• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

When it comes to desirability?

Only Omega has watches that I would be interested in. Rolex and Patek get my respect for quality. I don't have any affinity with the brands though. TAG does nothing for me and I wouldn't want to be caught dead with a Breitling.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Gents, quick poll

How to you rate a the following. 1 is top and 5 is bottom

Rolex
TAG Heuer
Omega
Patek Philippe Watches
Breitling
For me on this list, its Omega and then nothing else. I really don't like the look of Tags, Rolex or Breitling.

I prefer the looks of watches from Hamilton, Nomos, stowa, those types.

I have a nice vintage Omega and the only other one I want is the Aqua Terra skyfall, dat blue, it calls to me.

Forsete

Omega makes beautiful watches, Rolex has the submariner. But these brands pass the pain threshold for me when it comes to price.

Breitling makes me limp.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
My first Omega! Brand new P.O. 2200.50.00 with the 2500D movement.

attachment.php

This is the watch i am going to buy whenever i decide to finally get a nice timepiece. Only thing that bugs me are the seven(?) different fond types used on the watch.

Omega makes great watches, but they're all too thick. Hell, the 2254 should wear smaller than my skx0007, but it doesn't.

Rolex is the other brand where the submariner, ex2, and ex1 aren't thick.

iwc, well they're like clocks. The ingenuier is actually a nice sized watch. So is the Portuguese.

Forsete

Time for another watch restoration post. :p

I used my Orient for a while at work, well the bracelet quickly accumulated scratches so I went back to wearing my digital Casio watch. :/

Well, anyway with nothing better to do I tried to restore the bracelet.

This is what it looked like.
15913642664_3cdbc6d416_b.jpg

15916041363_6a8d3741db_b.jpg

Using a scotch brite pad to get the scratches out, this works perfectly on stainless steel.
16536231585_7a3f2ac140_b.jpg

Used paper tape to cover the polished stripes while using the pad on the inside parts.
16349947549_2615d5c1b0_b.jpg

Some of the polished stripes had gotten scratched, so here I am carefully polishing them back up.
16534520731_08f75a5504_b.jpg

Done. Back to original condition.. almost anyway. :p
15913654014_333b1783b9_b.jpg

16510207266_6a754a8ac7_b.jpg

LCfiner

I got a couple new watches the past few weeks.

first, a vintage Seiko 6138-8020 panda chronograph. It is an original dial with the linen-like texture. Very nice. it came with this brown strap but I ordered a 19mm black strap with white stitching.

IMG_0143.jpg

And then the big one… an Omega planet Ocean 2500C model. it was a Canadian seller offering the watch plus a few extras for a pretty good price. couldn’t resist. I really love it. it’s taken over almost all my wrist time.

I also ordered a black leather strap with orange contrast stitching to change the look up and an orange rubber strap. I should get those in a week.

IMG_0144.jpg

lume on the PO is ridiculous… can’t quite capture it here.

IMG_0146.jpg

I got a couple new watches the past few weeks.

first, a vintage Seiko 6138-8020 panda chronograph. It is an original dial with the linen-like texture. Very nice. it came with this brown strap but I ordered a 19mm black strap with white stitching.

IMG_0143.jpg

And then the big one… an Omega planet Ocean 2500C model. it was a Canadian seller offering the watch plus a few extras for a pretty good price. couldn’t resist. I really love it. it’s taken over almost all my wrist time.

I also ordered a black leather strap with orange contrast stitching to change the look up and an orange rubber strap. I should get those in a week.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

That Omega is a nice looking watch... like the orange in the watch face

LCfiner

That Omega is a nice looking watch... like the orange in the watch face

same. I like the hints of orange. I love the clean lines on the planet ocean. It's my favorite take on the dive watch that I've seen. (I need to try on an 8500 model but I fear they've made it too thick for my taste)

Going back to your older post about different manufacturers, regardless of mechanical pedigree, Omega is the top of the list for me when it comes to making items I really want to wear.

beyond that, I like some of the less blingy rolex designs and the Monaco from Tag. I find that the lower end Patek Aquanaut has very awkward design issues that I don't like (weirdness with the alignment of indeces and the date window). the higher end ones... well, they're not realistically anything I could consider owning.

Need some opinions gents.

I am planning on buying a Rolex to commemorate the upcoming birth of my second child. I plan on keeping the watch and passing it on at some point.

Originally I wanted something I could wear everyday and was not too blingy, so I was planning on getting the no-date Submariner (114060):

3191_3545_rolex__114060.jpg

However, a couple things I am not sure about:

• Screms Rolex
  • All black and I rarely wear black
  • Super common

So now I am re-thinking and looking at the 216570 Polar Explorer II:

generate_stamp.php

Feel the white dial is more casual and love the added 24hr/GMT functionality.

What do you guys think?

same. I like the hints of orange. I love the clean lines on the planet ocean. It's my favorite take on the dive watch that I've seen. (I need to try on an 8500 model but I fear they've made it too thick for my taste)

Going back to your older post about different manufacturers, regardless of mechanical pedigree, Omega is the top of the list for me when it comes to making items I really want to wear.

beyond that, I like some of the less blingy rolex designs and the Monaco from Tag. I find that the lower end Patek Aquanaut has very awkward design issues that I don't like (weirdness with the alignment of indeces and the date window). the higher end ones... well, they're not realistically anything I could consider owning.

