• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Crystalkoen

Heck yeah I did. I now have a Greenill RAcast named FOODFOOD and a Bluefall FOmarl named DOOFDOOF.

Now for the Yellowboze HUnewearl FOODDOOF. Complete the trifecta!

And why are FOmarl more dependent on a group than the other force characters? Just due to lower MST without enough ATP to make up for it?

Zalusithix

And why are FOmarl more dependent on a group than the other force characters? Just due to lower MST without enough ATP to make up for it?

Low MST, no inherent damage bonus to any tech skills aside from Grants. Meanwhile they have range bonuses for all support skills. They're the most support focused of all the FO.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

FOmarl:

We have a force that’s better for meleeing than casting.The FOmarl can also cast pretty well, just like the FOmar, but to a lesser extent, due to her having bonuses to support techs and Grants, rather than attack techs. Try outfitting her with a Rainbow Baton,and high hit gun.She also can act as more of a support force,due to having double Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Anti range.This will definitely help if you play with other players alot.

Definitely a support class.I have never used one personally,there just isn't enough destruction capabilities for me lol,however don't bother with the Caduceus.Its extra 10% Grants Bonus still isn't enough to utilize Grants at any level except for the sole purpose of Indi Belra sniping in Ultimate in my opinion.

Zalusithix

Yall are forgetting FOmarl's secret passive - Elegance.

You know, I can't argue there. I do love the look of the FOmarl. It's why I went with one back in the DC days as a secondary character. I wanted to avoid playing the same race/class combos though, so FOnewearl it was.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Finally getting a chance to play again.

Has anybody been able to get this running on Windows 10?
I been running this on Windows 10 day 1 without any issues.

Crystalkoen

Low MST, no inherent damage bonus to any tech skills aside from Grants. Meanwhile they have range bonuses for all support skills. They're the most support focused of all the FO.

FOmarl:

We have a force that’s better for meleeing than casting.The FOmarl can also cast pretty well, just like the FOmar, but to a lesser extent, due to her having bonuses to support techs and Grants, rather than attack techs. Try outfitting her with a Rainbow Baton,and high hit gun.She also can act as more of a support force,due to having double Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Anti range.This will definitely help if you play with other players alot.

I never gave much thought to support spell ranges. Smart positioning was usually sufficient to hit everybody in a room that's not Mine-sized or Central Dome-esque. I think I'd have rather seen even Jellen and Zalure get the benefit of the range boost, would've given the class a more unique feel.

Yall are forgetting FOmarl's secret passive - Elegance.

I can't argue this, nor would I want to. The FOmarl is one classy lady.

I don't play many FOs. Can someone explain Grants to me and what it's used for? Seems to get the shaft.
Many techs are better alternatives since they either cast faster, cost less TP, or do more damage to multiple enemies at a time.

Also, decided to make a HUcast and just get whatever ID I'd end up with... but now I'm regretting it since none of my characters have a section ID good for hunter rares.

Thinking of remaking him to Skyly, but I think a majority of the player base already has it.

Looked at the tradelist and there aren't much Ranger weapons wanted I guess.

SoulUnison

Banned
I don't play many FOs. Can someone explain Grants to me and what it's used for? Seems to get the shaft.

It's just supposed to be a highly damaging single-target Light-elemental spell, but it ends up being pretty worthless since the way its damage scales it gets outclassed by the Fire/Ice/Lightning Techs and some monsters are flat out immune to Light-element damage (which also makes them immune to offensive Photon Blasts.)

If there was one thing I was hoping for from Ep 1&2 it was getting some new spells, but that didn't happen.

Zalusithix

If there was one thing I was hoping for from Ep 1&2 it was getting some new spells, but that didn't happen.
FOs already have to juggle 11 different offensive techs and 7 utility/support techs. The last thing they need is more. It'd be one thing if you could specialize in a given "school", but the way resists work, you really need to have access to all 3 elements at all times.

Crystalkoen

FOs already have to juggle 11 different offensive techs and 7 utility/support techs. The last thing they need is more. It'd be one thing if you could specialize in a given "school", but the way resists work, you really need to have access to all 3 elements at all times.

And 2-3 of the weapons that increase tech damage (such as Fire Wand: Agni), from what I'm seeing. It's taking me 6 Gifoies at tech level 10, with even more than that in Rafoies, to kill a pack of VHard Booma, and that's with Agni. Without it would be... what, 7-8?

I dislike how the normal and hard attacks deal less damage than the simple ones, on the basis of being a greater AoE. I guess they're more efficient, but it's just that much more micromanagement to pick your attack based on what's in the coming room, or suffer TP inefficiency.

