• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Flo_Evans

Great value for money. It's a 44mm watch though, I would strongly suggest to try one 44mm watch on your wrist before taking the plunge if you did not already :)

I have big wrists, I think one of my invictas is a 44mm. The little 38mm seiko 5 feels quite small, might give it to the wife she seemed to really like it.

They also make a 47mm which is too big IMHO, actually I just looked it up the Seiko SNE327 I just got is 43mm and seems about perfect. Well the bracelet is kinda low quality but it was $100 watch.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
47 mm is just too big for a watch. Who wears a watch that big! I prefer 40 to 42ish but have one that is 44 and is okay. Also depends on how high it sits on the wrist.

New Christopher Ward looks a lot like a Speedmaster Professional IMO. Quartz though... *gag*
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/sport/c7-rapide-cosc/c7-42-cosc-390-skrk.html

Looks more like a Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 to me :)

TAG-Heuer-CARRERA-CALIBRE-1887_CERAMIC-BEZEL_43MM_CAR2A10.FC6235-.jpg

pwack

New Christopher Ward looks a lot like a Speedmaster Professional IMO. Quartz though... *gag*
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/sport/c7-rapide-cosc/c7-42-cosc-390-skrk.html

Boo on the "gag." Quartz is fine. Or, if you want to have high standards for a watch (aka, be a snob, not that being a snob is bad), pick a company that doesn't just do derivative homage mish-mashes like CW.

Personally, I am fine with both quartz and homages (to a large extent).

Boo on the "gag." Quartz is fine. Or, if you want to have high standards for a watch (aka, be a snob, not that being a snob is bad), pick a company that doesn't just do derivative homage mish-mashes like CW.

Personally, I am fine with both quartz and homages (to a large extent).

Fair point, I don't have an issue with Quartz usually. Just this one in particular for some reason.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
As I've mentioned, I really enjoy Tunas. They're the only large watch I can stand to wear; very likely it's due to the hidden lugs so the watch doesn't overextend itself on the wrist.
For non-sport watches, 40mm and under is what I like with 36-38 being the sweet spot.

I'm replacing my SBBN017 (on the left) with it's older brother the SBBN007 on the right that arrived Monday. (btw, these guys are 47.6mm and 47.2mm respectively)
I wanted the older style dial with the outlines on the markers. The difference is between them is greater pronounced in person than in pictures. The bezel typograhy and finish on the hands are slightly different as well.

I'll be listing it soon for sale on WUS along with a couple others.
I guess I can post in the B/S/T thread here too. Who knows.

16909967702_39657c459d_c.jpg

hobart

Good Morning TimeGAF.

So I've decided that the right thing to do for my wedding is to commemorate it with the purchase of a watch. I will be taking my time in selecting my next watch for myself. I do not expect to pay more than $8,000... But really that's my only rule.

I currently wear a Cartier Roadster as my daily. I also have Rolex Datejust with a dark blue face. I will be inheriting a Cartier Santos (Octo) and a Montblac Timewalker. There is also a super old Cartier Tank in my repertoire ... Black leather strap and yellow gold.

I am interested in an array of watches. I was introduced to Nomos through this thread. Extremely impressed by the line and the knowledge I've found through this community.

I'm the type of person that enjoys versatility in a watch. Something that can be worn casually as well as formally (thus my love for the Roadster). I have recently fallen in love with the fun of changing straps... This is something that I've never done but would be interested in getting into. I also enjoy having a piece that "holds value" ... One of the reasons why I really don't see myself ever owning a Breitling.

So - I'm looking for suggestions knowing full well that although I've given parameters... It's still rather broad. One of the aspects of my search that I've been struggling with is the fact that because it's a wedding gift... I'm hesitant towards finding something too casual. On the same token - I do think I would enjoy a casual watch as my selection.

So... Maybe some help? I'll include some brands that's I've browsed over the past month:

IWC; Cartier; Panerai; Bell and Ross; Tudor; Omega; Nomos.