My dad just got this today,

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...an-600-m/omega-co-axial-455-mm/23290462103001

Very nice looking, I am jealous as hell. I cannot wait to get my watch back tomorrow as it went in for a service.

kharma45

Speaking of Omega's, I got my grandfather's old Constellation out of the drawer. I'd not worn it as it needed a new strap and I'd been too lazy to get it done. Finally got a cheap one for £5 to get wearing it again.

Quite liking it, even if it does run a bit fast. Far from perfect condition but then it is quite old.

Speaking of Omega's, I got my grandfather's old Constellation out of the drawer. I'd not worn it as it needed a new strap and I'd been too lazy to get it done. Finally got a cheap one for £5 to get wearing it again.

Quite liking it, even if it does run a bit fast. Far from perfect condition but then it is quite old.

If you get some cash get it serviced at Swisstimeservices.com. They are suppose to be really good. I am getting mine back tomorrow so I will let you know how it looks.

keezy

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Great looking watch! Congrats and enjoy!

I did not know the date window was changing bit by bit on those model, still, interesting piece.

To the Rolex question: go with the Sub, I rarely dress in black, yet it goes with anything, and you want a timeless design for a heirloom, not just something fashionable today :)

I am planning on buying a Rolex to commemorate the upcoming birth of my second child. I plan on keeping the watch and passing it on at some point.

Originally I wanted something I could wear everyday and was not too blingy, so I was planning on getting the no-date Submariner (114060):

• Screms Rolex
  • Super common

generate_stamp.php

What do you guys think?
Explorer explorer explorer
Maybe track the older model 16650 in 40mm?

To the Rolex question: go with the Sub, I rarely dress in black, yet it goes with anything, and you want a timeless design for a heirloom, not just something fashionable today :)

Agree with you 100%....Rolex Sub is absolutely timeless. Still want to get something I enjoy wearing every day. Also with Rolex not concerned very much with any of their watches being only fashionable today.

Explorer explorer explorer
Maybe track the older model 16650 in 40mm?

Definitively okay with the 42mm of the newer model (I have 7.5" wrists). I also prefer the orange hand and the maxi dial/markers.

LCfiner

• Screms Rolex
  • Super common

generate_stamp.php

What do you guys think?

I like the new blue/green milgauss

s5hwu3W.jpg

might not be for everyone, though...

LCfiner

Love it, especially the green crystal.

But want to avoid polished center links (sadly also why I am not considering the new BLNR GMT).

Oh yeah, I hear ya. that didn’t stand out to me at fist but I see it now. I had an older speedmaster reduced bracelet that was a little too shiny for my tastes.I know where you’re coming from.

I suppose of the two you posted, I slightly prefer the black dial sub, no date. Black dials can go well with lots of attire, imo.

I suppose you’ll plan to try on these watches (and more) at a dealer? that experience will probably make your decision.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Love it, especially the green crystal.

But want to avoid polished center links (sadly also why I am not considering the new BLNR GMT).

I really considered that watch, as I love watches with color. Still, I ended up with a Nomos but still love the Rolex.

I suppose you’ll plan to try on these watches (and more) at a dealer? that experience will probably make your decision.

Absolutely. Have tried on the Sub multiple times, but still waiting for my local dealer to get a Polar Exp2 in stock. Have tried on a black dial version.

Back from the service. I am very impressed as it looks like a new watch. Even got a hard case and a softcase from them with all the spares they returned

6Du9tzn.jpg

VQWptir.jpg

odHDXuR.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My newest acquisition. Favorite watch I've ever gotten.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/06/44cd315b79defccef9e2839cc2967a81.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

A masterpiece.

[quote="MaizeRage25, post: 154990771"]Decided to go Explorer II.

[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8678/16718015076_89ffd0dc33.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

That's what I would have chosen too. I really like it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Congrats! :) I am still so happy with mine, it has not left my wrist since I got it (well, not counting sleeping and when I am at work, then I still use my beat up Casio watch).

Why? :p
Now I am curious!

Because in the watch world dropping 10k on a watch is nothing! Never mind that that 10k watch actually lasts decades or even multiple lifetimes and is not obsolete when apple decides to no longer support it.

Enron

Banned
Back from the service. I am very impressed as it looks like a new watch. Even got a hard case and a softcase from them with all the spares they returned

http://i.imgur.com/6Du9tzn.jpg/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/VQWptir.jpg/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/odHDXuR.jpg/img][/QUOTE]

Nice! another 2254.50 owner! Should probably think about sending mine for a service soon - ive had it for over 6 years now.

StMeph

It's been a while, WatchGAF. The Apple watch stuff made me retreat back here for safety.

iwc, well they're like clocks. The ingenuier is actually a nice sized watch. So is the Portuguese.

IWC Portuguese is the one ETA that really tempts me.

Grats on both!

I really like the dial on the Seiko. Are there any others currently like it, new?

A few years ago, I was looking at a PO, and really wished then that they produced a LiquidMetal version with orange numerals. That would have been perfect, to me.

Top Bottom