Do Shotguns and Swords suffer that penalty? Or do they just get slapped with the slower attack speed to compensate?

Xion_Stellar

Do Shotguns and Swords suffer that penalty? Or do they just get slapped with the slower attack speed to compensate?
Like I mentioned before in the thread all Multi Hit Weapons (Single or Multi Target) in the game generally have less ATP and ATA when compared to Single Hit Weapons.

Of course the exception to this rule is some Rare Weapons such as the Excalibur which is categorized as a Single Hit Weapon (Saber) but it can hit up to 3 tagets at the same time.

Zalusithix

And 2-3 of the weapons that increase tech damage (such as Fire Wand: Agni), from what I'm seeing. It's taking me 6 Gifoies at tech level 10, with even more than that in Rafoies, to kill a pack of VHard Booma, and that's with Agni. Without it would be... what, 7-8?

I dislike how the normal and hard attacks deal less damage than the simple ones, on the basis of being a greater AoE. I guess they're more efficient, but it's just that much more micromanagement to pick your attack based on what's in the coming room, or suffer TP inefficiency.

Rotating weapons out based on element would go above and beyond what I think I could be effectively be capable of. I'd much rather have one equipped that just boosts a general tech level instead of an individual element.

Outside of that, yes, you're constantly having to evaluate what level tech to use in addition to what element. Positioning, number of monsters, relative health... Everything plays a part if you're trying to maximize the damage to TP usage ratio. Of course, in multiplayer, it simplifies a bit as the AOEs aren't going to be versions you'll want to cast in general. Thanks to the whole damage canceling mechanic, the last thing you want is your comparatively low damage tech overwriting a HU/RA's damage.

Shots are simultaneously slower, less damaging, and less accurate than a rifle. It's the price paid for being able to deal damage to multiple enemies at a distance which would otherwise only be the realm of techs.

Crystalkoen

Like I mentioned before in the thread all Multi Hit Weapons (Single or Multi Target) in the game generally have less ATP and ATA when compared to Single Hit Weapons.

Of course the exception to this rule is some Rare Weapons such as the Excalibur which is categorized as a Single Hit Weapon (Saber) but it can hit up to 3 tagets at the same time.

I didn't see the note earlier in the thread. If it was before page 30, I kinda joined this party a bit late and missed it.
So I guess ALL AoE is reduced in effectiveness to make up for the efficiency of killing multiple things at once. My next question: Is it a flat expected loss (eg. ~30% across the board), and if HU/RA can mitigate it at a better rate (thanks to +hit and photon affinity) than a FO can?

Xion_Stellar

My next question: Is it a flat expected loss (eg. ~30% across the board), and if HU/RA can mitigate it at a better rate (thanks to +hit and photon affinity) than a FO can?
Yeah I don't feel like doing math right now since I just got out of work and I'm a bit tired....so here's a generalized example:

IGNORING a Weapons %s (Native/A. Native/Machine/Dark/Hit) since those are generated randomly and a IGNORING a Weapon's Special Attack (Since Charge/Demons/Hell/Beserk can make a big difference in DPS).

Lets pretend that a Lv.200 your total ATP is 10 so if you were to equip the following Weapon types you get that much Damage Bonus:
Saber: 4.4 (Single Target Hit Weapon)
Dagger: 2.4 (Single Target Multi Hits Weapon)
Sword: 4 (Multi Targets Hit Weapon)

So as you can see Multi Target Hit Weapons don't take such a damage lost but they only hit 3 times like Single Target Hit Weapons but Single Target Multi Hits Weapon can hit up to a minimum of 6 times so it's not a huge damage loss either depending how many hits landed.

As for ATA? I'm not getting into that but your basically pinning your (After Equiping a Weapon) total ATA - your targets EVP + your Weapon's Hit% (if any) ÷ by your luck (because even if you have a 99% chance of hitting an enemy you can still miss).

This is a grand generalization but it gives you an idea and like I said a few Rare Weapons don't follow/break this generalization.

Not to mention I ignored the difference in stats between classes, Attack Speed animations being increased by Units (Heavenly/Battle and V101), and the Attack Pattern a player is using (Normal>Hard>Hard or Hard>Hard>Hard etc) really it's a whole lot to calculate.

Long story short Forces get the shaft.

I love you all. Just fired up GC Ep1/2 for the first time in ages after this thread gave me a nostalgia rush and decided to do a few Redria CCA runs in the vague hope of getting a Soul Banish. I remember wanting one for my FOmarl back when I was still playing regularly.

