• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Zalusithix

I'm the opposite and I purposely went with the highest ATP characters for each Class HUcast,RAcast and FOmar.
Not to mention that FOmars have access to Lv.30 Shifta and Deband so by the end of it all I picture my FOmar running around with Excalibur and Tellusis Mag while buffing himself with Lv.30 S&D.

If I ever get there, I picture the FOnewearl with a Summit Moon and relying on the high MST + 60% boost to simple techs to give her a snowball's chance in hell of doing decent (single target) damage in Ult.

thedan001

If I ever get there, I picture the FOnewearl with a Summit Moon and relying on the high MST + 60% boost to simple techs to give her a snowball's chance in hell of doing decent (single target) damage in Ult.

That's ideal for solo/duo gameplay

The easier and more fun way to play is just keep S/D buffs up and hug resta your 2 HU's as they do main dps and a ranger focuses debuffing enemies with freeze, paralysis, confusion, and demon's

As a ranger with 50% hit arms with special effects, and a good amount of ATA, even I find myself consistently landing debuffs at a good rate in ultimate mode while I tag along a couple hunters.

No, my 50% hit arrest arms doesn't land paraylsis as good as a spread needle but it still does good enough with good gear/units

From my experience, that is the way ultimate should be handled. Granted, low player base makes getting parties harder, however, I see some lv120~150 soloing and always, always open to teaming up whenever possible. Just ask them, if they can play, they will team up for ultimate 99% of the time unless they are just farming for a specific rare or doing solo mode quests

tl;dr We really have a big need of support FOs in ult

I think this is going to be the case for quite a while, simply because it's so much harder to solo as a FO. FO's are almost overpowered in team setups, but so underpowered in solo setups, and right now, we just don't have enough low-level teams going on to help FOs along.

Zalusithix

That's ideal for solo/duo gameplay

The easier and more fun way to play is just keep S/D buffs up and hug resta your 2 HU's as they do main dps and a ranger focuses debuffing enemies with freeze, paralysis, confusion, and demon's

As a ranger with 50% hit arms with special effects, and a good amount of ATA, even I find myself consistently landing debuffs at a good rate in ultimate mode while I tag along a couple hunters.

No, my 50% hit arrest arms doesn't land paraylsis as good as a spread needle but it still does good enough with good gear/units

From my experience, that is the way ultimate should be handled. Granted, low player base makes getting parties harder, however, I see some lv120~150 soloing and always, always open to teaming up whenever possible. Just ask them, if they can play, they will team up for ultimate 99% of the time unless they are just farming for a specific rare or doing solo mode quests

The resists in non-solo play can get so stupidly high in ultimate, that becoming a buff/debuff machine is pretty much the only viable route to contributing. Even super high elemental damage potential doesn't mean much when many monsters have 90%+ minimum resist values. I'm really not sure what the thought process was with single->normal resistances jumping insanely, but defense only jumping a relatively small amount. The issue is just compounded by the fact that Zalure doesn't touch resist values.

That said, downsides be damned, I've more or less decided to focus on my FO at this point instead of my RA. By the end of tonight my Sato should be at level 200 which leaves me free to focus more on leveling and come out of solo hermit mode. Though to be honest, solo is comforting. I'm free to make stupid mistakes without a team's success potentially riding on me. =P

N.A

Banned
Registration is open to anyone for the next two hours for testing.

http://www.neopso.com/register-test/

Lurkers and people who didn't want to deal with PM feel free to signup. Also any current members feel free to make alt accounts or accounts for friends. The signup form will be closed at 8:00pm GMT (a little over 2 hours from now) and reopen properly once Tethealla (server software) releases the big update (hopefully this week).

Thanks to Tumo for helping with this!

I'll be adding a support ticket system to NeoPSO.com shortly where both gaf members and non-gaf members can get support.

xBladeM6x

Lurkers and people who didn't want to deal with PM feel free to signup. Also any current members feel free to make alt accounts or accounts for friends. The signup form will be closed at 8:00pm GMT (a little over 2 hours from now) and reopen properly once Tethealla (server software) releases the big update (hopefully this week).

