• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Not too familiar with Tissot's history. Maybe they were high calibre over 100 years ago, but now they're considered entry level luxury watches.

As for Zenith, yes, they're a very good company. Could possibly cost a couple hundreds for each watch to get them cleaned serviced if you find a good independent watch repair shop.

They're both nice watches.

This is my first post in this thread and to be honest, it's probably not worthy of a post given some of the stunning watches on display in here but it's the first wrist watch that I've worn that cost more than a tenner, the first watch I've worn since I was a teenager and was gifted to me at Christmas by my fiance so I'm excited about it.
IMG_20150117_221609_zpswuwajvxx.jpg

IMG_20150117_221643_zpsuflbm1sy.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality also.

LCfiner

Eco-drive charges last for months. No winders or special care needed.

I did end up purchasing the Seiko Brightz limited edition chrono. Very very happy.

In addition to great styling (IMO) and materials, also a pretty interesting movement.
"Ticking away is the 8R48, an automatic column wheel chronograph with not one, but three vertical clutches. This means that each chronograph hand is driven by its own vertical clutch, and not just the seconds hand as is often the case. The result is that all chronograph hands move with a continuous sweep. It is something totally unique to Seiko, and it is quite a bit of impressive engineering for a watch positioned well under 2K."
http://wornandwound.com/2014/12/22/jdm-seiko-5-seiko-watches-really-want/

More pics:

Your post inspired me to start looking more seriously for some vintage panda dial chronos (something more affordable than the newer automatics). Just made an offer - and it was accepted - for a vintage Seiko 6138-8020 panda on ebay. 2 dial register. Very Good condition

From the description, it's supposed to be the original dial and not an aftermarket one. The pics from the auction do seem to back that up. (no lume blobs on indices and its not a gloss white like the aftermarkets)

It's supposed to run well but I know I'm taking a chance on this as its quite an older watch and there may be issues with how it runs after some time or if the clutch on the chrono is wearing out. But I just fell in love with the look.

bccVRyr.jpg

Gorgeous

Your post inspired me to start looking more seriously for some vintage panda dial chronos (something more affordable than the newer automatics). Just made an offer - and it was accepted - for a vintage Seiko 6138-8020 panda on ebay. 2 dial register. Very Good condition

From the description, it's supposed to be the original dial and not an aftermarket one. The pics from the auction do seem to back that up. (no lume blobs on indices and its not a gloss white like the aftermarkets)

It's supposed to run well but I know I'm taking a chance on this as its quite an older watch and there may be issues with how it runs after some time or if the clutch on the chrono is wearing out. But I just fell in love with the look.

bccVRyr.jpg

GorgeOus

There are so many beautiful quartz variants of that. It's a shame that seiko produces so few modern auto's in that same style.

Enron

Banned
Yeah, I think it's futile to continue arguing. They won't even replace it. For future reference, I'm going to research sellers more carefully, even if I have to pay more.

Also, I found a couple of highly reputable watch repair shops in my area. One person said he'll give me a discount, because I mentioned to him how I found his name on Watchuseek, LOL!

The day/date I can live with. The chapter ring just bugs me.

Or how difficult would it be to fix it myself? What tools would I need? I don't want to spend $50-$100 to fix it myself if that's the case.

Thanks

I wouldnt suggest any repairs on your own unless it was just on the bracelet or something and even then not unless you were supremely confident. take it to a dude to get it fixed.

Honestly, those defects wouldn't even bother me. Especially on a sub-200 dollar watch.

LCfiner

There are so many beautiful quartz variants of that. It's a shame that seiko produces so few modern auto's in that same style.

agreed. I don’t see any mech chronographs form them now (aside form that limited edition that pwack got) that catch my eye. they all seem too busy and large.

keezy

So my WAN2110's crown broke already.

Took it to my local watch shop and they said they'd need to replace the crown and stem on it and quoted the repairs at about $380.

Checked with Amazon about their watch warranty and I'm able to send it back for a full refund. I really lucked out on this. Grey market lesson learned. Going to hold on to the cash and buy a new watch when I go to Vegas for March Madness. I really like the Certina DS Action Diver. Lucky for me they have a botique in Aria.

