• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

nitewulf

yeah, that's much more to my tastes. the new Nomos with the 84 hr power reserve, and the Wolrdtimer are both pretty nice and somewhat complex looking for them. this is one of my recent desires:
T035_428_36_051_00_2.jpg

maeh2k

yeah, that's much more to my tastes. the new Nomos with the 84 hr power reserve, and the Wolrdtimer are both pretty nice and somewhat complex looking for them. this is one of my recent desires:
T035_428_36_051_00_2.jpg

Looks pretty great, but it kind of bothers me that there's so much space between the seconds circle and the case. I'd rather the distance to the case was equal to the hour circle, like this:

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Well, what about this watch?

complication watch that has features in its movement that's considered on par with VC and the likes.

Montblanc-Meisterstuck-Heritage-Perpetual-Calendar-21.jpg

I don't like nomos designs. They're too bland and boring. Hopefully they make a moonphase watch.

Not a big fan of the Mont Blanc, the subdials feels squished in the middle of the dial.
Which imo, and of those I've read (granted, not that many), is that it is a sign of the movement not being that great. So curious that it's being compared to VC, and the like. Imo, it's not even close.

Not a big fan of the Mont Blanc, the subdials feels squished in the middle of the dial.
Which imo, and of those I've read (granted, not that many), is that it is a sign of the movement not being that great. So curious that it's being compared to VC, and the like. Imo, it's not even close.

It IS not even close, 100% agree, only the Nicolas Rieussec line at MontBlanc can be compared to true high end pieces - and that's still debatable.

This is a very clumsy design with a non-decorated (like really PLAIN) ETA 2824 with an added Dubois Depraz perp calendar module. The only BIG advantage of this watch is the price point compared to its JLC/Swiss counterpart ($13k for the Montblanc / $20k for the JLC / $50k+ for pretty much any other perp calendar from Switzerland :D). But honestly, if you can put $13k toward a timepiece, and you really want a perp calendar, I would advise to save more and pass on this :)

montblanc doesn't hold a candle to vacheron

Amen

Edit: Also major advantage of the watch... Chris Pratt wears it :D

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Ah, the feature set, i.e. perpetual calender, is being compared to VC etc. Well... sure. Still not an attractive watch, and for that money I'd take a AP RO any day of the week.

Alright people, I never said the entire package of the watch is comparable to VC and other high end watches. Matter of fact, what I read has to do with the finishing of the movement. I can't find the review. Maybe it was mono-chrome.seriously, who the fuck would compare a brand like montcblanc to VC?

either way, VC are pretty damn ugly watches and boring, too. And don't get me started on AP. If you have no taste in fashion in general, or a rapper, then sure.

Rolex hits the sweet spot on so many levels. They don't make overly large watches. Their watches you can wear both formal or casually. I love the explorer, exII, and submariner.

omega, their watches keep getting bigger. I love their designs, but they wouldn't fit my wrist. The railmaster and aq 8500 id get.

Rolex hits the sweet spot on so many levels.

omega, their watches keep getting bigger. I love their designs, but they wouldn't fit my wrist. The railmaster and aq 8500 id get.

agreed re: rolex

it's a shame that omega phased out their 36.2mm aqua terra variants 3(?) years ago (the 2500d series) (great watch, btw)

they hardly ever pop up on watchrecon, so you'll need a bit of luck to track down one in mint condition/used old stock

when will this wrist plate trend die? >.>

Matter of fact, what I read has to do with the finishing of the movement. I can't find the review.

The finishing of the movement is being compared to VC? I would be very interested in reading this review :p

I just lost an auctionata bid for 50 euros to an Italian guy named Guido :( (damn you Guido :D), on this beauty:

edit: just saw the new post, makes a lot of sense, the pulsograph is actually embarking a (fantastic) minerva movement which finish does not pale in comparison to the high end brands out there.

wow, that tricompax is beautiful

that patina... O_O

sorry you didn't win it

even if that beauty needed a complete servicing that would have been a steal

wow, that tricompax is beautiful

that patina... O_O

sorry you didn't win it

even if that beauty needed a complete servicing that would have been a steal

I lost it 'by' 50 euros, sorry for my approximate English, the watch went up to 950 euros, my max bid was 900, the watch is fully serviced, I hesitated 2 seconds to go to a thousand, but it was hammer time already :)

I'll have other opportunities to add one on my wrist I imagine, I am 'so' in love with UG, I just 'need' one :)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Alright people, I never said the entire package of the watch is comparable to VC and other high end watches. Matter of fact, what I read has to do with the finishing of the movement. I can't find the review. Maybe it was mono-chrome.seriously, who the fuck would compare a brand like montcblanc to VC?

either way, VC are pretty damn ugly watches and boring, too. And don't get me started on AP. If you have no taste in fashion in general, or a rapper, then sure.