I'll be adding a support ticket system to NeoPSO.com shortly where both gaf members and non-gaf members can get support.
This is coming together rather nicely. :3

Zalusithix

Two things I notice right away. First is the lack of HTTPS, so plaintext sends of usernames/passwords. This isn't the end of the world given the non-critical nature of the game. (So long as people aren't stupid and don't reuse username/pass combos.) Still, best practice would be to have it. Second would be that the download link might be better off sent in a confirmation email on registration and not plastered on the registration page itself. Less chance of a takedown, though the risk of that is probably rather low.

Crystalkoen

I can understand the desire for regaining TP. My mid 20s FO uses a heart autogun with 30% hit for TP regen. I don't really use fluids outside of boss fights. Between the gun and piping up for cheap TP fill ups, fluids seem like a waste of money when solo.
It was rough at earlier levels, since money was so tight. Now that I'm getting 10k+ profit (after restocking Difluid + Mono/Dimate) from about 10 minutes of work, I'm really not minding chugging some fluids to keep going. Tends to work out with when I need to go back to town to unload loot, too. My FOnewm in DCv1 was the opposite, played him as a super cheapskate with a Geist... railgun? Whatever the max pistol he could equip was. Could stay in a dungeon forever.

Edit: I'm also with you on the tech only bit. I have no desire to play a FO that uses a weapon for damage.

I just wanted to give that path a whirl this time around, since I did the ATP/ATA route the first time. From the sounds of it, Ultimate's going to make me wish I hadn't, especially as a FOnewearl.

Conveniently, I tend to enjoy playing healers in MMOs and love playing supports where they exist. There's a certain enjoyment I glean from making sure others are able to better do what they're there to do. Now to find someone to hug at a time when I'm online... A task which will become significantly harder to do after this coming Friday night, and the Diablo III patch.

But I'll try, dammit. Even if I have to tell my GF she's soloing rifts for the night.

N.A

Banned
Two things I notice right away. First is the lack of HTTPS, so plaintext sends of usernames/passwords. This isn't the end of the world given the non-critical nature of the game. (So long as people aren't stupid and don't reuse username/pass combos.) Still, best practice would be to have it. Second would be that the download link might be better off sent in a confirmation email on registration and not plastered on the registration page itself. Less chance of a takedown, though the risk of that is probably rather low.

I feel SSL is pretty much overkill for something like this and another expense (even if it's cheap). I'll just add a note to request people don't use usernames/passes they use elsewhere.

I'll look into adding the client download in an email confirmation soon, though other server's clients have been up for years without takedown.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Well I created my sub account to contribute to the testing and I will see if it works once I get home from work.

Eoyote

Neo Member

Signed up a few accounts for alts/storage. Getting incorrect username/password on each of them.

Zalusithix

I feel SSL is pretty much overkill for something like this and another expense (even if it's cheap). I'll just add a note to request people don't use usernames/passes they use elsewhere.

I'll look into adding the client download in an email confirmation soon, though other server's clients have been up for years without takedown.

Technically you can get class 1 SSL certs for free [1] [2]. Setting things up and maintaining them takes an additional bit of effort though.

As for the takedown possibility, like I said, it's probably unlikely. At the same time, nobody would actually need the link without being registered first, so there's no harm in it either (aside from possible email loss).

N.A

Banned
Signed up a few accounts for alts/storage. Getting incorrect username/password on each of them.

Should be fixed now. Anyone who registered in this time and has login trouble your password was converted to lowercase.

Registration will stay open a little longer to make sure it's fixed.

thedan001

Ultima and Schthack servers implemented anti-cheating measures when they opened up registration

Now NeoPSO going public, is the honor system still upheld? Can people report abuse to GM's? I'm sure this has already been discussed between N.A and the GMs

N.A, I know busy and all, I recommend putting up a F.A.Q. page on the sign up registration site that answers this and other common questions that have popped up in this thread

Ultima and Schthack servers implemented anti-cheating measures when they opened up registration

Now NeoPSO going public, is the honor system still upheld? Can people report abuse to GM's? I'm sure this has already been discussed between N.A and the GMs

N.A, I know busy and all, I recommend putting up a F.A.Q. page on the sign up registration site that answers this and other common questions that have popped up in this thread

Yeah, you can report any abuse issues to me, myth, or SU.

