0.jpg

WP_20141230_004_zpsa49fbea3.jpg

WP_20141230_005_zps1a5ab775.jpg

You think cap cod will do the trick, send it to another watch repair (cost?), or ignore it?

Cape Cod is a good polish but it seems the scratch is deeper than what the polishing cloth can do.

Honestly, If that's the only scuff you have on the watch, I would still consider that pretty pristine and I wouldn't even worry about getting it out until it's accumulated way more. But that's just me.

My DJ has scratches like that all over the sides since it has such a high polish and I wear it often but it's going to happen with SS =[

No one notices the scratches, they just notice the watch. My 2 cents.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I understand it annoys you, but now you don't have to worry about babying it anymore.
They'll all get marks eventually.

Save the professional polish for a year or two down the line.

pwack

I say give it a soft wipe with cape code cloth, but proceed cautiously. And like others have said -- hold out for anything more substantial for a few years until other scratches have appeared.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ugh, just made another pricey watch purchase and am feeling very guilty about it. The piece was just too rare to pass up though.

I'll be selling my beloved Seiko Tuna and a Uniform Wares 200 model that I don't care too much for to help fund the purchase.
Whenever it arrives I'll post pics.

So I'm building a very small collection of watches, and recently added a Citizen AW1365-19P and AW0010-01A. I'm now wondering, those of you with several watches, how do you store them, and more importantly what do you do with watches that need regular light/movement to maintain their charge between wears? Suck it up and wind them each night? Suck it up and fix their date/time each occasion you decide to wear them?

I don't have too many mechanical watches yet but I don't plan on ever buying winders. I don't mind just setting the time/date as needed when I wear a piece. It's quick enough to do.

I am purchasing a watch box next month however to store them properly. Whenever it gets in I'll post pics.

pwack

Eco-drive charges last for months. No winders or special care needed.

I did end up purchasing the Seiko Brightz limited edition chrono. Very very happy.

In addition to great styling (IMO) and materials, also a pretty interesting movement.
"Ticking away is the 8R48, an automatic column wheel chronograph with not one, but three vertical clutches. This means that each chronograph hand is driven by its own vertical clutch, and not just the seconds hand as is often the case. The result is that all chronograph hands move with a continuous sweep. It is something totally unique to Seiko, and it is quite a bit of impressive engineering for a watch positioned well under 2K."
http://wornandwound.com/2014/12/22/jdm-seiko-5-seiko-watches-really-want/

More pics:

Forsete

Jason's Ultimatum: I can understand it being extra annoying since you didnt cause the damage.
The watch will (sadly) get scraped and dented from normal use anyway.
After a while you stop thinking about it.
My SKX007 has a few dents and many small scratches, right now I think it just adds character. :p

I bought a timegrapher, so now I can start tinkering with my watches. Not take them fully apart or anything (I dont have the tools nor balls right now), but at least I can adjust the timing correctly.

I adjusted my old SKX007, lets see if real life wrist time is as accurate as the timegrapher suggests (this is only one position btw, it varies a few seconds plus and minus depending on how it is resting, at most +4, at minimum -3).

16149845815_2ff60ffa9c_h.jpg

pwack

Sorry for another post.

Anyone want this watch? I don't wear it, and it's too hard to sell since WUS won't let you sell "Marina Militare" branded watches.

Winds well, although the crown is sometimes a little finicky when pulling out to set the time. Good lume. Never had it pressure tested, although the manufacturer claims 3ATM. Leather strap is nothing to write home about. Some scratches on the polish, but still looks OK (say 85-90%).

I think I paid around $225 for it a few years ago, but happy to let it go free to a good home if you pay for packaging and shipping (let's say $15 bucks CONUS, not sure its worth it for me to ship internationally).

