• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Station |OT| Bringing the 100 Mega Suck to PSN and PSP (Now with shit netcode)

duckroll

So from what I'm hearing, netcode for Samurai Showdown at least seems to be pretty okay? Not great but not broken. But netcode for Metal Slug is totally broken? Is there any reason why they would be different considering it's the same emulation code? Anyone have any idea? At least if the netcode is working for fighters it's hopeful news for Garou... I hope!

Shinriji

My personal experience is that playing different games with the same people online (in my case, KOF 94 and AOF) the experience is the same lag-wise. My friend that bought Metal Slug and KOF 94 says the same thing.

Just stick with playing people next to you and it's OK.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Shinriji said:
KOF94 and AOF is as good as it was in the early 90's. Emulation is top notch. Too bad about the netcode (but since my lagfest bouts with Fersis, playing with same country fellows are almost lag-free) and now the lobbies are a wasteland. So, they will really nickel and dime us for buying the arrange soundtrack (there is a arrange soundtrack option in the sound test mode, but not avaliable right now).

And the opening of the neogeo station is awesome, but it really will made me buy all the games (for unlocking all the pictures). :lol

About AOF, is a pity that when you play online, Mr. Karate and Mr. Big are selectable, but they are hidden when playing local vs.

Now I'm gonna wait for KOF 96 and Real Bout Fatal Fury.
Really? Thats pretty neat.
This was my face when we tried the netcode :
@__@
O__O
-__-

I cant find any matches to try the netcode again.
;__;

So I've bought like 5 of these things and I'm loving them. I even got Baseball Stars. I don't even like baseball but I remember playing it on Nintendo with my friend forever ago so I went ahead and tried it. I was iffy on the price but it seems like I log on every day and buy another one. King of Fighters is the only one I've tried to go online with but couldn't get any matches and I don't have any friends that live close to me that want to get one that I can try with. Besides that so far these are pretty awesome and I hope they keep doing them.

Dave Long

Banned
Been enjoying the holidays so this was the first time I got back to this thread. Great to hear that the emulation is excellent. I will check something out this week.

duckroll, the prices are still perfectly reasonable. These are games that cost $40 at a minimum if you want to play them in their original form on cart. Being able to do that for $9 on a PS3 with near-perfect emulation is definitely worthwhile. Sorry that your life depends on online play. Mine does not.

Leatherface

Sounds like this is turning out to be a pretty half-assed/over-priced launch. Good thing I have GAF to turn to before purchasing. I think I'll pass on this for now. Do it right or don't do it at all!

STEAM has spoiled me. A $9 game better be fucking fantastic if I'm gonna buy it. lol

Tain

Dave Long said:
Been enjoying the holidays so this was the first time I got back to this thread. Great to hear that the emulation is excellent. I will check something out this week.

duckroll, the prices are still perfectly reasonable. These are games that cost $40 at a minimum if you want to play them in their original form on cart. Being able to do that for $9 on a PS3 with near-perfect emulation is definitely worthwhile. Sorry that your life depends on online play. Mine does not.

Yeah. I mean, I think that they're above what I would expect from download services, sure, but I can't really get upset about it given that some of these are amongst the best games ever and the emulation itself is great.

Dave Long

Banned
Gloomfire said:
So, is Baseball Stars Pro worth my $9?
My personal recommendation is to wait for Baseball Stars 2 as that's the pinnacle of videogame baseball, period.

BAY-BAY-BASEBALL!

ONE OUT!

BASEBALL STARS TWOOOOOOOO!

FoxSpirit

Yeah, $9 for games that are THAT old? With shitty netcode?
Such a shame, really. $5 would have been plenty, and that's with decent code. Guess there's no end to milking your former glory, eh SNK?

So even Baseball Stars Professional has online play? I'm almost tempted to buy it out of curiosity, but $9, meh...

Baseball Stars 2 and especially NEO TURF MASTERS would be instabuys for me if they're in a later batch of releases.