N.A

Banned

We'll combat cheaters in the following ways:

I am working on a support ticket system. It will have a "report suspected cheating" option.

A tool was recently released to easily check users inventories so I can confirm cheating quickly.

Red boxes will soon be announced to the room. I can probably easily hook into this function and do global announces for really rare stuff.

I'll be hiring more GMs soon.

Red boxes will soon be announced to the room. I can probably easily hook into this function and do global announces for really rare stuff.

I think, while the population is low, it would be awesome to have global announcements of virtually any Red Boxes.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Any former SCHTHACK member here that can access their old forum account? If so can you download this for me and host it somewhere? I want to see if I can run this on NeoPSO or not:

http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68956

Because I can't access my old account for some reason and their website is so archaic it doesn't even allow e-mails from Hotmail, Outlook, Live, Google and Yahoo! so creating a new e-mail account just to re register seems like a bother.

Edit: Screw it I went ahead and did it anyways so I download the reader and it doesn't work unfortunately :( I hope that one day Teth makes a tool like that because it did have it's uses and it helped in some way to combat dupes.

Xion_Stellar

OK, registration is now closed. I'll probably open it again for periods over the next few days.

Just to let you know my sub account I created during the test period DID in fact work for me.

thedan001

I think, while the population is low, it would be awesome to have global announcements of virtually any Red Boxes.

I love this idea. But instead of all red boxes, how about 10* and higher rares and item types (parasite genes, syncesta, s-beats arms)

Might have to filter out common ones like booma's right arm, no one wants to see that along with DB's SABER

Ultimate mode drops 9* common rare red boxes like it's trash

The resists in non-solo play can get so stupidly high in ultimate, that becoming a buff/debuff machine is pretty much the only viable route to contributing. Even super high elemental damage potential doesn't mean much when many monsters have 90%+ minimum resist values. I'm really not sure what the thought process was with single->normal resistances jumping insanely, but defense only jumping a relatively small amount. The issue is just compounded by the fact that Zalure doesn't touch resist values.

That said, downsides be damned, I've more or less decided to focus on my FO at this point instead of my RA. By the end of tonight my Sato should be at level 200 which leaves me free to focus more on leveling and come out of solo hermit mode. Though to be honest, solo is comforting. I'm free to make stupid mistakes without a team's success potentially riding on me. =P

That's a shame. One of the things I really liked about the original PSO was that you could pretty much just play whoever you like however you like and it'd work for the most part (I say as a melee FOnewearl who used soul eater's beserk to keep up with Hunters fairly well). It looks like as the series progressed, even before PSU, they started adding things that took the series away from what I enjoyed about it by adding more clearly defined roles in ulty, making shifta/deband pretty darn important and adding a material limit so you have to carefully plan out your character from an early point to avoid potential downfall at the end of the game :/

On a somewhat related note, what are people's favourite things about PSO? I know what I enjoy about it, but I'm curious what the draw is for others too :D

Cursed luck brag. In getting my character up to hard I was in ruins and I got a red box drop from an enemy. SACRED GUARD 1/7447. Of all the occasions to get such an unlikely drop it has to be on something so useless.

Daaaang, I didn't even think about that. Is there anything, by chance, similar to this that a HU can equip? I need to boost my max ATA, I keep missing, and my ATA stat is yellow :*(.

I'm already looking for hit% weapons everywhere I can.

(Thinking of rerolling a HUcaseal, as she has the highest max ATA)
Really late on this Robots can use S-Parts ver2.01 to give 15 ATA. Those are an absurdly rare normal difficulty drop. We are talking 1/7447 at best.

Apart from that you have green ring which requires multiple party members to wear (and I think is unobtainable due to being challnge mode related) and red ring which may be an ultimate difficulty dark falz drop.