Rolex hits the sweet spot on so many levels. They don't make overly large watches. Their watches you can wear both formal or casually. I love the explorer, exII, and submariner.

Yeah, read a little quick.

But AP is beyond reproach, regardless some of their Offshore monstrosities. The Royal Oak is one of the most beautiful watches conceived, imo.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Rolex has been getting bigger as well. I wouldn't go for the new ceramic models personally.
Already thinking of a new watch for late next year... really leaning towards Explorer II on white.

very nice. congrats, dallow

Thanks!

that looks great. really like the speedy pro. congrats on the purchase. super nice watch

FWIW, I got the speedy auto and it wears quite a bit smaller than the dimensions suggest. It appears the same holds true for the pro.

the listed OD (42 or 38 for pro, auto) is not the dim of the main black bezel but also includes a 2mm asymmetric bit that extends over the chrono pushers on the right side. that part doesn’t really stand out and so the watch looks more like something 2mm smaller.

The speedy auto bracelet is a bit too flashy (more shiny, less matte) than I prefer so I bought a black hirsch grand duke strap and will be putting that on in a week when it arrives.

Definitely, It feels just right on my wrist (about 6.75").
Do post pics of the Auto when you put your new strap on it. I'm thinking of switching mine onto the included nato.

Congrats, great watch. Hope to get my hands on one some day.

My Metro is scheduled to be delivered today, although the tracking listed on the FedEx website is a little messed up so who knows And I'm not sure if there'll be anyone home when they show up. Regardless should have it by the end of the week even if (nearly) everything goes wrong.

You must post pics of it when you can. I love the fun look of the Metro.
Haven't seen too many people actually have one in hand.

The Ahoi seemed to be too large for me due to the long lugs when I tried it on. I'm hoping the Metro fits better.

Seiko's first dive watch. Easily the top five best looking dive watch designs ever:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f21/413224d1301505123-what-seiko-divers-must-have-your-colleciton-6217or62mas.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I really like that dial.

I lost it 'by' 50 euros, sorry for my approximate English, the watch went up to 950 euros, my max bid was 900, the watch is fully serviced, I hesitated 2 seconds to go to a thousand, but it was hammer time already :)

I'll have other opportunities to add one on my wrist I imagine, I am 'so' in love with UG, I just 'need' one :)

ohhh, gotcha!

re: UG, i hear ya--love their chronos. i'm afraid it'd take up all of my wrist time if i owned one :p

Rolex watches seem to be getting bigger, but the good thing is that there designs relatively remain the same, which means buy used. I don't like the Sub's new box-like case. HATE IT. Also, I don't like the new hands on the EXII.

re: Rolex watches getting bigger

at least they seem to keep around their original dimension models when they ultimately upsize with their 'II' lines

pwack

I'm thinking of making a new big watch purchase. Maybe a Sub, maybe a Grand Seiko, Marinemaster, or springdrive landmaster. Not sure which. However, Timeless Luxury watches is participating in the Grand Seiko roadshow in two weeks. Thinking I'll take a trip to Dallas to check it out.

The yen to USD Exchange rate does make a JDM Seiko a terrific deal right now.

LCfiner

So, um, one week after receiving the speedy auto, I see a Speedy Pro in good shape for sale at WUS (another Canadian so easy sale, no potential customs fees). Spoke with the seller and it looks like we got a deal ready for the watch. I’m just waiting for some bank transfer info.

If all goes well, i’ll have a speedy pro in my hands by middle of next week. I will most likely be selling the speedy auto at that time.

I'm thinking of making a new big watch purchase. Maybe a Sub, maybe a Grand Seiko, Marinemaster, or springdrive landmaster. Not sure which. However, Timeless Luxury watches is participating in the Grand Seiko roadshow in two weeks. Thinking I'll take a trip to Dallas to check it out.

how much cheaper would be in USD?

So, um, one week after receiving the speedy auto, I see a Speedy Pro in good shape for sale at WUS (another Canadian so easy sale, no potential customs fees). Spoke with the seller and it looks like we got a deal ready for the watch. I’m just waiting for some bank transfer info.