Specs I asked for from the manufacturer:

- 44mm stainless steel case
- sapphire with ar
- Asian movt
- sandwich dial with seconds
- suplereumed MM dial with balck hands
- see though back

theapg

I'm buying my first seiko 5 and wondering if I should get navy or black. The images on amazon look almost the same, but which do you think is more classic/practical? Models are SNK793 (navy) and SNK793 (black).

elfinke

I don't have too many mechanical watches yet but I don't plan on ever buying winders. I don't mind just setting the time/date as needed when I wear a piece. It's quick enough to do.

I am purchasing a watch box next month however to store them properly. Whenever it gets in I'll post pics.

I kind of figured that was the case (pardon the pun), and as others have said, the eco-drives and their ilk last forever in between light baths. But I did just want to double check in case there was a cool solution :)

At the moment, with just 3 or 4 watches in my rotation, as long as I remember to give the Seiko a bit of a waggle each night and morning on the days I'm not wearing it, it lasts just fine. And it is pretty easy to set anyway.

Thanks.

Forsete

Jason's Ultimatum, I gave it a try to see if I could polish up my scratched SKX007.

Here is what I used. The tool is just a better built version of a Dremel multi tool.
16129534226_0d5ed5670d_h.jpg

The polishing rotor is made of some sort of fabric, this is a Dremel part.
16129528276_7b1488bae6_h.jpg

And some polishing paste. Not sure what grade it is, it was included with the Proxxon tool.
15969252579_a8b1957ba2_h.jpg

This is the reverse side of the watch, I forgot to take a "before" picture of the side that I polished. The side I polished was just as bad though.
15969254379_8fab390dba_h.jpg

And this is the after image. Looks almost brand new on this side.
16153413031_dc777a582e_h.jpg

It wasn't very difficult, just tape the parts which you dont want to accidentally hit (like the brushed parts). I ran the tool with little pressure and about 11 000 RPM. The results come very quickly, deeper scratches take a few more passes than the hairline ones.

So dont worry about those scratches. You can fix them yourself if you want to. :p

Oh wow. That's nice. But I don't have tools. My only option would be cape cod cloth? Is it useful to use since the scratches seem deep, or at least you can run your fingernail through them.

I really don't mind them, but id rather ding the watch up myself and not let others do it for me.

f0rk

General question: what is it that makes you spend more money on one brand over another when they are very similar designs? Obvious example being the cheap (relatively) Rodina on this page compared to a Stowa or Nomos that are several times the price.

This means that each chronograph hand is driven by its own vertical clutch, and not just the seconds hand as is often the case.

Such a fantastic detail, on top of looking great - with that "El Primero" feel to it, perfect inspiration for an automatic chrono if you ask me - it's really an interesting movement, great choice mate!

I am in Paris for a few days so I visited my family and got hold of my new (to me) Heuer Carrera from 1969 with - the "other first automatic chrono" since we are on the subject :) - a nice calibre 11 inside. I brought it to a vintage store to make sure they would take proper care of the Gay Frere bracelet when adjusting it to my girly wrist :)

It's hard to overstate my current excitement :)

General question: what is it that makes you spend more money on one brand over another when they are very similar designs? Obvious example being the cheap (relatively) Rodina on this page compared to a Stowa or Nomos that are several times the price.

May I answer with another question?

Let's imagine that there was a BMW car look that went through the age from the 1930s to today and that this look would be "public domain" at this point. We could very much expect other companies starting to release cars with the exact same look - let's say from a country, whichever it is, which does not have a long automotive industry/history - for a fraction of the price.

If someone was to tell you he had the original BMW would you ask him why he did not get the copy for much less? :)

Note: This metaphor stands for Nomos/Lange, obviously Stowa is another matter, and I am really not the guy who will defend/justify them :)

Note 2: yeah I know, the car comparison is overused and questionable in the details, but it's still not that bad in this case IMHO :)

Forsete

Oh wow. That's nice. But I don't have tools. My only option would be cape cod cloth? Is it useful to use since the scratches seem deep, or at least you can run your fingernail through them.

I really don't mind them, but id rather ding the watch up myself and not let others do it for me.