A Spigell just dropped one with 30% hit and 15% machine (tekked). My jaw hit the floor when I saw it drop, and then detached itself from my mouth when I saw the hit %. Have to equip God Powers for my FOmarl to actually use it, but yeah, this ends a hunt that was first started about 10 years ago.

I love you all. Just fired up GC Ep1/2 for the first time in ages after this thread gave me a nostalgia rush and decided to do a few Redria CCA runs in the vague hope of getting a Soul Banish. I remember wanting one for my FOmarl back when I was still playing regularly.

A Spigell just dropped one with 30% hit and 15% machine (tekked). My jaw hit the floor when I saw it drop, and then detached itself from my mouth when I saw the hit %. Have to equip God Powers for my FOmarl to actually use it, but yeah, this ends a hunt that was first started about 10 years ago.

Ooh! Congrats! I'm raising a FOmarl secondary for when my friend isn't on (don't want to outlevel them too much on my main :3 ) so I was eyeing up hunting for a soul banish for her too at some point in the future XD

How do I go about trading items between characters? Is there a particular way to do it? I tried opening up two windows, but every time I try to log into my second character, it logs me out on my first.

Xion_Stellar

How do I go about trading items between characters? Is there a particular way to do it? I tried opening up two windows, but every time I try to log into my second character, it logs me out on my first.

Why not use the common bank? Just type /bank while in a room to switch between common bank (bank share by all the 4 characters under that account) and your character bank.

Why not use the common bank? Just type /bank while in a room to switch between common bank (bank share by all the 4 characters under that account) and your character bank.

I had NO CLUE this existed. That's awesome, thanks!

UPDATE:

I should have gotten a screenshot of the four of us playing tonight. Was a great group. Thanks for leveling my FOmarl from 5 to 18 in an hour.

Zalusithix

Heh, I had almost forgotten how much faster paced group based play was. It certainly brought back memories of the DC days - foggy as those memories might be. At any rate, it was nice playing with you all tonight. (I know Benny was DOOF, but I'm not sure who the RAcast and FOmar were.)

Gattuso

when I logged on, my mag was suddenly an ila instead of a varaha and had a 3rd pb added. it turned back into a varaha the moment I fed it something though.

Xion_Stellar

Heh, I had almost forgotten how much faster paced group based play was. It certainly brought back memories of the DC days - foggy as those memories might be. At any rate, it was nice playing with you all tonight. (I know Benny was DOOF, but I'm not sure who the RAcast and FOmar were.)

I was the RAcast Lead Shot and it was a nice game but benny got the biggest benefit out of it.

when I logged on, my mag was suddenly an ila instead of a varaha and had a 3rd pb added. it turned back into a varaha the moment I fed it something though.

Unfortunate Mag desync and no Mag system in any fan hosted server has ever been perfect unfortunately so that tends to happen sporadically and it already killed one of my mags on this server(by adding 1 point into MST).

Gattuso

Unfortunate Mag desync and no Mag system in any fan hosted server has ever been perfect unfortunately so that tends to happen sporadically and it already killed one of my mags on this server(by adding 1 point into MST).

well I don't really mind that that had happened, it just caught me off guard there. i'm used to stuff like this happening though. my pso 2 mag suffered a worse fate though as i'm not sure how it happened but it's been a permanent unevolved mag since I had it. even got it to max level too and it's still like that!

Xion_Stellar

Eventually we will Open up this server to the public which is a good thing but I like playing with some of you guys and it would be easier to communicate through the team chat in game if we are looking for help,want to trade something or to plan/schedule a group/session so with that in mind I created a NeoGAF Team and anyone here on NeoGAF is welcome to join.

wIPIZXs.png

Zalusithix

I was the RAcast Lead Shot and it was a nice game but benny got the biggest benefit out of it.
Level wise, sure. Still, I got plenty of benefit out of it though in terms of getting back into the swing of things. That was my first multiplayer game of PSO in over a decade, and my first revisiting of Falz in the same time frame.

Also, I have to say, I was all prepared for the holo-ring phase in the Falz fight. When it never came, it kind of created discord in my mind. I couldn't remember what elements he was weak to in a given phase, but I was damn sure the fight wasn't supposed to end there lol. High -> low level play screwing with what few memories I have left.

Pretty much everything. The atmosphere. The music. The really neat models for each of the weapons. How deep and intricate mag evolution is. I really loved the section ID drop system way back then. I'd even say it holds up today as a mechanic. I'm also really fond of the little nuances each enemy has in regards to attack patterns/abilities. I could go on and on...