If all goes well, i’ll have a speedy pro in my hands by middle of next week. I will most likely be selling the speedy auto at that time.

Which Pro is it? Which movement?

(also, greeting from another WIS from Montreal :D).

it’s the 3570.50
1861 cal

pic of the watch from the sale.

(I just completed the sale. woot!)

cheers from Montreal. :)

Great choice (the only one if you ask me). Is that some kind of patina already on the markers?

If you have any business with Timeless on Union or Chateau D'Ivoire, please don't hesitate to ping me, been a customer and spent (far too much money) at each store, so I may be able to help, enjoy!

LCfiner

Great choice (the only one if you ask me). Is that some kind of patina already on the markers?

If you have any business with Timeless on Union or Chateau D'Ivoire, please don't hesitate to ping me, been a customer and spent (far too much money) at each store, so I may be able to help, enjoy!

thanks for the offer. at this point I don’t know if I would need to go to those places except potentially for servicing a few years from now. or just to ogle some of the merchandise.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sale at longislandwatch, mostly Orients.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/default.asp

Bwahaha awesome.
What year is it?

I'd really like the Spring Drive Tuna. I need to go in there and try it out. I'm afraid it's just too large since it is bigger than my current Tuna.
If so, then I'm eyeing the Snowflake GS.

LCfiner

Sale at longislandwatch, mostly Orients.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/default.asp

Bwahaha awesome.
What year is it?

It’s late 90s. the seller is not the first owner so we don’t have the exact year of manufacture but he did mention that it’s around 20 years old, based on what he was told from previous owner.

based on the 1861 caliber, it’s from 1996 or later. looking at the patina on the markers, I’d figure it’s from the late 90s as opposed to a more recent make.

I’ll have some pics of the speedy auto and pro side by side next week before I put up the auto for sale. hopefully it sells fairly quickly. this pro purchase was a rash impulsive decision, lol. I need to recoup costs!

another pic cuz, damn, I’m a sucker for this watch

picture of a great watch

Mmmmm.

I don't know if you care for that kind of thing, or if that could be a way to negotiate the price, but the watch is most probably not "all original". The hour hand lume is pretty white, if you zoom in and compare it to the patina of the markers, which display a nice uneven yellow, you may deduce the hour hand is probably a replacement from Omega during a recent servicing. The minute hand is more debatable, I would say it can be original, but I am unsure.

All in all you should not care, as the most important part of the watch in terms of value and usage - the dial - is absolutely exquisite. Congrats!

LCfiner

Mmmmm.

I don't know if you care for that kind of thing, or if that could be a way to negotiate the price, but the watch is most probably not "all original". The hour hand lume is pretty white, if you zoom in and compare it to the patina of the markers, which display a nice uneven yellow, you may deduce the hour hand is probably a replacement from Omega during a recent servicing. The minute hand is more debatable, I would say it can be original, but I am unsure.

All in all you should not care, as the most important part of the watch in terms of value and usage - the dial - is absolutely exquisite. Congrats!

Honestly, as long as replacement parts aren't counterfeit, I'm fine with it.

I'm not as interested in the collectors aspect, where more value is placed on having all original parts.

Honestly, as long as replacement parts aren't counterfeit, I'm fine with it.

I'm not as interested in the collectors aspect, where more value is placed on having all original parts.

Wonderful, I do not want to be the the bad news guy, but genuinely wanted to make sure you knew exactly what you were getting :)
Enjoy your fantastic piece.

Enron

Banned
The blue Orient Mako XL (45mm) was 102 bucks on amazon as a lightning deal this morning. sold out instantly, but I was able to snag one. Probably won't knock my Omega off my wrist, but for 100 bucks will be ok with just wearing every now and again.

pic shamelessly stolen from GIS
5897538011_6eaba0fd49_z.jpg

It might sound stupid but the logos of some brands put me off when considering a new watch. I can't stand Tag's and Orient's logos. I won't even consider those brands when they come up in a direct comparison with a type of watch I am interested in.

That said, that Orient is beautiful btw. The logo doesn't even cheapen it for me.

pwack

Hey GAF,

I'm in the market for a new watch. I'm looking for an all black dial, metal band (but I am open to opinions), nothing over the top watch. i don't really care for any specific features besides maybe water resilient. With today being black Friday maybe some of your favorites will be on sale. Here's what I have now:

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/new-c...8AuIyfTY1_YOPYwjZg-uofyg3DsyE6dCZIhoCdNnw_wcB

Sorry for the crazy link! Any help would be great.