Had to Google cape cod. But they seem to do a good job. Maybe it would be possible to knock down the scratches if they are deep so they aren't as noticable.

Our just let a watchmaker polish it up when the service is due in 3-4 years.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Speaking of the Rodina on a NATO strap. I have a Rodina I bought a long time ago to see how the size and Nomos styling would suit me for that possible future purchase.

Eventually I did switch it to a NATO to play around with it. I think it looks ok with bolder colors, and a more "preppy" look, but not with standard military colors. Maybe it's just me. I'm sure you guys hate it. :)

I did end up purchasing the Seiko Brightz limited edition chrono. Very very happy.

Meant to comment earlier, but that is beautiful.
Great styling, I love the dial. I had been looking at that watch and it the "real" pictures look so much better. Congrats!

theapg

I love that band dallow.

I just bought two watches (timex and seiko). So now I have these three:

I know they are all pretty cheap but I'm really excited about them. I think I will get a Orient Mako and a seiko 5 SNK809, and then wait until I can afford a speedmaster ($4,000?) or a tag heuer ($3,000?). Those will have to wait until I'm out of college though.

EDIT:
oops just impulse bought this!!! double oops just double impulse bought this

elfinke

Speaking of the Rodina on a NATO strap. I have a Rodina I bought a long time ago to see how the size and Nomos styling would suit me for that possible future purchase.

Eventually I did switch it to a NATO to play around with it. I think it looks ok with bolder colors, and a more "preppy" look, but not with standard military colors. Maybe it's just me. I'm sure you guys hate it. :)

Meant to comment earlier, but that is beautiful.
Great styling, I love the dial. I had been looking at that watch and it the "real" pictures look so much better. Congrats!

I love that Rodina! The strap is a great touch, too.

Enron

Banned
I can confirm. All of the timex weekenders have a really loud tick. Just shove it in the sock dresser and it's fine.

pwack

Someday my sense of style will evolve to the point that I no longer like bronze/brass retro-styled divers.

However, until then . . .

4C03B0h.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I nearly bought a Benarus Moray in bronze. I love the color that can develop on that metal.
Never heard of Armida before. Are those prices real? They're very reasonable!

Edit: oh I see they have both brass and bronze options. The bronze seems to be their most expensive but not that bad still.

pwack

As for this watch -- initial impressions are good (I've only had it for two hours). Nice and heavy watch. Bezel action seems fine; not as crisp as my Seikos or Citizens, but not as rough as the Benarus bronze I used to own. I like the design. This is the smaller, 42mm brass A1, with a slightly domed crystal. Comes with the Cuda strap that both Armida and Benarus use (a Isofrane knockoff), which is very comfy. Haven't had a chance to check out the lume yet.

Ordered on Tuesday, Shipped on Wednesday; arrived this morning. So that's awesomely fast.

I previously bought and sold a bronze Benarus Morary 44mm. Liked it (although it was a little large and the bezel was hard to work, which is evidently an issue with bronze finishing), but eventually I came to the conlcusion that it was not worth the $1300 I paid for it. That's a pretty high surcharge for material alone. The brass options now available rectify that downside. The color of this brass watch is a little less red-ish, but very close to the bronze. I'm excited to see how patina develops.

Edit -- Wrist shot of my ex-Benarus for comparison purposes. Not the best photo, but only one I have off hand.

attachment.php

Edit 2 -- When it comes down to it, I think Armida and Benarus both use the company Fullswing for their manufacturing, so differences in quality should be relatively minor.

Edit 3 -- that was quick. Putting the Armida up for sale. Just not my style it turns out, also found the dial and hand work a little underwhelming (and even if Benarus and Armida both use fullswing for cases, the difference in dial work shows). Live and learn!