Why would I need that? I mean, yeah, I have small bone structure, and wrists are only 6 inches in circumference, but I still have the body of a golden god. Let's see how many muscle ups watch-gaf can do? :)

I stopped by a watch repair shop in St Pete, and the guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. First, he said it may cost between $40-$50. Second, he said it could take a 1-2 hours. Third, he didn't seem to really know what he's talking about. I told him this seems to be a common issues with seiko watches, and he said no.

I called Rik Dietel up, whom I sent the picture via email, and he seems to know what he's talking about. He said he could do it in a couple of minutes if he really wanted to, at most 10 minutes.

I did tell him about the day/date alignment, though. He said that could be issue down the road where the watch stops working.

Also, it looks like the dial itself isn't fully attached to the chapter ring when I look at it more closely. He said the dial could be resting on the movement or something along the lines, but he won't know for sure until he opens it up.

I'm going to stop by Rik's Wednesday morning. He seems to be recommended around WUS.

This is frustrating. I could maybe call Amazon back and tell them how these issues could possibly affect the watch from not working.

Came back from Rik's place. He actually operates from him home. I mean, it makes sense to, right?

Anyway, great guy. Said the issue is it's a misprint. Nothing I can do about it, unless I get another dial. He did have a few old Seiko diver dials, but there wasn't any lume left on his dials. He could've installed one for $35.

Oh well. I asked him if it was his watch, would he just deal with it, and he said absolutely. I could either mod the watch, but that would probably cost a lot of money or just deal with it, which I think I will.

Enron

Banned
Came back from Rik's place. He actually operates from him home. I mean, it makes sense to, right?

Anyway, great guy. Said the issue is it's a misprint. Nothing I can do about it, unless I get another dial. He did have a few old Seiko diver dials, but there wasn't any lume left on his dials. He could've installed one for $35.

Oh well. I asked him if it was his watch, would he just deal with it, and he said absolutely. I could either mod the watch, but that would probably cost a lot of money or just deal with it, which I think I will.

i told ya. its a cheap diver - just deal with it. these things happen at that pricepoint.

Actually, modding the watch wouldn't be that difficult id think. All I would need is a case opener and some tweezers/toothpick and that's it. I'll just buy a new dial and hands.

that's all rik did. He used a case opener and a needle-like tool to remove the stem and crown. All I would need to do is remove the dial and hands carefully and put the new ones on.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

http://i.imgur.com/bccVRyr.jpg[IMG]

Gorgeous[/QUOTE]

You got a very nice one. Do take a picture when you get it in.

I also got very interested in a panda style chronograph after GS got that vintage Heuer Carrera 1153. I wouldn't mind getting one exactly like it haha, but I think I have my eye on something else now that I'm saving up for.

LCfiner

You got a very nice one. Do take a picture when you get it in.

I also got very interested in a panda style chronograph after GS got that vintage Heuer Carrera 1153. I wouldn't mind getting one exactly like it haha, but I think I have my eye on something else now that I'm saving up for.

I’ll def take some pics when I get it. Fingers crossed it works well and looks like the images the seller posted.

During the Xmas break a few weeks ago I spent some time going through this thread from back when Onkel C made it in 2008. Tons of great watches - and dead image links. It was a nice reminder of how the thread is a real nice place to see lots of interesting designs.

I want to change the bracelet on my skx to a strap. When I had my Hamilton viewmatic, the strap size was listed only as 7 inches. The strap's fit was fine on my wrist. For someone with a 6 inch wrist in circumference, should I look for 110/70 or 105/65 size straps?

Thanks

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Watch people, I have something of interest for you:

Over the last week I've been modelling the absurdly-expensive Nomos Metro in Cinema 4D, with surprisingly successful results.

You can read about some of the process here (the write-up contains more images)

Ah, the link is working now.
Very cool, I also checked out some of your other projects, very neat stuff.

I hope you do get to own a watch you actually like sometime soon, haha.

