• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Cruceh

Banned
My beater came today! Not bad for $200. The seiko nylon strap is unexpectedly great.

d9h5XNl.jpg

My hirsch medici strap also came today. Looks great with the Omega tang buckle. I just wish the curved ends were a bit better, but that's what the premium on Omega straps are for, I guess.

dO3jbjC.jpg

Yay, I finally got a new watch!

17003344830_bdbfa767c0_o.jpg

It's funny, I've been trying to find a nice looking watch for months and in the end I just went back to one of my first considerations. Something about its design just speaks to me.
I'd post pictures of me wearing it but I'm too shy.
latest

If GalacticSushiman has the nerve to post his hairy ass wrist in this topic, there is no reason for you not to.;)

Pbae

Someone came up to me today and asked to see my watch.

When I showed him he looked disappointed and said, "Sorry, I thought you had an Apple watch but it's just a knockoff"

I told him that some of us can't afford to pony up $350 for the real deal...

I was wearing my JLC Squadra on silicone =[...

When I showed him he looked disappointed and said, "Sorry, I thought you had an Apple watch but it's just a knockoff"

That's what you get for buying a watch not made in consultation with Horology Experts.

An Apple Watch story without an Apple watch is already a cool achievement, but the fact it was a squadra and your response make it simply perfect. Bravo sir.

I don't think it will get many people here exited. But I guess it won't have any detractors either. It being a quartz watch means that it will be excellent at keeping time. Stylistically, it has the Bauhaus design so that's also a plus.

But for that price a similar and mechanical watch like the Rodina can be had. And that would be my personal choice.

Upon further investigation: It seems to be an honest brand and prides itself on price transparency. They also are willing to mingle with WUS members so no bullshitting it seems. It seems it's a good choice but it doesn't really stand out.

Guys I need help. The little piece where I adjust the time for the watch fell off and I'm not sure if I can find the piece for it. How do I fix it? It's an orient bambino.

Edit: it's the crown! First time watch owner and just noticed it was missing

mm04

Guys I need help. The little piece where I adjust the time for the watch fell off and I'm not sure if I can find the piece for it. How do I fix it? It's an orient bambino.

Edit: it's the crown! First time watch owner and just noticed it was missing

I lost the crown on a watch that was over 15+ years old. I found it in a box I had left at my parents house ages ago. I emailed Total Watch Repair and they said they could replace the crown, stem and battery. Polish it up, pressure test it (it's a diver) etc. Cost me $120. Obviously, the watch was worth more to me than that so I did it. But I doubt it would cost that much for a modern watch. Anyway, doesn't hurt to email them and get a quote. Or just call a local watch shop and ask them how much they charge.

Enron

Banned
Trying to chase down a Seiko SARB015 and a ver.1 Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military, both of which are OOP, is driving me nuts.

Superflat

Haven't worn a watch in over 6 years but decided it was time again. More often than ever nowadays I need to check the time, so it would be significantly less cumbersome than taking my phone out all the time.

Went looking around and fell in love with this simple little thing (FormFunctionForm band + Weekender):

Completely in love with the leather strap and how it looks on my wrist. No metal clasps, leather strips or row of holes visible on the band when you wear it, just a nickel "button". It was apparently a big fashion item a few years ago but damn I just love the way it looks: the leather band, cream white watch face, clean numbers and the red second hand accent. In love with the burgundy leather strap and how it weathers. A great casual watch and can reportedly take a pretty good beating.

I'm still on the lookout for a dressy watch for suits/formal wear and such. Thinking 40-42mm with a black leather band and a minimally designed watch face. Something like a DW Sheffield, but I haven't looked much further.

Quick

Banned
Can anyone vouch for Stuhrling Original watches? There's a deep discount on Amazon for them, and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

Can anyone vouch for Stuhrling Original watches? There's a deep discount on Amazon for them, and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

Not worth it. They're what is known as a mushroom brand. They have higher than normal msrp to make the watch seem more expensive than it is and to make discount seem like a better deal than it actually is. You can check out the Reddit watch thread for more info:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/ompbq/brand_guide_mushroom_brand_spectacular_invicta/

Quick

Banned
Not worth it. They're what is known as a mushroom brand. They have higher than normal msrp to make the watch seem more expensive than it is and to make discount seem like a better deal than it actually is. You can check out the Reddit watch thread for more info:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/ompbq/brand_guide_mushroom_brand_spectacular_invicta/

I figured it might be too enticing for what it really is. I hear the same thing about Daniel Wellington watches, too.

I picked up a Citizen watch and I was looking for another watch to alternate with.

dubc35

What are some recommendations for an analog watch <$50?

I&#8217;m a pretty simple person so not looking for anything flashy (edit or large, my last watch was ~37mm face and I would like something close to that). I have been looking into the Timex Weekender as I like the simple look (and price). The only thing &#8216;missing&#8217; would be if it had the date on the face as well. The Timex Expedition has the date but it is not as good looking as the Weekender, in my opinion. (I&#8217;m not set on Timex btw.) Anyway, looking forward to any other options I should consider! Thanks!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What are some recommendations for an analog watch <$50?