Thanks gents!

Good Morning TimeGAF.

So I've decided that the right thing to do for my wedding is to commemorate it with the purchase of a watch. I will be taking my time in selecting my next watch for myself. I do not expect to pay more than $8,000... But really that's my only rule.

I currently wear a Cartier Roadster as my daily. I also have Rolex Datejust with a dark blue face. I will be inheriting a Cartier Santos (Octo) and a Montblac Timewalker. There is also a super old Cartier Tank in my repertoire ... Black leather strap and yellow gold.

I am interested in an array of watches. I was introduced to Nomos through this thread. Extremely impressed by the line and the knowledge I've found through this community.

I'm the type of person that enjoys versatility in a watch. Something that can be worn casually as well as formally (thus my love for the Roadster). I have recently fallen in love with the fun of changing straps... This is something that I've never done but would be interested in getting into. I also enjoy having a piece that "holds value" ... One of the reasons why I really don't see myself ever owning a Breitling.

So - I'm looking for suggestions knowing full well that although I've given parameters... It's still rather broad. One of the aspects of my search that I've been struggling with is the fact that because it's a wedding gift... I'm hesitant towards finding something too casual. On the same token - I do think I would enjoy a casual watch as my selection.

So... Maybe some help? I'll include some brands that's I've browsed over the past month:

IWC; Cartier; Panerai; Bell and Ross; Tudor; Omega; Nomos.

Thanks gents!

A few questions and I'll suggest something :)

Are you considering new and pre-owned? Is vintage a possibility? Is there something we should know about you and/or the wedding that could guide us for the genre? (Many genres fits your "versatility" needs like pilot/dressy chronos/dressed up divers/etc) Are you looking for a "simple" tree-handers or for some complications? Which one? Case/bracelet material? (Stainless steel vs gold vs...) what kind if case diameter do you like? (I believe the roadster is big guy, around 43mm?)

hobart

Great questions.

I think 42mm is the biggest I would like to go.

I would prefer steel as to keep the cost of the piece down.

I prefer new over pre-owned... but I am not against a pre-owned piece.

I guess it depends on the vintage... but I was envisioning something contemporary.

I am fine with complications... no feeling either way.

I tend to sway away from the typical diver/dress divers. I've seen myself gravitate more towards a pilot watch recently. I don't like rubber bracelets/straps.

Generally speaking - even in casual selections - my tastes lean towards a dressier watch.

Hope this helps!

pwack

Great questions.

I guess it depends on the vintage... but I was envisioning something contemporary.

I tend to sway away from the typical diver/dress divers. I've seen myself gravitate more towards a pilot watch recently. I don't like rubber bracelets/straps.

Generally speaking - even in casual selections - my tastes lean towards a dressier watch.

Hope this helps!

Thoughts about Bremont? Mixed dressy/sport aviation-inspired watches. I've not really researched how well they hold their price, but my recollection is pretty OK.

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/brands/bremont

Great questions.

Hope this helps!

Yes it does. I'll keep it under 42mm, in steel, dressy but still a versatile, vintage or modern. I would advise against buying new in this price range as the only brand that really does keep value under $8k is Rolex, and given your datejust and your dislike of divers, I would rule it out :) (so I'll concentrate on vintage and pre-owned)

You want to commemorate a wedding, something (usually) romantic, so I propose to have a sway at the most romantic complication of all, the moonphase :)

Vintage - Universal Geneve Tri-Compax Moonphase

In terms of investment in a timepiece, nothing beats the tri compax. Doubled in price in the last 5 years, and very likely to continue. With the day, date, month, moonphase, and a chronograph, it packs everything you want in a vintage piece and it looks lovely, and still modern today. You can find some models around 37-38mm which would gravitate around $5-6k. A personal favorite. In 5 years it will be worth around $10k, you can quote me on this :)

