• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Enron

Banned

Yeah, there's tons of oddball Speedmasters over the years. Including a Galaxy Express 999 Edition!

k3292_1.jpg

k3292_5.jpg

I want one so bad. But hard to find.

Omega is out of control with Speedmasters. The White Side of the Moon is a crime against humanity.

Pelagos with in-house movement for <$5000 is sweeeet. I'd be so pissed if I had the ETA version.

LCfiner

Can anyone suggest some watches similar to these that aren't crazy over-priced (especially for a quartz)? I think it's gorgeous and functional for me as I'm doing a lot of travel for work now (back and forth from Eastern to Central to Mountain to Western timezones).

http://www.filson.com/products/the-...valsProduct=watch-collections&fmetaProduct=10

30317-main-100.jpg

30323-main-104.jpg

for this style at a lower price point, I&#8217;d consider Fossil.

http://www.fossil.com/store/Fossil/...ategory_rn=357584&departmentCategoryId=331209

as an example.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hey guys, new Nomos :)

Super thin new automatic movement:
DUW3001

TANGENTE AUTOMATIK
First automatic Tangente, 35mm, 6.9mm thick

METRO 38 DATUM
Slightly larger Metro, no more power reserve, new colors

MINAMATIK
curved glass, 35.5mm, meant to be for women per the description?

That Tudor is my next watch. I came in just to post it, and someone already beat me to it. Here's more details:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/the-tudor-north-flag-with-in-house-movement
Love this but so similar to my Damasko...

Damn, I'm shocked at the price. I expected double that at minimum.
Seems like an awesome little tool watch. Funny that it also reminded me of Damasko and their new inhouse bracelet.

First Patek I am disappointed with in years... And that Tudor is sex. Surprising Baselworld it seems :)
Which Patek?

Yeah, there's tons of oddball Speedmasters over the years. Including a Galaxy Express 999 Edition!

http://clockmaker.com.au/w/k3292_1.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://clockmaker.com.au/w/k3292_5.jpg[/IG]

I want one so bad. But hard to find.[/QUOTE]
Ha yes. I saw a couple for sale online when I was searching for mine a while back.

Not a fan of NOMOS for some strange reason. I dunno what it is. It's not their style. It's just brand history I guess. I do like the lamba or whatever it's called.

Omega-Globemaster-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-hands-on-aBlogtoWatch-14.jpg

Omega-Globemaster-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-hands-on-aBlogtoWatch-08.jpg

Omega-Globemaster-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-hands-on-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Could be a grail watch for me.

Can anyone suggest some watches similar to these that aren't crazy over-priced (especially for a quartz)? I think it's gorgeous and functional for me as I'm doing a lot of travel for work now (back and forth from Eastern to Central to Mountain to Western timezones).

[ul]http://www.filson.com/products/the-journeyman-gmt-watch.30317.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=watch-collections&fmetaProduct=10[/url]

[IG]http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/30317-main-100.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/30323-main-104.jpg[/IMG]

By similar watches, do you mean ones with that rotating bezel for time zones? The search term you need is World Time.

You will find this for around $400 or so if you look online.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=at9010-52E

Seiko has a few models also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FV7AOQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not a fan of NOMOS for some strange reason. I dunno what it is. It's not their style. It's just brand history I guess. I do like the lamba or whatever it's called.

Omega-Globemaster-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-hands-on-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Could be a grail watch for me.

Not a big fan of this, especially the pie pan dial.

The "Master Chronometer" rating that Omega is now rolling out is pretty cool. Will be interesting to see when Rolex goes away from COSC.

By similar watches, do you mean ones with that rotating bezel for time zones? The search term you need is World Time.

You will find this for around $400 or so if you look online.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=at9010-52E

Seiko has a few models also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FV7AOQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome! That's what I was looking for. I kept running into GMT watches but I wanted the 'world time' on the dial. I bought the blue face seiko.

Flo_Evans

Any other suggestions similar to this?

rEWaZYW.jpg

Sinn 856 tegimented

I think $2k is my max... I really love how clean and simple this watch is.

IDK, I am by no means an watch expert but have really never heard of Sinn mentioned outside this thread. I sort of like that it is lesser known, but at the same time if spending a good deal of change on a watch you kind of want people to know right? :p

Last time I was wearing my Nixon out some guy commented on it and was like "Whoa is that an invicta?" and I was like no its a nixon... I guess he didn't hear me or whatever cause he kept going on about how he had one too and how awesome they are... I actually do have an invicta that I am not too fond of but for some reason his mistaking my sorta cheap watch for a different cheap watch pissed me off.

Not sure where I was going with that...

NFoWGHF.jpg

another example of the style I like, although I think for my 1st "real" watch I want to get a stainless bracelet.