DoubleTap

I'm in the camp that the netcode doesn't bother me a bit. It's just icing on the cake as the original games didn't have online play whatsoever. But I think $9 per game is a bit much. I've already bought some of these on Wii VC, and triple dipped on the compilations on PSP, PS2 and Wii. Not to mention the KOF and Samurai Shodown compilations on Both Wii and PS2.

I'll wait until the newer games come out on PSN.

Slug plays fine for me, not sure what's occurring for you there?

I note that the yellow blood turns to red when you use your JPN profile.

1 question, I can't seem to find KOF '94 for the PS3 (not PSP) on the UK store - the item just appears as PSP only ?? Am i being completely blind??

duckroll

Dave Long said:

You know, you're really being an asshole about this. In fact, I don't even think you read what anyone says anymore, you just want to go all out and attack people who disagree with you on this matter. It's getting annoying and old.

Here's how much of a fucking hypocrite you are:

Dave Long said:
They've included online play, which none of the games were ever created with that in mind. That alone justifies charging something more than $2 a game.

Dave Long said:
SNK is giving us something extra, making the games playable online or via Ad Hoc multiplayer, which is already a large enough task that $9 for one game seems more than reasonable.

Dave Long said:
Sorry that your life depends on online play. Mine does not.

This is really pathetic. You seem to be out to bitch about anyone who has anything negative to say about this, and that I feel is completely uncalled for an unfair. No one here is stopping you from buying and supporting stuff you like and enjoying it. Yet it seems that you've taken to trying to turn this thread into some sort of sacred temple where you can defend and excuse anything regarding this release because you think it's so damn great. Well, it's not going to happen, and not on my watch.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Duckroll ! Dave ! >8(

Group hug NAO !
* Hugs *

It's kinda funny reading some of the posts here asking whether or not these games are worth a tenner, having owned a Neo-Geo back in the day. :lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Attack You said:
It's kinda funny reading some of the posts here asking whether or not these games are worth a tenner, having owned a Neo-Geo back in the day. :lol
Or having had the cabinets in your university student union.

"For you, ten dollars to be graced with a game was too much. For me...it was Tuesday morning."

Fersis

Attack You said:
I never had the money to get a NeoGeo... but i practically lived in the arcades. :lol

Yes Boss!

viewtiful_dru said:
can i get some love for karnov's revenge?
Probably be awhile before it comes. I mean, it JUST came out on VC after five years and nobody even knows if the third-party titles are hitting the PSN service. I'm sure hoping. Skipped Karnov on VC and plan to get it on PSN if it comes.

vocab

viewtiful_dru said:
can i get some love for karnov's revenge?

:lol game is funny as hell. The frame traps that some of the characters have are broken as fuck. Karnov has like + frames on every move.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Wow.

It almost makes me feel like I'm on the old Neo-Geo.com boards with the Dave Long vs. Duckroll battles! I'm starting to feel a bit nostalgic. :p

I don't see myself getting any of these games, until the netcode is up to par. THEN it will be totally worth getting Garou, Samsho 2, King of Fighters 96 (yeah, I like it better than 98), and Magical Drop 3.

Oh, and it will be interesting to see games like Neo Turf Masters, and Last Blade 2. The Neo Geo is hella old, and they STILL haven't been able to emulate the line scroll and wave effects from those two games well...

Yes Boss!

mr jones,

Is that why Shock Troopers has such crappy emulation on VC...like some type of v-sync error? It has always bugged me, but never remembered if it was in the original.

Sew

Sew said:
Chacranajxy said:
Thankfully, you can turn all the stupid smoothing filters off and keep the proper aspect ratio so that it looks absolutely mint. Hell, I think this may actually be sharper than any way you can actually play the original cart, or even better than MAME. It just scales really, really nicely.
The first question I had when I saw the thread was, I wonder how the scaling is (and god forbid, the filtering). And yours was the second post I read.

I love them for getting this right and I love you for making a point of it. SOLD!
And now I return with my thoughts.