Dressy version -

Sporty version -

Recent - JLC Reverso moonphase pre-owned

The king of dressy, packing the king of movement, in the king of square case. What's better than an absolute classic for a wedding?
Fun fact, the Reverso is the oldest model that is still sold today. 85 years that JLC has been selling this exact model. The favorite watch of the 30s, still worn by Jay-Z today, the very definition of timeless :)

(this includes an annual calendar - you only need to reset it once a year in february - and is a bit over budget new at Jomashop ($10k), but I am sure you can find one pre-owned under $8k)

and the other side

Recent - Master Ultra Thin Moonphase

You don't like square watches? This is the next best thing then :) 39mm of perfection :)

Vintage - Breitling Full Calendar Chrono Moonphase

Just because everyone is shitting on Brietling in this thread for pages now - and that makes me sad cause the brand used to be absolutely fantastic, one of my favorite for the 60s/70s, follow @watchfred on instagram and tell me you still hate them /rant - I want to propose this marvelous piece.

Finally a nice vintage Heuer triple date chrono moonphase could also be fantastic, and remains under your price cap.

Enjoy the hunt! It's half of the fun :)

sgjackson

Probably gonna pick up a beater dive watch in the next month or so. I'm leaning towards an Orient Ray over an SKX007 because I like the more subdued bezel and oyster bracelet. If anyone's had either/both and has a strong opinion one way or the other I'd love to hear it.

Cruceh

Banned
Probably gonna pick up a beater dive watch in the next month or so. I'm leaning towards an Orient Ray over an SKX007 because I like the more subdued bezel and oyster bracelet. If anyone's had either/both and has a strong opinion one way or the other I'd love to hear it.

Just get the Seiko because of it's ability to be modified. I just bought this for $200 from wus as a beater to my Planet Ocean. Comes modded with a sapphire crystal and new dial, hands and bezel insert. I don't like the chapter ring, but whatever.
oT5d97P.jpg

Enron

Banned

I have an Orient Mako XL. I am really impressed with Orient. Fit and finish seems better than the skx007-level seiko divers. Would definitely recommend over the skx series (I used to have an skx031)

pwack

I caved and preordered a new 216,000 "hi-beat" moonphase chronograph world time watch from Cupertino last night. Anyone else?

Recently I've felt less and less drawn to high end watches. I've been rocking my g-shock for the better part of two weeks.

Glasshole

Banned
I caved and preordered a new 216,000 "hi-beat" moonphase chronograph world time watch from Cupertino last night. Anyone else?

Recently I've felt less and less drawn to high end watches. I've been rocking my g-shock for the better part of two weeks.

I personally wont, since it's recharge cycle is a huge dealbreaker anyway. But if I had completely embarrassed myself in the other thread, I'd probably drop the horlogerie hobby too.

Just kidding. We're all having fun.

Glasshole

Banned
I don't know if this is a good idea. Especially in this topic.

I personally don't mind, and it's their right to block whoever they want, so I'd propose we carry on with the discussion?

I'm looking to buy this one this year:

L2.747.4.72.2.jpg

Longines Heritage 1954.

I love the simplicity of its design, I'm just a bit sad the Longines logo isn't top center and a bit more prominent.

Also, I will punch myself in the face when I inevitably forget to take it off before taking a shower.

nitewulf

is there a perpetual calendar, that looks good, around the $10,000 mark? if not an annual calendar could do, as long as it has a great look.

vpance

I'm looking to buy this one this year:

http://www.longines.com/images/watch-zoom/4482/8Rat2w/L2.747.4.72.2.jpg[/IMG

Longines Heritage 1954.

I love the simplicity of its design, I'm just a bit sad the Longines logo isn't top center and a bit more prominent.

Also, I will punch myself in the face when I inevitably forget to take it off before taking a shower.[/QUOTE]

I ended up going with this watch as a starter to my "real" collection. It's got a nice sunburst dial, and the hands turn from a dark to bright shade of blue at certain angles to the light. Very cool :) I also liked the fact it could pass as dressy or casual. If it was 1 or 2mm bigger it'd be perfect. I swapped the strap to a black leather one with white stitching.