Something classy and not to bulky that I can wear comfortably with a suit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

rEWaZYW.jpg

Sinn 856 tegimented

IDK, I am by no means an watch expert but have really never heard of Sinn mentioned outside this thread. I sort of like that it is lesser known, but at the same time if spending a good deal of change on a watch you kind of want people to know right? :p

Last time I was wearing my Nixon out some guy commented on it and was like "Whoa is that an invicta?" and I was like no its a nixon... I guess he didn't hear me or whatever cause he kept going on about how he had one too and how awesome they are... I actually do have an invicta that I am not too fond of but for some reason his mistaking my sorta cheap watch for a different cheap watch pissed me off.

NFoWGHF.jpg

another example of the style I like, although I think for my 1st "real" watch I want to get a stainless bracelet.

Another German brand, Damasko perhaps? Slightly less than the 856 tegimented I believe.
http://www.watchmann.com/proddetail.php?prod=DA36B

Damasko36Bracelet3L.jpg

2BD5F3A4-1FD3-437A-83DD-AF9499A0F1A3_zpsiywgvf1c.jpg

Also in white/full lume (I've been wanting this one).
iphone011.jpg

Flo_Evans

hmm that looks nice too.

LOL I was reading back through the thread and in 2008 I promised to post some pics of my wife's watches.

here it goes:

AsFHwWm.jpg

I'm mot sure if this one is nice or not? Rulon? Never heard of it.

FIIWlXE.jpg

I liked the concave glass though

7CelATS.jpg

zbhdDye.jpg

4M6eYwI.jpg

hwEz4P1.jpg

gYjJccg.jpg

j0I01up.jpg

0QYKc3c.jpg

pRWaWjr.jpg

rEWaZYW.jpg

Sinn 856 tegimented

NFoWGHF.jpg

That SINN is a nice looking watch...

Man, there is some strange beauty in watches that are clearly beaten like the ones posted by Flo Evans. Like they are saying: "I have so many stories to tell you..."

I've read your post a few times over and I have no clue what you are saying.

Haha, really?

Let me try again:

What I mean is, at least to me, a watch should be treated like a precious jewel. My watches are in mint condition, all of them. So... I've always had the idea that a watch in bad condition, even from only a cosmetic point of view, equals to an "useless" item.

But looking at those posted by Flo Evans, they look great with all those "scars". Like a great leather jacket, the more you use it, the better it looks.

Now, if you don't understand what I mean, I give up and refuse to blame myself for my mediocre english.

-------------

That Zenith El Primero, WOW.

Also wow at this Stowa:

rana_blech_800.jpg

rana_ruck_gross_800.jpg

rana_seite_800.jpg

I was laughing at the name, Rana, which means frog in spanish, then I looked at the back of the watch, and what do I see? a damn frog on it, tehehe.

Care to elaborate? :)

Well, I would prefer not as I know that a lot of people love/own Stowas, especially on this thread, and I don't want to sound disrespectful. But let's just say that the philosophy of Jorg Schauer is pretty much at the opposite of what I personally appreciate in watchmaking. I just think that what once made Stowa a great and relevant horological brand is long lost :)

(but my point was really just to say I don't like the Rana, nothing else :D).

Well, I would prefer not as I know that a lot of people love/own Stowas, especially on this thread, and I don't want to sound disrespectful. But let's just say that the philosophy of Jorg Schauer is pretty much at the opposite of what I personally appreciate in watchmaking. I just think that what once made Stowa a great and relevant horological brand is long lost :)

Ah ok, I would preferred a longer (technical) explanation since I'm planning to buy a Stowa later this year.

BTW, I'd never feel offended by someone criticizing an item I own, I tend to think I'm not alone on this, but maybe it's just me :)

On topic, I've been contemplating to buy a BRAUN watch for a long time. I like the super simple design, what do you guys think about it?

bn0032bkbkmhg-b.jpg

Maybe someone here has another interesting recommendation for USD200 aprox :D

I'm also quite curious about your opinion on the brand GalacticSushiman. Jorg Schauer seems well loved on WUS and he seems to be quite active over there.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

As a Stowa owner, I say, lay into them :) no one would get offended. No watch/brand is universally loved.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Before GS goes on his annual Stowa rant (just kidding!) ;-)
I should add some pics of a couple watches I picked up this year that I haven't posted yet.

1963 Chinese Air Force Chronograph tribute
This is a little different from the Seagull 1963s that have been posted before. There was a thread on WUS gathering interest in making a version closer to the original. I went for a black dial version with red chrono hand. It's 37mm.

I'm switching out the strap to a zulu or perlon later this week.

Junghans Max Bill
This is the 34mm handwind model that I bought almost brand new as the original owner decided to get the larger automatic instead but had removed the tags.
I kind of got it as a personal experiment to see how I felt about a 34mm watch myself. I given it some time, and switched it to a small steel mesh strap, but am not bonding with it. I think it's a tad too small, though sometimes it feels and looks ok. I'm probably going to sell it.