In addition to great styling (IMO) and materials, also a pretty interesting movement.
"Ticking away is the 8R48, an automatic column wheel chronograph with not one, but three vertical clutches. This means that each chronograph hand is driven by its own vertical clutch, and not just the seconds hand as is often the case. The result is that all chronograph hands move with a continuous sweep. It is something totally unique to Seiko, and it is quite a bit of impressive engineering for a watch positioned well under 2K."
http://wornandwound.com/2014/12/22/jdm-seiko-5-seiko-watches-really-want/

More pics:

Absolutely love the look of this watch. Looks fresh.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Latest arrival.
This is the rarest version of the "Golden Tuna", most likely less than 100 made around 2011 for the Taiwan market only as a special reissue.

The golden one here in particular is one I've been after for a long time and I'm happy to have gotten one so special and in mint condition. The gold/black combo look can be divisive. My roommate hates it, but I love it. Just need a new strap for it.

Next Tuna will likely be either a vintage automatic 1st gen, or the Spring Drive edition. There's even a Golden Spring Drive version but I've almost never seen it come up for sale now since it was limited to 400.

Maybe can tell, but I love "Tuna" divers. :)

Pardon the dust.
16020739768_47133a46b5_c.jpg

16020889430_f5b516437d_c.jpg

16020889300_1de72e54b2_c.jpg

Well, now there's another problem with my skx. Two problems. One, I just noticed the date and day don't align. Two, as I was researching if this was a common issue, I was reading about the markers not aligning with the painted indices. You can definately see it at the six o clock:

FOT6C9D_zps3a992513.jpg

What the hell, Seiko? I'm disappointed with them. Should I ignore it or talk to Amazon/seller and get a refund?

Well, now there's another problem with my skx. Two problems. One, I just noticed the date and day don't align. Two, as I was researching if this was a common issue, I was reading about the markers not aligning with the painted indices. You can definately see it at the six o clock:

FOT6C9D_zps3a992513.jpg

What the hell, Seiko? I'm disappointed with them. Should I ignore it or talk to Amazon/seller and get a refund?

Refund. My 007 doesn't have those problems. Especially the marker issue would get to me.

I contacted Amazon. Besides the lack of english from the CSR that I could hardly understand, they contacted the seller, and I should hear back via email within 1-2 business days.

I asked for a refund. Even though it's defective, I'm kinda glad it is. I love the watch, but it's too big for my six inch wrist, and thick, too. My preference now is between 36-38mm/12mm and under watches.

Yes, I could always pay more for the skx013, but again, the thickness will bother me.

Maybe I'll go after that Sarb033 again. It's 38mm and 11mm thick.

So I'm allowed to return the watch, but the seller said the watch has to be in its original condition or I may get 50% or less back in refund. I sent an email saying what defines original condition, and that there are a few hairline scratches and the bracelet has been sized. I'll wait for s response.

I did contact amazon about this, and the csr said I should be fine, as long as I didn't cause any major damage, the glass isn't cracked, or it hasn't been opened.

the seller refers you to amazons policy.

you guys think I'm ok on getting a full refund?

Well, the seller contacted me and said since the watch was altered-the bracelet and scratches, I wouldn't get a full refund. I contacted amazon and they said that's the sellers policy. I told them I spoke with a csr earlier and she said there shouldn't be a problem, as mentioned in the above post of mine.

I spoke with a supervisor and told him the seller refers to amazons return policy. Nothing stipulates about alterations or original condition. It just says you have 30 days. The supervisor said hell contact the seller on what else can be done.

I mean really, you guys have seen the picture. You'd have to really analyze the watch to spot the misalignments.

is there anything else I can do to get a full refund? They actually want to resell the watch.

Been burglared,
4 watches missing, with no logic in the missing one
Gutted, literally gutted, the one that my dad received when he was 16 and gave to me is not there anymore :(

I want to sell/give away all the other one to only keep one with me at all time :(

Been burglared,
Gutted, literally gutted, the one that my dad received when he was 16 and gave to me is not there anymore :(

I want to sell/give away all the other one to only keep one with me at all time :(

Very sorry to hear that, I know how psychologically impacting those situations can be... I hope your insurance will (partly) cover the loss, and very sorry for your heirloom.