Thinking about the next watch now though, something more sporty. So far it's either the black dial Tudor Heritage Chrono or orange/grey Speedmaster MkII 2014.

I can't tell you, either. :)

I've been in this thread for roughly 3 years now. There is never any drama. NEVER.

And eventually, when it happens, I am not even here to see.

*sigh*

For the annual calendar, Zenith is a great option, but JLC also does fantastic stuff like the Master Calendar Moonphase (can be had for $6k new on the gray market).

(edit: actually I am not sure it's an annual, and I doubt it given the date hand, it may just be a simple 'triple date'... Arf.)

I've been reading about Tourbillon complications today. Can't say I understand it all! But damn some of those Jaeger Tourbillon watches look amazing.

I've been reading about Tourbillon complications today. Can't say I understand it all! But damn some of those Jaeger Tourbillon watches look amazing.

It's a complication quite easy to understand actually:

Men used to wear pocket watches, which were sitting in their pockets most of the time. So the case was usually 'vertical' (compared to the ground I mean). Because of this vertical position and because of the earth gravity, all watches were running 'too slow', then 'too quick' - basically the main spring and second hand was 50% of the time going 'up' (so fighting against gravity, hence a bit slower) and 50% of the time going 'down' (so moving with the movement force AND gravity, hence a bit too fast).

Because of this situation, watchmakers proposed to have a full gear/spring (usually with a pointer acting as a second hand) turning around to 'balance' gravity at all time. This specific complication became the 'tourbillon' ('means whirlpool in French).

Today, it's really one of those 'romantic' things (we all wear wristwatches, horyzontal compared to the ground most of the time, so no need to balance gravity at all), and is also appealing to people who love 'open heart'/visible movement on the dial/'skeltonized watches, etc.

Until recently it was a $30k price point minimum to have one (hence its appeal and 'legendary' status), today you can get a Chinese tourbillon based watch for under $500.

When I first fell in love with a watch (maybe 10 years ago or so) it was with the IWC Portuguese Tourbillon Mystere, I was instantly mesmerized by the moving tourbillon and the overall class.
(fun fact, today I can't stand those watches showing the movement through the dial, with or without a tourbillon, I am probably just old now :D).

pwack

I've been in this thread for roughly 3 years now . . .

)

You made me check. I have also been posting in this thread for almost three years (since July 2012). Man, time flies.

Another week, and still feeling comparatively “down” on watches. I’ve been wearing my G-Shock 5600 24/7, and it has actually been really nice to (1) not have to consider what watch to wear, and (2) have a virtually indestructible watch on my wrist. Meanwhile, my watches sit on the shelf, staring longily at my wrist. I work in a new office that is full od Rolexes, Omegas, Nomos, IWC, and Chronoswiss (and there are only 12 of us!), and still not feeling the lure at the moment to strap on one of my nice pieces.

Was at the Apple store yesterday and tried on some of the watches. They are nice enough from a build perspective. Reviews had hyped up build quality. They were certainly solid, but not blow-your-sock-off amazing. I’ve got a aluminium one on order. May still sell it, as they are going for well above cost on ebay, or keep it and see what I think.

pwack

Not sure if serious. Why would you put a plastic case that would maybe survive 100ft depth on a watch rated at 300m?

Some folks in the Apple Watch thread were showing off cases to wear over a watch. ]

Crazy enough, I have seen people put protective films over their timepieces.

Forsete

Not sure if serious. Why would you put a plastic case that would maybe survive 100ft depth on a watch rated at 300m?

Not serious, sorry. :p

Some folks in the Apple Watch thread were showing off cases to wear over a watch. ]

Crazy enough, I have seen people put protective films over their timepieces.

