• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Station |OT| Bringing the 100 Mega Suck to PSN and PSP (Now with shit netcode)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
bernardobri said:
So, M2 is a TOSE-a-like company that focuses on emulation of older games for current platforms?

Well, the difference is that unlike TOSE, they're not completely incompetent and deserving of a trip to the gaming gallows.

krakov said:
Metal Slug is quite an easy game so finishing it with 4 credits shouldn't be a problem. Magician Lord on the other hand, I'm guessing the save system works as it does on an AES with memory card?

It should, but it's just save states.

So I really wanted to see it for myself and bought Metal Slug some minutes ago. The emulation itself is really good imo, but when I tried to play online co-op with a friend of mine who lives practically around the corner, I couldn't believe my eyes. I think I had barely 3fps and we are both on 16Mbit broadband DSL connections. It is really the worst online experience I ever had. This isn't even worth to be called flip-book. Seriously, SNK has to fix this asap, since online play was a HUGE selling point for me. Please, I want to give you my money, just fuckin' fix it ;(.

jlevel13

Thanks for the impressions folks & saving me some $$$ (I already have the games I'm interested in via various collections or other services and would have bought some only if online had proved to actually be good). Maybe by the time they release Garou online will have some improvements (though I have my doubts - already burned once via xbla).

duckroll

Okay, so where's Dave Long now? Maybe he should make another 1000 word post lecturing me on why this is an awesome deal even though they're charging more, and how it's amazing that SNK is doing this, and how I should either suck it up and pay their ripoff prices or stop complaining in this thread?

I AM VINDICATED. ONLINE, THE ONLY FEATURE WHICH EXPLAINS WHY PS3/PSP IS SEPARATE AND EACH VERSION COSTING MORE, IS FUCKING BROKEN. FUCK THIS PIECE OF CRAP! :lol

Aru

duckroll said:
Okay, so where's Dave Long now? Maybe he should make another 1000 word post lecturing me on why this is an awesome deal even though they're charging more, and how it's amazing that SNK is doing this, and how I should either suck it up and pay their ripoff prices or stop complaining in this thread?

I AM VINDICATED. ONLINE, THE ONLY FEATURE WHICH EXPLAINS WHY PS3/PSP IS SEPARATE AND EACH VERSION COSTING MORE, IS FUCKING BROKEN. FUCK THIS PIECE OF CRAP! :lol

Time to buy the PSP version and use it with adhoc party :p

photo-125.jpg

... I'll probably buy a few anyway ;)

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm really glad that SNK got M2 to do these ports. I pretty much avoid every arcade port/emulation release on the download services because of shoddy emulation and (lack of) visual options, but them being done by M2 definitely makes them worth $10. Definitely the best ports the games can get.

Shame about the netcode but hey I can still buy Metal Slug. Hopefully Metal Slug 3 is coming soon too.

duckroll

Aru said:
Time to buy the PSP version and use it with adhoc party :p

I think that might actually work better. Someone go try it and see if it's true!

Yes Boss! said:
Time to exit this thread, duckroll is making it his again. Have fun guys...enjoy the games if they work for you.

You want to be a dick about it? Say it to my face. Don't be a coward.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Augemitbutter said:
i think metal slug is more interesting without credit feeding, like others in the same genre. if they don't set some limits, newcomers will never learn to play these games properly. it worked for contra and other home releases too.
why do you care about someone playing it "properly" or not?

got super sidekicks. the price of the games here is equivalent to 11 dollars though, which is pretty stupid. I won't get anything else from this batch. will definitely get garou whenever that shows up. but uh probably not much else if anything.

buffi

Banned
I have Metal Slug on MVS and an arcade cabinet.

I will still buy it on PS3 though for pure convenience. Being able to play an arcade perfect port in the sofa sometimes is awesome.

jooey said:
why do you care about someone playing it "properly" or not?

Because then they will experience the game as designed and get more out of it.

Problem is that without credit feeding they may not get that far (at first) and may be put of continuing and or buying similar games.

I'm so torn on this thing. Everything aside from the online is aces. I'm thinking that maybe unlike the XBLA crap they dump and forget immediately this service might have some fixes if they plan to continue to release games down the line. I shouldn't get my hopes up though.:lol

Dizzy

Banned
I just had a few matches of Samurai Showdown (free via psn+) and it seemed ok. A little slow at times maybe but generally ok.

tubgirlsplumber said:
Because then they will experience the game as designed and get more out of it.