I&#8217;m a pretty simple person so not looking for anything flashy (edit or large, my last watch was ~37mm face and I would like something close to that). I have been looking into the Timex Weekender as I like the simple look (and price). The only thing &#8216;missing&#8217; would be if it had the date on the face as well. The Timex Expedition has the date but it is not as good looking as the Weekender, in my opinion. (I&#8217;m not set on Timex btw.) Anyway, looking forward to any other options I should consider! Thanks!

The humble, but respectable Seiko 5 sounds like exactly what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=seiko+5

They're just above $50, 37mm, few different colors, have similar look to Weekender and have Day and Date windows and are automatics (mechanical), which means no battery, powered by your wrist movement. And it's nice to think about the all the little pieces and gears inside the watch ticking away.
They also have some luminosity to them unlike the Timex.

GAF, A OR B?

A) a watch in white and orange
B) the same watch in black and red

Does it really surprise you if I say it's just a matter of taste at this point? :D

That said I am with Pwack, I love Heuer vintage Carreras from the 70s, hell I even have one, but those new stuff with a Seiko based movement inside and the crowded dial are really not my cup of tea :)

In the same genre, sporty chrono linked to fast cars :D, but less expensive I believe, I would go for this (Oris Williams F1):

2271_679_7614_41_64_rs.png

Pbae

GAF, A OR B?

A)
thcar2a12ft6033_7.jpg

B)
thcar2a80fc6237_14.jpg

I have no love for modern Tag's unless they're being used as actual knuckledusters by Leonardo DiCaprio.

Have you looked at the Tudor Fast Rider?

Tudor-Ducati-Fastrider-3.jpg

They also have one in partnership with Ducati called the Black Shield that I think looks very nice and has a stealth black ceramic case.

Tudor-Fastrider-Black-Shield-bronze-thumb-960xauto-18303.jpg

pwack

Turns out I really love this guy. Excuse the blurry pic

Turns out I fell out of love with that guy. Just sold it on the Bay.

Bought two Apple Watches; the first for $399, which I immediately sold for $1050 without even opening it. The pictured replacement for $549, which I just sold for $525.

So, a month later, I am net 0 watches, + $625 in the wallet. Time to repurpose that profit to a new real watch.

Have been wearing my Seiko Discus all week. It starts a surprising amount of conversations. Was at a conference and this guy started ranting that everyone he knows dismisses Seikos, and Grand Seikos especially.

Turns out I fell out of love with that guy. Just sold it on the Bay.

Bought two Apple Watches; the first for $399, which I immediately sold for $1050 without even opening it. The pictured replacement for $549, which I just sold for $525.

So, a month later, I am net 0 watches, + $625 in the wallet. Time to repurpose that profit to a new real watch.

How about a Grand Seiko.

pwack

Have been wearing my Seiko Discus all week. It starts a surprising amount of conversations. Was at a conference and this guy started ranting that everyone he knows dismisses Seikos, and Grand Seikos especially.

How about a Grand Seiko.

For the moment, I am trying to keep the purchases in the 3-digit range. That said, I do love Seikos. I've owned a MarineMaster, Sumo, Stargate, 009, SARB033 (x2), Orange Monster (x2), Seiko 5 Pilot, a SARX, a SARY enamel dial, a quartz JDM field watch, a limited edition Brightz Chrono, a 1978 Week Dater, and one woman's watch for my wife. No Grand Seiko yet, but the MarineMaster is close, as was the Brightz Chrono.

Thinking I may do one of these next:

img_1651bea5bjc.jpg

Pbae

Tudor and Rolex are almost the same right? in terms of quality?

Kind of?

Typically, Tudors used the same case design and fabrications as Rolex but the main differentiating thing between the two was the type of movement that ran the watch with Tudor opting for ETA movements with some added refinements.

It's harder to say now since Tudor has taken steps to stylistically move further away from the conservative look of Rolex's.

They're also moving towards the use of in-house movements which helps bolster their image as well as horological credentials.

I consider Tudor its own thing now and love their new approach. I don't think of them as a Rolex Jr. or a watch for a person that couldn't afford a Rollie. They're just fantastic watches.

pwack

Was it the battery? Because it was the battery for me =[

I just got so freaking sick of charging another device at night...

The main use I was getting out of my Apple Watch that isn't provided by any of my other watches was at-a-glance-temperature. Everything else -- fitness tracking, Apple Pay, apps, etc -- I used extremely infrequently. It is a fine looking watch if that is your style, but I like my real watches more. Plus there were the hassles of battery usage, limited WR, expense straps, etc.

Ordered this Helgray Silverstone, thoughts?

First watch ever, actually.

Looks good; decent price. Personally not a fan of 24-hour subdials (since I generally know if it is 10am or 10pm by instinct), but otherwise no critiques. Like the style a lot.

Top Bottom