Would it be worth it to roll a HUNewearl as a support? Haven't really seen many of those so far.
I'd recommend it only if you like playing hunters. Ramarl gets the same access to level 20 jellen, zalure, shifta and deband. Level 20 is +/-34% compared to level 30s +/-47%

Eoyote

Neo Member
On a somewhat related note, what are people's favourite things about PSO? I know what I enjoy about it, but I'm curious what the draw is for others too :D

Pretty much everything. The atmosphere. The music. The really neat models for each of the weapons. How deep and intricate mag evolution is. I really loved the section ID drop system way back then. I'd even say it holds up today as a mechanic. I'm also really fond of the little nuances each enemy has in regards to attack patterns/abilities. I could go on and on...

The game is a masterpiece, at least in my opinion. I dream of the day they port this over to a handheld so I can play it everywhere!

Zalusithix

The game is a masterpiece, at least in my opinion. I dream of the day they port this over to a handheld so I can play it everywhere!
That'll happen right after they get around to releasing PSO2 over here. That said, the game pretty much could run on a toaster these days. Take something like the Intel Minnowboard Max, a display, usb controller board and some buttons/sticks. Throw it in a 3D printed shell, wifi hotspot to your phone and presto. Mobile handheld PSO.

Theoretically at least. I obviously haven't tested the performance on such a chip.

That'll happen right after they get around to releasing PSO2 over here. That said, the game pretty much could run on a toaster these days. Take something like the Intel Minnowboard Max, a display, usb controller board and some buttons/sticks. Throw it in a 3D printed shell, wifi hotspot to your phone and presto. Mobile handheld PSO.

Theoretically at least. I obviously haven't tested the performance on such a chip.

or.. y'know.. just get a tablet and play it on there. :)

Zalusithix

or.. y'know.. just get a tablet and play it on there. :)

Tablets are bigger than what I'd traditionally associate with "handheld". That and the whole lack of control interfaces. Using an external controller would eliminate the handheld nature, so you'd still have to use some sort of controller case. All certainly possible of course, but not as fun as hacking together something from the ground up.

thedan001

PSA: the ID drop table instantly switches if the host leaves or disconnects to the 2nd person who joined the game, and hence forth for 3rd and 4th in order who joins

2 examples of seeing this occur...

1) In a game of 4 players, host left right before I see a red slime, killing it dropped red box according to my ID, not the host who quit game, I was the 2nd person who joined game

2) Veldin and I farming Zu's, while hosting game...rare pazuzu pops and I d/ced, it drops a vivienne which is only in Veldin's ID

The more you know

SoulUnison

Banned

Sorry, I got a FOmar to mid 60s the first couple days the server was out, but then I burned out on how everybody seems to either be an unstoppable juggernaut who was already in the 100s and doing nothing but TTF on Very Hard over and over, or was just starting out in Forest 1 on Normal.

Forces need a lot of interaction and good matchmaking to keep the game from burning you out, because we have so much micromanagement to worry about just keep up with Hunters and Rangers.

SoldatJ

Neo Member
You guys are making me feel guilty cuz all I do is try and farm for my equipment on my force. I won't be able to play this week, but next week I'll definitely party with anyone and everyone, boosting all your stats and blowing stuff up.

N.A

Banned
The English-translated versions of New Mop-Up Operation 1-5 for epiode 4 have been added.

Thanks to Xion_Stellar for the tip and this post at the Teth forums for the translation.

Two questions I've been wondering about:

-Is there a way to run multiple instances of the game, i.e: multibox?
-Is there a way to disable controller input while the main window isn't active? I tried using autohotkey to make a script that would block input, but either I did it wrong, which is entirely possible or AHK doesn't trigger properly in PSO for some reason.

Par Score

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but Volt Ops is so much worse for desync and general jankiness than seemingly any other area of the game.

I know that fight does a few weird 'behind the scenes' things in a different way to the rest of the game, so maybe it's just harder to 'emulate'. Or maybe it was always a hack job and I've just forgotten it was always a little broken.

I really like the flow of the combat. The interplay between the combo system, the various enemy AI, and unique and situational abilities. It's just really satisfying to perfect the most efficient flow for a given situation and execute it, just like finding your optimal 'rotation' in a more traditional MMO.

Also, the whole presentation is just fantastic, but especially the music and sound effects. Some of the best sound design ever.

Top Bottom