What is the height of this chinese air force chronograph? I remember that the seagull was very hefty for its diameter :/

Still, both are very beautiful.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What is the height of this chinese air force chronograph? I remember that the seagull was very hefty for its diameter :/

Still, both are very beautiful.

Looks like officially it's 14mm which is on the heftier side. I'll see if I measure any different and post if it is.

Ah ok, I would preferred a longer (technical) explanation since I'm planning to buy a Stowa later this year.

BTW, I'd never feel offended by someone criticizing an item I own, I tend to think I'm not alone on this, but maybe it's just me :)

I'm also quite curious about your opinion on the brand GalacticSushiman. Jorg Schauer seems well loved on WUS and he seems to be quite active over there.

As a Stowa owner, I say, lay into them :) no one would get offended. No watch/brand is universally loved.

Before GS goes on his annual Stowa rant (just kidding!) ;-)

Well, I am surprised tbh, my point of view is actually not that 'strange' (among snobs :D).

I am not a fan of manufactured heritage, EXCEPT if the person/company re-launching a brand does so with respect to the brand history. Perrelet, Panerai, Stowa are examples of 'modern re-launches' which I personally do not respect as the 'new' has nothing to do with the 'origins' in terms of craft, positioning in the watch world, objectives, etc. Stowa is a direct to consumer, swiss generic movement based brand today, what the hell does it have to do with Stowa the original brand?
(...But hey, at least their pricing is not that horrible).
(and that does not mean I would never recommend a Stowa, I could actually, but not before insisting that saving more for a Nomos is really a much better idea :D)

And then there is Lange unt Sohne: modern re-launch done with honesty and authenticity, today one of my favorite brand... So there is no curse :)

That's it, sorry if I 'rant' too much or sound like a broken record :)

rossonero

Hi guys, I need some help if you may. Was thinking about getting a watch for my brother who is soon 30. I was looking at various Tissot, Certina and Victorinox watches with metal bands for about $4-500, maybe even $600. It's really hard to decide which one to pick, does any of you have a suggestion? Maybe even some other nice brand?

Man, what a disappointment, I was expecting an inflammatory post from GS :p

In all seriousness, I don't see anything wrong with Stowa current stance; most probably it's cause I'm not a purist crazy fan of watches, yet :p, but to me, the appeal of a watch is mostly in the design. In that regard, Stowa delivers, IMO.

LCfiner

Man, what a disappointment, I was expecting an inflammatory post from GS :p

In all seriousness, I don't see anything wrong with Stowa current stance; most probably it's cause I'm not a purist crazy fan of watches, yet :p, but to me, the appeal of a watch is mostly in the design. In that regard, Stowa delivers, IMO.

that's my feeling as well. I'm not nearly as interested in company history, though I under stand the POV of people who are. I care more about current design. And while I may appreciate an in-house movement, it's not something that makes or breaks a decision for me so Stowa's ETA movements don't bother me.

that's my feeling as well. I'm not nearly as interested in company history, though I under stand the POV of people who are. I care more about current design. And while I may appreciate an in-house movement, it's not something that makes or breaks a decision for me so Stowa's ETA movements don't bother me.

That's not my point. The fact Stowa uses ETA and not in-house is just part of the big picture. The issue is what does the company has to say? (and therefore, what does a Stowa on your wrist means?).

Buying the name of a respectable German flieger maker to produce generic case in asia and put a swiss movement in it is just not an interesting message.

And a watch is all about the message :)

LCfiner

That's not my point. The fact Stowa uses ETA and not in-house is just part of the big picture. The issue is what does the company has to say? (and therefore, what does a Stowa on your wrist means?).

Buying the name of a respectable German flieger maker to produce generic case in asia and put a swiss movement in it is just not an interesting message.

And a watch is all about the message :)

This is definitely where you and I differ :).

I care less about message and history and more about current design.

You are more interested in history, legacy, message, manufacture, etc.

This is definitely where you and I differ :).

I care less about message and history and more about current design.

You are more interested in history, legacy, message, manufacture, etc.

Legacy, history, etc. all those a big words with very blurry and questionable meaning in my experience.

The only thing that matters is the message.

What does wearing this piece means for you? What is the story? How does it relate to who you are? That's all I care about, and visual look is part of it, design (as in 'purpose of the item) is also part of it, how it is/was done, its (potential) history, the objective of the piece, etc.

Flo_Evans

Wish I had some more high end stuff to mess with, my brother didn't want me to open the case on his Omega for an interior shot lol.

edit, speaking of which, do you guys have any recommendations for basic watch tools? I'd really like to change some straps around, and I think I will need some bigger straps if I end up getting a nicer Japanese seiko. Seems like the domestic bracelets are all made for 7" wrists in the Japanese market.. my wrists are 8"+

also -some quick snaps of the new Seikos

M0Sv5zy.jpg

is59rVu.jpg

Top Bottom