Just FYI, if there are some pieces that are a bit uncommon, you can post pictures of the stolen watches on WUS/chronocentric/reddit watch, etc... Just in case someone sees one surfacing online/in second hand store...

Good luck and sorry again.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Been burglared,

Ugh, even I feel awful.
I'm really sorry to hear that.

Well, the seller contacted me and said since the watch was altered-the bracelet and scratches, I wouldn't get a full refund. I contacted amazon and they said that's the sellers policy. I told them I spoke with a csr earlier and she said there shouldn't be a problem, as mentioned in the above post of mine.

I spoke with a supervisor and told him the seller refers to amazons return policy. Nothing stipulates about alterations or original condition. It just says you have 30 days. The supervisor said hell contact the seller on what else can be done.

I mean really, you guys have seen the picture. You'd have to really analyze the watch to spot the misalignments.

is there anything else I can do to get a full refund? They actually want to resell the watch.

Not sure if you'll get the full refund in this case, so it might be a bitter pill/lesson to swallow. You have to check super closely on everything before altering/removing tags.

I once sold a watch on Amazon and they returned it in terrible condition (scratches, broken links, messed up buckle). I told them straight up I'd only refund half of what they paid. They sent an angry reply stating that wasn't acceptable but nothing happened after I did just that. Never heard from them or Amazon.

In your case I don't think 50% is fair at all.

Got a Parnis Marina Militare last week.

Only complaints from me so far are that there's a small hair right behind the rear glass and the lume is terrible. My Seiko 5 looks like a nuke compared to it.
Aside from that it's been great so far. The winding from the crown feels great, the crown lock moves without a hitch, the movement is nicely decorated, the finishing on the case feels great and for how big it the watch is on my small wrist it's actually comfortable to wear. And I love how the domed glass catches light. Plus it has a blue AR coating on it.

Very pleased with my purchase.

Yeah, I think it's futile to continue arguing. They won't even replace it. For future reference, I'm going to research sellers more carefully, even if I have to pay more.

Also, I found a couple of highly reputable watch repair shops in my area. One person said he'll give me a discount, because I mentioned to him how I found his name on Watchuseek, LOL!

The day/date I can live with. The chapter ring just bugs me.

Or how difficult would it be to fix it myself? What tools would I need? I don't want to spend $50-$100 to fix it myself if that's the case.

Thanks

Forsete

Yeah, I think it's futile to continue arguing. They won't even replace it. For future reference, I'm going to research sellers more carefully, even if I have to pay more.

Also, I found a couple of highly reputable watch repair shops in my area. One person said he'll give me a discount, because I mentioned to him how I found his name on Watchuseek, LOL!

The day/date I can live with. The chapter ring just bugs me.

Or how difficult would it be to fix it myself? What tools would I need? I don't want to spend $50-$100 to fix it myself if that's the case.

Thanks

Have a look here.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/24289-skx007-customization-step-step.html

Looks complicated and expensive if you don't plan on keep servicing your own watches. You need to press out the crystal in order to get to the chapter ring.
I'd ask the watch guy and see what his price is.

I found a couple in st Pete. One is Rik Dietel. Read about him on wus, and he seems to frequent the Rolex boards. I emailed him the pic, and he seems to know what he's talking about. Quoted $35.

Harry Gostivari from A&M watch repair-contacted him and told him I saw his name brought up on wus. He was so happy I read good things online about him, and even searched on wus while we were on the phone. He said he could probably give me a discount, and it'd be $15-$40. He worked at Rolex if you google his name.

don't know who to choose.

I

Hi there, lately I've discovered that I might really like watches, but I'm still very noobish in the field.

Recently, I've acquired this two pieces (from among my grandfather's belongings):

They're definitely not in tremendous shape, the date doesn't work on the Zenith, and I wasn't able to determine which kind of charge has the Tissot, but I think I like them both.

Can you tell if these are good watches? Would it be expensive to take them to get checked and fixed anew?

Top Bottom