I picked up Metal Slug, and I'm not very happy. I really appreciate the functionality they've put into the front end, particularly with regard to display options. But despite this, it all manages to be so ugly. The menus look cheap and garish, and the bezel (border) options during gameplay are either 'funky' designs or bad gradients (no plain black option... honestly).

Then there's the slowness. When I change settings or save states on a GP2X, with its measley 200mhz, it's instant. When I did it running homebrew on my previously jailbroken PS3, it was instant. So why does this crappy commercial code take 30 seconds to start up, and 5 seconds to 'save data' at just about every turn in the menu? There's something very fat and ugly about it.

The scaling and filtering options for the game screen itself are all very welcome, and all too rare in a commercial emulator like this. But there's still something off about the visuals, and I can't figure out what. Playing SNES when I was jailbroken was amazing, seeing that pixel art in all its blocky perfection on the big screen. I expected a similar experience here, but it just doesn't hit a home run for some reason. Metal Slug looks killer on my GP2X screen, just as SNES does, but for some reason it lacks punch in this guise.

I emulate everything I can on every platform I can, and I accept that much of it is morally grey territory. So when a publisher starts re-selling titles in this fashion on XBLA or PSN, I'm all for coughing up a few bucks to support it. Sadly this failed outing cost me $15 :-(

And I haven't even been near the netcode yet.

Fersis

It seems like :
  • Alpha Mission II
  • Art Of Fighting
  • The King Of Fighters 94
  • Super SideKicks
  • BaseBall Stars
  • League Bowling
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Magician Lord
will be released for PSP this month.

Once its official ill update the OP.
:3

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Fersis said:
It seems like :
  • Alpha Mission II
  • Art Of Fighting
  • Super SideKicks
  • BaseBall Stars
  • League Bowling
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Magician Lord

Good news, but what about the next batch of PSN games? Have you heard when they will be out? If not, can you at least SPECULATE on when you personally think they will come out, and whether or not SS2 will be in that batch?

gstaff

Fersis said:
It seems like :
  • Alpha Mission II
  • Art Of Fighting
  • Super SideKicks
  • BaseBall Stars
  • League Bowling
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Magician Lord

I thought I saw Magician Lord on up for PSP last night.

have they released any sort of release schedule? Still no new games :(

also what are they going to do about the character silhouettes in the loading screen? Will they release games only as big batches of games that have a different loading screen alltogether?

Fersis

Noisepurge said:
have they released any sort of release schedule? Still no new games :(
also what are they going to do about the character silhouettes in the loading screen? Will they release games only as big batches of games that have a different loading screen alltogether?
No schedule whatsoever.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So like ummmmmmm......where the hell are the next batch of games? I want SS2, 3, 4, &5sp dammit!

androvsky

isamu said:
So like ummmmmmm......where the hell are the next batch of games? I want SS2, 3, 4, &5sp dammit!

In the last PS Nation podcast, Torgo said he talked to someone from SNK at GDC, and there should be another batch coming in a few weeks. No hints as to which ones though.

tearsofash

I got impatient for them to release more, so I went about and bought an AES a few weeks ago. I'm hoping they'll at least release some expensive stuff so I won't have to get the cartridges.

Kuran

Banned
Araxen said:
I would give both of my testicles for Samurai Showdown HD.

Why? The pixel art of the originals is perfect. A HD version would most likely be an atrocity like Street Fighter HD.

Araxen

Banned
Kuran said:
Why? The pixel art of the originals is perfect. A HD version would most likely be an atrocity like Street Fighter HD.

Because it looks like poo on my HD TV. SF2 HD was perfect. To each their own though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Vanguard was just rated by ESRB, for PS3 and PSP by SNK.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The Take Out Bandit said:
SNK isn't stupid enough to involve Udung in their product.
No, but this is the company that gave power to Fatcoon.

379859-bmary_reg5.jpg

That's supposed to be Blue Mary.

Top Bottom