Can't remove the damn bracelet on my watch. I tried those tiny flathead screwdrivers, and its no go. Just going to go to a different jeweler to do it and put the rubber band on.

Ok I did it! Literally took 3 hours to remove bracelet and put the rubber strap on. And I scratched the shit out of the case lugs,lol.

it was hard trying to find a rubber strap that was 7 inches and cheap. Allwatchbands.com pulled through.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My watch box finally came in yesterday after a month in transit.

Nothing super special, just a nice handmade solid wood box. I'll do some pictures later.
It's the Rainer watch box that people used to rave about. Turns out he still sells them on eBay.

Any of you guys use a auto winder box? or have any suggestions for one. Saw a few on amazon but they are getting very mixed reviews that it does not work with some watches.

Blu10

Any of you guys use a auto winder box? or have any suggestions for one. Saw a few on amazon but they are getting very mixed reviews that it does not work with some watches.

I have this one: http://www.heidenwatchwinders.com/heiden-prestige-quad-watch-winder-black-p-7.html

I'm sure you can find it significantly cheaper than that price, but it works great, is quiet, doubles as a display case, and most importantly the motors are still chugging away no problem.

That is a really nice looking winder but a bit out of my price bracket. Most of the winders start off around £99 and all the really cheap once are not getting good reviews.

I will keep on searching

Keep an eye on the sound they produce when winding, some of them are loud as fuck, and if they are programmable with a few different settings you can save, all my watches require a different number of rotations/day to be fully wound, and linking the winder to my PC every week to change the setting would be even more annoying then setting the date/time on my watch :D

Just picked up a Speedmaster Reduced. I like it but need a few more links to fit my wrist which is a little big. I had a quick question for anyone that has one. When it is in Chrono mode is the minute hand supposed to sweep or tick?

LCfiner

Just picked up a Speedmaster Reduced. I like it but need a few more links to fit my wrist which is a little big. I had a quick question for anyone that has one. When it is in Chrono mode is the minute hand supposed to sweep or tick?

minute register ticks over at 60 second intervals. hour register sweeps

Pbae

HOHOHO! I guess we're SMR buddies. I just picked one up myself and I'm loving it. Mines a date version.

LCfiner

Weird, mine sweeps for the seconds and minutes on the chronograph and havent checked the hours yet. I noticed other peoples online sweep for the minute marker, is it just dependent on the movement?

looks like I’m wrong. I only had the reduced for a week and I thought I remembered it working like the speedy pro.

it doesn’t.

saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVwsQqfOf9k#t=102

he resets the chrono on speedy reduced (left side) in a few seconds and you can see the minute register snap back even though less than one minute had passed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thread needs more pictures.

I've been wearing the Speedy on the Omega issued nato for the last couple of months. Very comfortable and gives a nice contrast and shine with the polished keepers on the pure black material.

16282638027_542bb1a9ee_c.jpg

16467575312_ebc1993d2e_c.jpg

Also purchased an Isofrane strap with DLC buckle for the Golden Tuna.
I was worried about such an expensive purchase for a rubber strap, but was happy to find the great reviews on it had merit. Very soft and comfortable.

16467576462_a3e1f78467_c.jpg

15848447133_cb1a782ae0_c.jpg

16468519305_5e614c61eb_c.jpg

And finally, here's the box I finally received. Nothing super special, simple styling but hand made, and solid wood. Plus some pics of some of the other watches I have.
Half of them I'm selling off very soon.

16468517595_7bccd0f9fa_c.jpg

15846007044_4caf61789a_c.jpg

16468520135_d735a40832_c.jpg

Forsete

dallow: Very nice Tuna. :)

Might as well post my mixed collection. From super cheap and up. :p
The bracelet on the Vostok probably cost more than the watch itself, but it looks cool.

16270845671_6b7d2600c9_b.jpg

I'll add my meager watch box. I need to get a new battery for my Spaceview Accutron. The Superman watch is a gift for my nephew, I am a Spiderman guy.

Lm3FiCdl.jpg

Top Bottom