That Citizen is a good watch, although it will likely be cheaper on Newegg or Jomashop or Amazon.

Also, consider a Seiko, including a SKX007; around $200 on Amazon.

Enron

Banned
Hey GAF,

I'm in the market for a new watch. I'm looking for an all black dial, metal band (but I am open to opinions), nothing over the top watch. i don't really care for any specific features besides maybe water resilient. With today being black Friday maybe some of your favorites will be on sale. Here's what I have now:

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/new-c...8AuIyfTY1_YOPYwjZg-uofyg3DsyE6dCZIhoCdNnw_wcB

Sorry for the crazy link! Any help would be great.

heck, just check out the black version of the watch i posted above: Orient Mako XL. Or just a plain 'ol black orient Mako. You should be able to find one for 100-150$.

Mako on left, Mako XL on the right

bw8IzIG.jpg

faint.

That Citizen is a good watch, although it will likely be cheaper on Newegg or Jomashop or Amazon.

Also, consider a Seiko, including a SKX007; around $200 on Amazon.

I should have clarified that I already OWN the Citizen, but thanks, I'll check out the Seiko.

heck, just check out the black version of the watch i posted above: Orient Mako XL. Or just a plain 'ol black orient Mako. You should be able to find one for 100-150$.

Mako on left, Mako XL on the right

I really like the non-XL variant in black. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks to you both!

don't buy a dive watch unless that's what you're in the market for

that ray's single pusher for the date/day wheels irks me about its design

don't buy a dive watch unless that's what you're in the market for

that ray's single pusher for the date/day wheels irks me about its design

I'm in the market, though. I had a hammy viewmatic, but sold it because my mother needed help.

I love the design and ruggedness of the skx series, and I do think the jubilee bracelet is comfortable.

I'm not spending over $300. I want brand new, and I didn't really see any autos you can dress up or down >300.

EDIT-HMMM. Not sure if I should get the SKX007. I know the lug to lug is less than 50, which is fine on my wrist, but I'm worry the 013 would be too small at 38mm.

Also, WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID SEIKO DISCONTINUE THE SKX031!? The watch looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c2xm-sSY5Y

I didn't find any on eBay. At least not the Pepsi in 40mm.

now I'm actually thinking about the sarb035. Clear caseback, not too thick, and you can dress up or down.

I did find one on global.rakuten for under $300. Am I missing something? Shipping is free too. Maybe import duties? If yes, what's the cost?

lo siento, jason

my post was directed at the poster above you

i ought to make use of the quote feature more

btw, the sarb line wear quite large, just a heads up

Enron

Banned
I should have clarified that I already OWN the Citizen, but thanks, I'll check out the Seiko.

I really like the non-XL variant in black. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks to you both!

Here's something else for you to think about. I saw this on WatchUseek this morning.

Orient Men's CEM65004B 'Black Mako' Automatic Rubber Strap Dive Watch for $71 with 30% discount with CYBERWK14.
Amazon.com: Orient Men's CEM65004B 'Black Mako' Automatic Rubber Strap Dive Watch: Orient: Watches

The Orient Men's EM6500BB "Ray" Automatic Stainless Steel Dive Watch with Black Rubber Band can also be had for $82 with 30% discount
Amazon.com: Orient Men's EM6500BB "Ray" Automatic Stainless Steel Dive Watch with Black Rubber Band: Watches

both of these orients have rubber straps, but are 70-80ish dollars. You can always get an aftermarket bracelet (or perhaps even an actual orient one) rather cheaply.

I didn't find any on eBay. At least not the Pepsi in 40mm.

now I'm actually thinking about the sarb035. Clear caseback, not too thick, and you can dress up or down.

I did find one on global.rakuten for under $300. Am I missing something? Shipping is free too. Maybe import duties? If yes, what's the cost?

Depends on where you are. I paid 17% to the Canadian Customs when I imported one from them.

But if you are already going from a diver to a sarb035 from one day to the next, you are probably not ready to pull the trigger, take your time to be sure what should be your next piece, you don't want to end up selling it right after like the Hami...

Slizz

Why do I want this slightly overpriced quartz watch?

PIYZuNY.jpg

I've been thinking about buying this watch for years. Think I might finally pull the trigger, but I really only want automatic or solar/eco-drive watches now.

Top Bottom