The game is a masterpiece, at least in my opinion. I dream of the day they port this over to a handheld so I can play it everywhere!

I really like the flow of the combat. The interplay between the combo system, the various enemy AI, and unique and situational abilities. It's just really satisfying to perfect the most efficient flow for a given situation and execute it, just like finding your optimal 'rotation' in a more traditional MMO.

Also, the whole presentation is just fantastic, but especially the music and sound effects. Some of the best sound design ever.

Heh, well I'm glad you both brought up the AI nuances/patterns as that's one of the big parts I enjoy (well, unless you're completely negating them with ranged weapons outside of maybe indie Belra :p), though the other elements all contribute wonderfully for me too, especially the atmosphere and music :D

Level wise, sure. Still, I got plenty of benefit out of it though in terms of getting back into the swing of things. That was my first multiplayer game of PSO in over a decade, and my first revisiting of Falz in the same time frame.

Also, I have to say, I was all prepared for the holo-ring phase in the Falz fight. When it never came, it kind of created discord in my mind. I couldn't remember what elements he was weak to in a given phase, but I was damn sure the fight wasn't supposed to end there lol. High -> low level play screwing with what few memories I have left.

Yes, if it went to the Halo portion, we probably shouldn't have done it. I mean, you all already wasted enough Moons on me :p His Grants would have killed me every time.

At any rate, that is definitely the quickest I've ever leveled a character. I was leveling faster than I could upgrade my spells... I still don't have any support spells except Resta.

Zalusithix

Yes, if it went to the Halo portion, we probably shouldn't have done it. I mean, you all already wasted enough Moons on me :p His Grants would have killed me every time.

At any rate, that is definitely the quickest I've ever leveled a character. I was leveling faster than I could upgrade my spells... I still don't have any support spells except Resta.

I don't think I got around to reviving you once. The FOmar was on top of that damn fast. You'd be dead, and then you'd be alive again two seconds later (and then dead again shortly thereafter ;) ). After a while I just assumed the FOmar was going to get you and more or less ignored your deaths in favor of continued attacking. Probably could have done with less attacking on the TTF run though... Burned through my TP reserve and fluids like crazy with no time to pipe up or use my weapon's special. Trifluids would have been more than enough, but those are a bit too costly to just burn through.

As for keeping up with techs, I'm way behind myself of what I could be packing. I have level 9/10 simple techs, but could be using versions over level 20 going by MST req's. Meanwhile my Gi and Ra techs are back at level 3, and my S/D/J/Z are laughable.

Jackano

Tech discs are horrible. You don't really find any beyond level 15 until Ultimate and then it is a slow creep up.

It is another thing like makes the life of a FO unpleasant at times.

Havn't seen you in the sheet, so who are you on the server?

Well, on the up side, if Ult is truly lacking FOs currently, then there should be a stockpile of high level techs growing that nobody can use? Right? ;)

I almost always keep >lv.14 techs I found in bank. And some days ago I buffed a couple FOs I've seen with gear and techs. Zonde 19 and Resta 13 that kind of things for those lv-40ish players.
I still have a little dozen techs in bank, most disks between 21-24.
To help community I don't even trade them, even if I would like a few goodies in return, but basically one who need them can I have it for free.

Zalusithix

I almost always keep >lv.14 techs I found in bank. And some days ago I buffed a couple FOs I've seen with gear and techs. Zonde 19 and Resta 13 that kind of things for those lv-40ish players.
I still have a little dozen techs in bank, most disks between 21-24.
To help community I don't even trade them, even if I would like a few goodies in return, but basically one who need them can I have it for free.

That's the way the community should be - at least for one as small as the one we have currently. Advancing the progress of the community in general is more important than short term personal gain. After all, if there's nobody to play with, then it's all for nothing.

That and lower level players aren't likely to have much to offer in trade anyhow.

Agreed. Granted, if you find a Lame d'Argent, you keep that mofo.
But I think that's great of you guys to look out for us. I want to eventually get to Ult so I can start helping people out. Back in the day, I used to farm Rianov-5s and give out the ones with no HIT to low-level RAs.

thedan001

Talk to me when you need any lv20+ tech disks

I find them all the time and I just ignore them :<

If you tell me which tech disks you need the most, I will keep a look out for them then shoot you a PM here if any drops, if you don't meet up with me after a time, I will likely throw it out since I'm low with space

I'm happy to help rising FO's up to date with spells, I know theyre a factor for exp/hr rate

Also, I throw out 9* FO weapons too, tell me if you need those also.

Top Bottom