Problem is that without credit feeding they may not get that far (at first) and may be put of continuing and or buying similar games.

true, but i think arcade games suffer more form the "too short" syndrome, or that's the opinion of the average click and buyer. unlimited credits is the equivalent of god mode. there is no incentive to play without a solid difficulty curve.

Augemitbutter said:
true, but i think arcade games suffer more form the "too short" syndrome, or that's the opinion of the average click and buyer. unlimited credits is the equivalent of god mode. there is no incentive to play without a solid difficulty curve.
Yep.

I like the curve.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Okay, I had some more time to put into Metal Slug on PSN, and honestly... yeah, the game looks better than it does on a Neo Geo or on an emulator. It's seriously like the difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray... better colors, looks cleaner, etc. Honestly, it's enough for me to go ahead and consider this an improvement on the original neo carts... despite that one odd visual glitch in Metal Slug, the PSN game does feel like it's better overall. So I'm pretty shocked.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Looks like you guys like M2 first time ive heard about them, the emulation and the presentation is fine.
Netcode not so much.

Yes Boss! said:
Time to exit this thread, duckroll is making it his again. Have fun guys...enjoy the games if they work for you.
He hasnt said anything bad yet.
If he trolls ill spank him ok? Come back dood.

* NEOGEO fans group hug *

buffi

Banned
Ok, went ahead and bought metal slug. Port is 100% arcade perfect except for some minor sprite glitches (fuel power up looks glitchy when cannoning a barrel in lvl1 and so on). The lvl5 tank scoring bug works, just like all other minor things.

Got a 1 life clear with the recue bonus on all levels on my first attempt (MVS difficulty), but I've played this game a ton on MVS and in MAME before. :)

q0o78.jpg

(Not using lvl5 scoring glitch)

Not my best score, but I should know wether this is a good emulation or not ;)

woodypop

Dizzy said:
Want to bite but I think I already own that neogeo collection on the PSP, PS2 and Wii :-/
Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with the PS2 NeoGeo Collection on disc. Especially considering NEOGEO Station's poor netcode.

So disappointed though. =(

tzare

well, purchased 5 games but still not had time to play. I'll test netcode tonight but some friends of mine have told me that they played samsho flawlessly yesterday so i still have some hope.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Chacranajxy said:
Okay, I had some more time to put into Metal Slug on PSN, and honestly... yeah, the game looks better than it does on a Neo Geo or on an emulator. It's seriously like the difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray... better colors, looks cleaner, etc. Honestly, it's enough for me to go ahead and consider this an improvement on the original neo carts... despite that one odd visual glitch in Metal Slug, the PSN game does feel like it's better overall. So I'm pretty shocked.
Well, I'm in.

Online is mostly superfluous to me anyway but it seems it would work fine with my friend as we have good connections.

duckroll

Fersis said:
Looks like you guys like M2 first time ive heard about them, the emulation and the presentation is fine.
Netcode not so much.

M2 is great. They're responsible for many of the Sega Ages collections I own on PS2, and I really love the effort and options they put into the emulation/ports. Of course Sega was also very generous with those, and included a lot of bonus stuff for M2 to package in the games, like galleries, superplays, and all versions of each game (JP/US/EU, various different console versions like Genny, Master System, Game Gear, etc).

Monster World Complete Collection is soooo good. <3

Chacranajxy said:
One issue I did have, though, is that this is the AES version of the game, and it seems to limit you to 4 credits. I didn't see an option to switch to MVS mode, or an option to get more credits. And if that's the case... that's fucking stupid. Now, I'm a real man and I play my arcade games on one credit, but it's downright retarded if they don't at least give you a freeplay option of some sort. Maybe I just missed it in the menus or maybe it's unlockable or something, but if it's not there, that is a problem.
I was really excited about NEO GEO Station until I read this. The games in the various collections had free play. I'm not spending $7-$9 on 4 credits, fuck that.

mistuhcahlos said:
I was really excited about NEO GEO Station until I read this. The games in the various collections had free play. I'm not spending $7-$9 on 4 credits, fuck that.