Over the glass? :/
Of the watches I have, only two have scratched glass, and that was due to serious abuse on my part.
The stainless steel parts OTOH will scratch. The titanium clasp on my MM300 is scratched. I have tried removing them with scotchbrite and it works, but you stop worrying after a while.

Glasshole

Banned
@nitewulf - If you can up your budget just a little bit
alot
, there is this one of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxhlXqbuy5g

Holy sweet mother of god. Beyond impressive. The only downside is that, if I understand this correctly, you have to take the watch off and turn it around to see it? Such a shame. But still, chapeau.

I ended up going with this watch as a starter to my "real" collection. It's got a nice sunburst dial, and the hands turn from a dark to bright shade of blue at certain angles to the light. Very cool :) I also liked the fact it could pass as dressy or casual. If it was 1 or 2mm bigger it'd be perfect. I swapped the strap to a black leather one with white stitching.

Thinking about the next watch now though, something more sporty. So far it's either the black dial Tudor Heritage Chrono or orange/grey Speedmaster MkII 2014.

Thanks a lot for the helpful inside! If I were to be a bit more patient, I could skip this "starter" watch for a Rolex, but let me quote some german footballer: "Once you've bought an Audi R8 at a fairly young age, you won't upgrade to a VW Golf GTI later on" Maybe this is a bad translation, but the man hit home for me: I'm fairly young, and many milestones ahead of me, and I still want the watches to wow me when I'm older. So I think I'll take this Longines and continue from there. Omega for the doctor thesis, Rolex for the wedding. All wishful thinking of course.

So Vpance, I think I'd go with the speedmaster for the sporty touch.

nitewulf

@nitewulf - If you can up your budget just a little bit
alot
, there is this one of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxhlXqbuy5g

ALS is my grail watch, but it will be a "regular" Lange 1, I rather love that offset dial look.

Galacticsushiman, actually JLC has some great looking Perpetual Calendars...I know Glashutte Original has one around that range, I was just wondering if there are others I should be looking into. I wanna shop around, take my time with my decision. I just love perpetual calendars, for me they are the ultimate, "useful" expression.

vpance

Thanks a lot for the helpful inside! If I were to be a bit more patient, I could skip this "starter" watch for a Rolex, but let me quote some german footballer: "Once you've bought an Audi R8 at a fairly young age, you won't upgrade to a VW Golf GTI later on" Maybe this is a bad translation, but the man hit home for me: I'm fairly young, and many milestones ahead of me, and I still want the watches to wow me when I'm older. So I think I'll take this Longines and continue from there. Omega for the doctor thesis, Rolex for the wedding. All wishful thinking of course.

So Vpance, I think I'd go with the speedmaster for the sporty touch.

That was exactly my thinking too. I really wanted to get something last year but didn't want to jump into the deep end right away. Didn't feel right, as I was still basically a watch noob then. And agreed on the esclation of wow factor and marking special milestones.

I'm leaning towards the Speedmaster but I'll have to see if the thickness bothers me at all.

Has it been three years since this thread was moved to community? I could be wrong, but I think I'm responsible for that. We had a thread, but I remember I started to post a lot about which watch I wanted.

ALS is my grail watch, but it will be a "regular" Lange 1, I rather love that offset dial look.

Galacticsushiman, actually JLC has some great looking Perpetual Calendars...I know Glashutte Original has one around that range, I was just wondering if there are others I should be looking into. I wanna shop around, take my time with my decision. I just love perpetual calendars, for me they are the ultimate, "useful" expression.

JLC, Zenith and Glashutte are definitely the 3 brands you should look at. I would not add others in this range and with this kind of complications.

I was referencing this specific JLC as it's well within your price range, they have perp calendar that are fantastic indeed, but more expensive too :D

NEO0MJ

Yay, I finally got a new watch!

17003344830_bdbfa767c0_o.jpg

It's funny, I've been trying to find a nice looking watch for months and in the end I just went back to one of my first considerations. Something about its design just speaks to me.
I'd post pictures of me wearing it but I'm too shy.
latest

Top Bottom