Think about people buying games for the AES back in the day. I don't think anyone had a problem with it.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Yeah, this is a beautiful package. 17 years after claiming most of my student loan at university, Samurai Shodown is still magical. I cannot wait for SS2 and (especially) SS3.

Blind bought Metal Slug without reading the last few pages of this thread. My quick impressions:

+ Front-end is fantastic. Great options, great music, great enthusiam, A+ package, I love it! :D

+ Emulation seems perfect to me

+++ It's Metal Slug there for it's timeless

- It's kinda hard to justify the price for PSP when you can now buy the Anthology for $20 bucks. It loads off your memstick, so loadtimes aren't an issue either.

- Netcode is definitely the most upsetting thing. It's fucking disgustingly bad.

- No MVS mode which kinda hurts if my boy want's to play

So yeah, last time I blindbuy outta faith like that again. I'll wait and see how this store pans out in the future.
As I said though, I love the UI...

seeds19

Banned
Today i played a little bit the games i tested are:
Samurai spirits.
AoF.
KoF 94.
Metal Slug.
ASO.

M2 made a great job... no. A great fucking epic awesome job, the online works fine for me, i played with a friend whitout problems, i think the netcode problems are related to playing with a friend in another country, im spanish, and playing with spanish players the netcode works fine, and everybody knows the spanish internet conection is shit:lol

seeds19 said:
Samurai spirits.
AoF.
KoF 94.
Metal Slug.
ASO.

M2 made a great job... no. A great fucking epic awesome job, the online works fine for me, i played with a friend whitout problems, i think the netcode problems are related to playing with a friend in another country, im spanish, and playing with spanish players the netcode works fine, and everybody knows the spanish internet conection is shit:lol

Of couse it works in spanish territories =P

Yeah, I'm in germany and it's a fucking wasteland.

tzare

seeds19 said:
Samurai spirits.
AoF.
KoF 94.
Metal Slug.
ASO.

i agree. From spain too. Tonite been playig some samsho with a friend who is about 1200km away and it was just perfect.Only two random disconnections and that was all. The rest was flawless.
Sure, netcode ain't perfect, but being able to play within my country is a big improvement after KOF XII :D
I'd love to play against center european people to check how it works.
And i'm going to crush you Seeds :D

Curious for those who bought it. Do the games have AST available?

And I see people complaining about the 4 Credits (which I'm not that fond of either) but, didn't they say they were going to add Save States?

tzare

no AST, just regular OST, but for each game, you can make custom soundtracks with the OSTs of each NGstation game you own. It is awesome to play KOF with earthquakes's and galford's stages music :D

I think it would be nice if SNK put their AST on sale on PSN or even itunes.

DasRaven

Choppasmith said:
And I see people complaining about the 4 Credits (which I'm not that fond of either) but, didn't they say they were going to add Save States?

There are save states. I'm currently working on a "perfect run" set in SamSho just before the final strike on Amakusa with each character.
It's going to take a while, but has been epic fun with the quality of these emus.

tzare

oh, btw, there is no problem playing online and the 4 credits issue. Yo can keep challenging the other player as it was free play or unlimited credits, only it does still display the credits you had left while playing SP mode.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thanks for the thread title... duckroll i guess?
Go back to your room, youre grounded.

T_T

DasRaven

Well, today I've had no less than a dozen completely reasonable games in SamSho.
I restricted my match search to 4 & 5 bar ping and all is well. Netcode redeemed IMO.

Enk

makes good threads.
shagg_187 said:
No one playing Art of Fighting :/

I've been wanting to pick it up since I never got to play it in the arcades. Might do so later tonight. I'll add you to my friends list if I do.

Shinriji

KOF94 and AOF is as good as it was in the early 90's. Emulation is top notch. Too bad about the netcode (but since my lagfest bouts with Fersis, playing with same country fellows are almost lag-free) and now the lobbies are a wasteland. So, they will really nickel and dime us for buying the arrange soundtrack (there is a arrange soundtrack option in the sound test mode, but not avaliable right now).

And the opening of the neogeo station is awesome, but it really will made me buy all the games (for unlocking all the pictures). :lol

About AOF, is a pity that when you play online, Mr. Karate and Mr. Big are selectable, but they are hidden when playing local vs.

Now I'm gonna wait for KOF 96 and Real Bout Fatal Fury.

Top Bottom